• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The National - Sleep Well Beast |OT| The genius we've been waiting years for

Icolin

Banned
Details on the 7th album from The National. Comes out on Friday, September 8th 2017.

file

Tracklist:

1. Nobody Else Will Be There
2. Day I Die (music video)
3. Walk It Back
4. The System Only Dreams in Total Darkness (music video)
5. Born to Beg
6. Turtleneck
7. Empire Line
8. I'll Still Destroy You
9. Guilty Party (music video)
10. Carin at the Liquor Store (music video)
11. Dark Side of the Gym
12. Sleep Well Beast
iTunes
Spotify
Pitchfork Interview
NPR: First Listen Live

Who are The National?

screen-shot-2015-08-23-at-2-34-24-pm.png

The National is an American indie rock band from Cincinnati, Ohio, formed in 1999. Currently based in Brooklyn, the band consists of Matt Berninger (vocals), Aaron Dessner (guitar, keyboards), Bryce Dessner (guitar), Scott Devendorf (bass) and Bryan Devendorf (drums).

Previous Discography (aka "I liked this album, what else have they released?")

The National (debut album, released in 2001)

Tracklist:

1. Beautiful Head
2. Cold Girl Fever
3. The Perfect Song
4. American Mary
5. Son
6. Pay for Me
7. Bitters & Absolut
8. John's Star
9. Watching You Well
10. Theory of the Crows
11. 29 Years
12. Anna Freud

iTunes
Spotify

Sad Songs for Dirty Lovers (2nd album, released in 2003)

Tracklist:

1. Cardinal Song
2. Slipping Husband
3. 90-Mile Water Wall
4. It Never Happened
5. Murder Me Rachael
6. Thirsty
7. Available
8. Sugar Wife
9. Trophy Wife
10. Fashion Coat
11. Patterns of Fairytales
12. Lucky You

iTunes
Spotify

Cherry Tree (EP, released in 2004)

Tracklist:
1. Wasp Nest
2. All the Wine
3. All Dolled-Up in Straps
4. Cherry Tree
5. About Today
6. Murder Me Rachael
7. A Reasonable Man (I Don't Mind)

iTunes
Spotify

Alligator (3rd album, released in 2005)

Tracklist:

1. Secret Meeting
2. Karen
3. Lit Up (music video)
4. Looking for Astronauts
5. Daughters of the SoHo Riots
6. Baby, We'll Be Fine
7. Friend of Mine
8. Val Jester
9. All The Wine
10. Abel (music video)
11. The Geese of Beverly Road
12. City Middle
13. Mr. November

iTunes
Spotify

Boxer (4th album, released in 2007)

Tracklist:

1. Fake Empire
2. Mistaken for Strangers (music video)
3. Brainy
4. Squalor Victoria
5. Green Gloves
6. Slow Show
7. Apartment Story (music video)
8. Start a War
9. Guest Room
10. Racing Like a Pro
11. Ada
12. Gospel

iTunes
Spotify

The Virginia EP (released in 2008)

Tracklist:

1. You've Done It Again, Virginia
2. Santa Clara
3. Blank Slate
4. Tall Saint (Demo)
5. Without Permission
6. Forever After Days (Demo)
7. Rest of Years (Demo)
8. Slow Show (Demo)
9. Lucky You (Daytrotter Session)
10. Mansion on the Hill (Live)
11. Fake Empire (Live)
12. About Today (Live)

iTunes
Spotify

High Violet (5th album, released in 2010)

Tracklist:

1. Terrible Love
2. Sorrow
3. Anyone's Ghost
4. Little Faith
5. Afraid of Everyone
6. Bloodbuzz Ohio (music video)
7. Lemonworld
8. Runaway
9. Conversation 16 (music video)
10. England
11. Vanderlyle Crybaby Geeks

iTunes
Spotify

Trouble Will Find Me (6th album, released in 2013)

Tracklist:

1. I Should Live in Salt
2. Demons
3. Don't Swallow the Cap
4. Fireproof
5. Sea of Love (music video)
6. Heavenfaced
7. This Is the Last Time
8. Graceless (music video)
9. Slipped
10. I Need My Girl (music video)
11. Humiliation
12. Pink Rabbits
13. Hard to Find

iTunes
Spotify

Documentaries

A Skin, A Night (documentary, released in 2008)

The film documents the recording process of the band's fourth studio album, Boxer (2007).

YouTube

Mistaken for Strangers (documentary, released in 2013)

When The National goes on tour in 2010, singer Matt Berninger invites his younger brother Tom to tour with them as part of the crew. Tom aspires to be a filmmaker and documents The National being on tour, as well as the process of himself making a film about his successful older brother.

iTunes

Live Performances (my personal favourites)

The National - Live at Sydney Opera House (Recorded on the forecourt of the Sydney Opera House on February 8th, 2014)

The National - Live at Roskilde (2013 at the Roskilde festival in Denmark)

The National - Live at Øyafestivalen (2014 at the Øyafestivalen festival in Oslo, Norway)

The National: NPR Music Tiny Desk Concert (recorded in 2013)

The lyric in the |OT| is from 'Turtleneck' off of Sleep Well Beast (it's a condensed version of the line because the whole line can't fit in the title), and was suggested by Moozo. Shoutouts to equippedwithtowel who also suggested a great title.

Icolin

Banned
This thread's going up earlier than I'd probably like it to because

- it leaked
- I'm heading on 5 consecutive flights
- I'm in China so there's timezones and all that jazz
- 2 days of pre (official) release hype is fun

B33

Banned
The National is my favorite band and I adore everything I've heard from this new album so far.

Blader

What I've heard of the album (which is most of it at this point) sounds pretty good. Looking forward to seeing them next month.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
My vinyl copy came today. I haven't listened to it yet because I actually forgot I ordered it and am not sure I want to keep it; I have nowhere to put any more records.

Easily, my most anticipated album of 2017. "The system only dreams in total darkness" is amazing, so the hype is through the roofs.

Servbot24

Banned
Boxer is an all time great to me, I don't think they'll ever touch it.

The new one is really good though. This band's consistency is remarkable.

Damn, and I still haven't got around to listening to Queens of the Stone Age or LCD yet. St. Vincent is just a month away as well. That's a bunch of most likely quality music in a short timeframe.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, and I still haven't got around to listening to Queens of the Stone Age or LCD yet. St. Vincent is just a month away as well. That's a bunch of most likely quality music in a short timeframe.

Yes! So much good music in a single year. If Sharon Von Etten announced a new album for this year, I'd be going insane.

Laekon

One of my favorite bands but haven't really loved them live. Probably listened to Trouble Will Find Me more then anything else but got into with Boxer like most people probably did. I've listed to some of the new tracks but they didn't really draw me in.

Wow, legit very excited. The last album they released was absolutely phenomenal.

The interim solo stuff didn't do it for me like the band releases so putting some hope it's as good.

A quietly good year of music for me. Grizzly bear, some new beach house, and the fleet Foxes album (that I only listened to partly). Outside of the small things like Robert Ashley's new album this is something I've been looking forward to.

Socreges

Banned
Woah out of nowhere for me. Definitely asking for this for my bday...

Woot! Seeing them in nyc this fall. One of the best live bands I’ve seen.

Album sounds great so far
I discovered The National by seeing them open for REM in 2008. Had never even heard of them before that day. Blew me away and instantly became one of my favourite bands.

WriterGK

Yeah.Finally a The National topic on GAF, I am psyched.
They are my favorite band in the world. I have listened to most songs between 20-2000 times. Squalor Victoria from Boxer I have listen to at least 1800 times.
I love all there songs and albums. Only the 2001 haven't to listened to quite enough.
I am excited for Sleep Well Beast.

groansey

Alligator is an all-timer. The b-sides from it are amazing too. Worth checking out the live "Black Sessions" these guys did around 2005-2007.

The Wart

Album is fantastic. I've been listening to the vinyl rip that's been floating around, but I'm excited for my iTunes copy tomorrow.

Favorite so far for me is probably Nobody Else Will Be There.

For anyone who can't wait until tomorrow, check out the show they recorded for NPR. They performed the entire new album in order.

http://www.npr.org/event/music/5458...en-live-presented-by-world-cafe-and-npr-music

I was lucky enough to be at the live NPR event, which was an awesome experience. It was a mid-sized venue, which I didn't think I'd ever get to see them in again now that they're playing arenas. But they are just not an arena band to me.

Still digesting the album. I love a lot of parts, but I think it's different enough from what they've done before that I feel like the whole hasn't come into focus for me yet. It feels like it swings rapidly between various extremes. However, The System Only Dreams in Total Darkness might be my favorite song of theirs ever.

hollomat

Banned
I was lucky enough to be at the live NPR event, which was an awesome experience. It was a mid-sized venue, which I didn't think I'd ever get to see them in again now that they're playing arenas. But they are just not an arena band to me.

Still digesting the album. I love a lot of parts, but I think it's different enough from what they've done before that I feel like the whole hasn't come into focus for me yet. It feels like it swings rapidly between various extremes. However, The System Only Dreams in Total Darkness might be my favorite song of theirs ever.

Awesome! Yeah Ive been a fan since alligator and the more intimate venues have always been so much more enjoyable than the arena I saw them in on the Trouble Will Find Me Tour. Unfortunately they're doing an arena near me on the new tour so I'll be skipping it. But I am very happy they've found success!

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Heads up: they're performing on The Late Show tonight.

Also, does anyone want to buy my vinyl copy (blue pressing)? Like I said earlier, I completely forgot I ordered it and haven't even opened the package. I'd let it go for $19 shipped. PM me if interested.

Got introduced to The National by a friend back when High Violet came out and they have been a staple of my life ever since. Can listen to their entire discography back to front and love every second of it.

I am very excited for this album.

I'd also recommend the new Nadine Shah album, which just came out a week or so ago.

So far this album is quite pleasing. Need more listens!

Icolin

Banned
The System Only Dreams in Total Darkness is becoming one of my favourite songs by The National. Probably in my top 5 with Lemonworld, Vanderlyle Crybaby Geeks, About Today, and Mr. November.

Bryan Devendorf's drumming is the best in the business.

zeitgeist

Can't wait for this. I should be coming home next week with the vinyl hanging out in my mailbox.

The 3 tracks I've heard so far are amazing.

Icolin

Banned
Excellent album. I loved their last one, but this one rips. Can't wait to keep listening.

Sounds like it's a return to the intensity of their earlyish stuff. That's not a knock on High Violet or Trouble Will Find Me, which are great albums, but I kinda miss Matt Berninger screaming like he did on Abel, for instance. So excited to hear this thing in its entirety.

Servbot24

Banned
Sounds like it's a return to the intensity of their earlyish stuff. That's not a knock on High Violet or Trouble Will Find Me, which are great albums, but I kinda miss Matt Beringer screaming like he did on Abel, for instance. So excited to hear this thing in its entirety.

It's not that at all. It's a very chill album with mainly just one "rocker" song.

Icolin

Banned
It's not that at all. It's a very chill album with mainly just one "rocker" song.

That's cool too. I guess I get my fix of intensity from The National at their live shows. Best live act I think I've ever seen, other than Kanye (specifically at Coachella 2011).

It's been fine whenever I've seen The National, so I'm not sure about that.

Mostly when he tries to scream is sounds very strained. He still sounds great on albums though, and they put on a great live show no doubt. I've seen them 3 times, with tickets for February!

ghostjoke

Banned
I'm finding myself appreciating another song with each listen.

Anyone know where the bit "Roosevelt bedroom" bit from Walk It Back is from? I know the "reality-based community" bit but can't find anything about the former.

It's a good album but I just feel they haven't been able to match Boxer ever. That album is damn near perfection (minus the trumpets at the end of Fake Empire kinda ruining the vibe of the track)

But this is solid work. I'm enjoying it

Top Bottom