• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Needle Drop pioneered music reviews. His other channel was for the alt-rights

Big Brett

i took thatistheplan as a satirical take on like 65% of his fanbase, /mu/. which is indeed vile. sort of a self-aware pandering of sorts. I dunno it was definitely edgy and definitely not for me. mostly I just like his opinion on music.

Catvoca

Banned
Hyde’s conversation with Fantano is horrific, offensive, and enlightening as to where both men stand. Fair warning: he describes raping and murdering her. At one point Hyde brings up Lena Dunham and describes in detail what he’d like to do to the actress. “‘I’ll take extra time, OK?” he says. “I’ll be nailing her, I’ll be punching her in the back of the neck, I’ll be boxing her eyes in. I’ll break both her orbital bones. I’m gonna destroy Lena Dunham so badly that the people that come to clean her up, they’re gonna be puking when they see what I did to her. I want them to know how I feel about her, so I’m gonna fuck her up so bad that they’re gonna puke when they see her bruised mangled body.”You might be wondering what exactly the joke is here, but Fantano finds the bit hilarious — he laughs along without challenging Hyde. Nor does he push back when the pasty comedian says that he’s “strapped with my niggas,” or when he complains about “the government giving women a paycheck to use their pussies like ATMs and crap out kids.” Fantano just chuckles.

On June 8, 2016, he uploaded a video called “Trigglypuff MEME REVIEW (#MessageToFeminists).” It has since been reuploaded by another user, and you can watch it here. It’s a dissection of a viral clip in which a protester yells at Milo Yiannapolous during a campus appearance — Fantano calls the protestor, who was nicknamed Trigglypuff by 4Chan, a “Hostess cake huffer” and a “loud obnoxious pig of a human being,” and awards the video ”500 points … for an accurate portrayal of social justice slacktivism.” He describes social justice advocates as “walking cringe compilations” and fills the screen with images of women he believes fit that description, including the aforementioned Sarkeesian and Emma Sulkowicz, known for carrying a mattress around Columbia University in protest of the school’s refusal to expel her alleged rapist. Fantano has chosen to paste the phrase “fuck me in the but” [sic] over her image, a reference to a text Sulkowicz allegedly sent to her rapist, which, according to anti-feminist bloggers, proves her rape claim was a hoax.
In July, 2016, Fantano appeared in a video called “QUESTIONS WHITE MEN HAVE FOR SJWs!” Posted and commission by TJ Kirk, also known as the Amazing Atheist, it brought together a group of prominent political YouTubers: Sargon of Akkad, a talking suit of armor called the Armoured Skeptic, and an anthropomorphic kangaroo called Atheism is Unstoppable. They take turns posing questions to an imagined audience of SJWs. Speakers ask things like, “Do you realize that your war on language has made you bedfellows with true rape culture … Islam?” and “Why is it if that if a woman dresses sexy or even topless in public you support it, but if its a female videogame character you want her clothed more modestly?” And here comes Fantano: ”What do you think will happen when you leave your safe space?” he growls. After more questions from the other YouTubers, Fantano closes the video with a sight gag. “Have you guys ever tried drinking this shit?” he asks, holding up a bottle of bleach. “It’s great!”

I'm sure he was just being ironic, nothing suspect here.

remz

Man I used to like his videos but lately I haven't been watching his shit at all. The Fantano going off the rails in one year kinda lines up with when I stopped watching so much. This shit has soured me hardcore on him.

The Article said:
In short, Fantano may have discerned from the popularity of his friends like Sam Hyde and Sargon of Akkad — not to mention his own icon status on /mu/ — that a market existed for reactionary video content. He understands his own audience (94 percent male, according to the Spin profile), and he realized he could double his money by posting on two separate channels — one for music lovers, and one for edgelords. One for people interested in his take on rap music, one for people who want to laugh at his crude rapper parodies.

The take that reflects best on him is that he's taking advantage of a gullible audience (red pillers) to make some fast cash. but even that sucks. I'm unsubbed/not watching anymore. It's not like he ever put me on to anything I wasn't listening to already

There's no need to go this far in criticism of Theneedledrop, by all possible metrics he's at minimum a decent person with decent views, going solely off of his channel.

Calling him alt-right is absurd even if some of his relationships with said other YouTubers are iffy.

pigeon

Banned
i took thatistheplan as a satirical take on like 65% of his fanbase, /mu/. which is indeed vile. sort of a self-aware pandering of sorts.

Yup, it's pretty common for people to attract a bunch of terrible people to be their audience and then create content that exists only to mock those terrible people.

This makes no sense. If you think the majority of the fanbase for his reviews is alt-right assholes, maybe that should be your first clue that something is wrong.

PillarEN

never fucked with this dude and i blocked my friends who all told me to listen to death grips and swans. i dont fuck with him and i dont fuck with you if you fuck with him if you get what i mean

Swans and Death Grips are good recommendations though. Those friends were trying to give a helping hand even if it may not be your style.

pablito

never fucked with this dude and i blocked my friends who all told me to listen to death grips and swans. i dont fuck with him and i dont fuck with you if you fuck with him if you get what i mean

Why would you block people who recommend Death Grips and Swans.

And I hate when people act like liking Death Grips is a Fantano thing. Now it's Swans, too? FOH other people can like them just fine.

And I hate when people act like liking Death Grips is a Fantano thing. Now it's Swans, too? FOH other people can like them just fine.
I don't care about Death Grips but Swans is a great band.

I'm going to have to strongly think about this. The dude has put out vids that talk about the importance of listening to minority voices and fighting injustices. Idk what two-face game he's trying to play but it's confusing the fuck out of me.

krazen

There's no need to go this far in criticism of Theneedledrop, by all possible metrics he's at minimum a decent person with decent views, going solely off of his channel.

Calling him alt-right is absurd even if some of his relationships with said other YouTubers are iffy.

LOL. The whole article is the fact that by 'all possible metrics' he's not a decent person and in a BEST case scenario sees exploiting alt-right views under edglord behavior is a great way to make cash. Might not make him alt-right, but def. makes him a shitty person willing to fan racist/misogynistic content for dem views

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
running with those folks is a lot to go through for some irony

how do you ironically kick it with Sargon

robotrock

Banned

I am just suspicious of people who recommend me death grips and swans in the same sentence. that has me thinking "oh shit i know where you got this from, blocked!"

jwhit28

It always seemed like he was making fun of them to me. I only saw the "____ is the best rapper in the world "videos and some of the dumb meme reviews, but it seemed about as alt-right as The Colbert Report was a conservative show.

Shit I had no idea. I was just subbed to get new music recommendations. unsubscribed.

That easy alt-right money must be damn tempting for a lot of YouTubers. Must be why so many of them don't call each other out or their own audiences.
The dude has been courting the 4chan audience for many years, this is before the alt-right was a thing. He did /mu/ shoutouts way back in the day when he first got popular.

robotrock

Banned
It always seemed like he was making fun of them to me. I only saw the "____ is the best rapper in the world "videos and some of the dumb meme reviews, but it seemed about as alt-right as The Colbert Report was a conservative show.

You either die a hero

or live long enough to see yourself become the villain

Merc_

Whoa another youtuber is a garbage human being!? You don't say.

Ah, I see people are already making excuses for him too. I love the predictably of this stuff now.

Gattsu25

Banned
HapctcT.png

http://chainsawsuit.com/comic/archive/2017/05/18/its-very-subtle/

Yeah, this covers it pretty well.

Yall need to read the damn article. This is primarily why I don't fuck with this dude at all and haven't watched a single video since maybe early 2016?

MartyStu

Hmm.

I like his reviews, but not enough to continue following him.

He has some pretty solid progressive opinions on his reviews, but I have always suspected something like this.

Oh well.

*Unsubs*

This thread makes it pretty clear just how easy it is for YouTubers to get away with the shit so many of them do.

Conservative AM radio for the Young Generation is the perfect description

I’m a huge fan of Fantano and found his other channel a few months this ago. The video were pretty good at times.

It was just heavily satirical and ironic.

Some of you guys are taking this way too far. Fantano is not alt-right.

big ander

Would be lying if I said I didn't enjoy some of his reviews 5 years ago—he definitely turned me on to some stuff—but his reviews got worse and worse at the same time he started doing more side channel stuff and buying into the /mu/ view of him as an Important Critic. He's unbearable now and has been for years.

LOL. The whole article is the fact that by 'all possible metrics' he's not a decent person and in a BEST case scenario sees exploiting alt-right views under edglord behavior is a great way to make cash.
He attracts meme culture, this extends towards Leftist/liberal memer's and the such.
A lot of his videos blatantly express views that go directly against alt-right ideology, from race to politics to feminism and the such.

I'm not a fan of the material described in the article, and as I've posted on this site in the past, I don't like his fliriting with that aspect of YouTube, but as a whole he's far from "compromised" or belonging to that group.

Bronx-Man

Banned
In all seriousness: the only reason anyone even knew Fantano to start was because /mu/ deified him into some music critic meme god. Those dudes carried him to success for 10 years and he never had a problem with it. He was gonna repay the favor eventually.

I’m a huge fan of Fantano and found his other channel channel a few months this ago. The video were pretty good at times.

Yeah it's all so satirical he keeps showing up in videoes with the usual suspects and everything

just gonna ironically invite a white supremacist on his podcast to ironically laugh at how stupid feminists and liberals are ironically.

pigeon

Banned
He's not alt-right, he just literally did a podcast with Sargon of Akkad.

You people must really love random music reviews if you prefer deceiving yourself to admitting this guy is clearly a Nazi.

This thread makes it pretty clear just how easy it is for YouTubers to get away with the shit so many of them do.

Conservative AM radio for the Young Generation is the perfect description
He made a video I think last month defending LGBT themes in rap music and making fun of people that think it's forced. Forgive us if we don't know how to exactly take this.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Eh, he has had some bullshitty centrelist views that I disagree with, but has called out a lot of right leaning shit as well, and his other channel is a dumb channel where he reviews memes and it's completely satire. This article seems to think the second channel is completely series and not at all satirical.

I’m a huge fan of Fantano and found his other channel a few months this ago. The video were pretty good at times.

The point isn't whether or not he's alt-right but the fact he is feeding into the alt-right

Yeah, I don't see the connection between a person who sincerely loves albums from Janelle Monae, Kendrick Lamar, Milo and other rather unapologetically black/feminist artists and some 4chan alt-right memelord. Like, he would almost necessarily have to be one or the other. I genuinely can't wrap my head around a person agreeing with an ideology that is basically generic brand white supremacy while also loving some very politically left-leaning albums and citing those political ideas as part of the reasons he appreciates said music. He regularly calls artists out for oversimplifying or generalizing issues to an extent that, on most topics, I'd say he has a solid grasp of the ideas and supports them. I really can't work out the ability for a person to be both who he is on Needledrop and the person he is on Thatistheplan.

I also don't want to be the person who gives a pass to someone just because I enjoy their content, but I honestly have a real hard time seeing the accusation here the way I do with someone like pewdiepie who's pretty obviously a racist asshole.

pigeon

Banned
Have you ever watched any of the videos he has now deleted?

There is nothing ‘feeding into the alt-right' about them.

That explains why he felt the need to delete them all of a sudden when a journalist asked about them.

But why don't you tell us what's so good about those videos?

Top Bottom