• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Needle Drop pioneered music reviews. His other channel was for the alt-rights

I’m a huge fan of Fantano and found his other channel channel a few months this ago. The video were pretty good at times.

It was just heavily satirical and ironic.

Some of you guys are taking this way too far. Fantano is not alt-right.
Did you read the article even? Dude puts up anti-feminist rants, collaborates with other alt-right people, laughs along while they berate women, makes jokes about black musicians a lot (and nothing for white musicians), reps a white supremacist nation, among other examples in the article. He does everything an alt-right person would.

Jeels

When you look at twitch and youtube stars you'll see there's money to be made feeding into the insecurities of primarily single white men who spend all their time on the internet...

Toxi

Banned
Did you read the article even? Dude puts up anti-feminist rants, collaborates with other alt-right people, laughs along while they berate women, makes jokes about black musicians a lot (and nothing for white musicians), reps a white supremacist nation, among other examples in the article. He does everything an alt-right person would.
Dude's not into bestiality, he's just ironically fucking that goat.

He's not alt-right, he just literally did a podcast with Sargon of Akkad.

You people must really love random music reviews if you prefer deceiving yourself to admitting this guy is clearly a Nazi.
Or maybe calling someone like Fantano a Nazi is absurd.
I don't agree with everything he's done or said, for example his recent video on Pewdiepie was far too weak and didn't even attack the core of the issue, but he's not "that".
The dude has been courting the 4chan audience for many years, this is before the alt-right was a thing. He did /mu/ shoutouts way back in the day when he first got popular.
/mu/ has always been one of the last septic communities on 4chan, though that hasn't been the case for the last year or two, when I first started using it and before I left, there was still a strongish left-leaning demographic to the place.
Not anymore though from what I've seen.
This thread makes it pretty clear just how easy it is for YouTubers to get away with the shit so many of them do.

Conservative AM radio for the Young Generation is the perfect description
I agree with this sentiment and have been expressing it for at least two years at this point, but Fantano is not that or at least isn't to the extent of other's, and if he was could theoretically easily move away from that croud.

Kelsdesu

Another pretentious music critic amongst a long line of pretentious critics. Who as it happens is a 4chan fucktard. Not surprised at all.

That explains why he felt the need to delete them all of a sudden when a journalist asked about them.

But why don't you tell us what's so good about those videos?

There’s nothing “so good” about them. Some of them were ironically funny. Lots of random stuff, hyperbole, and memes thrown into one video. I’ve only watched a few.

Im a Fan his main channel where he reviews music in a serious matter.

You can only take so much of the ridiculous memes he makes.

Not true.

Have you ever watched any of the videos he has now deleted?

There is nothing ‘feeding into the alt-right' about them.

Yes he is feeding into the alt right with his other channel and yes I have seen the videos. It's why I've stopped watching him completely a good year ago. If you would read the article it goes into detail about how. The article even acknowledges this might just be another "persona" for him which I took it as satire first but you cannot say the same for his target audience

That explains why he felt the need to delete them all of a sudden

Is it not possible he might have decided they were hurting his beliefs more than helping and that's why they were deleted? Or that he didn't like The crowd they were attracting and soured on the whole endeavor? The middle of the venn diagram of people who love afro-futurist albums like Janelle Monae's Archandroid and people who subscribe to white nationalist beliefs would probably be Anthony Fantano alone, so I find it hard to believe he supports the alt-right agenda.

Rmagnus

Banned
Ah yes the old , I like this person he can't be alt right cos reasons even though the facts are staring you in the face. You know it's fine to like alt right ppl if that's your thing. Don't need to get yourself all twisted over it when he likely had no idea of your existence.

Fantano being trash is old news. It's been known since at least 2014 when he pandered to gamergaters with his Sarkessian 'critique'.

Edit: Oh the article actually goes over that.

pigeon

Banned
Is it not possible he might have decided they were hurting his beliefs more than helping and that's why they were deleted? Or that he didn't like The crowd they were attracting and soured on the whole endeavor?

Why did he delete them immediately after a journalist called him and asked about them, then didn't send any response to the journalist?

If you find yourself working for a while to come up with a response to that question that satisfies you, ask yourself why.

I like some of fantano's reviews and perspective on music, but definitely all that other shit...call it alt-right jokes, call it ironic post-meme deconstructionism, whatever...that shit is so tired to me man. I just don't really want to sit there for 10+ minutes watching the dude do amateur physical comedy and meme magic, and do bit after bit about X woman/minority who has X strong opinion that's different from Anthony's.

EDIT: i'm old af in internet years, 33, so maybe I just don't get the kids and their modern ironic racist meme magic

KDC720

I know he rode the "both candidates are awful" train during the election but he always seemed pretty liberal guy to me.

I always thought the meme review on his other channel was meant to be a dumb goofy parody thing, never really struck as straight up courting the alt right but some of his editorials as of late have been pretty questionable.

Wouldn't be surprised if he is at this point, never really followed him too much before this year.

EDIT: Saw he did a video with that scumbag Sargon, not a great look and pretty much killed any credibility that he ever had.

Is it not possible he might have decided they were hurting his beliefs more than helping and that's why they were deleted? Or that he didn't like The crowd they were attracting and soured on the whole endeavor? The middle of the venn diagram of people who love afro-futurist albums like Janelle Monae's Archandroid and people who subscribe to white nationalist beliefs would probably be Anthony Fantano alone, so I find it hard to believe he supports the alt-right agenda.
Even if he did play up to this alt right audience just for the views, that doesn't exactly paint him in a good light.

JKM78613

Neo Member
“Irony has only emergency use. Carried over time, it is the voice of the trapped who have come to enjoy the cage.”

Lewis Hyde didn't know how perfectly he'd go on to sum up the Alt-Right/Proud Boys position.

collige

Banned
He's definitely been on quite a bit of more than suspect shit, but I think the more damning evidence is the Sargon and Twitter stuff rather than anything he posted on thatistheplan. The bit about X is a huge reach especially considering that X and his fanbase deserve every bit of mockery coming to them.

Yes he is feeding into the alt right with his other channel and yes I have seen the videos. It's why I've stopped watching him completely a good year ago. If you would read the article it goes into detail about how. The article even acknowledges this might just be another "persona" for him

I wasn’t aware of him collabing with alt-right people, never even heard of that Sargon guy.

But other than that, calling him a Nazi or Alt-right is a little far fetched.

Catvoca

Banned
I really suggest people go back and read this post before jumping to this guys defense

I really question how many people saying his stuff was all just satire have read the article. I don't think he's a "nazi" (I believe he is married to a black woman), but come on, if interviews in which he nods his head as Sam Hyde and Sargon of Akkad spout their racist mysoginistic shit, and videos in which he mocks "the SJWs" and supports GG don't set off alarm bells then I don't know what will.

Slayven

I really question how many people saying his stuff was all just satire have read the article. I don't think he's a "nazi" (I believe he is married to a black women), but come on, if interviews in which he nods his head as Sam Hyde and Sargon of Akkad spout their racist mysoginistic shit, and videos in which he mocks "the SJWs" and supports GG don't set off alarm bells then I don't know what will.

Why do people keep saying this?

There's no need to go this far in criticism of Theneedledrop, by all possible metrics he's at minimum a decent person with decent views, going solely off of his channel.

Calling him alt-right is absurd even if some of his relationships with said other YouTubers are iffy.

Even if he was at minimum a “decent” person, trying to cash in on the alt-right movement and giving a voice to some of it’s YouTube heros legitimizes them. The comments in the videos show that the “irony” is lost on most of their viewership. It spreads the hate just as far and wide as some of the “serious” alt-right sites.

He has to be media savvy enough to see that. How could you stand for tolerance while fueling these hateful fucks?

You're literally the guy who argued that calling 4chan alt-right was absurd.

Forgive me if I don't take your word for who is and who isn't alt-right.
I said /mu/, which I defined as an individual community.
I think it would be fair to consider it that now though, as whenever I check back in it's not the idealized, trash filled but not the same as the rest, place I remembered.
I wasn't even actively using /mu/ during that time period, as I remember saying, just for major album release threads.

OIEJVbM.jpg

He started the channel in 2007

5 seconds, 10 years...

Even if he was at minimum a “decent” person, trying to cash in on the alt-right movement and giving a voice to some of it’s YouTube heros legitimizes them. The comments in the videos show that the “irony” is lost on most of their viewership. It spreads the hate just as far and wide as some of the “serious” alt-right sites.

He has to be media savvy enough to see that. How could you stand for tolerance while fueling these hateful fucks?

Thank you! This is seemingly flying over their heads. I cannot fuck with this dude simply because of this

robotrock

Banned
He's definitely been on quite a bit of more than suspect shit, but I think the more damning evidence is the Sargon and Twitter stuff rather than anything he posted on thatistheplan. The bit about X is a huge reach especially considering that X and his fanbase beserve every bit of mockery coming to them.

His Twitter/Tumblr prescense has been pretty bad for a few years at least now. Didn't know about much stuff going around on his second channel other than the Sam Hyde interview.

He had some words on tumblr for Feminist Frequency that sure weren't great. Don't know if they're in the article or not.

Even if he did play up to this alt right audience just for the views, that doesn't exactly paint him in a good light.
I agree, but that take seems more accurate to me than the notion that he is simultaneously the person who appreciates some very left-leaning political music with a fairly nuanced understanding of it and also a person who supports moving toward a white supremacist patriarchy.

rexor0717

Still watch a bunch of needle drop videos, and I'd watched some of his other channel a while back. Had no idea that channel took a turn for the worse. Hrm...I'd like to hear him respond, but I might have to drop him. I'm definitely willing to give him some slack because he has plenty of progressive politics on the needle drop. Seems like he may have memed too hard.

I noticed this a few months ago. Stopped watching his videos at that point. Such a shame, because I liked his music reviews.

Kusagari

If the other channel was completely satirical and riffing on the alt-right why would he frequently do friendly videos with Sargon and other alt-right figureheads?

Doesn’t really make a lot of sense to me!

Why did he delete them immediately after a journalist called him and asked about them, then didn't send any response to the journalist?

If you find yourself working for a while to come up with a response to that question that satisfies you, ask yourself why.

The most honest answer I can give is that I don't know. Thatistheplan was not in some hidden bunker, it was a series of public videos, so it's not as though the journalist unearthed some dark secret. I would expect that Fantano will give some sort of explanation for why he did that beyond the few tweets that are apparently out there, at which point I can decide if his rationale is up to snuff. But, truly, any response at the moment beyond "I'm not sure" would be dishonest of me to say.

I agree, but that take seems more accurate to me than the notion that he is simultaneously the person who appreciates some very left-leaning political music with a fairly nuanced understanding of it and also a person who supports moving toward a white supremacist patriarchy.

With all the shit I've seen get appropriated by the alt-right regardless of the subject matter's core message, it honestly isn't that hard to buy.

Top Bottom