• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Needle Drop pioneered music reviews. His other channel was for the alt-rights

remz

sam hyde/trolling the alt right shit has basically the same effect as saying it unironically, the internet removes all context in something that might be done sarcastically.

If you are going to make a case for this, your best arguments are going to be in appearing on that podcast or meeting with other YouTubers.

I believe at one point the article says that PewDiePie and Paul Joseph Watson are his colleagues despite him denouncing things they've done in the past, which is a bit strange. The videos about 'Is _ the best rapper?' pretty clearly seemed to be made about dumb comments his fans would make. As for why there would be no white artists made fun of in this segment, well, it's about rappers. Most of the popular ones aren't white, at least those popular with the crowd who'd watch music reviews.

As for the interviews they mentioned, I haven't seen them, but I did watch a few of the videos on thatistheplan. I don't know how I would describe those videos, and I don't think it's necessarily fair to say the channel was for 'alt-rights' when outside of a few videos it's just dumb comedy, and most of the more problematic areas occur outside of the thatistheplan channel.

Anung

Un Rama
And youtubers wonder why the money is drying up fast

Thats the hilarious irony about this. He's moaning on his twitter about not being able to monetise these videos but it's the audience he's catering to that has dried the well up.

If you are going to make a case for this, your best arguments are going to be in appearing on that podcast or meeting with other YouTubers.

I believe at one point the article says that PewDiePie and Paul Joseph Watson are his colleagues despite him denouncing things they've done in the past, which is a bit strange. The videos about 'Is _ the best rapper?' pretty clearly seemed to be made about dumb comments his fans would make. As for why there would be no white artists made fun of in this segment, well, it's about rappers. Most of the popular ones aren't white, at least those popular with the crowd who'd watch music reviews.

As for the interviews they mentioned, I haven't seen them, but I did watch a few of the videos on thatistheplan. I don't know how I would describe those videos, and I don't think it's necessarily fair to say the channel was for 'alt-rights' when outside of a few videos it's just dumb comedy, and most of the more problematic areas occur outside of the thatistheplan channel.
He just had a video demolishing a Lil Dicky album, which he's done in the past, and he's a white "rapper".

He just had a video demolishing a Lil Dicky album, which he's done in the past, and he's a white "rapper".

He did, but I was more referring to the article's reference to the 'Is ___ the best rapper?'

If we were to include simply making fun of any act in a review, then certainly he's made fun of many acts (Corey Feldman probably the most), but I don't think that's what the article was referring to (thatistheplan)

pigeon

Banned
The most honest answer I can give is that I don't know. Thatistheplan was not in some hidden bunker, it was a series of public videos, so it's not as though the journalist unearthed some dark secret. I would expect that Fantano will give some sort of explanation for why he did that beyond the few tweets that are apparently out there, at which point I can decide if his rationale is up to snuff. But, truly, any response at the moment beyond "I'm not sure" would be dishonest of me to say.

That's fair.

I have a theory that fits all the facts, though. Maybe it deserves some consideration!

JKM78613

Neo Member
Thats the hilarious irony about this. He's moaning on his twitter about not being able to monetise these videos but it's the audience he's catering to that has dried the well up.

I sense that this was a quick reason he drummed up because he's unwilling to acknowledge the real reason he quickly deleted the channel. He's a coward who knows he can't actually defend the content he's created because there's no way to extract it from "real" alt-right behavior.

"The Problem with Irony", indeed.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Before, I just didn't like him because he gave me douche chills. Now I now my douchedar is functioning perfectly.

Slayven

I sense that this was a quick reason he drummed up because he's unwilling to acknowledge the real reason he quickly deleted the channel. He's a coward who knows he can't actually defend the content he's created because there's no way to extract it from "real" alt-right behavior.

"The Problem with Irony", indeed.

How long until "MSM is out to get me!!"

Never liked his reviews, but the only other thing I knew about him is he's done videos with BIGQUINT and DEHH, so kinda surprised by this alty meme lord fuckery.

I bet the people surprised by this are the same that are 'surprised' when learning H3H3 strokes the same crowd.
I'll admit that I'm probably just biased because I like him, when I've never been a fan of H3H3 and disavowed their channel because of the same things this article is getting at Fantano for.
Edit:
I just don't see him the same way as this thread, even though I've brought up these issues with him in that past, unprompted by anyone else, so I've clearly seen it there.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
OIEJVbM.jpg

Had no idea this guy had redpilled so hard. To immerse himself so deep in black culture and then go super hardcore alt-right is quite the trajectory.

Oh shit now I understand the whole Milkshake Duck thing. I was afraid to ask and look stupid haha.

JKM78613

Neo Member
How long until "MSM is out to get me!!"

I actually wouldn't be surprised if he tries the "Louis C.K." route and just stays deathly quiet until the problems go away.

I agree with the article's writer in that Fantano was clearly latching onto something in hopes of generating a quick grift. It still makes him a heinous idiot for not seeming to understand the implications of any of it, but he may think if he just goes back to music criticism only, the wider world will move on.

He's not alt-right, he just literally did a podcast with Sargon of Akkad.

You people must really love random music reviews if you prefer deceiving yourself to admitting this guy is clearly a Nazi.

Sargon is a moronic mediocrity who can't debate his way out of a paper bag, but "Nazi" is a pretty ridiculous characterization of him.

kulapik

I don't think he's an alt-right guy, as he has shown on his reviews and on Twitter to be pretty liberal, but the videos he was doing on that channel, even if they were sarcastic/ironic (two words that have basically lost all meaning at this point) he was basically catering to that 4chan audience he has and finded him hilarious. I won't miss the channel, so I'm glad that he deleted it even if it's kind of a "hiding evidence" situation.

This can’t look good for the DEHH guys since they’ve done stuff with him recently as well
Fantano's been cool with and promoted stuff from them for years, they won't care.
Myke would probably agree with a lot of what he says/has in the past, and he will dismiss the criticism as nonsense.

collige

Banned
Some Thatistheplan makes fun of meme culture and everything adjacent to it, and it seems the writer is being willfully obtuse about that at some points.

The "X is the Greatest Rapper Ever" videos make fun of listeners, not artists. The XXXTentacion vid, for example, didn't make light of his domestic abuse allegations; it made fun of the fans who swore he was this amazing rapper and decried any accusations of XXX being an absolute terrible person. Also, the writer acknowledges Fantano never saying the n-word, but admonishes him for finding memes that contain the n-word funny. If that is such an affront to hip-hop like the writer implies, why stop that rule at just memes? Is any white person who enjoys music that contains the n-word a supremacist? Is a white person complicit with the alt-right's agenda because they laughed during Dave Chappelle's stand-up special? Obviously not, and it's at these points where this epic takedown of Anthony Fantano falls flat.

But Fantano certainly did court alt-right members with Thatistheplan, with the pepe memes, criticism of SJWs and Hillary etc. During the channel's transformation into everything meme, I never saw that same fervor for the alt-right's sacred cows, namely Trump. I'm hesitant to jump to the that the alt-right represents Fantano's own political ideologies - his somewhat thoughtful statements over the years about social issues and our cultural divide via his music reviews and his other side channel "fantano" give me pause - but he strikes me as a moderate who will happily bend over backwards for alt-right money. That's reprehensible especially in today's political climate, and should rightfully be called out.
Yeah this about sums up my feelings on it. His non-response to this whole thing doesn't make it better either.

I actually thought they were an alt right band...

😬 whoops.

Nope. Just trash
This can’t look good for the DEHH guys since they’ve done stuff with him recently as well

Hmm. I think they'll make it out unscathed. I don't think Fantano will get hit hard by this, as YouTubers rarely are, so I wouldn't be surprised if this comment is the only thing to mention their connection

Helps that on Twitter, from what I remember, they definitely don't seem to be about that stuff (Though the only one who tweets fairly often is Myke)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
GAF hop stays giving this clown attention.
A lot of the old regulars stopped but the newer ones keep posting his shit even though nobody tryna watch that shit.

This was before he opened his second channel and started getting really weird too.

And youtubers wonder why the money is drying up fast

not sure this a great way of looking at it. why should the whole of youtube be demonetized because of alt right shit lords and people who sympathise with them? this is happening to progressives too, and people who don't touch politics at all on there.

hell, stuff is getting demonetized for just having 'lesbian' in the title, and that's the tip of the iceberg for lgbt things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGGFUYgurcA

collige

Banned
That email is nonsense, the XXX video is clearly comedic, and Fantano took a strong stance against his domestic violence situation and came down hard on the Asap Bari situation.

There's nothing nonsense about the email. All he was asked to do was to comment on his output that could be considered controversial and he could've defended against most of it too.
Easier to list who isn't questionable on youtube then who is
Ain't that the truth

Top Bottom