• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The NeoGAF 1 year challenge: stop buying games*

I'll accept this as part of my challenge despite my "rules" being a bit different than the rest. Mine was to clear my physical collection from ~750 games to under 200 before I can buy anymore. It came with the exception that digital purchases are okay since I'm more concerned with removing the clutter in my life.

But sure, no more Steam purchases for a year. I'll wage my account on it. I have around 160 Steam games I believe but I can always verify things by showing account activity or something if anyone really cares to check up on things. I don't post on here often enough to have a presence that anyone would likely care anyhow.

I'm still allowing myself XBLA, PSN, and stuff like that.

Also, Forza Horizon on Microsoft's sale was super tempting, but nope. Won't do it.

Since this started I've beaten Asura's Wrath (excluding the ending DLC) and Theatrhythm (well, got the credits to roll. Loads more can be done following that). Absolutely loved the former and had a very difficult time putting it down and went back to get more achievements already. The latter is alright. Bought it for the music and feel cheated by "over 70 songs" listed on the back when 26 of those are the opening and ending songs with minimal activity involved.

Oh, and beat Lego Star Wars Complete Whatever with my girlfriend. And nearly done with Lego Harry Potter Years 5-7. I'm sure we'll continue to plow throw my co-op games to help get through my collection.

I'll join this in my own way. I own currently around 750 physical games (+/- 50?) so I'm making the goal to not buy any more games until I get that number below 200. A vast majority of the games have been barely played, if at all, so I have loads to get through if I decide to actually play this backlog.

My main exclusion will be that I'll likely still pick up cheap digital games because I'm more concerned about cutting down on physical goods. I won't be using this "loophole" to get a bunch of retail games digitally but I'll likely still grab a humble indie bundle or perhaps a couple XBLA games every now and then.

This'll do me good. I already sold around 300 games awhile back and have since built my collection up too much since then and need to drastically cut it down. I don't play as much so having a huge library does nothing for me other than add clutter and making moving a pain.

I'm not that torn up about likely missing big titles like GTA5 (since I don't imagine I'll be down to less than 200 by then) since it just means the games I want will be discounted by the time I'm allowing myself to pick up some titles. That noted, I won't be using the way out suggested in the OP of allowing new purchases if I play them immediately.

Hope I can stick to this. I already told my girlfriend so I have someone to scold me if I look like I'm going to break from the plan.

Edit:

Might as well use this as a rolling list of games I've beaten since starting the challenge:

Asura's Wrath
Lego Star Wars: The Complete Collection
Theatrhythm
Assassin's Creed III

I'm quoting my two posts. My first one was agreeing on 11/13 to take part so I have six more days for that one. My second post about agreeing to not buy any Steam games for a year (including Humble Bundles, etc.) started on 11/23 so sixteen more days on that one.

My rule I gave myself, instead of everyone else doing the "can buy a game but must play it right away" was that I couldn't buy physical games but I could buy digitally if I wanted. With that in mind I paid full price for one digital game at release (DJMax Technika Tune) and have purchased around six retail games digitally when they were on sale (Forza Horizon, Resident Evil 6, older Tomb Raider games, Borderlands 2, and Far Cry 3 all come right to mind). I was also free to buy any other games digitally so I got a bunch of XBLA and PSN games over the year. Nothing too crazy and less than I was buying in the past by far.

The one thing I nearly broke my rule for was Dark Souls. I asked my roommate if his friend had it to borrow, which he didn't, so the next day I used some store credit to buy a used copy but then gave it to my roommate to play since he really wanted it. I still haven't touched it. While it'll end up in my collection it was ultimately purchased because my roommate asked to borrow my PS3 and Demon's Souls, which I wasn't eager to move out of my room, so Dark Souls was a peace offering that I bought for him to play in the meantime.

Oh, and I still haven't purchased a single game on Steam since 11/23. That one has been super tough as there've been number of small releases I haven't been able to play that I've wanted to. Hotline Miami I just got on Playstation Plus but there's still Rogue Legacy and a bunch of others I could list if I looked them up. Still, this holiday sale could be really entertaining with being able to buy on Steam again. Oh, finally be able to get FTL! Woo!

Top Bottom