• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The NeoGAF 1 year challenge: stop buying games*

Ledsen

----------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------READ THIS-------------------------------
The * is my escape clause: I can buy new games... if I play them to completion/until I don't want to play anymore ever immediately upon purchase. Fortunately for this challenge, that almost never happens.

namnlsxno3t.png

My Steam/360/DS/PS2 backlog is enormous (a couple of hundred games at least), and I get irrationally stressed over it even though I try to sell as much as possible, constantly tell myself I shouldn't care, it's not a backlog it's a library, just play if you feel like it, no pressure, just a hobby, yada yada. Keeping a Backloggery or similar list just makes things worse. Well, let's do this shit for real. No new games until Steam Christmas sale 2013. Join me if you want, feel free to set your own time limit.

The Steam Christmas sale will be my trial by fire. Wish me luck, and come hold my hand if you want to join.

Also, I'm not trying to be a drama queen, just thought this would be a fun challenge and hopefully some of you will too.

The chosen few (erm, participants) (who will also hopefully be posting and discussing their progress in this thread)

Ledsen FAILED
Like the Hat?
walking fiend
Katzii
RpgN
Spierek
hemo memo
Untalkative_Bunny
Class_A_Ninja - FAILED
Kerrinck
Izayoi
dsister44
Glass Rebel - FAILED
Grypther
Devil Theory
theDeeDubs
zkylon
Blizniak
shira
dygiT
dc89
isual
gumby_trucker
AstroSanity
Polk
chaosblade
AgentOtaku
Sweetvar26
ascii42
Diomedeskun
jono51
Keikaku
brainpann
Necrovex
Taglioli
perfect free
rataven
Exentryk
vall03
Madn- FAILED
Wibblewozzer
mshlive
barugon
Kamaki
StrangeADT
brettchalupa
Seance
celebi23
Lombax
HP_Wuvcraft
Tenck
iLLmaticV3
SeanNoonan
george_us
Vrakanox
CvGz
twinturbo2
DJ_Lae
quartet4
Bururian
Cels
Island
unrenowned
FloppyDelux
RCTdaemon

dc89

Well I'd kinda of like to have a go at this but with Paper Mario, Hitman, Ni No Kuni, Animal Crossing New Leaf all just a few months away I'd fail.

Ledsen

i doubt it. GTAV

If that is released on PC during the year, that's one game where my escape clause will be useful. It's basically that and Fallout 4/TESVI, but those are a bit further away. Also any Kickstarter games I've already backed.

I'm in unless dota 2 goes live
Edit is f2p technically a new game?

Just make your challenge be "now new games except DOTA2".

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Trying not to buy games in 2013 with the release schedule there is for Q1?
KuGsj.gif

Good luck, dude. There's about 10 games coming out between January and March alone that I'm interested in.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
The thought has crossed my mind before, but I know it isn't happening.

Ledsen

Well I'd kinda of like to have a go at this but with Paper Mario, Hitman, Ni No Kuni, Animal Crossing New Leaf all just a few months away I'd fail.

Just to clarify, there's an escape clause. You can buy new games if you play them immediately upon purchase.

i've been waiting for ni no kuni for too long.

but odds are that will be my only purchased game. i still have some back log to clear

using ur escape clause though I could do, as the only games i buy that i don't play immediately are Humble Bundles.

heres a loop hole though - now by immediately play do you me I play for a few hours. or do you expect to beat it.

Yes Boss!

Picked a terrible year, with a whole year of Wii U and 3DS hitting its stride. Plus, new Cave shooter streets in spring. Impossible!

zroid

Banned
I think your escape clause should have been in the title, lol

People getting mad confuzzled

Stop buying games you don't play immediately

Have already done this. Also are you allowed to receive games as presents? If yes this is really easy for me. I guess i will have to buy HOTS when it comes out though.

Necrovex

...So then its not really a challenge

This is more to prevent random purchasing of games rather than a game someone is truly hyped for. Like I am thinking about buying Borderlands 2 because of the GMG deal, but I won't play it immediately. This challenge would stop me from randomly buying a game because it is on sale.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I've bought 4 games in 2012 and I think Im done for the year. Im proud of myself, being broke as fuck helps.

I made a similar vow in the backlog thread:

Gryphter said:
2013 vow
I am going to go (almost) cold turkey next year. 2013 is the year of the backlog, and I vow to not buy any new games until it is down to 1 or 0 (I like to keep 1 on deck, so 1 left is basically a 0 for me)

Exceptions:

Christmas and my bday (which is Dec 18, so easy for me to lump in with Christmas gifts). Anything I receive this year will be the last of the purchases. I will also allow myself to buy anything I am hoping for but do not receive.

There are 4 games I already have preordered, which I will allow as purchases during 2013. Ni No Kuni, Tomb Raider, South Park, and Beyond.

I will still buy video games as gifts for other people. This is tricky because sometimes games I buy for my wife end up in my own backlog. This should be pretty rare though.

Ledsen

This is more to prevent random purchasing of games rather than a game someone is truly hyped for. Like I am thinking about buying Borderlands 2 because of the GMG deal, but I won't play it immediately. This challenge would stop me from randomly buying a game because of my love of buying items.

Yep. I'm not a masochist, I don't want to prevent myself from enjoying games I'm dying to play (GTAV). I just want to stop buying more and more games, since it's irrational and actually lessens my enjoyment of the hobby to some degree. Are you in?

I made a similar vow in the backlog thread:

Can I add you to the OP?

Randdalf

You will genuinely be able to play the game entirely for free from the get go, no unlocking abilities or buying heroes. Anything in the store they sell is cosmetic and frivolous.

On topic, I think it would be interesting to abstain from all games for a year i.e. you can only buy a game a year after it's been released. You'd save money and you'd know whether or not a game was good and wouldn't have to take the risk of pre-ordering it (let's face it, pre-ordering is a risk nowadays).

Ledsen

i've been waiting for ni no kuni for too long.

but odds are that will be my only purchased game. i still have some back log to clear

using ur escape clause though I could do, as the only games i buy that i don't play immediately are Humble Bundles.

heres a loop hole though - now by immediately play do you me I play for a few hours. or do you expect to beat it.

I mean play it until you feel like you're finished with it, as opposed to playing it for an hour and putting it down for a year.

I'd join in, but animal crossing 3ds is coming out next year.
Instead I'm going to set a hard budget of $300

Escape clause has you covered. Can I add you to the OP?

Corto

So you want to be master of your domain, king of the county, the lord of the manor hey? Good luck Ledsen ;) You'll be using that clause often hehe

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Some of the biggest names this generation coming out in the next year with the possibility of next-gen hitting late next year too.

Yea, I won't be taking part in this, lol.
And having that escape clause means this whole thing seems a bit pointless to me, the only reason I have a back log in the first place is because I buy new games, play them almost straight away and then add them to the pile of I'll play you later, I would support other people in their endeavour without it as that would actually be worth seeing.

Ledsen

Some of the biggest names this generation coming out in the next year with the possibility of next-gen hitting late next year too.

Yea, I won't be taking part in this, lol.
And having that escape clause means this whole thing seems a bit pointless to me, the only reason I have a back log in the first place is because I buy new games, play them almost straight away and then add them to the pile of I'll play you later.

That isn't the point of the escape clause though, I won't be doing that. Either I finish them or I put them away for good.

Top Bottom