• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The NeoGAF Open Handheld Thread

Bullet Club

This is a thread for news & reviews about open handhelds, that are nearly always from China, that can be used to play emulators and homebrew games.

The occasional el cheapo Famiclone will be posted about as well.

The first handheld to kick off this thread looks pretty funky.

LDK Game Open Source Handheld

A handheld that runs OpenDingux/RetroFW. LDK stands for Little Dragon King, which is a cool name.

Price: US$55 from places like AliExpress
CPU: Z4760B MIPS CPU Clocked at 528mhz-740mhz
Memory: 128MB DDRII RAM
Storage: 16GB
Battery Life: 4 hours

EGVjLfA.jpg

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
I knew of LDK, OpenDingux, but not this little device. Spec wise it does seem to fall into similar devices running Dingux (That Ingenic SoC was also used with Dingoo i remember)

Pretty cheap, i have to say. And Dingux is a mature system, too. Is there some more info out there, or rather, a list of similar handhelds? I know a few, but obscure handhelds are also my forte.

Like the Powkiddy X18. A GPD XD Clone with Mali T720 MP2. Basically entry level phone stuff, but modern feature set. Bullet Club Bullet Club

Bullet Club

There's a new version of the RS-97 AKA Coolboy AKA Coolbaby AKA Data Frog AKA other weird names out, with some case improvements/additions and more importantly, it looks like the default firmware and emulators are much improved over the old version. Now all it needs is some CFW.

I've got the first version of the RS-97, it's pretty good with custom firmware. The form factor is nice, it's the old Revo 101 GBA clone case. The dpad is a bit squishy but not too bad.

In other news, the Bitt Boy version 3 should be out next month.

And in err...other other news, OpenDingux is now available on the RetroMini AKA RS-90. It's not as powerful as the RS-97 but it is cheaper (US$28) and has a nice GB form factor.

vznhFiD.jpg

Bullet Club

Might be interesting to list the specs of all the current handhelds, the Retromini has a JZ4725B SoC.
Alright, I'll just screencap the Obscure Handhelds list.

YiRnRTH.png

PO3bJs7.png

So off that list I have the RS-97 and a Pocket Sprite. Got a few others as well like the GP2X Caanoo & a weird Android one that looks a bit like a big 360 control pad.

Memory wise i have read 32 MB DDR2 (Or was that the LBK?) and 64 MB SDR
RetroMini has 32MB RAM + 256MB storage. The LDK & RS-97 have 128MB DDR2.

The screen on the RetroMini is old Gameboy Micro stock.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
eww man just eww

i own some clone consoles.
gb boy colour
revo k101+
modded non backlit gba with 101 screen
and a front lit mod gbc

Last edited:

Shifty

Colour me most interested- I do love that old-school game boy form factor.

I've had my eye on a PocketCHIP for a while since they have Pico-8 support out of the box, and the ability to program directly on-device is appealing even though I know it'd ultimately be uncomfortable and annoying compared to a proper keyboard:

Screen_Shot_2018-09-17_at_4.44.32_PM_1024x1024@2x.png

They seem to be back in business now, but their shop temporarily folded around the time I was looking to buy, so I ended up getting a 7in novelty laptop instead. Kind of expensive for what it is, but the ones in the OP look much more reasonable,

Last edited:

Bullet Club

This is what the new Bitt Boy looks like:

Fm0qCgj.jpg

Specs:

CPU: Allwinner F1C100S
RAM: 32MB
Screen: 2.4" IPS 320x240
SDCard: supported up to 128GB
Battery: 1000mAh Internal fixed
Dimensions: 12.3cm x5.6cm x 1.4cm
Weight: 100G

LDK prototype:

NA9OU14.jpg

This is how the Game Boy Classic should be if ever

I've got one, it's a nice novelty device but it's way too small.

Any new GB should be Pocket sized and come with a cart slot as well as built in games. And Nintendo should release new games for it.

Rodolink

This is what the new Bitt Boy looks like:

Fm0qCgj.jpg

Specs:

CPU: Allwinner F1C100S
RAM: 32MB
Screen: 2.4" IPS 320x240
SDCard: supported up to 128GB
Battery: 1000mAh Internal fixed
Dimensions: 12.3cm x5.6cm x 1.4cm
Weight: 100G

LDK prototype:

NA9OU14.jpg

I've got one, it's a nice novelty device but it's way too small.

Any new GB should be Pocket sized and come with a cart slot as well as built in games. And Nintendo should release new games for it.

Oh damn, that's sleek design. The new BittBoy.
The other one is nice as a novelty as you said. maybe a GB classic should be like a little smaller than a GB Pocket. But doubt it'll have slot for new catridges, since the other classic consoles don't.

Rodolink

True, but Nintendo do like having 2 current systems and a cheap updated GB that can play all of the old games plus new 2D games could be a way to do it.
But then they'll have to re-release catridge games for it, very unlikely. But first lets see if they do it 😅, hope they do

Bullet Club

Does that new BittBoy have HDMI out?
It has TV-out but I don't think it's HDMI.

It should be remembered that the SoC in these aren't that powerful, so some SNES and PS1 games won't run that smoothly.

It is fairly cheap though, coming in at US$40 or less at some places.

Vitacat

Just received an LDK Game today. Bought on Aliexpress (PZZY Trading CO., Shenzhen Store) for slightly less than $50 with FREE shipping. Order placed May 11, shipped immediately, and arrived May 25 (USA).

LOVE IT! Controls are very good, screen is great, installed RetroFW and it can play a ton of games very well. Just have reasonable expectations: complex SNES games can require frame skips, and you're not gonna be plating PS1 games like Tekken 3 full speed. But in general, things run very nicely.

QUESTION: how do you exit the GBASP emulator? So far I can't find a way, so I just turn the system off and on to exit, which is kinda dumb but it works... Hopefully there's a button combo that I'm missing?

Last edited:

Bullet Club

how do you exit the GBASP emulator? So far I can't find a way, so I just turn the system off and on to exit, which is kinda dumb but it works... Hopefully there's a button combo that I'm missing?
I haven't used that emu but I think you press X to bring up the menu and can exit from there.

Last edited:

Vitacat

Try holding start or select with one of the buttons, it might be R.
Nope, none of those...

HOWEVER, I did find what it is. There are 2 small black square buttons on the left side of the device. The bottom one (usually is Suspend toggle) brings up the menu in the GBASP emulator - there you can save states, exit etc.. This also is true for SMS and FBA (not the FBA320, but the FBA next to it in RetroFW), and maybe others...

Last edited:

Bullet Club

DIY Retro Gaming Handheld Is As Fun To Build As It Is To Play

nHGAjil.jpg

This is the GameShell, a retro gaming handheld that I built from a kit. I clipped and trimmed the plastic pieces, inserted the circuit boards, connected the wires and snapped it all together. It plays old games, emulated titles and homebrew software. It’s pleasing that something I built does those things.

The folks at Clockwork did most of the work, to be fair. They created the ClockworkPi, the small development board that powers the GameShell. It’s a small chip powered by a quad-core Cortex-A7 CPU, a Mali GPU and 1GB DDR3 memory. It’s got Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, a micro HDMI port to output to a monitor and a slot for a micro SD card for storage. It’s an excellent base for a modestly-powered portable emulator box.

Along with the ClockworkPi, the GameShell also has a 8cm TFT RPG display that runs at 60 frames-per-second. There’s an input board with a directional pad, ABXY buttons and a couple of additional inputs. There’s also a tiny two-channel speaker, a 3.7V 1200 mAh rechargeable battery and an optional row of five additional buttons that can snap onto the back of the GameShell’s case.

I mention these components separately, because that’s how they are assembled. Here’s what comes in the GameShell kit.

nKC9Sv4.jpg

It looks like a lot, but it’s really simple. There are four main modules encased in their own plastic housings—the ClockworkPi, controller pad, display and battery. Once assembled, cables connect the ClockworkPi to the three other units. They are stacked within a Game Boy-esque plastic housing, two on two. The speaker bar is plugged into the main bar, and the unit is snapped together.

DsqdpWT.jpg

It’s a simple build that’s hard to screw up. If one were to say, bend the pins connecting the main board to the controller, that might make it harder to get it working. Also, from what I have heard, the screen will not survive being run over by a 213kg motorised wheelchair. But that’s what replacements were made for, right? OK, I made a few mistakes, but those were on me, and eventually I wound up with a nice little handheld that I could probably strip down to component parts blindfolded.

qHdAiqW.jpg

Once assembled, the GameShell is a tiny handheld Linux device. The 16GB micro SD card that comes with the kit is preloaded with Clockwork OS, based on Debian 9 ARMhf and Linux mainline Kernel 4.1x. It comes loaded with popular emulator front end RetroArch, and can run up to Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis games quite capably. There’s a standalone emulator for the original PlayStation, which can be hit or miss.

It comes loaded with the original Cave Story. There’s a free version of Doom on it, because any gaming system has to run Doom in some form in order to be validated. It even has a built-in music player, which I will never use.

iAfGxVp.jpg

With its Game Boy look and feel and its pleasantly responsive controls, the GameShell is nice to play games on. I feel like game makers and electronics hobbyists will get the most out of the system. It supports Preset C, Python, Lua, JS and LISP programming languages and supports a slew of smaller-scale game engines, including PICO 8 and LOVE2D. It’s open source hardware, so users are free to take it apart, wire it to other devices and fiddle to their hearts’ content. The studded backplate used to connect the optional five-button input bar to the back of the GameShell is even Lego compatible.

gnaEB9g.jpg

There’s a lot to do with Clockwork’s GameShell. I don’t know if I will ever build a game or program the GameShell into a television remote, but I will always be proud of this quirky little piece of hardware I put together.

Source: Kotaku

Rodolink

DIY Retro Gaming Handheld Is As Fun To Build As It Is To Play

nHGAjil.jpg

This is the GameShell, a retro gaming handheld that I built from a kit. I clipped and trimmed the plastic pieces, inserted the circuit boards, connected the wires and snapped it all together. It plays old games, emulated titles and homebrew software. It’s pleasing that something I built does those things.

The folks at Clockwork did most of the work, to be fair. They created the ClockworkPi, the small development board that powers the GameShell. It’s a small chip powered by a quad-core Cortex-A7 CPU, a Mali GPU and 1GB DDR3 memory. It’s got Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, a micro HDMI port to output to a monitor and a slot for a micro SD card for storage. It’s an excellent base for a modestly-powered portable emulator box.

Along with the ClockworkPi, the GameShell also has a 8cm TFT RPG display that runs at 60 frames-per-second. There’s an input board with a directional pad, ABXY buttons and a couple of additional inputs. There’s also a tiny two-channel speaker, a 3.7V 1200 mAh rechargeable battery and an optional row of five additional buttons that can snap onto the back of the GameShell’s case.

I mention these components separately, because that’s how they are assembled. Here’s what comes in the GameShell kit.

nKC9Sv4.jpg

It looks like a lot, but it’s really simple. There are four main modules encased in their own plastic housings—the ClockworkPi, controller pad, display and battery. Once assembled, cables connect the ClockworkPi to the three other units. They are stacked within a Game Boy-esque plastic housing, two on two. The speaker bar is plugged into the main bar, and the unit is snapped together.

DsqdpWT.jpg

It’s a simple build that’s hard to screw up. If one were to say, bend the pins connecting the main board to the controller, that might make it harder to get it working. Also, from what I have heard, the screen will not survive being run over by a 213kg motorised wheelchair. But that’s what replacements were made for, right? OK, I made a few mistakes, but those were on me, and eventually I wound up with a nice little handheld that I could probably strip down to component parts blindfolded.

qHdAiqW.jpg

Once assembled, the GameShell is a tiny handheld Linux device. The 16GB micro SD card that comes with the kit is preloaded with Clockwork OS, based on Debian 9 ARMhf and Linux mainline Kernel 4.1x. It comes loaded with popular emulator front end RetroArch, and can run up to Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis games quite capably. There’s a standalone emulator for the original PlayStation, which can be hit or miss.

It comes loaded with the original Cave Story. There’s a free version of Doom on it, because any gaming system has to run Doom in some form in order to be validated. It even has a built-in music player, which I will never use.

iAfGxVp.jpg

With its Game Boy look and feel and its pleasantly responsive controls, the GameShell is nice to play games on. I feel like game makers and electronics hobbyists will get the most out of the system. It supports Preset C, Python, Lua, JS and LISP programming languages and supports a slew of smaller-scale game engines, including PICO 8 and LOVE2D. It’s open source hardware, so users are free to take it apart, wire it to other devices and fiddle to their hearts’ content. The studded backplate used to connect the optional five-button input bar to the back of the GameShell is even Lego compatible.

gnaEB9g.jpg

There’s a lot to do with Clockwork’s GameShell. I don’t know if I will ever build a game or program the GameShell into a television remote, but I will always be proud of this quirky little piece of hardware I put together.

Source: Kotaku
I just wish it had a bigger screen. Bit it's a great design. I like the knobs on the side.

Bullet Club

Looks like a reasonably priced handheld that can play PS1 and possibly N64 will be out later this year, the RG350.

It was the same CPU as the GCW Zero (JZ4770) and 512MB DDR2 RAM. It has 4 shoulder buttons.

uUvLkrt.jpg

It looks a bit goofy and some might not like the positioning of the d-pad. At least it's an upgrade on all of the JZ4760 devices.

Rodolink

Should've posted it earlier but Retrostone 2 Kickstarter started.
Still hesitant due to price. Specially since you can get an ldk for half. But that screen is huge!

Last edited:
Top Bottom