• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The NeoGAF OT Forum presents G.A.M.E., an electronic music compilation! (F.L.A.C.?)

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
game_banner.gif

Update (Dec. 22): It looks like some are interested in a FLAC of this. I'll see about getting something like that setup in the next day or two.

Some of you may have noticed a thread bouncing around the OT forums for the last several months discussing an electronic music compilation by GAFers. As of today, this project is officially complete, and ready for download.

Titled G.A.M.E. (Gaming Age Musica Electronia) the project contains over two dozen tracks ranging from chiptunes to IDM to trance to experimental and everything in between, all inspired by our favorite videogames. It can be downloaded at the links below.

DOWNLOAD SONGS HERE:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/files.neogaf.com/NeoGAF G.A.M.E.rar

Also, we'd like to get the word out well past the confines of NeoGAF for this, so if you run a web site, work at a web site, have a friend with a web site, etc., it would be absolutely fantastic if you could post a brief mention about the project and where people can download it from.

Also, news of the compilation was send to Digg. Let's try to get it on the front page! If anyone wants to help give it a nudge over there, here's the link:

Digg This! ->http://digg.com/music/Video_Game_Inspired_Electronic_Music_Compilation_Released <- Digg this project people! :D

This is the official playlist for G.A.M.E.:

CATS! by SPOD
Outrunnin' by Fusebox
1AM by Karma Kramer
Frrozzen Echoes by SD-Zeta
BAWS BATTL by monchi-kun
dallas and son by iced lightning
Smoke Them Children by Plastic Handgun
Little Lambs by RSTEIN
Scotch Crackle by Karma Kramer
Evilore by RSTEIN
The Future... by Relaxor
Caturday by Animal
The Prince Returns to His Castle High in the Sky by alistairw
Mod Power Abuse (bishoptl's theme) by Timedog
Breathe (Instrumental) by Alaria
Moonless Dawn by LiveFromKyoto
L.N. Cafe by Teknopathic
Stage Run by X5z
Destroy the Core by Pixelated
Nosebleed by DopeyFish
One Life Left by m0dus
Tr4nce presents Kings of the Sky - Nebula by Tr4nce
Ikadius by Albino Samurai
Stolen Gamecube by Trip Warhawkins
Reflex Cannon by Mr. Nash
Fight For Freedom by FightyF

Update: FightyF made a playlist file for the project so you guys don't have to set it up manually in your player. Grab it here if you like: http://k0ny.com/Files/NeoGAF-GAMEPlaylist.m3u

Get G.A.M.E. wallpaper here:

xs.php

Here's a graphic for you iTunes users:
gamesmall.jpg

m0dus will be providing cover art for the album for anyone who is interested, and is also responsible for the banner in this thread, so a big thank you for that contribution. Also a big thanks to lil smoke for helping with mastering on the project. It was a ton of fun!

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Comments and Music Links of Some G.A.M.E. Artists
(If your bio and link isn't here, please PM me)

alaria
(oneblackrose.org/songaweek)

Albino Samurai

I would like to know when you guys post your songs the software/hardware used

PC, 4 GB RAM, Cubase Studio 4 , WaveLab Studio, MOTU 828 MKII (FireWire), Motu Midi Express, Novation K-Station, D-Station, Remote25 LE, Yamaha CS1X, MG24/14FX, HS80M, Roland XV2020 + SRX 08 & SRX 09 expansions, Akai S2000, Tannoy System 800.

What genre do you know/believe your song falls into

Uhr... i don't know realy... I thinks it's techno'ish

The inspirations

Ikaruga and Gradius, but more shooters in general.

What did you try new or differently from previous songs?

Automation within Cubase.

What have you learned while making your song?

To many things to mention.... i learned a couple of things about my Roland XV2020 wich i didn't realise were possible at first.
And that NES sounds are awesome. Bit of work sampling all of it though....

If you had more time what would do differently?

Everything... i'm a perfectionist when it comes to music and eventhough i like all sorts of music there's always a certain something i would have done differently.

What is your favorite part of your song?

The main reason i actualy publicised this track is cause i think it has a nice buildup but stays monotone all the way thru.
Starts with a techno synth, then goes to a Rave synth and then full technological madness.

alistairw
(http://www.myspace.com/littlemaths)

Reason.

8-bit.

The inspirations

The crappier 8-bit titles.

I tried numerous new things, most of which turned out to be far too advanced for me to get my head around in the time allocated to this project.

I stopped trying to make something different to what I'm capable of. That is to say, I learnt that if at first you don't succeed, go back to what's worked previously. Set your standards low, kids.

I'd probably finish the other song I started and never quite felt happy with. Then I'd record Prince style vocals for this one.

OH YEAH OH YEAH

DopeyFish
(http://www.myspace.com/dopeyfish)

FightyF
(http://www.myspace.com/nrxic )

BUZZ on a Windows XP SP2 OS PC (A64 3GHz, 2Gb RAM), and a QuickShot MIDI keyboard. :p

I tried to make a Freeform track, but the melody does sound chip-tuney/videogamey, so Freeform listeners may see it as Japanese inspired Freeform.

The inspirations
I did a remix of my NES "race song" (can be found here: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...ndID=102360&co
ntent=music).

I tried mimicking the style of Finnish Freeform, with the use of HP filtered saw synths and stabby goa-esque basslines. I also used a guitar synth (Steinberg Virtual Guitars) for the first time. I tried making a song specifically for videogames, ideally for racing games. Listening to the final product, I think I fell short somewhat. Most of the game sound effects would take the mid-low and mid range, so I should have worked the final mix to be a bit quieter in those ranges with the highs and real lows sticking out. That way it clashes less with roaring engines in the game. So I think I fell short in that regard. With some tweaking maybe it could be used for a futuristic sh'mup?

Thanks to other GAFers I learned how to use side-chain compression, and I finally figured out how to properly do the Finnish Freeform-esque filtered/gated saw synths. I also learned why you don't hear too many electric guitars in techno tracks, because it's hard to get it sitting in the mix right. You have to carefully EQ them and all the other instruments to sit properly in the mix and as you can tell, I still could have done some more tweaking. Guitars don't really suit layered techno songs, but I can see them sounding very cool in more basic songs.

Tweak that breakdown solo synth to perfection. It sounds sorty cheesy, IMO. Also, my weakest ability is song structure, and I think that with some guidance, I could have laid this track out in a better fashion, giving it better flow. Also, I did all the filter knob twisting in real time...maybe I should have automated it, while I like the idea of imperfections giving electronic music a more "human" quality, sometimes I got off my groove and it sounds somewhat random in parts.

I like how the guitars came out.

iced lightening
(http://www.myspace.com/electricsalmon)

LiveFromKyoto

I would like to know when you guys post your songs the software/hardware used.

Everything was done in Garageband. I used the iDrum plugin to sequence the beats. The only hardware was my trusty MacBook Pro; everything was played using my laptop's QWERTY keyboard. Not a single note was sampled aside from the voices, and the instrument sounds are mostly custom made.

What genre do you know/believe your song falls into.

No clue, really. I just file it under electronica. I don't set out to make anything that fits into a genre.

The inspirations

NHK's Furinkazan, Koei's Nobunaga's Ambition, Boards of Canada, My Bloody Valentine & the shoegazer scene in general, Ulrich Schnauss, Future Sound of London, Underworld, Samurai Shodown.

Just about everything. There are 12 different tracks in this song and a boatload of effects & filters. I've never really worked with voices before, aside from my own. I've never put together a drum beat with that many layers (about 9) or that much progression. I've never managed to put together a song that progressed that well either.

TONS, lots about positioning audio, setting levels, proper use of audio filters and production in general. And working with voice samples as well. This song was a nightmare of static and crackle for the longest time, with this much distortion and reverb and volume it was tough to get everything into its own space. I also learned a lot about using individual software instruments as well, the electric koto sound was murder to sequence properly because of the way the pluck is set off after the keystroke. It was a lot of fiddly work with that instrument, but I'm really happy with the way it ended up sounding.

If you had more time (maybe you will!) what would do differently?

More sound samples, but it's difficult to fit them where I want them, I'd have to redo a ton of things to make everything audible and not tripping over each other. But I think I can do it, and probably will down the line when I have a proper audio monitor.

The crescendo after the pause and the "Ike yo!" sample, where everything's going off at once. It might be too much at once for some people, but that's the idea. And something with that many layers should stand up to multiple listens.

Monchi-kun

All music done on the Korg Electribe EMX-1, recorded into Ableton Live 5 with a saturation filter

No clue, i would suck at classifying musical subcategories within a genre. So i guess it's electronic music.

The inspirations.

All the 8bit game musicians of my youth (whoever you may be)

This was my first attempt at doing something with hardware only. Used to do everything in virtual environments with Fruity Loops, Reason, and Live and i always found it daunting. I also thought that whatever i created was so small in comparison to what the software allows you to make. I think I just learned to go with the flow, plan less, and kinda let the spurr of the moment take over. BAWS BATTL was created in a few hours actually.

When working with hardware take NOTES! Spur of the moment makes it near impossible to replicate what you did because you didn't jot down your dial settings for each part.

I'd like to mix in some samples into Live, have better separation for the tracks, a better mix, better levels. I was hoping to get my Kaoss Pad Mini in time to add some more funky effects

The 8-bit style arp with the grain shifting added for measure. Just feels so random against the structure of the song. I doubt i'll be able to reproduce this again... :(

Mr. Nash
(http://www.myspace.com/jeffnashmusic)

Ableton Live, Arturia Analog Factory, Free Alpha

Techno-esque? House-ish? Loud?

The inspirations
Two Great Tastes that Taste Great Together: The Ridge Racer series and Omega Boost!

Not get bored halfway through and start something else...oh wait, I did that here and this song was the result.

Having a short attention span while writing music isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Probably get tired of this song too, and want to make something else instead. :p

The loud blasting synth at the beginning. That'll wake you up!

m0dus

Reason 4.0, and Oxygen49 keyboard and Audacity.

Trance, remix.

The inspirations
Shining Force, and forum arguments.

A unified theme

Static and noise aren't always a problem. sometimes, they fit right in.

Work on the mastering a bit more.

What is your favorite part of each song?
Every refrain.

pixelated
(http://www.myspace.com/thebitmipsyndicatemusic)

BUZZ, Windows XP, Part of the reason in the delay besides BUZZ crashing and eating my song was that I was in the process of building a new system with an xfi elite pro card in it, which I didnt use for the this song

Drum 'n' Bass. I coined my sub genre Tronstep. Every bass and synth is from a nes or amiga emulation vst while the drums remain untouched mostly.

The inspirations
Lifeforce, Gradius

This was my first ever use of chords. The chord wizard in BUZZ was a big help.

Make a back up copy of your progress. While this song sounds off from the original that crashed, it retains its spirit.

Work on the levels more. Also there are two sections in the song that are off beat but it doesnt sound right when i try to make them on beat so i just left it that way. I'll revist a rewrite to see if i can get it on beat and make it sound the way i want it but previous attempts were meh. Also add more drums... this is Drum 'n' Bass after all.

"Destroy the Core Now" Also how the song tells a story

Plastic Handgun (aka Mark D)

Cubase.

Glitchpop.

The inspirations
Getting lost in an 8-bit forest.

I tried mostly to stay on target. Stay on target.

The way I inherently approach writing a song became a little more apparent.

Perhaps make the song longer. Or add more noise.

The hand clap percussion.

RSTEIN
(http://www.soundclick.com/rstein)

Fruity Loops & Yamaha YPP-55 for MIDI control.

I dunno, I'll just say IDM.

The inspirations
I've listened to IDM/DNB/House/Techno/Dub/Electronic my whole life. I never draw from any one artist or genre. The song is what it is at the end of the day.

More structure, one beat, drum loop throughout the song.

Attack, sustain, delay, release. They're your friends.

I'm actually pretty happy with it.

The build up after the middle break and the ending.

SD-Zeta

Fruity Loops Studio 7. That's it.

Hard to say, I didn't really have a genre in mind when I made this song. Probably just electronica.

The inspirations.

To be honest I don't think I really had any special inspirations for this song. Videogame musics in general were some sort of inspiration I'd say.

It's my first song! :)

I basically learned everything I know right now. I started from zero, had to play around with the program and see what it could do. And I still have tons of things to learn about it. I also learned how to structure a song and well, how to compose a song since I had never done one before.

I'd play around with the options some more (EQ, plugins etc.). I'd probably also try to incorporate an additional melody somewhere near the end of the song without making it sound too muddy.

It's hard to say! I'm happy about the whole background melody (from the piano+reverb) because it really captures the feel of being inside a frozen place like an ice cavern or something. But for a specific part of the song, I'd say when the guitar comes in because I didn't expect it to blend in so well when I made that part separately.

SPOD (aka 666)

Software is Logic Pro 8. Been using 7 for ages, good sequencer. Used the sampler for the drums. Went through a Motu 828II to get inside the computox.

Hardware on this track is my lovely 1972 Minimoog doing the bass, leads, sound FX & steel drums and Mario Paint on the Super Nintendo doing the meows. I used a Casio SK1 to to the pitched CATS chant too. I love that thing.

AwesomeCore

The inspirations

Mario Paint and thinking about rockabillys. True story.

I'm usually quite lyrically heavy, so I made sure I only said one word in this song. Much easier! I kind of made sure I didn't go too 8 bit, as I do that alot and thought it was too obvious for a video game theme, but that said, I kind of wish I used my sidstation for a fantasy breakdown & included a cat fantasy monologue.

That SNES emulators on the DS don't stay in time.

Mix it better, but it's fine. I'm going to do a film clip for this and put it on my EP in March too probably.

The vocal melody in the last 20 seconds and the cat sample from Mario Paint. That shit makes me laugh every time.

Teknopathic

"I would like to know when you guys post your songs the software/hardware used. What genre do you know/believe your song falls into. The inspirations. What did you try new or differently from previous songs? What have you learned while making your song? If you had more time (maybe you will!) what would do differently? What is your favorite part of your song?"

My song was done in Psycle, using all VSTs. Shortcircuit for all the percussion and vocal sampling, NWBass for the bass synth, Xoxos Puru + a built in machine for the the stuttering ditty, and LazySnake for the Electric Piano. The only hardware used was a CME UF-5 Midi controller for note input/playing ideas out. As said previously, inspiration was night-time in an urban area, sorta Hip night clubby. A la Benten-cho in Jet Grind Radio. It's very traditional house, which is completely new to me, as I usually go for minimalistic Drum 'n Bass. I really like the vocal samples which was some public domain clip on archive.org. I think the whispered sound adds a little more mellow to it. I hadn't used a tracker in awhile, and I certainly hadn't used Psycle before so this got me really acquainted with it. If I had more time, I think I probably would've found some way to turn it into a DnB track.

Timedog

Software synths and drums: G Force Minimonsta, Steinberg A1, YmVST, Steinberg L7, Novation V-Station Vsti, Steinberg LM-7.

Sequencer: Cubase SX3

I have no clue. I don't even listen to electronic music.

The inspirations.

A patch I heard on minimonsta.

nothing.

That I have no idea how to mix a kick for electronic music. That it's hard to get the midrange sounding right when it's all synths.

used more video gamey sounds, and made it less repetitive i.e. more parts/different song structure.

The part that connects the 2nd chorus to the 3rd verse/ending.

Tr4nce

I would like to know when you guys post your songs the software/hardware used?

Not much, just Reason.

What genre do you know/believe your song falls into?

Uplifting Trance

The inspirations?

The atmosphere from FFX, the blue skies, summer nights etc. etc. :)

Two basslines, instead of one.

Synth tweaking.

The break, where the melody comes in and goes out again, near the climax. The synth, mroe specifically the filter frequency, was automated. I think it sounds awesome.

X5z

Logic Pro 8 and a M-Audio Axiom 25 MIDI controller

I don't know. Some sort of trance perhaps, but I don't know what specific style.

The inspirations

RPG battle music and platformer stage music, particularly Mega Man.

Using a song key other than C, and layering sounds.

This was the first song I've completed in Logic, so it was a great chance to learn more about using the program and start developing a workflow. Learning about mixing and compression was cool, as it wasn't something I've used much previously.

More mixing and make some changes to the drums. I also like how the different elements of the song sound seperately, so I'd also like to do a remix.

The drums and synth around the last half of the song, although they get somewhat obscured by the other instruments.

I think there's a very good chance that we'll be starting up another electronic music project in the near future, so those who participated in G.A.M.E. and any who missed the boat, and want in this time, visit this thread here, and we can get brainstorming on what we can do for our next project.

Anyway, check it out, and we all hope that you enjoy listening to our tracks! :)

(PS - Mods, do you guys think we could get a sticky for this briefly on the OT and Gaming forums? Update: Thanks for the sticky, guys! ^_^ )

Wes

venison crêpe
Looks hot! Will grab this later when I can. It's awesome when GAF comes together to work on projects like this, good work people :D

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
AWESOME!!!

I would like to say a big THANK YOU to FightyF, Mr. Nash, lil smoke & m0dus... you guys devoted a nice chunk of your personal time (valuable time that could have been spent talking about your first bro rape experience, skidmarks, girl problems, etc. here on GAF) to this project. It wouldn't have been possible without you guys!

Here's to GAME #2!

Wow, cool to see that this came to fruition. The thought of it falling through was exactly the reason I didn't jump in, but I'm excited to hear what came of it : D

Sule

Wow, The prince returns to his castle in the sky and BAWS BATL are awesome. Still listening to the other songs. A lot of good ones but these two are really amazing.

Xater

Ok so I just finished listening through the whole thing. Great stuff and as I already said Electronic music is not my thing usually. ;y favorites are:

CATS! by SPOD
BAWS BATTL by monchi-kun
Moonless Dawn by LiveFromKyoto
Destroy the Core by Pixelated
Nosebleed by DopeyFish
One Life Left by m0dus
Nebula by Tr4nce
Fight For Freedom by FightyF
Mod power abuse- bosphtl theme by Timedog

But Cats may be my absolute favorite. I had to laugh so hard and instantly remebered myself fooling araound with Mario Paint and miaus. So awesome. :lol

Xater

Just wanted to I thought it was so good that I will give thison a CD to a frined of mine who totally is into electronic music. Maybe this will be a nice Christmas present. :D

Fantastic work dudes, listening to it right now. Some really cool ideas here, I'm getting inspired - almost every track's a winner, even on the first playthrough which is rare for me.

Also, big ups to the producers - I'm sure my track was a headache with so much going on at once and so many screechy instruments/samples, but you did a damn good job. I'd love to know how some of you other guys get such a clean sound, everything I export comes out kind of murky. Is it a software issue, or an input issue?

Anyway, let's do this again. My skillz improved 10x over doing this, and I've been creating a lot recently, and I'm actually finishing stuff now. I'd love to see how much better I can get with another concentrated effort.

Oh yeah - anybody got an avatar of the cover we can use? The animated one was slick.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Awesome, looking forward to listening.

have been in and out of the electronic music compilation thread a few times. Have also had a crack at creating some music (failure)

I dont have a synthesiser or anything, so are their any programs, free or not too expensive that would be worth a look in, with good lengthy tutorials lol.

Will probly re edit this with a small review later (Y) who knows

also i can try and make a torrent if i get it done ill post that here.

Mark D

RSTEIN said:
AWESOME!!!

I would like to say a big THANK YOU to FightyF, Mr. Nash, lil smoke & m0dus... you guys devoted a nice chunk of your personal time (valuable time that could have been spent talking about your first bro rape experience, skidmarks, girl problems, etc. here on GAF) to this project. It wouldn't have been possible without you guys!

Here's to GAME #2!

Hear, hear! Thanks for all the hard work guys, and for letting me get in on this even though I was kinda late. Can't wait to do something like this again.

"I would like to say a big THANK YOU to FightyF, Mr. Nash, lil smoke & m0dus... you guys devoted a nice chunk of your personal time (valuable time that could have been spent talking about your first bro rape experience, skidmarks, girl problems, etc. here on GAF) to this project. It wouldn't have been possible without you guys!"

Agreed, they put in a lot of work (the majority of it, easily) for this project, and the end result is fantastic.

traveler

Not Wario
Whoa, this is really impressive, guys. I'll give it a full listen later and post some comments when I have the time, but I just wanted to pop in and say grats for now.

Ranger X

That's nice guys.

Thumbs up: You show the electronic music style with different flavors instead of going all the way with the tedius and sad "bassdrum/highhat/bassdrum" beat.

Thumbs down: Generally lacks a sense of melody.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
haven't listened to any of it yet (still downloading), but this is really cool.

i wish more stuff like this would happen around gaf.

Tr4nce

Congrats GAF, we made it! :)

I hope you will all like it, and will also like my track:

Kings of the Sky - Nebula.

Belfast

Awesome job, guys! Finally, a project that didn't fall to apathy or lack of commitment!

I'll give it a more respectable listen-to later on and I'll be sure to post something about it on ripten, as well.

Animal

Banned
I am downloading it as I write this. Congratulations everyone on a job well done! I'm about to listen to it a couple times through and come back with a review. Enjoy.

i'm the type of person who starts many things but never completes any of em, this is the first and probably the biggest thing i've done musically :)

big thanks to the talent pool that encouraged and inspired me :D

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Yeah, thanks to everyone involved. Everything turned out really awesome, and there's such a wide variety of styles represented. Here's to G.A.M.E. Mark II. :)

Oh, and a huge thank you to Evilore for hosting the tracks. We all really appreciate it!

Iron_Scimitar said:
i echoed this over on my site. Great work chaps!

www.thegamerstudio.com

Thanks for the link. :D

LordMaji

I'm only half way through this so far, but right now.

Animal - Caturday is fucking awesome. that's my style of music. :)

Top Bottom