• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The NeoGAF Spider-Man 3 The Game The Official Thread

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
Phaethon0017 said:
Not sure if you know this or not, but if you buy SM3 at Circuit City you get SM2 free for any console you choose.

I was going to mention that.

Whats the best version of SM2? Is it BC on the 360 or do I need to get what I assume would be the weaker PS2 version?

Linkzg said:
I just noticed that Spiderman 2 works on 360, if I could only get my saved data from my Xbox on my 360 I would play it right now.

Well here's some small consolation . If you use that first cheat code you get alot of the bonuses you would have if you had beaten the game as well as being nearly half way finished. Something to do to keep busy before SM3.

citrus lump said:
When I play the Spider-Man games, I usually worry more about the storyline-and which villains will pop up next.
Unfortunately, if that's what you play for, the Spidey games have been terrible for a long time.

Phaethon0017 said:
Well here's some small consolation . If you use that first cheat code you get alot of the bonuses you would have if you had beaten the game as well as being nearly half way finished. Something to do to keep busy before SM3.

thanks, im gonna try it out, why not

Snaku

Banned
citrus lump said:
When I play the Spider-Man games, I usually worry more about the storyline-and which villains will pop up next.

Spider-Man (PSone, N64, Dreamcast) is the game for you.

newsguy

Phaethon0017 said:

I like this junior. Good job friend, good job

BUSH-thumbs-up-3-19-5-with-.jpg

Segata Sanshiro said:
Unfortunately, if that's what you play for, the Spidey games have been terrible for a long time.

As a long time Spider-Man fan, I'm able to stomach things non-fans might find unappealing.

Also, I think what we have here is the difference between a hardcore and a casual gamer. I play them to have fun, not to worry about proper physics, fancy lighting and the latest graphics techniques.

To each his own I guess.

citrus lump said:
As a long time Spider-Man fan, I'm able to stomach things non-fans might find unappealing.

Also, I think what we have here is the difference between a hardcore and a casual gamer. I play them to have fun, not to worry about proper physics, fancy lighting and the latest graphics techniques.

To each his own I guess.
You wouldn't happen to be citrus from efnet about six years back, would you?

citrus lump said:
Nope. I started this aweful forum habit with GAF.:lol
K. I knew a citrus that's a pretty big Spidey fan. Anyway, I'm a big Spidey fan too, and Spider-Man 2 knocked my socks off because for once I really felt like I was web-swinging above a city. It felt incredibly real, and part of that was that if I wanted to travel in a straight line, I had to 'cut' the web and shoot to a building on the other side of the street.

I felt like I was swinging through the air - almost flying, really. Felt like I was heading to the second star on the right and straight on til morning.

I'm sure this game is still really great, especially for Spidey fans, but after you've tasted perfection, it's hard to go back. I just don't know if I can do it. Ultimate Spidey was completely unplayable for me. I'm hoping this isn't as well.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Ultimate Spidey was completely unplayable for me. I'm hoping this isn't as well.

I actually enjoyed Ultimate Spider-Man. With the exception of some shitty missions, there was plenty to like as an Ultimate fan.

Playable Venom, fun cameos, and I believe it was written by the writer of the Ultimate Spider-Man comic books. I don't think I even noticed the "dumbed down" web slinging.

Segata Sanshiro said:
K. I knew a citrus that's a pretty big Spidey fan. Anyway, I'm a big Spidey fan too, and Spider-Man 2 knocked my socks off because for once I really felt like I was web-swinging above a city. It felt incredibly real, and part of that was that if I wanted to travel in a straight line, I had to 'cut' the web and shoot to a building on the other side of the street.

I felt like I was swinging through the air - almost flying, really. Felt like I was heading to the second star on the right and straight on til morning.

I'm sure this game is still really great, especially for Spidey fans, but after you've tasted perfection, it's hard to go back. I just don't know if I can do it. Ultimate Spidey was completely unplayable for me. I'm hoping this isn't as well.

I still dont get why they keep going backwards in terms of swinging, Spiderman 2 swinging was perfect, they didnt need to do anything to the swinging, they just needed to fix the combat and basic story/game parts. Ultimate Spiderman did so much wrong, I remember first seeing it was exciting because it had a cool celshaded style, but it was no fun to play and playing as Venom was like playing as a gimped Hulk.

Can't wait for the Wii version, I'm gonna be just like Spidey shooting webs (with the Wii-mote)!!! Can a hero get a hug!?!?!

Zerostatic said:
Can't wait for the Wii version, I'm gonna be just like Spidey shooting webs (with the Wii-mote)!!! Can a hero get a hug!?!?!
I was considering that version as well but it's a no buy for me because of lack of progressive scan. I expect that for a full price game.

This applies for the European version, don't know about the US version. Someone confirmed this a couple pf posts ago but here is a pic of the back of the box anyways. Lacks a HD/ED-TV icon. It doesn't even have the 50/60 Hz icon. Seriously Activision WTF?

13368014.jpg

I'd get it for PC but if the webslinging is shite on the other versions I'll let this one pass and pick it up in a bargain bin someday.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Well ok, the swinging is some what gimped (**** you Treyarch), & the pop-up is awful from the youtube videos.

So what about the other parts of the game. Is it still the same shit 5 random missions?
Carry construction working to hospital crap & save man/old lady from a mugging shit repeated over & over & over & over.

I hated the massive repetition of it & you were forced to do them to progress through every chapter.

shaft said:
i really like this game, when your down on the streets there alot of things (cars, people even a hotdog stand with a arab looking guy :D )

"Mountain Dew and Crab Juice."
"Euuugh! Ick! ...I'll take the Crab Juice!"

Dave1988 said:
Okay. Playing the PS2 version of S-M3. Spidey is better animated and the pedestrains look better then in S-M 2 butyou can clearly see it's the same engine only upgraded.

Now the swinging....I'm only just started the game but it feels kinda awkward. Proboably have to get used to it but for now I feel that it isn't nearly as intuitive as in S-M2.
Isn't the same game as the wii?

Dave1988

Chû Totoro said:
So no reviews yet ?
Bad sign... :(

They are embargoes till Spider-Man 3 airs.

Ok. More on the PS2 version. I aquired the Symbiote costume. You change from normal Spidey to Black Soidey using left or right on the d-pad. While changing back to your normal costume there is a nifty little QTE event that shows you Spidey struggling to return to normal. After that you have to wait 44 seconds before being able to change into the Black suit again.

Now the swinging.....It sucks. It isn't nearly as intuitive like S-M2, I keep crashing at buildings all the time and it feels like I'm fighting the controls. I'm really disappointed how the PS2 version turned out :(

FTWer said:
Well ok, the swinging is some what gimped (<b>**** you Treyarch</b>), & the pop-up is awful from the youtube videos.

So what about the other parts of the game. Is it still the same shit 5 random missions?
Carry construction working to hospital crap & save man/old lady from a mugging shit repeated over & over & over & over.

I hated the massive repetition of it & you were forced to do them to progress through every chapter.

how about chasing missions. i ****ing hate those chasing ****ing missions in SM2. I hate it so much, i never played that game again.

peace.

Ramenman

ColdBlooder said:
Spidey 2 style. the web attaches to a building like in SS2 and you can still see the webline after you let it go. when you have nothing near you where the webline could attach, then you can´t shoot the webline. like in spiderman 2, just with the new controls. it feels more natural.

What ?? Are you trying to say that Vicarious Vision is using Treyarch's "perfect swinging scheme" in its games while Treyarch himself prefers a dumbed down version ?

Chû Totoro said:
Ok, but it aired yesterday. So we should have the first reviews today.
He means release, not premiere. The reviews are probably being held for the same reason the game is in stores but the street date is set to Friday,
popcorn movie plot non-withstanding spoilers would be everywhere.

Ramenman

Not the best quality of course but that's all we have on the PS2 version so thanks man :)

Anyway the swinging looks different from the PS360 versions.

Edit : If you have the wii version and are reading this, I'd like you to have an idea right now :D

maxmars

Ramenman said:
Edit : If you have the wii version and are reading this, I'd like you to have an idea right now :D

Seconded.. I am finishing Heatseeker and need to know if I should go with this or with FFIII for the DS. :D

Dave1988

Ramenman said:
Not the best quality of course but that's all we have on the PS2 version so thanks man :)

Anyway the swinging looks different from the PS360 versions.

Nope. Don't have the Wii one (in fact, I don't even own a Wii). Should I make more vids? Showing off the combat perhaps?

CorwinB

Ramenman said:

Just started the Wii version (my shop got the Wii and DS version in advance, and agreed to sell them to me since I had preordered, they won't get the 360 version before tomorrow, though).

I've done the tutorial, the first of the "main mission" events (
defusing bombs at the Bugle
), and some free missions, which seem a fair step up from SM2 as far as variety and interest are concerned.

Graphically, it seems Vicarious Vision burned a large part of their polygon budget on Spidey, who looks pretty good (for a Wii game, anyway), and is well-animated. The city doesn't look too hot, there are some pretty horrible textures out there (nice draw distance, though). I'd say it's still a step-up from SM2, but I haven't played it in a long time. There are some obvious problems, such as parts of Spidey disappearing into walls. Blech. Character faces for the cutscenes have ok textures, but the bad lightning isn't too flattering on them. Definitely not a game that you'll want if you are into graphics. I haven't seen any slowdown so far.

But now that the bad part is out of the way, let's talk about the controls. They are very, very good. Swinging is insanely fun. You use either the Wiimote or the nunchuk to throw a web (flick wrist + button), release the button to release the web, and you can use the "opposite button" while swinging (B if you are swinging with nunchuk, Z if you are swinging with the wiimote) for a turbo (which has a very nice blur effect). Z+B is used for web-zipping. Combat controls are surprisingly effective, and use a combination of waggling and button pressing. When the spider-sense is tingling, flicking the nunchuk down will make Spidey dodge instantely (pretty elegant solution for the spider-sense).

There are quite a few unlockable moves and abilities, which are bought with XP points gained from missions. You can make longer strings of combos, and some pretty neat web attacks (such as the excellent Web rodeo).

So my first impressions are pretty positive, I'll try to post something more detailed later

maxmars

CorwinB said:
But now that the bad part is out of the way, let's talk about the controls. They are very, very good. Swinging is insanely fun.

Ach. Sold. Memories of GodFather Wii. :D

Please keep them coming, I have until friday to make up my mind. :D

CorwinB said:
Just started the Wii version (my shop got the Wii and DS version in advance, and agreed to sell them to me since I had preordered, they won't get the 360 version before tomorrow, though).

I've done the tutorial, the first of the "main mission" events (
defusing bombs at the Bugle
), and some free missions, which seem a fair step up from SM2 as far as variety and interest are concerned.

Graphically, it seems Vicarious Vision burned a large part of their polygon budget on Spidey, who looks pretty good (for a Wii game, anyway), and is well-animated. The city doesn't look too hot, there are some pretty horrible textures out there (nice draw distance, though). I'd say it's still a step-up from SM2, but I haven't played it in a long time. There are some obvious problems, such as parts of Spidey disappearing into walls. Blech. Character faces for the cutscenes have ok textures, but the bad lightning isn't too flattering on them. Definitely not a game that you'll want if you are into graphics. I haven't seen any slowdown so far.

But now that the bad part is out of the way, let's talk about the controls. They are very, very good. Swinging is insanely fun. You use either the Wiimote or the nunchuk to throw a web (flick wrist + button), release the button to release the web, and you can use the "opposite button" while swinging (B if you are swinging with nunchuk, Z if you are swinging with the wiimote) for a turbo (which has a very nice blur effect). Z+B is used for web-zipping. Combat controls are surprisingly effective, and use a combination of waggling and button pressing. When the spider-sense is tingling, flicking the nunchuk down will make Spidey dodge instantely (pretty elegant solution for the spider-sense).

There are quite a few unlockable moves and abilities, which are bought with XP points gained from missions. You can make longer strings of combos, and some pretty neat web attacks (such as the excellent Web rodeo).

So my first impressions are pretty positive, I'll try to post something more detailed later
how are the swing physics?

CorwinB

plagiarize said:
how are the swing physics?

I'm not a SM2 expert or anything, so I don't want to incur the wrath of the resident swing physics pros. :D

What I can say is that the swing physics in SM3 Wii feel good, and very movie-like : taking corners, gaining acceleration using turbo... all seem to work just right. I think physics were a bit "tighter" in SM2, but I haven't played this one for at least one year. May also be a case of the in-game physics and the new controls interacting to give a different feeling from SM2.

Just tried the first level of the DS version, and the controls are pretty nice in this one too : you move and swing with the D-Pad, and attacks (web and punch/kicks) on the touch screen (double tap for web, quick draw for close combat). Works surprisingly well, even better than Venom in USM DS. Graphics are excellent for a DS game (no surprise, Vicarious Vision know their stuff as far as DS is concerned, they are probably the top Western team working on it).

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Pedobear said:
I can safely say that the game is fun. It's really, really, really fun. It would have been much better then SM2 if it wasn't for the simplier swinging. But it looks very fluid and there's still alot of fun to be had with it.

IS there still a run/dash button? And when you swing, if you hit the dash button at the bottom the swing, does it speed you up? I'm asking about the 360/PC/PS3 version.

CorwinB said:
I'm not a SM2 expert or anything, so I don't want to incur the wrath of the resident swing physics pros. :D

What I can say is that the swing physics in SM3 Wii feel good, and very movie-like : taking corners, gaining acceleration using turbo... all seem to work just right. I think physics were a bit "tighter" in SM2, but I haven't played this one for at least one year. May also be a case of the in-game physics and the new controls interacting to give a different feeling from SM2.

Just tried the first level of the DS version, and the controls are pretty nice in this one too : you move and swing with the D-Pad, and attacks (web and punch/kicks) on the touch screen (double tap for web, quick draw for close combat). Works surprisingly well, even better than Venom in USM DS. Graphics are excellent for a DS game (no surprise, Vicarious Vision know their stuff as far as DS is concerned, they are probably the top Western team working on it).
that you've played spider-man 2 and are praising the swinging in spider-man 3 wii is enough for me to stop worrying about my pre-order. i just hope that the lack of progressive scan is just an issue with the european version, and that VV weren't lying when they told IGN prog scan and widescreen.

Kingpen

Took this off of another thread on another 'forum'. Figured it might be relevant for you guys...
Here's a glowing review I found...

Description of webslinging and other aspects of the game. All credit to Clickshot from Spideys web:

"All right, this is what you, and me, wanted everyone. A REAL analysis of how this game plays, not some sparse comments. So, here we go.

I've spent exactly 2 hours swinging around the city. I didn't do any missions or anything, I just focused on studying the way Spidey moves now. As you may have heard, no, there is no dual webslinging. At least not yet, anyway. I hear it's an unlockable though. Considering that I'm a SM2 vet, I was extremely interested in using dual webs. That said, I don't even miss it! The swinging is EXTREMELY satisfying, and even the most jaded of us out there will definitely love it. It has a lot to do with the animations they've added. There's simply a ton of 'em, so many that, even though you see them over and over, they never seem repetitive. Every time you leap off a webline, depending on your speed, direction, height, and distance from other obstacles, there'll be a different animation accompanying it.

Which brings me to leaping off of webs. You have two options, release the swing button, or jump off of the line. Each one has their own animations, and both have their uses. Releasing the line enables smooth transitions to another line and speeds you up, whereas leaping from the line makes changing direction easier and gives you major airtime. And I do mean MAJOR airtime! No joke, you can get some serious air in this game folks, and it lets you plot out your next swing, or get over the edge of a building that much easier.

Now, controlling the actual swing. The amount of control you have in this game during your swing is unbelievable. Rest assured, the physics from SM2 remain intact, but now they've given so much control to the player, it mind-boggling. The directional controls dictate the angle of the swing. I mean, from a standstill, you can take off into the air at some extreme angles. It really makes a big difference in making the swinging that much more dramatic. One other thing of note is firing off the webs. Depending on Spidey's orientation in the air, he'll realistically twist and fire off the webline in the direction you press. It's so beautiful to be in the midst of some acrobatic maneuver and watch as Spidey twists out of it and shoots off his web. Amazing. Also, running on walls while holding a webline will be your new 'thing-to-do', I promise. He even has different animations for THAT, depending on whether or not you're attached to the building you're running on, or latched onto another adjacent building. Gorgeous.

The Web-Zip. The WZ, (for short) is now more efficient. It's quicker, faster, and it sends Spidey spiraling feet first toward whatever you WZ'd to. It's performed by tapping the swing button, which makes accessing it even easier.

Physics. As I stated before, the SM2 physics are in, you just have more control over it now. You can swing laterally, and you can still do loop-de-loops. It's even easier now. If you continue to hold the sprint button as you swing upwards, Spidey will kick his legs up and over his head and continue on, looping over the anchor point. From there, you can swing back down or leap off into your many acrobatic maneuvers.

About those acrobatics. Your options are many now. Like I said, there context sensitive, the automatic ones he does from a webline, or leaping from the ground (more on that later). BUT, you also have other acrobatics you can initiate at any time. Tap the sprint button twice in mid-air and you switch to 'acrobatic' mode, where you can use the crawl, jump, punch and kick buttons to engage all sorts of maneuvers! It also seems (not confirmed) that you can combine those buttons for even more acrobatics! I've seen Spidey do some moves on accident that I don't know how to recreate. All in all, swinging and leaping through the air is a beautiful thing, a beautiful thing indeed!

Now, on to leaping. As you've all heard before, charge jumps AND double jumps are in. I try not to double jump, since it kinda takes you out of the moment, and looks completely ludicrous, just like USM. But, sometimes, SOMETIMES, it is effective at giving you extra distance. I just wish you could turn it off. As far as leaping from the ground, Spidey has many animations for dives and leaps, completely different from the swinging ones, depending on whether you tap or charge your jump, how high you are, or if you just walk off an edge. Also, his landings are so beautiful now. Utterly graceful, and there are many of them. And, if you fall too far? Spidey smashes into the ground face first, complete with smoke from the impact. It's sudden, and brutal!

Wall maneuvers. The wall slide is back but, YOU CAN"T LEAP OUT OF IT!!! This was my biggest gripe, and I just hope that it's an unlockable but, sliding along the wall and not being able to jump off is just too big of a mistake. Wall running is an unlockable, and I haven't unlocked it yet, but, as I said before, wall running with a webline is gorgeous and beautifully implemented. Crawling on the wall is improved. He now crawls on the tips of his fingers like the movie (YAY!), and leaping along a wall is more dramatic.

Which brings me to the camera. I don't really know what they did, but it's so much more dramatic now. I noticed Spidey doesn't stay in the center of the screen anymore, and if you're moving to fast, you can even escape the camera. But, whatever they did, the sense of movie-like swinging is at once disarming and completely convincing. The feeling of vertigo you get on top of buildings is stunning, and it renews the feeling you got when you first played SM2. Kudos to Treyarch for that.

Combat. I didn't do much fighting, but it seems more fluid and clean now. The number of moves is staggering, and the web can be implemented flawlessly. Coolest thing about it? You can web sling objects in the background!!!!!! YES!!! I fought some guys in a computer room of sorts, and as I slammed them around, they smashed up cubicles, desks and shelves, complete with true physics. As the debris piled up, I found you could latch on with your web and fling them this way and that, even spin them around like you saw black spidey do in that new trailer. Whipping objects like tables, chairs and pieces of debris was a totally new experience, and is, bar none, the coolest addition I've seen yet.

And there's so much more to see. I could go on forever, but for now, that is the scoop, ladies and gents. And I'm sure there's TONS of other things to discover in the game. And I didn't even TOUCH the black suit!!! I'm officially hyped, and you should be too. SM3 looks to exceed our expectations, and here is a tip of the hat to Treyarch for officially 'doing Spidey right'. "

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
The game is officially awesome. The more you progress the more you gain your old SM2 abilities. The web webswinging is very fluid and I can work with it unlike the webswinging in USM.

It's pretty long too and there's alot of mission variety this time around. I feel more like Spider-Man instead of Spider-Needs-To-Drop-To-Ground-Level-To-Trigger-Mission--Man The missions seem to branch as my friend didn't do the same missions as I did.

The symbiote suit is not triggerable so I don't know what's up with that. You get the symbiote...then hours later it finally takes Peter over and that's it. Can't switch it off.

The symbiote is pretty awesome too. Scorpion's storyline was awesome with how the symbiote was used.

Fatghost said:
IS there still a run/dash button? And when you swing, if you hit the dash button at the bottom the swing, does it speed you up? I'm asking about the 360/PC/PS3 version.
Yup. So awesome.

Snaku

Banned
Pedobear said:
The game is officially awesome. The more you progress the more you gain your old SM2 abilities. The web webswinging is very fluid and I can work with it unlike the webswinging in USM.

That's what I've been trying to tell people, but they all just freak out. :lol It's like Crackdown, the more you play, the better your skills become.

Pedobear said:
The symbiote suit is not triggerable so I don't know what's up with that. You get the symbiote...then hours later it finally takes Peter over and that's it. Can't switch it off.

You can only switch in the last gen versions.

Pedobear said:

It's pretty long too and there's alot of mission variety this time around. I feel more like Spider-Man instead of Spider-Needs-To-Drop-To-Ground-Level-To-Trigger-Mission--Man The missions seem to branch as my friend didn't do the same missions as I did.

Pretty sure you just sold me a copy of this game.

Top Bottom