• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The NES Classic Edition Controller Cord Seems Exceedingly Short

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Update: confirmed :(
Confirmed ~3ft length for the retail version. 😩
https://youtu.be/tge1sHXHqps?t=260
77pJAFv.jpg

CwRPm6MWYAMLX5H.jpg:large

Left 80´s, right NESClassic

To give you an idea of real-world use, here's the NES Classic hooked up to a (32", I think) TV using all of the included cables. I'm powering it off of the TV's USB plug, to show best-case distance (as in, not having to have the power cable reach to an outlet in another location).

Best-case scenario I think is either going to be playing at a desk, or putting the unit on a coffee table between you and the TV if things are all close enough. Or, you know, getting longer cables / cable extenders. Of course, extending the controller cord's length makes it harder to use the Reset button, which you may be using quite a bit.

69RFCU2.jpg

Like Super/Famicom levels of short. It really looks like they re-purposed a bunch of Wii compatible controllers going by the length (~34 inches on my Wii CC). I know it's cheap, but they must not realize people are going to want to play this thing on TVs larger than 19 inches that you sit directly in front of. Seems like a dumb thing to skimp out on if you're trying to capture lapsed/casual gamers. As far as we know, the controller can plug into the Wii Remote (for wireless use on Wii/U) but not for use on the Classic Edition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45m1ZrRDHJM
qGrHQ0X.gif

Good length to hide behind your computer monitor at work.

This could be a pre-production unit issue that will be remedied in the retail release.

georly

Yeah that length isn't going to work for my at home setup, and i imagine most others.

Either need to use a really long hdmi and have the console sit on the coffee table or going to have to buy some of these:

6b8c2bcaca8c5d7d4d2dab7d.jpg

Thanks for doing the legwork on this one! I was afraid of this upon seeing the first image on Twitter, but I didn't have time to look up anything else. I could understand the length if that controller was meant to only plug into a Wii-mote, but come on! That's way too short.

That being said, I want one of these just to keep it in the box. So this won't keep me from buying.

I doubt they specifically repackaged Classic Controllers as those haven't been in production for years.

They probably did base the length on the Classic Controller since the controller works like one.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
As stated in the other thread, pre-production controller cords are generally shorter than the final product.

ghibli99

I'm excited about this thing, and I'm gonna buy one anyway, but seriously, what were they thinking? :(

9-10' is pretty standard these days, no?

Phu

Banned
Man, remember how cool is was when they gave those Smash Gamecube controllers a longer than normal cord length?

Also, since the console is so small, isn't it too light? I mean, if I place it next to my TV, won't it move around whenever the controller cord moves?

iidesuyo

Maybe it's the Japanese version?

I have a Super Famicom at home, its controller cables are REALLY short, like 1m. For the European version, they made the controller cables more than twice as long.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Welp. That's my purchase cancelled. Good work Nintendo. 2016 and you make a controller that is not only wired, but wired with a 10cm cable. Noice.

inner-G

Banned
This could be a deal-breaker for me.

If it's a hassle to use and I need to buy a bunch of extensions, the ease-of-use and perceived value selling points are diminished.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

I have a Super Famicom at home, its controller cables are REALLY short, like 1m. For the European version, they made the controller cables more than twice as long.

Is Japan even getting this? Yeah my SFC controllers are 38" (97cm). Pretty much unusable. SNES controllers are more than twice that.

iidesuyo

Is Japan even getting this? Yeah my SFC controllers are 38" (97cm). Pretty much unusable. SNES controllers are more than twice that.

Now that you say it... The Famicom also had a different design than the NES. I doubt they would bring the Western design over.

Shouldn't we wait until we see it outside of a trailer?
This seems like an overreaction at the moment.

Then again, personally I wouldn't have a problem since I have a long HDMI cord and my tv is close to my coach. So who knows

FelipeMGM

Its not, in the video they even point out that the controller has an inscription with ''Made in Germany'' on the back

Top Bottom