• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Adventures Of The GAFcast Episode #003 - 08/05/06

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
Yeah, yeah, we know. This was supposed to be up on Sunday, not Wednesday. Sorry, technical difficulties arose. Can you forgive us? We don't come bearing chocolate or flowers, but we do have some Grade A, Geek Certified videogame commentary coming at you. In this, the third episode, we introduce the fourth member of the team... and he jumps right into the action, ready to ruffle more than his share of feathers. Here's the rundown:

*Opening like usual with "What we've been playing" and now "What we'll be playing" (Wait, did Dan tell us that?) and some Knee-Jerk news that ends up taking a little bit longer than normal.
*The Real News/Rumors Section, wherein we discuss how almost every game developer seems to be in heat recently... for Nintendo, and just what do we think about Gears of War not having a demo and the Emergence Day debacle.
*Topic o' The Week! E3, we hardly knew ye. What's life going to be like in this post E3 landscape? We also make sure to address all two of the question of the week responses, as well as pose a new one in hopes of great participation. *Cough*

Total Runtime: 01:08:42
Size: 36.10MB

*edit*

GAFcast Main page

The New Adventures Of The GAFcast Episode #003 - 08/05/2006

Ponn

Banned
Yea, real funny. I downloaded it, listened to the first minute, heard who the fourth was and closed iTunes. Good luck with that.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Ponn01 said:
Yea, real funny. I downloaded it, listened to the first minute, heard who the fourth was and closed iTunes. Good luck with that.

:lol :lol

Not even gonna give it a try?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
hahaha, hey, if you listened to it youd see that dcharlie actually defended the ps3 the most out of all of us hahaha

also unstickying so people actually see it.

Wollan

Ahah,
DCharlie
, I knew it. Lets hear it *continues podcast*

edit: Does that mean Oblivion PS3 confirmed?

Amir0x

Banned
Well DCharlie's accent is cool, but that's another pretty ill-advised cast addition I think :lol

You can pretend to be sincere, but it comes through hard. Anyway, another high quality podcast for the most part. Pretty solid stuff.

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
Ponn01 said:

If you actually listened, David really defends Sony quite a bit in the 'cast.

Also, on the temporary home page for the podcast, Chris wrote up these descriptions of the crew:

Dan Dormer: Host. Generally looked down upon by the panelists for his rampant misuse of the English language, Dormer takes his medicine with a positive outlook towards a future in which podcasting becomes the dominant entertainment paradigm.

Chris Kohler: Editor of the Wired News blog Game|Life and close, personal friend of Shigeru Miyamoto’s mailman, Kohler brings to the group a detailed knowledge of the industry and jokes about reproductive organs.

Justin Epperson: NeoGAF moderator who won fame in the late seventies for being the perfect combination of fork and spoon, thus saving our landfills from overflowing with excess plastic utensils: for now. Lives in Japan.

David Coyles: From the sound of him, originates from some foriegn country that is not America; therefore untrustworthy. Also lives in Japan. Was one of the few people who actually bought a PSX, thereby giving him free reign for the rest of his life to 1) assert without question his Sony fanboyism and 2) bash Sony.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Ponn01 said:
lol

boo hoo

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
You can pretend to be sincere, but it comes through hard.

there was a gang of Sony Yak thugs here bending my arm to say nice stuff about Sony, it was horrible :(

and now i've upset Ponn1 :(

Ponn

Banned
Agent Dormer said:
If you actually listened, David really defends Sony quite a bit in the 'cast.

Also, on the temporary home page for the podcast, Chris wrote up these descriptions of the crew:

Dan Dormer: Host. Generally looked down upon by the panelists for his rampant misuse of the English language, Dormer takes his medicine with a positive outlook towards a future in which podcasting becomes the dominant entertainment paradigm.

Chris Kohler: Editor of the Wired News blog Game|Life and close, personal friend of Shigeru Miyamoto’s mailman, Kohler brings to the group a detailed knowledge of the industry and jokes about reproductive organs.

Justin Epperson: NeoGAF moderator who won fame in the late seventies for being the perfect combination of fork and spoon, thus saving our landfills from overflowing with excess plastic utensils: for now. Lives in Japan.

David Coyles: From the sound of him, originates from some foriegn country that is not America; therefore untrustworthy. Also lives in Japan. Was one of the few people who actually bought a PSX, thereby giving him free reign for the rest of his life to 1) assert without question his Sony fanboyism and 2) bash Sony.

No, I am actually listening it to, my complaint still stands. My problem is you all did not listen to the two major complaints from people. 1) Diversity and 2) Differing viewpoints. I don't care if Dcharlie felt the need defend Sony. He's not a bad guy even though i've had my run ins with him and actually enjoy his posts believe it or not. But he is not a differing viewpoint that reflects the current make up of GAF. Your show is definitely loaded to one side at this point. Not only that, the majority of your cast is in Japan. To my knowledge the majority of GAF is not. I enjoy hearing some things about Japan, but when everyone on the cast is from Japan and spend quite a lot of time talking about the Japanese releases and japanese gaming that is also a huge turn off.

Amir0x

Banned
DCharlie said:
there was a gang of Sony Yak thugs here bending my arm to say nice stuff about Sony, it was horrible :(

and now i've upset Ponn1 :(

Hahaa, i know. Nobody is happy about what Sony is doing, so it's pretty hard to even be sincerely positive as this juncture unless you're, uh, a viral marketer (*cough*)

DCharlie

No, I am actually listening it to, my complaint still stands. My problem is you all did not listen to the two major complaints from people. 1) Diversity and 2) Differing viewpoints. I don't care if Dcharlie felt the need defend Sony. He's not a bad guy even though i've had my run ins with him and actually enjoy his posts believe it or not. But he is not a differing viewpoint that reflects the current make up of GAF. Your show is definitely loaded to one side at this point. Not only that, the majority of your cast is in Japan. To my knowledge the majority of GAF is not. I enjoy hearing some things about Japan, but when everyone on the cast is from Japan and do nothing but talk about the Japanese releases thats is also a huge turn off.

why not listen to the cast? You might be surprised.
What i post here != what i think, and pretty much everyone who knows me off board knows this. :/

seriously, i'm only an arsehole when i type....

edit: Ah, you are listening to it. my bad.

Amir0x

Banned
Demos -

1. Are they worth the effort?

Absolutely. Any effort is positive if it gives a possible contribution to a games sales in this increasingly expensive development world. Look at what happened with Lost Planet: who the good **** would have cared about it this seriously if the demo had not come out? It's especially important for brand new titles not in established franchises, because it allows users to see if they'd enjoy it. I think it's a positive thing, worth all the effort, and it's one of my favorite things about next-gen - no going to the store to pick up crap jampacks or pay 40 bucks for a subscription to a terrible official magazine.

2. Are they more important in a post-E3 world?

The importance is no more or less, because E3 was supposed to be for the industry anyway - not regular consumers. If these industry people are getting the information for their mags and internet sites from downloadable demos, they're not too important anyway :lol

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
Ponn01 said:
No, I am actually listening it to, my complaint still stands. My problem is you all did not listen to the two major complaints from people. 1) Diversity and 2) Differing viewpoints. I don't care if Dcharlie felt the need defend Sony. He's not a bad guy even though i've had my run ins with him and actually enjoy his posts believe it or not. But he is not a differing viewpoint that reflects the current make up of GAF. Your show is definitely loaded to one side at this point. Not only that, the majority of your cast is in Japan. To my knowledge the majority of GAF is not. I enjoy hearing some things about Japan, but when everyone on the cast is from Japan and spend quite a lot of time talking about the Japanese releases and japanese gaming that is also a huge turn off.

Is 50% a majority? Only half of the crew is in Japan (with the other half in America), which I think is a level of diversity a lot of people don't consider because now we have two markets heavily covered in the sense of "What we've been playing". And I don't think we're very one-sided. Chris and Justin are really pro-Nintendo, David likes the X360, and while I'm enjoying the X360 now, for the past couple years I've been a huge supporter of the PS2/Sony. Maybe Sony just isn't too defensible at this point, eh?

sprsk

Ponn01 said:
No, I am actually listening it to, my complaint still stands. My problem is you all did not listen to the two major complaints from people. 1) Diversity and 2) Differing viewpoints. I don't care if Dcharlie felt the need defend Sony. He's not a bad guy even though i've had my run ins with him and actually enjoy his posts believe it or not. But he is not a differing viewpoint that reflects the current make up of GAF. Your show is definitely loaded to one side at this point. Not only that, the majority of your cast is in Japan. To my knowledge the majority of GAF is not. I enjoy hearing some things about Japan, but when everyone on the cast is from Japan and do nothing but talk about the Japanese releases that is also a huge turn off.

er, only half of us are in japan.

also where would you say our podcast lies in terms of balance? We got dormer whos pretty agnostic, i lean away from xbox, dcharlie is pretty heavy pro xbox, kohler is ...anti sony? i dunno, well i guess more nintendo centric. I think adding dcharlie would atleast fill in the gap as far as covering A. sports games B. xbox games i nor kohler will probably ever play. You cant expect us to come in there singing happy praises for sony when they arent giving us reason to. Were not gonna be fanboys just to balance shit out. It would suck ass if we just threw cockles on with solidsnake and jarrod bickering about whos list is bigger.

Y2Kev

It's so much more listenable than before. Is it heavily edited to remove pauses or do you guys do something special?

sprsk

Y2Kevbug11 said:
It's so much more listenable than before. Is it heavily edited to remove pauses or do you guys do something special?

We did something we should have thought of in the first place, which is, only record your own voice.

Ponn

Banned
sp0rsk said:
er, only half of us are in japan.

also where would you say our podcast lies in terms of balance? We got dormer whos pretty agnostic, i lean away from xbox, dcharlie is pretty heavy pro xbox, kohler is ...anti sony? i dunno, well i guess more nintendo centric. I think adding dcharlie would atleast fill in the gap as far as covering A. sports games B. xbox games i nor kohler will probably ever play. You cant expect us to come in there singing happy praises for sony when they arent giving us reason to. Were not gonna be fanboys just to balance shit out. It would suck ass if we just threw cockles on with solidsnake and jarrod bickering about whos list is bigger.

Well, you guys are already getting defensive and going all clique. Thats a bad sign for me too but whatever. I could have sworn Kobun was living in Japan. I said before I didn't want to see a Sony fanboy in there, I don't want to see anyone with that type of baggage doing something like that or singing praises for no reason. Obviously you all aren't up to constructive criticism right now and this is just going to turn into "Ahhh sony fanboy crying" shit fest. If you really care what i'm getting at I will PM one of if you want.

Y2Kev

Was dcharlie "honorary" or "ornery"?

Dcharlie: They're just gonna "wheit." Oh dcharlie i love your voice.

sprsk

mechesontrance said:
Why isn't this sticky?

Because i dont want every week to switch otu the thread and have it get to the point to where no one notices it has come out.

edit: yikes lets try this again

Because, if i switch out the thread every week people are just gonna forget that its updated. not stickying it gives it a little chance to live and breathe before getting stuck.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
"let's do that after the break, because y'know... fcuk 'em."

"yeah, fcuk 'em."

:lol

I love that random stuff.

Chris's (and others') spontaneous outbursts are some of the best moments, imo.

Wollan

C'mon guys, two months or so doesn't lift a 7 game to a 9 for most games.
And they won't save alot of time because they will make builds(albeit probably less polished) for the 'new E3'.

Y2Kev

Justin, you are really good this episode. The part where you got into the discussion over parents and point of purchase...good discussion.

I am not totally done with the episode, but this is not very anti-PS3 (or even anti-PS3 tinted at all). I'm finding it very enjoyable and I feared it would be an hour of poking fun at Sony.

Great job, guys....so far.

GoW is nov 9 I think. In stores by the 12th.

DCharlie

i'm off to bed too (the timing with sporsk is purely coincidental) but a big hand to Agent Dormer - great job on the edit! Sounds nice (not much you could do about my accent! ;) )

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Yeah, the sound quality is really nice. Which person was the host recording? Because Dcharlie's voice quality was as good as Dormer's (who I assume was the host recording)

What kind of mic is everyone using?

And because of Dcharlie...I might have to pick up Chromehound.

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
Lonestar said:
Yeah, the sound quality is really nice. Which person was the host recording? Because Dcharlie's voice quality was as good as Dormer's (who I assume was the host recording)

What kind of mic is everyone using?

And because of Dcharlie...I might have to pick up Chromehound.

Well, we all record our own track - no one is recorded by anyone else (or am I missing the question here?).

I use my PS2 Logitech headseat, actually. :lol

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
okay, just finished it.

and yeah, Dormer is right. 1 hr is too long. If you can't make the podcast around 30-45min perhaps make two podcasts a week, at 30min each (but do the recording on just one day). split the content between two shorter and more focused podcasts (released on different days) rather than lumping it all into one... but that's just me.

as for feedback on the question.... i can live without the kinds of demos that developers had to cram for E3 (mostly because I never got to go to E3 to play them myself anyway). As long as they release some media; like screens, gameplay videos, or even trailers throughout the game's development, that'd be sufficient for me.

Like someone said on the cast, developers shouldn't have to show a game to the media if they don't feel it's ready, but then they can't afford to leave us in the dark either. This way they can show a demo to the press on their own timeline, rather than a forced external timeline.

Wollan

Demos -

Yes. From what I get many developers think it's a good way to 'get their shit together' not to mention I would think it's a motivator in most cases(expect for that one poor game) for the devs to go the last mile before release(this assuming the demo is released several months before release). Besides the devs perspective, I think it's pretty clear that us the customers want them. Crave them even(escpecially in making purchase decisions). Of course, a bad demo can hurt alot, ecspecially when a competitor got something that rocks(Too Human vs Heavenly Sword anyone?). If you can't put together a good demo then don't do one. But demos worth their salt is definetly worth the effort.

Public demoes will become more important with the emergence of X360 Live and PNP(PS3 online service). No longer are people restricted to buy a 10$ mag to get a hold of these(the mags for many regions coming so late the games most likely being released already) and they are easily attainable from your couch. As to trade show demoes, with E3 'gone' and TGS heading for a merging with other medias I think devs will use less time on them. They will still make demoes but they will be more like playable portions running from the game editor/toolkits with a dev sitting nearby. He/she will have more intimite contact with the player and when a bug occurs they can just move on because of the enviroment.

I think we will end up seeing more 'playable portions'(with more early bugs than a E3 demo) on a toolkit for tradeshows with public demoes coming out a week or two from release.

Wollan

Btw, that was a pretty good show. DCharlie managed to put in a more realistic view I think.
He's a very good addition and it seems like he takes his time to think about his comments before stating them.
Best show yet.

Y2Kev

Demos -

Absolutely not. I'm going to reference the discussion from the podcast regarding Too Human. Kobun brings up an interesting point in that these poor SK developers have to crunch for months before the show to get out a playable demo so the general public can play without a discerning eye, and then they get shit all over regardless. What is the benefit to SK? Even for developers who produce "good" demos...that's a lot of unnecessary work. They can show the game in its unfinished state to press only.

We just had a thread entitled "Can Too Human redeem itself?" What was once a huge, high-profile 360 megablockbuster now has to redeem itself for having a poor framerate on an E3 demo? Talking about falling off the map!

Maybe. If developers can set their OWN deadlines for releasing the work when they see fit, perhaps demos can be a valuable buying guide. If a developer wants to release a part of their finished product on XBL, for instance, that's fine. But they're done with development anyway.

The public wasn't supposed to be at E3 anyway, and press will continue to see the games behind closed doors and at special events. What, exactly, changes? People weren't supposed to be at E3 playing those demos.

Other notes: Yes, excellent work. There was no PS3 defending in the episode. Don't even patronize people who don't listen to it. This is a very good episode free from any biased rambling at all. Excellent job.

Top Bottom