• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

Grug

Oooh, Pathan throws his wicket away.

There is the very slightest glimmer of hope for SL now, but India still in a good position.

legend166

Ugh, both TV's with Foxtel in my house are taken up by garbage. My sister is watching the Hills. The Hills!

So I've been relegated to reading cricinfo. India should take this home.

master15

Good win India, as I thought Dhoni being there at the end ensured an Indian victory, they will be also pleased by Yuvraj finding some form also.

Is that pretty much Sri Lanka out now?

Finally some form from Yuvraj. We may actually see a competitive final. Hopefully the final isn't an absolute belting. I really think we could be in for a good final between India and Australia (assuming sri lanka don't make it of course).

Also i've fallen a bit behind but what's happened to Sehwag. I'm assuming his injured, if so how serious is it?

Grug

India win.

Umpire ruined the finish by calling that wide.

India shouldn't be too happy with that performance.

Had Sri Lanka 2/6 in their innings yet couldn't go on with it and bowl them out. Then in their innings they were well on top and still nearly snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

Australia is so far ahead of these two teams its not funny.

Great game to watch as a neutral though.

Grug

legend166 said:
I don't think we're that far ahead.

Sri Lanka has the best batsman in the competition.

<3 Sangakarra.

Even while in their worst batting form slump in years the Australian team has still secured a bonus point from each of their three wins.

We're miles ahead of the rest... once our batters find form again we'll be in an entire other league again.

master15

AdventureRacing said:
Also i've fallen a bit behind but what's happened to Sehwag. I'm assuming his injured, if so how serious is it?

He was fit for this game but not picked, for some odd reason. Personally he has to come back and open, he really adds that element up the top.

I don't think Australia are miles are ahead of either team personally. Sure we've won all of our games bar one and secured bonus points but I think that's down to some exceptional bowling and some brain-meltdowns form the opposition. I think we're definitely ahead but not leagues better.

As for Sangakarra he's a class act, through and through.

Grug

The second spot in the finals is still very much up for grabs.

Sri Lanka can get there by winning 2 of their remaining three.

Dead Man

Grug said:
Even while in their worst batting form slump in years the Australian team has still secured a bonus point from each of their three wins.

We're miles ahead of the rest... once our batters find form again we'll be in an entire other league again.

Don't get too cocky Grug, with the scores so low it didn't take much of a difference in runs to get the bonus point. When you only score 170 odd it's only a few runs between a win and giving away a bonus point. All it would have taken is the tail getting a couple extra boundaries and those bonus points would have disappeared quickly.

That said, there is no reason for Australia to be batting this poorly, and I think they have been given a fright a couple times now which will hopefully restore them to the premier line up in cricket. They are the best in potential, they are just not performing at the moment.

master15

Meanwhile Nee Zealand is getting a pounding in Napier. Mustard and Cook are taking the bowlers to pieces.

I can't believe McCullen dropped such a sitter of a catch early on :(

master15 said:
He was fit for this game but not picked, for some odd reason. Personally he has to come back and open, he really adds that element up the top.

Your fucking kidding me. So after their stupid fucking decision not to start him from the beginning of the test series their at it again. Sehwag is just about the only player on their team who can really take it to the opposition bowlers. If they don't pick him in later games then i hope they get absolutely belted for being so stupid.

tri_willy

india might also want to give tendulkar a rest...
he hasnt been in the best of form...
also would like to see david hussey get into the line up
for australia. he's a player in form.

Pachael

You can argue that Australia does have a home ground advantage, both in terms of the playing fields as well as the fact that family's around. So it shouldn't be surprising that the visiting teams aren't doing as well - so more credit to them when they win.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
I didn't mean any offence by laughing, it just seems strange and I laugh at strange things because that's how I was raised.

I get that it's not related to baseball but it seems sorta like kicking a football into your own net if you're going backwards. I guess the idea of not having a direction of play is what I was getting at. In football you know which way you're going, am. football you know which way, and so on. Makes sense I suppose though.

The reason I ask about the ten wickets thing is because of sports night. They said it was like pitching three perfect games on three days in a row but that seemed strange. I watched a video of it on youtube and they were hitting the ball so I couldn't quite understand how it was like throwing a perfect game.

How do people in America watch the game? It's not on Setanta :(

santouras

I'm not sure if this is ok to post, so if it's not, please tell me and I'll remove

Came across this when looking for some way to watch the live cricket at work, www.cricketlivelinks.com . You need to install a plugin for IE/FF called SopCast which is kind of like a streaming P2P application. Then you go to that live links website and people put up links to each game, and usually a couple of different streams, Sky Sports, Indian Stream, Ch9 stream, just depending on who is playing obviously.

Works like a charm and has let me follow the cricket when at work!

But yes, if streaming live tv is some kind of piracy thing etc, please let me know and I'll delete this post!

QVT

They stream it in the NFL thread so no big deal. I was just kinda hoping for stuff actually on TV.

legend166

QVT said:
I didn't mean any offence by laughing, it just seems strange and I laugh at strange things because that's how I was raised.

I get that it's not related to baseball but it seems sorta like kicking a football into your own net if you're going backwards. I guess the idea of not having a direction of play is what I was getting at. In football you know which way you're going, am. football you know which way, and so on. Makes sense I suppose though.

The reason I ask about the ten wickets thing is because of sports night. They said it was like pitching three perfect games on three days in a row but that seemed strange. I watched a video of it on youtube and they were hitting the ball so I couldn't quite understand how it was like throwing a perfect game.

How do people in America watch the game? It's not on Setanta :(

There's no specific area to try and hit the ball too. I mean, in football you're trying to reach the goal, so you want to primarily move forward. Cricket is completely different.

I have no idea what you're talking about with the perfect game thing. For someone to get 10 wickets without the batsman ever getting a run would be nigh impossible, and has never happened with cricket, professional or semi-professional. Runs are not as scare as they are in baseball. In test match cricket (the one that goes 5 days), you commonly see teams getting over 400 runs in an inning.

Also, the IPL auction starts in 30minutes. I have no idea where to watch it though. Anyone know if there's a site we can get updates on?

master15

santouras said:
Works like a charm and has let me follow the cricket when at work!

Yup, good stuff. I remember the glory days watching the Cricket World Cup streaming from my work computer. I had the perfect desk with a wall behind me so no one could really see what I was doing. Good stuff (Only wish I had found out about it during last Ashes).

Living in London and trying to keep up with the games was a nightmare, I often would have BBC streaming audio playing, and would wake up to the voice of Boycott which wasn't the most pleasant noise let me tell you ;)

By the way, an absolute cracker of a game happening at Napier between NZ v England. What a run chase!

QVT

legend166 said:
There's no specific area to try and hit the ball too. I mean, in football you're trying to reach the goal, so you want to primarily move forward. Cricket is completely different.

I have no idea what you're talking about with the perfect game thing. For someone to get 10 wickets without the batsman ever getting a run would be nigh impossible, and has never happened with cricket, professional or semi-professional. Runs are not as scare as they are in baseball. In test match cricket (the one that goes 5 days), you commonly see teams getting over 400 runs in an inning.

There was just an episode of sports night where a bowler had taken all 10 wickets in an innings and it was supposed to be a big story. I guess it's just american confusion like someone being amazed that a footballer has scored a hat trick and going on like it's some great departure from that darn ol' nil-nil.

legend166

Oh, well yeah, in terms of significance, one bowler taking taking 10 wickets in an innings is similar to pitching a perfect game. It hasn't happened many times at international level. A couple of Indian players have done it, in fact.

Edit: In fact, looking at cricinfo, it's only happened twice in Test matches in the 130 odd years they've been playing it.

Once by the current captain of India, Anil Kumble, and the evil Englishman Laker, who totally rolled Australia back in 56.

master15

Oh dear the game between New Zealand and England ends in a tie

What an epic run-chase but New Zealand having done pretty much all the hard work deserved to do better in the final overs. All down to the final game in the series.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Auctions have started for the IPL!

Dhoni has gone for over a million dollars US, the highest so far.

When a more complete list is available, i shall post it here, or i'm sure some one else will.

It'll be interesting to get some discussions on the different teams.

The first hard news out - and it's big news. India's captain, Mahendra Singh Dhoni, has been bought by the Chennai franchise for US$1.5 million. The other first picks: Adam Gilchrist has gone to Hyderabad for US$700,000, Muttiah Muralitharan to Chennai for US$600,000, Shane Warne to Jaipur for US$450,000 and Shoaib Akhtar to Kolkata for US$425,000. So Chennai has already spent US$2.1 million and grabbed two big names. It is unlikely that anyone will beat Dhoni's figure but in these times anything is possible.

In the second round of bidding, Mumbai got active and bought Sanath Jayasuriya for $9,75,000 (his base price being $2,50,000) and Harbhajan Singh for $8,50,000 (his base price being $2,50,000). The other players who were picked in the second round of bidding were: Anil Kumble by Bangalore for $5,00,000 (base price: $2,50,000) and Kumar Sangakkara by Mohali for $7,00,000 (base price: $2,50,000).

Glenn McGrath and Mohammad Yousuf haven't found any takers so far, so they have gone into the reserve pool and will be picked later.

Jaipur Shane Warne (US$ 450,000)

Chennai MS Dhoni (US$ 1.5 million), Muttiah Muralitharan (US$ 600,000), Matthew Hayden (US$ 375,000), Jacob Oram (US$ 675,000)

Mumbai Sachin Tendulkar (icon), Sanath Jayasuriya (US$ 975,000), Harbhajan Singh (US$ 850,000)

Bangalore Rahul Dravid (icon), Anil Kumble (US$ 500,000)

Hyderabad Adam Gilchrist (US$ 700,000), Andrew Symonds (US$ 1.35 million)

Mohali Yuvraj Singh (icon), Mahela Jayawardene (US$ 475,000), Kumar Sangakkara (US$ 700,000), Brett Lee (US$ 900,000)

Kolkata Sourav Ganguly (icon), Shoaib Akhtar (US$ 425,000), Ricky Ponting (US$ 400,000), Brendon McCullum (US$ 700,000)

Delhi Virender Sehwag (icon), Daniel Vettori (US$ 625,000)

medrew

The teams have a salary cap of 5 million. So it's interesting to see Chennai (blow?) 40% of that on two players.

Is Dhoni really worth twice as much as Gilchrist?

HolyCheck

medrew said:
The teams have a salary cap of 5 million. So it's interesting to see Chennai (blow?) 40% of that on two players.

Is Dhoni really worth twice as much as Gilchrist?

No not really!

also, added more news to my last post.

medrew

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
Wow you'd have to be stupid to pay that much for Harbhajan Singh, lol seriously wow, thats such a friggin waste.

i'm assuming the indians are getting more money than they're worth relative to other international players given it is their league and everything and hence have more value to the local market for the teams.

cyclone87

$1.5M to Dhoni? :lol

From what little I've seen from him over the last few months (before he came to Australia I didn't really know him) I don't think he's worth that much. Oh well.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
medrew said:
i'm assuming the indians are getting more money than they're worth relative to other international players given it is their league and everything and hence have more value to the local market for the teams.

Yeah true but still, i wouldnt waste that much money on him.

medrew

Fleming for $350k. Lol, and he's retired so they're assured of his services for all games.

Jaipur is going to spend big on Sehwag. They look like the only team that'll be able to afford him without going over the limit too far

edit: bloody hell, Sehwag is an icon player. Makes me look smart.

cyclone87

Holy shit Symonds o_O

Maybe them Indians don't hate him that much after all :lol I hope he bats better then he has been lately.

Dead Man

cyclone87 said:
Holy shit Symonds o_O

Maybe them Indians don't hate him that much after all :lol I hope he bats better then he has been lately.

I reckon like most things it is a few vocal hard core individuals that motivate crowds to act in unison. Groupthink is universal.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Well they have continually said Symonds is the best 20 20 players so you would expect him to go for the most of the non-Indian players, the rest i would agree with cause of their form slumps of late, but hey we lol at it and they are earning more in a few weeks than we do in 4 -10 years or whatever!!

Grug

Gilly and Symonds in the same team... I guess I'll be supporting Hyderabad in this funny little competition.

legend166

Pathan goes for just under a million. Cameron White picks up $500k.

Also, the Hyderabad team is ridiculous: Adam Gilchrist (US$ 700,000), Andrew Symonds (US$ 1.35 million), Herschelle Gibbs (US$ 575,000), Shahid Afridi (US$ 675,000), Scott Styris (US$ 175,000).

They're going to have no bowlers. Here are all the teams so far:

Jaipur Shane Warne (US$ 450,000), Graeme Smith (US$ 475,000), Younis Khan (US$ 225,000), Kamran Akmal (US$ 150,000), Yusuf (US$ 475,000)

Chennai MS Dhoni (US$ 1.5 million), Muttiah Muralitharan (US$ 600,00), Matthew Hayden (US$ 375,000), Jacob Oram (US$ 675,000), Stephen Fleming (US$ 350,000), Parthiv Patel (US$ 325,000), Joginder Sharma (US$ 225,000), Albie Morkel (US$ 650,000)

Mumbai Sachin Tendulkar (icon), Sanath Jayasuriya (US$ 975,000), Harbhajan Singh (US$ 850,000), Shaun Pollock (US$ 550,000)

Bangalore Rahul Dravid (icon), Anil Kumble (US$ 500,000), Jacques Kallis (US$ 900,000), Zaheer Khan (US$ 450,000), Mark Boucher (US$ 450,000), Cameron White (US$ 500,000)

Hyderabad Adam Gilchrist (US$ 700,000), Andrew Symonds (US$ 1.35 million), Herschelle Gibbs (US$ 575,000), Shahid Afridi (US$ 675,000), Scott Styris (US$ 175,000)

Mohali Yuvraj Singh (icon), Mahela Jayawardene (US$ 475,000), Kumar Sangakkara (US$ 700,000), Brett Lee (US$ 900,000), Sreesanth (US$ 625,000), Irfan Pathan (US$ 925,000)

Kolkata Sourav Ganguly (icon), Shoaib Akhtar (US$ 425,000), Ricky Ponting (US$ 400,000), Brendon McCullum (US$ 700,000), Chris Gayle (US$ 800,000), Ajit Agarkar (US$ 330,000)

Delhi Virender Sehwag (icon), Daniel Vettori (US$ 625,000), Shoaib Malik (US$ 500,000), Mohammad Asif (US$ 650,000), AB de Villiers (US$ 300,000), Dinesh Karthik (US$ 525,000), Farveez Maharoof (US$ 225,000), Tillakaratne Dilshan (US$ 250,000)

Getting it from here: http://blogs.cricinfo.com/breakingnews/

HolyCheck

Jaipur Shane Warne (US$ 450,000), Graeme Smith (US$ 475,000), Younis Khan (US$ 225,000), Kamran Akmal (US$ 150,000), Yusuf Pathan (US$ 475,000), Mohammad Kaif (US$ 675,000), Munaf Patel (US$ 275,000)

Chennai MS Dhoni (US$ 1.5 million), Muttiah Muralitharan (US$ 600,00), Matthew Hayden (US$ 375,000), Jacob Oram (US$ 675,000), Stephen Fleming (US$ 350,000), Parthiv Patel (US$ 325,000), Joginder Sharma (US$ 225,000), Albie Morkel (US$ 675,000), Suresh Raina (US$ 650,000), Makhaya Ntini (US$ 200,000)

Mumbai Sachin Tendulkar (icon), Sanath Jayasuriya (US$ 975,000), Harbhajan Singh (US$ 850,000), Shaun Pollock (US$ 550,000), Robin Uthappa (US$ 800,000), Lasith Malinga (US$ 350,000), Dilhara Fernando (US$ 150,000)

Bangalore Rahul Dravid (icon), Anil Kumble (US$ 500,000), Jacques Kallis (US$ 900,000), Zaheer Khan (US$ 450,000), Mark Boucher (US$ 450,000), Cameron White (US$ 500,000), Wasim Jaffer (US$ 150,000), Dale Steyn (US$ 325,000), Nathan Bracken (US$ 325,000)

Hyderabad Adam Gilchrist (US$ 700,000), Andrew Symonds (US$ 1.35 million), Herschelle Gibbs (US$ 575,000), Shahid Afridi (US$ 675,000), Scott Styris (US$ 175,000), VVS Laxman (US$ 375,000), Rohit Sharma (US$ 750,000), Chamara Silva (US$ 100,000), RP Singh (US$ 875,000), Chaminda Vaas (US$ 200,000), Nuwan Zoysa (US4 110,000)

Mohali Yuvraj Singh (icon), Mahela Jayawardene (US$ 475,000), Kumar Sangakkara (US$ 700,000), Brett Lee (US$ 900,000), Sreesanth (US$ 625,000), Irfan Pathan (US$ 925,000), Ramesh Powar (US$ 170,000), Piyush Chawla (US$ 400,000)

Kolkata Sourav Ganguly (icon), Shoaib Akhtar (US$ 425,000), Ricky Ponting (US$ 400,000), Brendon McCullum (US$ 700,000), Chris Gayle (US$ 800,000), Ajit Agarkar (US$ 330,000), David Hussey (US$ 675,000), Ishant Sharma (US$ 950,000), Murali Kartik (US$ 425,000), Umar Gul (US$ 150,000)

Delhi Virender Sehwag (icon), Daniel Vettori (US$ 625,000), Shoaib Malik (US$ 500,000), Mohammad Asif (US$ 650,000), AB de Villiers (US$ 300,000), Dinesh Karthik (US$ 525,000), Farveez Maharoof (US$ 225,000), Tillakaratne Dilshan (US$ 250,000), Manoj Tiwary (US$ 675,000), Gautam Gambhir (US$ 725,000)

The list of unsold players: Glenn McGrath, Mohammad Yousuf, Tatenda Taibu, Ramnaresh Sarwan, Simon Katich, Justin Langer, Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Ashwell Prince, Loots Bosman, and Mike Hussey

Rezbit

Wow@those unsold players. David Hussey getting a gig over Mike? Holy crap. My picks are Hyderabad and Mohali, very fucking good teams there.

tri_willy

harby over priced
ishant sharma a lil over priced
but then again it is the indian premier league...
liking hyderabad. gilly, symo, gibbs & afridi are
all matchwinners and have the power shots

Top Bottom