• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

wachie

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket...stralia-batting-collapse-20170327-gv7di7.html
a fuming Steve Smith was captured mouthing "f--- cheat"
stay-classy-e1455039381558.png

tri_willy

Always thought that if Australia were to win the series in India that Warner had to have a big one... he flopped so not surprised really...

I wonder how they will now justify Marsh's inclusion after that miserable performance... guess that 50 odd in the 3rd test will keep him alive for another 5 years

It really did expose the Australian batting lineup. Only Smith, Renshaw and Maxi came out looking good. Handscombe and SMarsh made one rearguard action but not much else and Warner wasn't in the game.

At least Cummins came back in and looked instantly the test cricketer he did 5 years ago.

legend166

Disappointing in the end, you don't get many better chances to win a series in India than what we just had. Should have gone 2-0 up after the second test and really were in a winning position in this test match but surprise, another collapse.

But man I'm excited for a Hazlewood, Cummins, Starc pace attack for the first Ashes test. I've wanted to see that line up for ages and hopefully they stay healthy and we finally get it.

hamchan

Weird mixture of being proud the Australian team managed to make it this far and also disappointment that they couldn't win. What a fantastic series to watch and both India and Australia can take away a lot of positive things.

Anyways Smith is a god
Renshaw is our future
Handscombe could be part of our future but needed to do better with the bat. God at fielding though.
Warner sucks outside Australia
Marshes are done (or they should be)
Maxwell deserves more chances,
Wade actually seemed ok with the bat
Hazlewood, Starc and Cummins are all damn good with the ball and I hope they all stay injury free
Lyon and O'Keefe are both pretty good but I think Lyon did better this series

wachie

I don't know if the performance can be something to be proud of. Apart from Smith who seems to be in the same mode Kholi was in few months back, the Australian batting is beyond pathetic. I know there are some positives like Renshaw and to some extent Handscomb but nothing to the extent that they can survive like India did without Kholi showing up in this series. Australia scored a total of 2025 runs across 4 tests and Smith scored 499. This series was close to 1-3 save for that exceptional last day effort by Handscomb and GAF's favorite Marsh. Having won 3 tosses and batted first 3 times and posting big 1st innings totals, having the opponent captain and equivalent star player out of form they failed to convert on many many occasions. For example O'Keefe was suddenly rubbish after the 1st test or Lyon was rubbish in the second innings after taking 8 wickets in the first.

Axe Marsh, Warner & Wade. Bring in more fresh blood like Renshaw and Handscomb.

legend166

I don't know if the performance can be something to be proud of. Apart from Smith who seems to be in the same mode Kholi was in few months back, the Australian batting is beyond pathetic. I know there are some positives like Renshaw and to some extent Handscomb but nothing to the extent that they can survive like India did without Kholi showing up in this series. Australia scored a total of 2025 runs across 4 tests and Smith scored 499. This series was close to 1-3 save for that exceptional last day effort by Handscomb and GAF's favorite Marsh. Having won 3 tosses and batted first 3 times and posting big 1st innings totals, having the opponent captain and equivalent star player out of form they failed to convert on many many occasions. For example O'Keefe was suddenly rubbish after the 1st test or Lyon was rubbish in the second innings after taking 8 wickets in the first.

Axe Marsh, Warner & Wade. Bring in more fresh blood like Renshaw and Handscomb.

I mean, we all know the batsmen other than Smith underperformed. But it could have just as easily been 3-1 Australia. In the second test, Warner gets given out on a somewhat dubious LBW call which means we don't review Marsh being given out incorrectly. We win that and we're up 2-0, retain the trophy and who knows what happens from there.

Our last 3 tours on the subcontinent we went 0-9. I think it's safe to say we improved on this tour.

But you're right to a certain degree. Picking only 5 batsman in that second test killed us. Hopefully next tour you won't see Warner or anyone even remotely related to the Marsh family.

Handscomb and Renshaw will be better for the tour I think. This was their first overseas Test tour and they both continually got starts but couldn't go on with it.

And it's easy to just say "Don't include Smith". He's the best batsman in world cricket since Ponting/Tendulkar/Kallis/Sangakkara hung it up. For awhile it looked like it was going to be a new collection of Kohli/Root/Smith/Williamson but Smith has just gone past the rest of them in a canter. He's averaging 61.05 and scoring hundreds everywhere.

wachie

I mean, we all know the batsmen other than Smith underperformed. But it could have just as easily been 3-1 Australia. In the second test, Warner gets given out on a somewhat dubious LBW call which means we don't review Marsh being given out incorrectly. We win that and we're up 2-0, retain the trophy and who knows what happens from there.
You cant go on hypotheticals if this then that on close calls Even if Warner would have ended up on the better side of that call, dont think he would have lasted much neither do I have the belief that Marsh would have made a difference in that game.. I think Indians had more close calls, especially involving Kholi and other guys, the argument could easily flipped. DRS was available and there really should be no excuse or margin for such arguments. From what little I saw the umpiring through the series was top notch.

Browny

Banned
Holy shitballs.

England are currently 20/6 vs SA in the ODI at Lords.
Just bringing us down to earth after the past few games.

I'm off to see NZ vs Australia this Friday (as a neutral), followed by Eng vs Australia the following Saturday. Anyone else got tickets?

So Stokes is semi-fit and probably won't bowl many overs.
Plunkett has gone off, presumably injured.
Woakes has gone off, presumably injured.
Rashid has not been picked.

Have we got to bowl more than forty overs with only Root, Ball, Wood and Ali?

Weird.

Plunkers is/was OK but Woakes is knacked.

If you'd told me two years ago that Chris Woakes would become the sort of player you worry about being without I'd have laughed my head off. And yet here I am.

Jake Ball is not good enough.

kmag

Bangladesh really needed 20 or 30 more runs. It would be a decent game if they had that. As it is at just over 300, England are looking like they'll canter to the total. The oval is a decent ground to score on.

They're comfortably keeping touch with the rate after 12 overs for the loss of one wicket. The pitch is as flat as a pancake, and Bangladesh's bowlers while reasonably accurate don't look threatening.

Browny

Banned
In the crowd for NZ Aus. Looking forward to a Guptill masterclass
and no rain plzthnkyu.

Edit: the curse of Browny strikes.

wachie

In the crowd for NZ Aus. Looking forward to a Guptill masterclass
and no rain plzthnkyu.

Edit: the curse of Browny strikes.
Fuck you.

Australia got saved from humiliation. Black Caps were dominating. Another masterclass from my boy Williamson <3

Browny

Banned
Fuck you.

Australia got saved from humiliation. Black Caps were dominating. Another masterclass from my boy Williamson <3
Ha ha. In my defense I was there as a neutral, was looking forward to a possibly interesting chase - but it was not a good start by the Aussies. NZ looked very good until the collapse, which was baaaaaad.

And everything I mentioned in my post came true (rain etc) so no more mentions of the weather for me.

wachie

Ha ha. In my defense I was there as a neutral, was looking forward to a possibly interesting chase - but it was not a good start by the Aussies. NZ looked very good until the collapse, which was baaaaaad.

And everything I mentioned in my post came true (rain etc) so no more mentions of the weather for me.
We cool man.

Please don't mention rain anymore. :)

Amandeep

Has there been a match that hasn't been stopped due to rain lol was really looking forward to Pakistan vs India
:(

Edit:
Brilliant last few overs from kohli, yuvraj, pandya, this rain better not still be here after the break

sad to see the current bunch of pakistani players and the team. there wasnt one moment in their innings when they even TRIED to chase the total. hate to say it but even bangladesh looks to be a better odi side compared to them.

Browny

Banned
Great performance in the field today. Pleasantly surprised by Ball, and Plunkett is becoming our most consistent bowler. Still a question over Roy, but he'll get another chance against the Aussies on Saturday.

Browny

Banned
Finch looking in good nick this morning. The track is supposed to be an absolute road, and despite the cloud cover it looks to be pretty comfortable. Rain forecast for late afternoon so will get very interesting (for a dead rubber lol).

More beer required.

Dynedom

Similar to what's been going on in the CT, Afghanistan beat WI in St Lucia.

Then again, that depends on your opinion of the Windies.

hamchan

Great start from Australia's bowlers.

Covers on again though. Been a pretty miserable tourney with this weather. If Australia finish without even finishing a proper game then that's a joke.

Dynedom

Is this kind of weather typical for this time of the year?

If yes: how can you possibly consider hosting a major ICC event at this time?

Top Bottom