• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

Grug

Since the pretense of the last thread no longer exists and has devolved into Irfan's scatological flag fantasies, I think its time we started a new cricket thread for cricket lovers instead of trolls.

Naturally certain trolling elements are destined to try and derail this thread, so I think its best we start of with the official thread theme song.

To stop those Irfans 1-2-3
Here's a fresh new way that's trouble free
It's got Paul Anka's guarantee
Guarantee void in Tennessee

JUST DON'T LOOK!
JUST DON'T LOOK!

Quite simply, with those people who are not interested in facts, reason or maintain a healthy sense of perspective (and we all know who we are talking about)... if you ignore them, they'll eventually go away and learn more about the game so they can actually contribute to the discussion instead of grinding some racist axe.

But in the mean time, if they make any attempt to derail the thread...

JUST DON'T LOOK!

So yeah, welcome to the new cricket thread.

Grug

cricketnv2.jpg

Current ODI Points table.

Upcoming Games

February 19th - India Vs Sri Lanka (Adelaide Oval)

February 22nd - Australia vs Sri Lanka (Melbourne Cricket Ground)

February 24th - Australia vs India (Sydney Cricket Ground)

February 26th - India vs Sri Lanka (Hobart)

February 29th - Australia vs Sri Lanka (Melbourne Cricket Ground)

So is this thread just for this series or kind of an official cricket thread ?

I think it will be a Australia vs Sri Lanka final, they just need someone to support Sangakarra

Dead Man

sleeping_dragon said:
i think is safe to say that Australia is in the final.

Mathematically they can still fail to make it...

Yeah they're in. Watch them fail now just so Karma can spite me :lol

master15

It will be refreshing to have a thread actually talking about the cricket for once :D

I was watching this old cricket documentary today and was pretty shocked to learn Brett Lee broke his back at the age of 20! Yikes has he bounced back well from a potentially career-ending injury.

Anyway look forward to tommorow's game. Looking at the schedule it's going to be crucial for both teams to come away with a result.

artist

Banned
Typical Australians, run away when you get owned/cornered.

Looking forward to today's game.

edit: Gilchrist is expected to play in Friday's game. :)

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
irfan said:

Jesus STFU already, you havnt owned anyone, typical Australians, you dont know shit about Australia, your damn country of millions upon millions was over run by a couple of poms on a roudy weekend.

Good to see Gilchrist playing, todays game should be interesting, can Sri Lanka pull something out without the aid of the weather, we shall see.

cyclone87

irfan said:

Unless you intend talking about only the cricket then go away.

Channel 9 isn't airing todays game in my area, is anyone else getting it?

master15

cyclone87 said:
Channel 9 isn't airing todays game in my area, is anyone else getting it?

Sky New Zealand thankfully is showing the game so I'm all set here. Is Dhoni out? It will be interesting to see if India go for the 5 bowlers or try bolstering their batting after Sunday's woeful display.

I really think Sri Lanka haven't been close to firing through the whole of the series. They key for them in my opinion, despite obvious batting problems is for Vass & Mulli to get in the game and actually take some wickets.

Should hopefully be a good contest.

Pachael

Yeah, it'll be a good game today. Looking forward to going Friday!

Change is imminent, we're all doomed thanks to Indian powar!!

cashman

Banned
irfan said:
\
Stop, you're not pwning anyone, you're just making yourself look bad.

Awesome, I will be keeping up with this thread to see how India is doing.

legend166

The game is on Fox Sports 3, I'm watching it now.

Bad start by Sri Lanka. Sangakarra and Jayawardene need to score a century each.

master15

A pretty awful start by Sri Lanka with two early losses (Jayasuriya wicket being run-out on the non-strikers end particulary shoddy work) but you get the feeling if the rest of the team can rally around Sangakkara they might have a chance of posting a decent total.

Kumar looks pretty good from what little I've seen of him. By the way anyone have a quiet giggle when bloody Brendon Julian joined the Channel 9 team for the game? :lol

artist

Banned
cashman said:
Stop, you're not pwning anyone, you're just making yourself look bad.
Go back to the old thread and see how I owned Sheila, owned her HARD .. :lol

Back to the game, SL heeding Jayawardene's words about not throwing wickets away. They've started to life their RR in the last few overs too, imo they're in a better position now.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
The french team is the best team!

Do the french have a team?

Okay, now that my apparently typical arrogance is out of the way, can someone link me to a "cricket for dummies" video? I've tried reading about it and it gets more and more hopeless every time. I managed to learn rugby through watching it but I've tried to watch cricket and I have no idea in the world what's going on. But I want to learn.

artist

Banned
QVT said:

Okay, now that my apparently typical arrogance is out of the way, can someone link me to a "cricket for dummies" video? I've tried reading about it and it gets more and more hopeless every time. I managed to learn rugby through watching it but I've tried to watch cricket and I have no idea in the world what's going on. But I want to learn.
Here you go: http://www.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ABOUT_CRICKET/EXPLANATION/CRICKET_EXPLAINED_AMERICAN.html

You can try other sources like wiki etc. Best of luck! :)

Grug

QVT said:

There is a game called "French cricket" but its lame.

Only good for tiny backyards.

Couldn't find a video explaining the game, but you should check out the awesomeness of Australian Rules Football in the meantime. :D

Grug

Jayawardene has steadied the ship.

Plenty of wickets to work with in the last 20 overs.

230-260 looks possible.

Ouch, wicket off a no-ball. Those hurt.

Grug

Its not often you see those straight drive deflected off the bowlers hand runouts, let alone two of them in consecutive wickets.

Amazing.

India needed that badly.

Sri Lanka 3/161, 12 overs remaining.

Grug

Geez, Sangakkara has seen his last 3 batting partners run out in silly circumstances. Great fielding.

4/161

Grug

What an entertaining innings by Sangakkara. Poor bugger was dead on his feet by the end of it.

The Indian bowlers will be horrified that it took until the end of the 49th over for them to get their second wicket, (not including the runouts obviously).

238 is a decent total by Sri Lanka, we're set for an entertaining run chase.

cyclone87

So, irfan has been banned :lol

Not a bad score for Sri Lanka considering their slow start, if they can take some early wickets they'll be a in a good spot to win, just look how India crumbled when Australia took the early wickets.

Grug

HOLY SHIT!

Did you see that peach of a delivery by Malinga that got Tendular for a duck.

Ball of the summer! The perfect outswinger.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
So my reponces to reading the Cricket explained thing:

holy fuck 8-10 hours a day for five days straight you people are mad!

:lol you can hit behind you? what the hell

so that's what a wicket is.

k, question. when a player hits a fly ball and he is "out" is that the same thing as having his wicket taken?

:lol at the concept of drawing. what a strange lot. no wonder I couldn't figure this shit out by watching, how could i be expected to? have to declare your innings over :lol

has anyone ever forgotten to ask if somebody was out and cost their SIDE the match?

that's about it, i know much more now.

are cricket players taking steroids like baseball players? is it legal and they just look the other way or do they test really hard?

also, i think i understand what the big deal about taking all ten wickets in an innings is, but i kinda don't. doesn't every innings(or at least most of them) have to have ten wickets taken in it? was the big deal that it was the same guy who did it? that doesn't seem that impressive?

Grug

That is a test match. There are also one day matches and Twenty20 matches which last about 4 hours.

Why is this strange? You are looking at this with a baseball perspective me thinks.

k, question. when a player hits a fly ball and he is "out" is that the same thing as having his wicket taken?

Yes. There are several ways a player can be out/lose his 'wicket'. These include getting bowled (ball goes through batsmen and hits the stumps stumps), LBW (leg before wicket... ball hits batsman's leg directly in front of the wicket), caught out (what you call a fly ball), runout (stumps knocked down while batsmen are running between wickets) etc..

:lol at the concept of drawing. what a strange lot. no wonder I couldn't figure this shit out by watching, how could i be expected to? have to declare your innings over :lol

Draws only happen in Test Matches. The 5 day limit is one of the most intriguing parts of the game. The idea of a declaration is that a batting side which has amassed a large score needs to ensure they leave enough time left to bowl out the other side. Once you have got to a decent total, a declaration makes sense, especially if time is running short or bad weather is on the way. Its subtleties like this that make cricket so incredibly fascinating.

has anyone ever forgotten to ask if somebody was out and cost their SIDE the match?
This would rarely, if ever happen at a professional level.

are cricket players taking steroids like baseball players? is it legal and they just look the other way or do they test really hard?

Drug testing is strict. Players have been suspended for taking diet pills, let alone steroids.

also, i think i understand what the big deal about taking all ten wickets in an innings is, but i kinda don't. doesn't every innings(or at least most of them) have to have ten wickets taken in it? was the big deal that it was the same guy who did it? that doesn't seem that impressive?

In test match's an innings is over when a side loses all ten wickets or they declare. In One Day/Twenty20 cricket an innings is over when a side has lost all ten wickets or their 50/20 overs respectively are up. I'm not sure what you mean by it being a "big deal".

Its good that you re taking an interest in the game, but laughing at aspects of it is a bit silly. I'm sure many cricket playing nations would find aspects of baseball and American football silly when viewed through their own cultural lens.

Dead Man

QVT said:
So my reponces to reading the Cricket explained thing:

Probably

Say after me: 'This is in no way related to baseball' (well, not unless you go back hundreds of years)

Yes. Same when you are bowled or LBW. When you are out, that is losing your wicket, or having it taken. There are a lot of interchangeable or only very slightly different terms in cricket.

Some one probably has, since technically you have to appeal for someone to be given out.

Shane Warne from Australia was recently done for using a 'banned substance' but it was not steroids, it was some 'medicine'. It may be used, but it doesn't seem to be very common.

When it is the same person taking multiple wickets it is impressive. There are usually 4-6 bowlers used in a match, and for most dismissals the credit goes to the bowler, then the catcher if it is a catch. So for someone to get all ten wickets in an innings is massive, and never happens. Notice there are 11 team members, but a batsman cannot be in by himself so taking 10 wickets is the end of the innings.

Edit: Beaten!!

Dead Man

Gah... stuck with no coverage, keep up the commentary guys! Stuck at work and I can't find an unblocked site with a live score.

master15

How sad Ifran got banned, you could see that coming from a mile away. Guess 'Sheila' got him in the end :lol

Sri Lanka are letting the game slip. With Yuvraj finding his feet supported by Dhoni Sri Lanka need wickets ASAP if they stand a chance. As we saw with Sunday's game one key wicket can change the whole contest but at the moment they look solid.

master15

Grug said:
Vaas gets Yuvraj Singh with a clever yorker.

Sri Lanka back in with a chance.

What a big wicket, just as India looked like they were coasting. I will say very much like Sunday if Dhoni stays India wins. It's simple as that.

Sri Lanka needs a another quick wicket or two and we might see India wobble again. Next couple of overs will be key. What a great yorker by Vaas!

master15

Tonche said:
Forgot Pathan was in, he can bat as well, things still looking ok for India.

Yup he's a classy cricket with a good, calm head. Thus if Sri Lanka can't pick up another wicket or two they will be pretty much out. Not to mention they are having issues with their 'fifth bowler'.

Top Bottom