• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new anime licenses thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

Media Blasters
Urda
Rtitle.jpg
image_urda01.gif

Anime Crash
Shiden
No images of this yet -- first unveiling is in 2 weeks

4Kids
F-Zero Falcon Legend
f-zero-anime.jpg
033322.jpg

Tokyo Mew Mew
amada02.jpg
tokyomewmew-review1.jpg

FUNimation
Gunslinger Girl
gunslinger.jpg
title_main.jpg

ADV
Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch
mm_03.jpg
mm_01.jpg

E'S Otherwise
es.jpg
esotherwise.jpg

Sakigake!! Cromartie High School (YES!!)
cromartie_08.jpg
cromartie3.jpg
cromartie.JPG

Bandai
Dear Boys
boys_anime_news01.gif
dearboys3.jpg
img1050558405.jpeg

Overman King Gainer
scene2.jpg
overman_king_gainer.jpg

The only one that excites me is Cromartie High School (and shocks me for that matter) which is absolutely funny as hell. Hopefully the F-Zero anime will help sales of the games in the US if nothing else.

FnordChan

poster.jpg

Cromartie is truth and beauty. Think Azumanga, but with punks instead of girls and with a deeply non-sequiter vibe to the whole thing. I'm also enthused about King Gainer, which is terrific fun and has one of the best opening sequences ever.

overmantomino.gif

Everybody! Do the monkey with me!

FnordChan

Meier

You should care about Cromartie DS! Not sure about the manga sp0rks.. hadn't heard anythign that would lead me to believe that. I just used one of the book covers as an image since google wasnt helping me find much.

Dead

well not really...yet
Well, if thats indeed Freddy Mercury in that one pic, I suppose I could check it out :0

fbcamp

Banned
Cromartie has to be the lamest pieces of crap I've seen in anime. I watched it during my winter break and didn’t find it the least bit funny. Upon returning to my campus after vacation, I ended up having a Japanese roommate who watched this crap over and over again. He had tons of his lady friends come over to watch it almost every night. They would just sit around for hours just laughing over and over again at jokes that are the comic equivalent of used toilet paper.

So I decided to watch the show a little more to see what was so great about it and almost had an aneurism analyzing it. Though I did have a good laugh with that episode where the guy with the afro ends up in the same situation has me. :)

Anyway as for the rest of the anime, what’s the deal with publishers now a days? They’re licensing just about everything that comes out of Japan, nothings sacred anymore. The market is going to be flooded and I foresee many of these companies going under since they decided to distribute countless versions of generic anime x, which no one even in Japan gives a damn out.

Btw- has monster been licensed? Whats up with Anime-Keep cutting off right at the climax?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
fbcamp said:
Btw- has monster been licensed? Whats up with Anime-Keep cutting off right at the climax?
No, it hasn't been licensed.

Climax? Monster is supposed to go 70-something episodes. It's not even remotely near reaching any kind of climax. Either way, I think they're still doing it, and Soldats say that they are still doing it too, but it's been almost a month since Soldats' version of episode 5. :(

fbcamp

Banned
MetatronM said:
No, it hasn't been licensed.

Climax? Monster is supposed to go 70-something episodes. It's not even remotely near reaching any kind of climax. Either way, I think they're still doing it, and Soldats say that they are still doing it too, but it's been almost a month since Soldats' version of episode 5. :(

Jesus 70 episodes?! How in the world can they stretch the series out to 70 episodes?! I thought it looked more like a 24-26 episode show to me.

Oh well I guess I'll never be able to finishing watching this show. :(

Meier

Oh they can and they will. Monster contains THE best story-telling I've ever encountered in anime or manga and that's a helluva lot. I can't wait for a 20th Century Boys (the author's current series) anime some day down the line because it's damn near close to being as good as Monster.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
fbcamp said:
Jesus 70 episodes?! How in the world can they stretch the series out to 70 episodes?! I thought it looked more like a 24-26 episode show to me.

Oh well I guess I'll never be able to finishing watching this show. :(
"Madhouse is working on a new mystery series called Monster. Directed by Masayuki Kojima, Monster will premiere on Nihon TV (NTV) in April and will run for a year and a half"

Yeah, I was pretty surprised too. I was expecting 13-26 episodes when it first started.

It is one amazingly well-written show, though, so they've got me for the whole ride, provided the fansubbers get their collective acts together.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Tokyo Mew Mew was announced months ago. Only thing this weekend was they changed their minds about calling it Hollywood mew mew.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
No, they had put it out a release with the title of Hollywood Mew Mew, and some pipe-dream about the show appealing to young boys.

I think the announcement of the name not changing was made to go along witht eh uncut Yugioh and Shawman king announcement as a way of saying they're trying to get uncut Mew Mew.

Dead

well not really...yet
They tried to make Cardcaptor sakura seem like it was aimed for boys.

yeah that worked....

Friend

I'm wondering if I should just read Monster now. It would probably ruin the experience of watching the show though :/.

oh and 20th century boys does rock by the way
<===

Shouta

I still don't understand how Dear Boys got licensed before ANY other sports anime out there. Oof. Bandai must be looking to make a quick buck.

Two things:

Monster is 18 manga volumes, so 70 eps is more or less what to expect. As much as I enjoyed the manga, though, I'd really like to see the anime through.

Overman King Gainer owns. Sure, the OP is silliness of which even Tomino seemed unlikely to provide, but the rest of the show is solid gold. Similar to Kenran Butoh Sai, I guess, but better in several ways.

Yay Cromartie high school!

Oh, and +1 Friend, great new name and avatar. 20th Century Boys is the BEST SHIT EVER! When it finally becomes an anime in 2007 and comes to the U.S. in 2009, I will be laughing at all the people who are like "OMG 20TH CENTURY BOYS IS SO GOOD" and it's like "welcome to five years ago!!"

lordmrw

I've never heard of i before, but Urda looks slick as hell. I'm looking forward to it. I've only watched the first 2 episodes of E's Otherwise, but i like what i saw. Kind of surprised it got licensed as next to no one ever mentions it.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Cold Shadow said:
pheewww, no naruto... yet

i cant wait till naruto is liscensed. When they do liscense it hope they turn them all into samurai and rename the show SAMURAI GUYS!! EXTREME BLADE

Meier

4Kids
One Piece
one%20piece.jpg
img1052721692.jpeg

This one really hurts. I've been a huge fan of OP for a few years now and finally got people at GAF to watch it after much pushing and now it gets picked up by motherfucking 4Kids. Anyone other than them and I wouldn't have cared. I am sure FUNi will eventually release it uncut on DVD but now it has NO CHANCE at ever doing well with older kids because no teenager is going to watch Fox Box. One Piece had a good shot at being that show that crossed all demographics like Dragon Ball Z -- and now that chance is ruined.

Geneon
Daphne in the Brilliant Blue
007_Dop_0193.jpg
A3250-5.thumbnail.90.jpg
daphne19-1.jpg

Another shitty show that Geneon picks up only due to heavy fanservice. Laaaame.

Old titles re-iterated by Geneon

Hanaukyo Maid Tai La Verite
verite09-2.jpg
verite09-1.jpg
verite08-1.jpg

Maids = fanservice. I watched the original series and it was enjoyable enough but was a remake really necessary?

Tenjo Tenge
tenten10-2.jpg
tenten10-1.jpg
tenten09-2.jpg
tenten08-3.jpg

Heavily, heavily watered down version of the enjoyable diversion that was the manga.

Samurai Champloo
champloo02-5.jpg
gallery06.jpg
poster.jpg

We all know it rocks.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Meier said:
4Kids
One Piece
one%20piece.jpg
img1052721692.jpeg

This one really hurts. I've been a huge fan of OP for a few years now and finally got people at GAF to watch it after much pushing and now it gets picked up by motherfucking 4Kids. Anyone other than them and I wouldn't have cared. I am sure FUNi will eventually release it uncut on DVD but now it has NO CHANCE at ever doing well with older kids because no teenager is going to watch Fox Box. One Piece had a good shot at being that show that crossed all demographics like Dragon Ball Z -- and now that chance is ruined.
Honestly, this ruined my week. Day before I fly off to Japan and One Piece gets shat on. And I JUST caught up too. If Kaizoku doesn't keep subbing the show, then there is a very good chance I've seen my last episode of One Piece. :(

Fortunately, I am pretty sure K-F is going to continue subbing.

At least, I hope.

And with that, I'm done for a while. I have no idea what kind of internet access I'm gonna have for the next 6 weeks or so, so I may be on a lot or not at all. Regardless, try and hold the fort while I'm gone.

Adios.

Meier

K-F subbed the show while everyone thought it was licensed by FUNimation (for over a year), so I dont expect them to stop. There just wont be torrents linked to on Animesuki or anything like that.

bjork

The One Piece thing is really terrible, but Gunslinger Girl too? I'm assuming that this is straight to dvd, no?

Day before I fly off to Japan and One Piece gets shat on.

Today shall be known as the day the Ero-camel cried.

I was waiting for someone to pick it up too, so I could actually own it on DVD. Anyone but 4kids that is...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom