• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new, best Telltale Game doesn't come from Telltale

SilentRob

Silence.
That's what the game is called. Please talk as much as you want ;)

A few of you will probably know of german game developer Daedalic. They were responsible for many of recent years' point&click-adventures, among them the Deponia series. They are a big deal in Germany because, as you all know from Tim Schafer, we are the only people on earth who actually buy these things and it seemed like they were slowly but steadily able to build an international audience, too.

A few years ago they released "The Whispered World", a point & click adventure as old-school as they come. It was about a sad clown called Sadwick who was destined to destroy the world and managed to mix comedy, beauty and melancholy in a way I have seldom seen in video games. I like it a lot. However, I heard mixed things about the english voice overs.

On November 15 they'll release the unofficial sequel called "Silence" - when it was first accounced it was actually called "Silence: The Whispered World 2". I played and talked about it in my german show and podcast but figured I'd have to talk about it here, too, because many of you would probably never even notice its existence. It's an amazing game. Daedalic mixed their classical approach to point & click adventures with the more story-focused approach of Telltale Games. That means it's a very easy game, there is no inventory and very few chances of actually getting stuck. However, you still have to solve puzzles - only that your character now always uses the relevant items automatically and all the clutter from classic point & click adventures have been removed. I'm terible at classic Point & Click puzzles and am pretty confident that it's almost impossible to get stuck. If you like the style Telltale are going for but wish for a little bit gameplay and better production values, this is exactly what that is.

The true highlights, though, are the story and presentation. This game looks incredible.

yNMAI5K.jpg

8fP4f1u.jpg

BEks9t4.jpg

Adding to that are the great animations. Contrary to every Telltale Game I have ever played, the characters' animations are extremely well done with a huge focus on detail. The pure production values here really, really surprised me. It looks even better in motion, so you should probably watch this trailer. If you want to see a little bit more, here we played the first hour of the game - it's in german, however.

And then there is the story. It's a bonus if you played the first game - but if you didn't there is a short summary included in the beginning of the game, since the events of Whispered World 1 are actually a kind of bed time story in Silence. It's a great, natural way to connect these two games without making it necessary to play the first one but giving fans quite a bit of fanservice nontheless. If you want to know the setup for this game, I have to spoil Whispered World for you, so I'll put it in Spoiler Tags, just to be sure:

Sadwick the Clown was actually a dream-version of a kid lying in a coma between life and death. Silence, the world Sadwick lived in and was destined to destroy, is kind of a place between life and death with Sadwick being the avatar of the Kid in the hospital bed. At the end of the game you have to decide, if you want to leave and destroy Silence, thus deciding against death and waking up from the coma, or to return as Sadwick to Silence, thus dying in the real world. The canon ending is Sadwick destroying his world, with the kid waking up. That kid is the new main character, Noah, who is now in the middle of a war. While he is outside with this sister, bombers arrive and both Noah and his sister end up in Silence again...fully aware of what this means.

It's a tragic, beautiful, funny, melancholic story with very few characters that will only take up about 5 to 6 hours of your time. I ended up playing through the game in one go since it was such a well told tale.

So if you are at all interested in great stories and Telltale-like Games: Try it! There's a demo on Steam. It's great. Yay!
Silence-PAX-West-16-gif-Gaming-Cypher.gif

Edit: It's not only out on Steam but also on PS4 & Xbox One! Also of note: It's a Play Anywhere title on Xbox One & Windows 10!

Jazzem

Thanks for the heads up, downloaded the demo to play later :) Interesting that point & clicks are so popular in Germany.

Budi

I wouldn't call this a Telltale like game though, from what I see. There are even no dialogue choices? And as you even say yourself, it's very old school. Telltale has abandoned many aspects that made point & clicks what they are. But still, seems like a nice and fun game. Thanks for bringing it on my radar.

Edit: Really couldn't get into Deponia, even though i'm a big fan of old Lucas Arts games. But I appreciate what Daedalic are doing and been intending to give them another chance at some point.

SilentRob

I wouldn't call this a Telltale like game though, from what I see. There are even no dialogue choices? And as you even say yourself, it's very old school. Telltale has abandoned many aspects that made point & clicks what they are. But still, seems like a nice and fun game. Thanks for bringing it on my radar.

No, it's not old school at all. That was The Whispered World :) It's a more Telltale than Point & Click.

Had to really look for the title of this game in your post. Maybe put it in the title or right at the start in bold?

Really good point, added.

How is the German vs English VA ?

I don't care much for the german VO of the girl, but i don't care much for the english VO of the boy. None of them are terrible, but I didn't like them as much as the rest of the VO. It's definitelya step up from past Daedalic efforts.

Budi

PnC games have had dialogue choices for years though don't they?

Yes they have, I thought this didn't but it was the earlier game Whispeder World that I watched some gameplay of. And Telltale does dialogue choices quite differently than traditional point & clicks. Since you are actually making a choice what you say, in most point & clicks (that I've played, mostly Lucas Arts) you are usually able to go through every dialogue bit. And the choices may have some consequences in post Walking Dead Telltale games.

No, it's not old school at all. That was The Whispered World :) It's a more Telltale than Point & Click.

Yeah my bad, I was confused what game this thread is about and watched gameplay for the wrong game. :p

You know that not all Telltale games are like The Walking Dead, and they have made more traditional Adventure games before, right? Like Sam & Max and Strong Bad.

SilentRob

Had to really look for the title of this game in your post. Maybe put it in the title or right at the start in bold?

You know that not all Telltale games are like The Walking Dead, and they have made more traditional Adventure games before, right? Like Sam & Max and Strong Bad.

Sure! But Sam & Max S3 was released 6 years ago and since then they have focused on this type of game. It's probably safe to say that they are most known for games like Walking Dead, Game of Thrones or Batman. I think everyone knows what I'm talking about when I talk about "Telltale Game" as its own genre and I have heard the creator of Silence use it himself in at least one interview :)

Budi

And Monkey Island! Which wasn't as good as the 3 first games, but liked it a lot more than the fourth one. That is probably my all time biggest game disappointment.

Kinyou

Thanks for the heads up, downloaded the demo to play later :) Interesting that point & clicks are so popular in Germany.
As Tim Schaefer said: "But these days it seems like adventure games are almost a bit of a lost art form... they exist in our dreams, in our memories and in ... Germany."

KHlover

Banned
Still waiting for a Daedalic Gravity Falls game :(

It's something that won't ever happen and never had any chance to, but I feel they'd nail it.

OT: Wasn't aware there was a demo on steam, I'll need to go check it out.

Naeval

The best 2 chapters of a Telltale Game that doesn't comes from Telltale are from Blues And Bullets. I think Silence has its own way of doing things.

Boem

The best 2 chapters of a Telltale Game that doesn't comes from Telltale are from Blues And Bullets. I think Silence has its own way of doing things.

That developer is bankrupt/has disappeared from the face of the map and isn't finishing the game though. They're also still selling season passes even though they're never going to release the rest of the episodes, so eh. Can't really recommend a game made by a company with those kind of scams.

The new King's Quest (although I only played the first two episodes) is actually what I was hoping Telltale would evolve into during their more traditional adventure days. Still a traditional adventure game, but streamlined, a much bigger world to explore compared to Telltale, and even a sort of choice mechanic (which is interesting because puzzles have multiple solutions, and the solution you go for changes the story, as opposed to just having dialogue change the story). It's funny, because I wasn't a Sierra fan growing up (I was a Lucas kid), but King's Quest takes what Telltale was doing, adds some modern Telltale in there and adds some bits of the old adventure games that Telltale never really ended up doing. I liked it a lot. I think it didn't sell too well which is a shame, because I would love to see their take on other Sierra classics.

Adventure games, job simulators.... what kind of water are they drinking in germany??
Criminy, when the whole adventure genre was barely without a pulse (much of the 00's, lets say), Germany and France, but mostly Germany were still pumping them out at a healthy rate. Thank goodness for regional tastes I suppose.

wouwie

I've been looking forward to this game since it was announced, which was quite a long time ago. It is Daedalic's first game that launches simultaneously on pc and consoles, which is nice for me as a console player. I think i'll pick it up, depending on reviews, on PS4.

I played The Whispered World when it was released (i still have a boxed version) but for some reason, i never finished it. Maybe that's why, after playing the demo of Silence, i have no clue what the story is about and how the two games are tied together.

Judging by some early german reviews, it seems to be strong on presentation and story on the positive side. On the negative side, the game seems quite short and it seems to have long loading times. Also, it's very much a cinematic experience with light gameplay elements and not a traditional point & click with inventory and tricky puzzles. I don't mind but the more traditional adventure game players might find that an issue.

To be honest, so far i've never been blown away by any Daedalic adventure game or any adventure game coming out of Germany, though there have been a few solid ones. So i've got my expectations in check with Silence. I hope they manage to offer a good story with interesting characters above all, especially since it's aimed more as a cinematic experience.

Weird title - I thought you meant it was being published by Telltale or something. Looks beautiful though and I love the design and art style of the world.

GavinUK86

Played about an hour, uploading the first half hour as we speak, and it is utterly mesmerizing. The art is just so beautiful. The gameplay is a perfect blend of Telltale's style with the classic point & click. The voices aren't bad, but they're not great. It was the same with the first game. They're good enough, but the game just oozes charm.

Thanks for the heads-up. Just realized I have The Whispered World sitting unplayed in my Steam library so I might do a play through of that next. Silence looks terrific, I'll probably grab that one on PS4/X1.

GavinUK86

Do I need to play the first game to enjoy this?

Not really. There's a short gloss over at the beginning of this one. It's an interesting take on how a sequel can connect to a previous game.

But, I would recommend checking out the first if you haven't. It's a pretty fun game.

Dalibor68

Banned
Definitely keeping my eye on this. I do love the atmosphere of these german adventures, what always pissed me off were some of these extremely weird and unrealistic solutions (like search every pixel for this glass shard which you can then combine with the rope you found 3 levels earlier and then use it on this tiny pixel but only after you've talked to this person first).

GavinUK86

Definitely keeping my eye on this. I do love the atmosphere of these german adventures, what always pissed me off were some of these extremely weird and unrealistic solutions (like search every pixel for this glass shard which you can then combine with the rope you found 3 levels earlier and then use it on this tiny pixel but only after you've talked to this person first).

The new gameplay style of this one completely eliminates that frustration. I feel the same about some older point & click games.

xrnzaaas

That developer is bankrupt/has disappeared from the face of the map and isn't finishing the game though. They're also still selling season passes even though they're never going to release the rest of the episodes, so eh. Can't really recommend a game made by a company with those kind of scams.

Any confirmed news on that or is it still rumors and speculation? Imo they just set the bar too high and eps 1 & 2 probably didn't sell that good even after porting them to both consoles. Honestly I think it's a surprise that pretty much no episodic games are getting cancelled, even the shitty ones like Republique. It's a huge bet and you still have to deliver if the first episodes underperform saleswise.

Mawnster

I've been waiting for this game to get released ever since I saw the trailer 2 years ago. It was called The Whispered World 2 back then.

However, it makes me sad to see that once again they have oversimplified a game that didn't need to be simplified. Sure, some of the puzzles in the first game were a pain in the ass, but it wasn't anything too complicated that made you want to quit the game. The problem is that people have no patience nowadays. If they spend at least 5 minutes trying to solve something, they google up a walk-through.

Don't get me wrong, I love Telltale and I've played plenty of their games. The simplicity and cleanliness of their games makes the whole experience comfortable. It's just that sometimes I prefer a good old fashioned adventure game.

I guess I'm just a bit concerned for this dying genre.

GavinUK86

I've been waiting for this game to get released ever since I saw the trailer 2 years ago. It was called The Whispered World 2 back then.

However, it makes me sad to see that once again they have oversimplified a game that didn't need to be simplified. Sure, some of the puzzles in the first games were a pain in the ass, but it wasn't anything too complicated that made you want to quit the game. The problem is that people have no patience nowadays. If they spend at least 5 minutes trying to solve something, they google up a walk-through.

Don't get me wrong, I love Telltale and I've played plenty of their games. The simplicity and cleanliness of their games makes the whole experience comfortable. It's just that sometimes I prefer a good old fashioned adventure game.

I guess I'm just a bit concerned for this dying genre.

Wadjet Eye still deliver on that front.

El-Suave

Let's not call this a Telltale game, it's like saying Dark Souls is a Namco game. The developer is big enough to be fully recognized.

i've yet to play this one, while i enjoyed the first whispered world..
on a side note, as others have pointed out, point&click at its finest is still strong with wadjet..
I've throughly enjoyed the blackwell serie (though admittedly the early installments where a bit too simplicistic and small in scope), as well as gemini rue and shardlight :)

flkraven

Holy shit this game looks awesome. I see it comes out on the 18th on Xbox One. Any word on the price? I looked around but some sites are blocked at work so I don't know if it's listed somewhere.

Top Bottom