• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new Chromecast with Google TV won’t officially support Stadia at launch | The Verge

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Google’s new $50 Chromecast with Google TV will support a lot of the streaming services most people would want, although Apple TV Plus appears to be a notable holdout. Those sorts of gaps are fairly normal for a new platform, but the new Chromecast does have one very strange omission: Google’s own game streaming service, Stadia. At launch, the new Chromecast with Google TV won’t support it. Google says support will come sometime in the first half of 2021.

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
Stadia is just an absolute mess, it’s as if Google thought they could just slap their name on it and it would sell out with zero marketing and zero communication with the community.

Other than the same 500-1000 people on their subreddit, I’ve never once heard anyone talk about Stadia outside of that bubble.

Yeah, this thing is dead.

Streaming is always going to be a hard sell, but it's like they didn't even try.

Worse image quality, worse gameplay, less reliable and zero real ownership are all impossible to avoid negatives compared to normal gaming, so all they can offer is dirt cheap prices, which Stadia failed miserably to provide.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I've just been playing Stadia via the Android app on my Nvidia Shield TV just. The updated version of the Stadia (released yesterday) is almost flawless on big screen mode now, so it will likely be days away from official release.

Edit: Just said they are saying early 2021., seems very strange as it is working great.

Last edited:
Actually, I am very surprised that the new Chromecast with Google TV will not officially support Stadia at launch | The Verge. When I talked to my friends about this topic, they said that it was very bad and would have negative consequences, and I agree with them. They know about all the new products related to TVs, and I was very surprised when my question "Can you record on a smart TV ?" they said no. This is the most useful feature of television that I have ever known. When I don't have enough time to watch my favorite show or movie, I record it on a USB stick and watch it later when I'm free. In addition to being a useful and necessary feature, it is also profitable, so I recommended it to my friends.

Top Bottom