• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new Guitar Hero has a new form of Microtransactions

Some more clarification:

GHTV is free.
You never have to pay a dime if you don't want to.
You can, forever, just play whatever the service has on at the time. There will, presumably outside of the Avenged Sevenfold preorder bonus, never be a time where you cannot play a song.
If you want to pick a song to play, you either:
- Spend a token you have earned playing GHTV
- Spend real life money to acquire a token to pick a song.
You get tokens by:
- Playing the game, and you get more every day
- Playing a song
- Being better than other players at a song

What's the problem here? You're never locked out of GHTV. You're never forced to pay for anything. It's literally no worse than Spotify, Groove, Pandora, Apple Music. The game isn't based around a traditional DLC model anymore, it's based on music discovery services.

From day one you have over 250 songs to play, just for the entry cost of the game. I think there's some misconception over having to pay to play, when that is never the case.

The problem is that there are only 42 songs on disc. And most of them are shit. I don't want to earn ingame currency to play other songs. And I'm definitely not paying real money to unlock songs for only 24 hours, lol.

Cheddahz

Banned
I mean, can't you pay $6 for 24 hour access to all songs in Guitar Hero TV or something? I don't really see what is so bad about this (and if you don't want to spend any money, you don't have to)

Tacitus_

Absolutely disgusting, having a model that would be barely passable in a F2P ga...

LOL........does the dude not realize you get the in game currency with complete ease by.......playing the game? You can spend $0 and play a ton of songs on demand by playing GHTV stuff. Glad to see its not clarified in the OP.

edit: this has also been known for months btw.....its not new

Bad OP, bad!

killroy87

Why is the person tweeting, and the OP, conveniently leaving out the fact that you naturally unlock tokens to play the songs you want just by playing the game. Almost every review has specifically stated that they never found themselves at a point where they were even inclined to spend a dime.

SFenton

Wait, so you pay $60 for the game.. then have to use in game currency to play songs? If you want to get more game currency there's the option to use real money?

No free mode to play whatever??

EDIT: NVM SFenton cleared it up

To add to this, you never, ever, ever have to pay to play the Live content in the game and on the disc.

Acerac

Banned
on disc songs don't require tokens.....just GHTV stuff.....but go ahead and keep calling is a F2P title when it launches with over 200 songs that you don't have to pay a dime to play.

That's more than any other Guitar Hero though so it seems very silly to bitch about it?

Some more clarification:

GHTV is free.
You can, forever, just play whatever the service has on at the time. There will, presumably outside of the Avenged Sevenfold preorder bonus, never be a time where you cannot play a song.
You get tokens by:
- Playing a song

What's the problem here? You're never locked out of GHTV. You're never forced to pay for anything. It's literally no worse than Spotify, Groove, Pandora, Apple Music. The game isn't based around a traditional DLC model anymore, it's based on music discovery services.

From day one you have over 250 songs to play, just for the entry cost of the game. I think there's some misconception over having to pay to play, when that is never the case.

This doesn't seem like an issue to me. It actually sounds rather nice to have a large array of music available, without the need to pay outside the base price.

TimmiT

The problem is that there are only 42 songs on disc. And most of them are shit. I don't want to earn ingame currency to play other songs. And I'm definitely not paying real money to unlock songs for only 24 hours, lol.

And this is worse than having to pay for all of the DLC songs in previous games or Rock Band? Not being able to just buy the songs sucks, but also there's a way to play all of the DLC songs for free.

MilesTeg

Banned
Wait, so you pay $60 for the game.. then have to use in game currency to play songs? If you want to get more game currency there's the option to use real money?

No free mode to play whatever??

No. There are 42 on disc songs you can play whenever. There is also GHTV, which is also free. Where spending real money comes in is if you want to play a specific GHTV song at the time (you can also use earned play tokens).

Think of GHTV as listening to the radio, where you have the option to pay (or use credits) to hear a specific song at any given time. Otherwise you get what you get, but it's free to access, so whatever really.

on disc songs don't require tokens.....just GHTV stuff.....but go ahead and keep calling is a F2P title when it launches with over 200 songs that you don't have to pay a dime to play.

Nah, I'm asking a question here, so any clarifications are welcome. But based on this industries recent behaviour, I'm not really apologizing for being cynical.

killroy87

So you're just saying "I can't have it the way I want it, so I hate it!"

There is a tangible business benefit to doing it this way. While not being able to unlock and keep songs sucks, I agree, it allows them to license much more songs, at amuch cheaper rate. So GHTV should potentially be a constantly growing and evolving thing.

Is it 42 songs or 200 songs?

SFenton

There's only 42 on the disc. The rest are online only. So if you have shit internet, you have 42 songs forever.

This is one of the few fair points about TV I've heard. I will check my box when I get home to see if "online required" is mentioned anywhere near it, since it absolutely should be.

That's more than any other Guitar Hero though so it seems very silly to bitch about it?

Yeah, fun fact, that's approaching half of *all* the content you could play in Warriors of Rock, total.

"most of the songs on the disc are shit" is your opinion. The disc track list could very well be my own playlist, I like nearly every song on there.

If you don't like the music offered why are you considering buying the game?

With my buddy we played overover 50 songs on live without spending a dime and earning more credits. This model is pretty great and I can tell people will come in without reading a thing saying "Lol Activision" or some crap.

ViciousDS

Banned

the people who are bitching are the hardcore players that like to master songs.....but for casual players......or folks that do like to own both games its perfect.

I can spend a base $99 and get everything with the game and not worry about buying more DLC.....while I keep my RB4 library growing.

When I cared about 100% songs and learning solo, yes I liked spending hours on end playing the same song or section....now a days I just want to play and discover music which GHTV allows people to insanely easy to jump in and discover/play music. If they find a song they want they will have plenty of tokens to play that song a few times in a row before getting bored and moving on to discover even more music.

And this is worse than having to pay for all of the DLC songs in previous games or Rock Band? Not being able to just buy the songs sucks, but also there's a way to play all of the DLC songs for free.

Yes. Rockband has more songs, previous GH titles had more songs and if I buy those DLC songs I own them. I can replay them whenever I want.
Now I need enough ingame currency (or real money) to replay songs.

"most of the songs on the disc are shit" is your opinion. The disc track list could very well be my own playlist, I like nearly every song on there.

If you don't like the music offered why are you considering buying the game?

I'm not buying this game ;)

mp1990

Banned
Some more clarification:

GHTV is free.
You get tokens by:
- Playing a song

Thanks for shedding a light on the situation man. Thought at first this was the most disgusting use of microtransactions I've ever seen on a videogame, but after your post yeah i guess its passable. It's not like we'll be able to get rid of MTs anytime soon, just deal with them, liking or not.

This is one of the few fair points about TV I've heard. I will check my box when I get home to see if "online required" is mentioned anywhere near it, since it absolutely should be.

It's been advertised as an online streaming service since it was first revealed.

FrankCaron

This worked really well for Just Dance Now on mobile. They ended up selling a yearly sub for $59.99, which to be honest, was great because a) it lasted long enough and b) they actively kept adding songs.

As per usual, if you don't like it, don't buy it and they won't do it.

Acerac

Banned
There's only 42 on the disc. The rest are online only. So if you have shit internet, you have 42 songs forever.

If you don't have internet at all this an issue, but there are many games that lose value without access to the net.

That doesn't seem to be the main complaint anyways, especially here on an online forum.

SFenton

It's been advertised as an online streaming service since it was first revealed.

Oh, I know. Been following it since announce. (<3 FSG) And I bet it's on the box, but like Titanfall (really meh comparison but yeah) people should know that a huge advertised portion is online only.

This worked really well for Just Dance Now on mobile. They ended up selling a yearly sub for $59.99, which to be honest, was great because a) it lasted long enough and b) they actively kept adding songs.

As per usual, if you don't like it, don't buy it and they won't do it.

I'd probably buy that to be honest.

kadotsu

Banned
The biggest problem with GHTV is that you can't restart the songs. Each token should give you a restart on top of the song.

Stanng243

If you don't have internet at all this an issue, but there are many games that lose value without access to the net.

That doesn't seem to be the main complaint anyways, especially here on an online forum.

I play a lot at a friend's house who lives in the boonies. He has truly horrible capped internet. It's my main complaint against the game.

Ooccoo

The thing about GHTV is once the service goes down, you have a pretty barebones game. And THAT is the problem.

Oh cool! What's so broken about GH? And tell me, again, after I just laid out exactly how you never have to pay for it, why I have to pay for it?

You don't have to pay for a lot (or any for that matter) of F2P either, while they have some problematic mechanics over it.

killroy87

I play a lot at a friend's house who lives in the boonies. He has truly horrible capped internet. It's my main complaint against the game.

This complaint is becoming less and less fair to me. It's the internet. Not everyone has it, I agree, and it's not always their fault (sometimes it's a product of where you live). Not everyone has an HDTV either, but consoles aren't still including composite cables. The idea of GHTV, being a streaming service that you can log into at any time to see a constantly refreshed library of music, is pretty sweet. But it requires internet to exist. At some point devs can't cater to everybody. Don't blame devs for making use of the internet, blame ISP's for not better servicing the population at large with what is at this point a basic utility.

SFenton

You don't have to pay for a lot (or any for that matter) of F2P either, while they have some problematic mechanics over it.

Most F2P that people complain about are the ones that actively lock you out of the game or horrendously slow your progression. GHL does none of that. Literally the only reason to pay is to play a song you want. As others have mentioned, it's really no different than a karaoke machine that if you play otherwise, you don't really have to pay for.

Woffls

It's a great system for parties because you get loads of music available for free and don't need to worry about selecting songs. Pretty much the only way to compete with Rock Band libraries.

But it's terrible for players like me who replay the same songs over and over to get better, and play probably half of the setlist at best. I'd like a system where you can select a handful of songs each month for full access and really focus on improving at those songs.

impact

Banned
LMAO 42 song setlist with IAP to unlock the rest and people will still defend this garbage.

First THPS5, now this. Activision were doing decent for a while but they're coming for that crown Konami stole from them.

Most F2P that people complain about are the ones that actively lock you out of the game or horrendously slow your progression. GHL does none of that. Literally the only reason to pay is to play a song you want. As others have mentioned, it's really no different than a karaoke machine that if you play otherwise, you don't really have to pay for.

I consider this a bullshit model for a game that costs 100$.

So I am guessing you pay to play a song but there is zero way to actually buy the songs? Seems the harsh Gamespot review is accurate.

ViciousDS

Banned
This complaint is becoming less and less fair to me. It's the internet. Not everyone has it, I agree, and it's not always their fault (sometimes it's a product of where you live). Not everyone has an HDTV either, but consoles aren't still including composite cables. The idea of GHTV, being a streaming service that you can log into at any time to see a constantly refreshed library of music, is pretty sweet. But it requires internet to exist. At some point devs can't cater to everybody. Don't blame devs for making use of the internet, blame ISP's for not better servicing the population at large with what is at this point a basic utility.

pretty much, and its not going to change anytime soon as long as we have monopolies being our providers. We are living in a future that wants to boom and go forward but are being held back by the complete ass holes known as giant corporations. With no competition making them upgrade as well its not going to improve anytime soon.

Can you imagine what we would have if fiber was available to every game at this instant? The amount of cloud activities that devs want to do would be most likely a reality.

Top Bottom