• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new Harmy, Ivan Ortega, making a VERY impressive re-edit of SW: The Last Jedi

Bullet Club

Posted for pel1300 pel1300

This is looking surprisingly promising and way better than those mediocre prequel fan edits.

Ivan't sources: TLJ blu ray (including deleted scenes, TFA bluray (including deleted scenes), previous SW movie soundtracks

He is doing this for the same reason Harmy made the despecialized editions. Just something for the fans.

-He is editing several scenes.

-Deleting many scenes (most of Canto Bight).

-Adding music from previous SW movies

-Created a FULL TRAINING MONTAGE for Rey using deleted scenes and the intense trailer music. The montage shows a passage of time, where he cleverly edits in grass growing super fast...making it feel like she has been training for weeks.

-He edits out a lot of the lame jokes and replaces them with callbacks/quick shots that make the scenes more emotional

Rey training montage:

Finn waking up:

Luke tossing lightsaber FIXED

Rey's parents FIXED

Ending fixed:

Here is a teaser trailer for the re-edit:

Ivan just needs $5,000 funding to finish this. He has a rough cut that a few SW youtubers have seen. The reviews have been very positive. If he can get more funding, he can hire more hands and get results faster.

What he needs most right now is a voice over. Mainly for the Rey training montage and a few other Luke scenes. Obviously, Mark Hamill can't do it. But maybe he can find someone who can mimic Luke Skywalker's voice well.

Kadayi

Banned
iu

Honestly, what's the point to this? Disney screwed the pooch. You can polish a turd as much as you want, but at the end of the day, its still a piece of shit.

Last edited:

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
Created a FULL TRAINING MONTAGE for Rey using deleted scenes and the intense trailer music. The montage shows a passage of time, where he cleverly edits in grass growing super fast...making it feel like she has been training for weeks.

I watched this one, and no offence but it sucked. The music is so out of place and the grass growing cut is corny as hell

ickythingz

Banned
No matter what you do to a pile of shit, it is still shit. But keep reaching nu-Star Wars fans. Keep trying to vindicate these atrocities.

Fbh

He seems to have put a lot of effort into this.
But yeah, I don't see the point. Even with all the editing in the world the best you can hope for is a less bad movie and it's not like like any of the changes will be reflected in the sequel

Kadayi

Banned
He seems to have put a lot of effort into this.
But yeah, I don't see the point. Even with all the editing in the world the best you can hope for is a less bad movie and it's not like like any of the changes will be reflected in the sequel

Yeah. I give him props for wanting to do it, but it's not like its anything other than an exercise in futility because at some point he's fun foul of Disneys lawyers tbh.

pel1300

No matter what you do to a pile of shit, it is still shit. But keep reaching nu-Star Wars fans. Keep trying to vindicate these atrocities.

Making a re-edit is not vindicating this movie. It's flat out saying the movie was so bad that it needs a re-edit.

Been a SW fan Since 1991, BTW.

No one is under the delusion that a fan cut of this film will make it some masterpiece. It serves as a message to Lucasfilm that a single fan with his laptop understands Star Wars better than Rian Johnson.

Also...for those of us that hate the movie for it's tonal inconsistencies and characters like Rose....this edit is basically reducing their roles considerably (Holdo won't be the one doing the sacrifice, Ackbar will).

pel1300

I like fan edits *shrug*

I never watched the Phantom Edit...I just thought that movie had its worst parts like awful CGI and Jar Jar woven into nearly every part of the story that a fan edit would be impossible.

Did you watch it. Is it any good?

pel1300

Yeah. I give him props for wanting to do it, but it's not like its anything other than an exercise in futility because at some point he's fun foul of Disneys lawyers tbh.

So far Disney has had youtube take down a few of his videos already. He just uploads them again. They haven't sent him any cease and desist yet.

There are prequel fan edits out there that I hear make the prequels much more watchable. but for me...visually the prequels are so awful and messy that you can't fix them in an edit. George Lucas said this himself. After watching a near complete Phantom Menace, he said he went too far and put too much on screen....and that he couldn't do much editing to fix it because the movie was, in his words, "stylistically designed to be that way"...and by that he means..Jar Jar hogs too much screen time.

Ovek

7Member7
Can’t polish a turd... no wait Mythbusters proved that you can. More power to him, asking for money though is just asking for the Disney lawyers to come and kneecap him.

Last edited:

Gander

Banned
I appreciate the effort but the end result is going to be the same, all roads have to arrive at the same place. The next one in the series is going to have to carry the load to fix it.

That said I saw Spider-man 3 recently and while it had it's chuckle and cringe moments you can really see it was made by someone that knows how to make movies, it's still not that bad to me. Spider-man is a very watchable trilogy.

pel1300

Honestly the real film itself already feels like some fan edit made by someone who hates Star Wars. I keep calling it a parody of Episode VII pretending to be a sequel.

Top Bottom