• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

That's nice. I'd probably more excited about that if I didn't use iCab for a year.
OK, Mr. Badass iCab user, I bow down to you.

I'm a Windows Phone enthusiast and prefer it over an iPhone or Android phone. Windows 8 excites me as much as wards on my dick. At least get that right.
Really?

W8 seems like a pretty great tablet OS, don't see how it wouldn't appeal to you as a WP fan.

Although as a desktop OS it's really just more of the same with the added inconvenience of tablet shit popping up out of nowhwere.

scently

Please I need some help. I am planning to buy the new ipad but I heat that the At&t version doesn't have personal hotspot enabled. The thing is I am buying it to use in another country. So my question is, if I am using it in another country with another SIM, will the personal hotspot option show up? is there anybody who have tried?

The case is always the toughest to choose. So many options out there.

High five for getting one. One of us! One of us!

I had the iPad 1 but I never used it enough since my iPhone 4 ended up being so much better in every way except screen size. Shouldn't be a problem now.

Seriously can't pick a case, though. The Smart Cover only protects the front? Ugh

Quick

Banned
I had the iPad 1 but I never used it enough since my iPhone 4 ended up being so much better in every way except screen size. Shouldn't be a problem now.

Seriously can't pick a case, though. The Smart Cover only protects the front? Ugh

You could go with a Smart Cover + back shell.

I personally went with the Griffin Intellicase, which is pretty much a Smart Cover and back shell put in one. It works out for me pretty well, but I'm actually considering getting another case.

You could go with a Smart Cover + back shell.

I personally went with the Griffin Intellicase, which is pretty much a Smart Cover and back shell put in one. It works out for me pretty well, but I'm actually considering getting another case.

I ended up going with this Poetic one from Amazon in Blue. Great reviews and even with 1 day shipping it's 1/2 the price of a smart cover and 1/3 of the price of the intellicase. Picking up the iPad tomorrow so I'm just gonna be without a case till it comes on Tuesday, I guess.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007HBLX5G/?tag=neogaf0e-20

NOW TO SELL MY TERRIBLE HP TOUCHPAD yay

kinggroin

Banned
I've watched video on a black iPad. It doesn't disappear or fadeaway. It looks exactly like the white iPad- but in black.

Even if there were some special bezel hiding magical properties of the color black, that still only applies to video watching and the iPad does a lot more than play videos. Hell, most the time my iPad is displaying web pages that are 84% pure white anyway. Black is a handsome choice, but the idea it's functionally better is nonsense.

I could see the argument being made if this were an OLED display, but the black levels aren't nearly good enough to allow bezel/screen blending illusion.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Is it just my iPad or is the speaker on this really tinny sounding. I don't remember the ipad 1 and 2 being this low. Volume is turned up to to the highest setting. Even keyboard clicks sound kind of muted. I can sort of cup my hand around the speaker holes to amplify it a bit but that's pretty annoying to do and I'm not always holding the thing.

Was playing around with my sound settings some more. At first I thought maybe one of the speakers was busted but adjusting speaker balance both all the way to the Left and all the way to the Right seems to produce louder overall sound than having it in the middle. It should be the opposite right (i.e. middle balance produce the loudest sound)?

Also, in probably an unrelated note, the iPad 3 keyboard clicks seem very quiet particularly when compared to my iPhone 4. Even when I put them on max settings under General > Sounds. Is this normal?

Was playing around with my sound settings some more. At first I thought maybe one of the speakers was busted but adjusting speaker balance both all the way to the Left and all the way to the Right seems to produce louder overall sound than having it in the middle. It should be the opposite right (i.e. middle balance produce the loudest sound)?

Also, in probably an unrelated note, the iPad 3 keyboard clicks seem very quiet particularly when compared to my iPhone 4. Even when I put them on max settings under General > Sounds. Is this normal?

Yes, just jacked up volume and clicking still quite

I'm pretty pleased with the fact that I can use the free tether on my HTC Rezound to give myself 4G speeds anywhere. It saves a bunch of money.

I've had this thing for 3 days and I've already spent $60 on apps. The Android market had a TON of free content. I think I've maybe spent $30 total in the Android market over the last 2.5 years. I even paid $5 for a freaking calculator! Granted, it's a really nice financial calculator and I'm an accountant, but still! I paid for a weather app? It's a nice app though. Overall, I have to concede the quality of the app market to Apple. This goes a long way to making me more seriously consider an iPhone for my next phone.

My wife, who bought me my iPad with her bonus money, played with the ArtRage app for 4 minutes before declaring that she needed an iPad. She had scoffed at me for wanting one not one week earlier.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
AqhkqSnCMAEv9Xb.jpg

Anyone know what the square/arrow icon means that's replaced the battery indicator?

numble

I'm pretty pleased with the fact that I can use the free tether on my HTC Rezound to give myself 4G speeds anywhere. It saves a bunch of money.

I've had this thing for 3 days and I've already spent $60 on apps. The Android market had a TON of free content. I think I've maybe spent $30 total in the Android market over the last 2.5 years. I even paid $5 for a freaking calculator! Granted, it's a really nice financial calculator and I'm an accountant, but still! I paid for a weather app? It's a nice app though. Overall, I have to concede the quality of the app market to Apple. This goes a long way to making me more seriously consider an iPhone for my next phone.

My wife, who bought me my iPad with her bonus money, played with the ArtRage app for 4 minutes before declaring that she needed an iPad. She had scoffed at me for wanting one not one week earlier.
What functions does a financial calculator offer over a normal calculator? I'm not an accountant, but I am curious.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I finally got a chance to use the new iPad for an extended period of time. I've used the original and “2“ for a couple years now almost.

Screen is indeed lovely, so damn sharp.
But my interest in upgrading from my iPad 2 has dropped considerably due to how warm the area to the left of the home button was getting. Obviously it wasnt blistering hot like some news' hyperbole, but it was definitely warmer than any phone or handheld device I've ever used.

I love how my iPad 1 and 2 were both ice cold when I held them, it was just real disconcerting and felt strange.
I couldn't get my head to stop noticing it. Now I'm debating waiting for the next model. But... Dat retina.... :(

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I finally got a chance to use the new iPad for an extended period of time. I've used the original and “2“ for a couple years now almost.

Screen is indeed lovely, so damn sharp.
But my interest in upgrading from my iPad 2 has dropped considerably due to how warm the area to the left of the home button was getting. Obviously it wasnt blistering hot like some news' hyperbole, but it was definitely warmer than any phone or handheld device I've ever used.

I love how my iPad 1 and 2 were both ice cold when I held them, it was just real disconcerting and felt strange.
I couldn't get my head to stop noticing it. Now I'm debating waiting for the next model. But... Dat retina.... :(

Weird.

What functions does a financial calculator offer over a normal calculator? I'm not an accountant, but I am curious.

Time value of money (mortgage / car payment), currency valuation, physics calculations, and it keeps track of each step on a side bar. It also does all of the trig / calculus stuff. I need more than just add, subtract, multiply, and divide.

Vyer

Yeah, it's not just bs that gets thrown around in dumb OS wars threads; there is a real difference in app options and to some people that's a factor in what they use. As someone who enjoys trying the new apps that come out, it's one for me definitely. Just gotta be careful with the spending... lol

mrkgoo

I think this was posted in the gaming thread to little fanfare (zzzoram), but it's kinda neat:

http://itunes.apple.com/app/marvels-avengers-iron-man/id515559078?mt=8

mza_4126026255205678602.480x480-75.jpg

mza_6351065369191032511.480x480-75.jpg

It's basically an iPad app interactive webcomic, detailing the development of the ironman armours via comic strip form, kinda like a summary of Iron-Man I and II leading up to the Avengers release.

It's like 16 pages long, but has some interactive elements, such as shifting panels, and tapping for sound effects and animation. Kinda neat and worth a play since it's free.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So this is the first afternoon since I got my iPad that I've sat down at my MBP hooked up to a crappy 27in tv thats been my main computer rig forever.

I feel like I'm at the Nasa mission control center. Theres all these sliders and windows and icons and weird shit. Its insane. :^O

Quick

Banned
So this is the first afternoon since I got my iPad that I've sat down at my MBP hooked up to a crappy 27in tv thats been my main computer rig forever.

I feel like I'm at the Nasa mission control center. Theres all these sliders and windows and icons and weird shit. Its insane. :^O

I've only used my MBP three or four times since getting my iPad. Haha.

buhdeh

I watched Coachella live on my iPad. I just have to say, the picture quality was amazing and this thing is just so useful to have around. I rarely use my laptop in the house now. It's all desktop (gaming) + iPad.

Dez

AqhkqSnCMAEv9Xb.jpg

Anyone know what the square/arrow icon means that's replaced the battery indicator?

I think you have backgrounder installed - that icon represents an app has been explicitly backgrounded.. I think.. But wait this is an iPad 3 thread so jailbreaking isn't possible yet.. Never mind

Anyone else using an LTE iPad get a carrier settings update today? Just switched mine on out of sleep mode and had a prompt to update. I'm on Verizon btw.

Vyer

I watched Coachella live on my iPad. I just have to say, the picture quality was amazing and this thing is just so useful to have around. I rarely use my laptop in the house now. It's all desktop (gaming) + iPad.

Out of curiosity, would you say you were expecting that, or no? I'm curious how folks who might have believed they wouldn't get much use out of a tablet feel after that changes when they own one.

Out of curiosity, would you say you were expecting that, or no? I'm curious how folks who might have believed they wouldn't get much use out of a tablet feel after that changes when they own one.

This is me!

I walked out of Best Buy with my new iPad fully expecting I would regret the purchase within a couple of weeks.

I was so very very wrong! If anything I am under-utilizing the device so that my wife doesn't get interested in it and take it over.

cackhyena

I am, but I use this thing even more than I thought I would. Love it. Still looking for the right case. Even on this page, checking out all the links and cases mentioned, nothing is sitting right with me. Going back and forth in my mind on the Otterbox.

Quick

Banned
It's been a month now since I got my iPad, and I'm looking through the app store for apps to buy, and I can't choose!

Prior to getting my iPad, I thought: "hey, I'm going to buy this app, and that app, and that app, etc." And now I can't make up my mind. I keep browsing the app store and the NeoGAF Best of iOS thread, and I still can't see anything I want.

I kept asking for a good comic reader, and I still can't get close to a decision on one. Smash, Comic Zeal, Comic Glass, Stanza, CloudReader, etc. So many apps that it's hard to choose. :lol

Anyone else in the same boat as me?

buhdeh

No, I wasn't expecting it. When the first iPad came out, I thought it was stupid and just a gigantic iPod touch. Might also be the combination of the retina screen, but I love browsing on this thing and the quality/color of the screen is definitely MUCH better than my laptop. The iOS experience is also pretty well thought out and actually feels tailored for a tablet.

I'm not really sure what I'm going to use my laptop for anymore, haha.

mrkgoo

Anyone here still using their home computer more than the iPad?

Not really, but it depends on what I'm doing. No 'truck' apps on iPad!

Use Aperture, safari, mail, iTunes on my computer. I love my desk, though. I research stuff much better on my computer.

It,s weird...I love both machines so much.

things I find my iPad BETTER at than my computer(a la Steve Jobs at iPad launch):
Web browsing news (news apps included), forums
Google maps
Showing people stuff
Games
Internet around the house (couch, table, bed)
Reading books
Listening to podcasts via AirPlay

Things I like my computer for:
Aperture
Interestingly, iMessage - I love IMessage, but typing is waaaaaaay better on a keyboard.
Similarly, I like email much better on my mac, mostly for the typing stuff ( I also use the iPad like interface)
Videos.... Mostly because I can't be bothered with the conversion and transfer to iPad.
Long, deep Internet browsing...like requiring lots of tabs, and search field typing.
buying apps - I never buy apps on the iPad.... I always buy apps on computing and sync.

Stuff I like my iPhone for(note I have an ooooooold 3G):
Phone
Music
Outside Internet

mrkgoo

It frustrates me when people don't have foresight/vision/open-minded ness enough to even admit that something could be useful, even in light of millions of people doing so. I,m not saying everyone HAS to find a use, but just entertaining the possibility and curiosity.

So many people dismissed the iPad upon announcement... I did a little, knowing that it was just a large iPod touch, but upon serious though, i decided a larger more powerful device was capable of much more so I bought one at launch.

Now obviously, I'm guilty myself, but it's funny how people always convince themselves they don't need certain features in products they don't have, but half the time, it's just justifying they don't need it. That's fine - we all rationalise our spending as we feel necessary. But so many times, particulalry with Apple products, the devices go from 'neat' to indispensable. I think they have a sneaky way of making us emotionally attached to the experience. I just give them the benefit of the doubt most times now. Some would say it's just getting stuff for the logo, but to me, it,s a faith I find they deserve. I've rarely been disappointed.

I got one, which is my first tablet, last week. So far I've been using it mostly sitting in front of my laptop, which is directly beside my desktop. It seems incredibly ridiculous to me to browse the internet on it while right next to two other devices that are perfectly capable of it. Despite that, somehow I prefer using the iPad.

GJS

I got one, which is my first tablet, last week. So far I've been using it mostly sitting in front of my laptop, which is directly beside my desktop. It seems incredibly ridiculous to me to browse the internet on it while right next to two other devices that are perfectly capable of it. Despite that, somehow I prefer using the iPad.

I just got mine today. I've been using a VNC app to control my desktop, set up video encodes and then transfer them over wifi sync to my iPad, all whilst I'm sitting directly in front of my PC.

It doesn't help that I should be writing up work really, so it's all just some quick experimenting atm until I know how I'm going to use it and can afford to be away from the desktop.

Kal

I need help. I have a lot of .avi files on my PC. I want to play them on my iPad; I don't want to stream them or have them converted - I want to copy some of these files via USB or wireless (preferably without iTunes) and play them natively on my iPad. Is there any program that will allow me to do that?

Thanks.

cackhyena

Hmmm, movies and trailers are fine for sound but for some reason all of a sudden, games have no sound no matter how loud the volume is. Am I missing something?

Cheebo

Banned
I do have to say since iPad my iPhone has basically just became a device I use to make calls and text whenI am at home. It's crazy since before iPad I used to use it for like EVERYTHING.

cackhyena

Never mind. i didn't know you can double tap the home button to bring up that task bar until now. Swiped to the right and saw it was on mute. i don't get how that works, though. Somehow I muted that while the side volume button was up to normal levels and nothing indicating the fix in settings. Just glad it's not something wrong with the thing.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
I need help. I have a lot of .avi files on my PC. I want to play them on my iPad; I don't want to stream them or have them converted - I want to copy some of these files via USB or wireless (preferably without iTunes) and play them natively on my iPad. Is there any program that will allow me to do that?

Thanks.

while unattractive, the best option is to convert the files. converting to a proper format guarantees that you're using the iPad's HW acceleration to render the movie, meaning your device will actually meet the 10-hour video playback. software playback with other video players will eat your battery fast.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Have some questions about the AV Adapter. Grabbed this on a whim and actually used it with great success on my most recent trip, using last.fm, google music, and netflix all on the big screen in my hotel. Not bad. Just a few questions:

-Do you have to leave the iPad screen on in order for stuff to actually continue playing? Seems like any time I went into sleep or triggered sleep myself the playback would stop. Seems wasteful of the battery so hopefully I'm doing it wrong and there's some way to continue playback on the TV even with the iPad screen off.

-Is there anything to reduce the artifacting? Netflix was really bad. Maybe it's just the nature of the beast -- web browsing and the like looked good even though it didn't quite fill up the screen. Basically is there any way to control resolution/size from the iPad.

has anyone extensively used the DJay app? I bought when it was on sale for $10 (1/2 off) because it looked so sexy lol. What are your impressions of it?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

Thanks.
Goodplayer

Has all that you mention (can wifi sync without iTunes). But as also said, using software rendering eats battery faster.

coldfoot

Banned
I have goodplayer, but I still convert my stuff to iphone/ipad compatible formats with xmedia recode. It's fast, and with most stuff, you don't have to convert video at all.

Top Bottom