• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New PlayStation Web Store is an Absolute Mess

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm sure they will improve the experience but how fucking hard can it possibly be to keep basic filters and wish list etc as is? Whoever OK'd this should be fired.
Sony believes in generations

azz0r

Banned
Might not be final yet? Also the filters might be accessible by a control button we cant see the prompt for yet?

cormack12

Gold Member
Doesn’t this tend to happen with new rollouts? I'd figured all these additional features the OP mentioned will be implemented as time goes on, and most likely by the end of the year. I think the store release schedule just doesnt match the console release schedule unfortunately.

There are features and there are necessities. Imagine if Amazon did an upgrade and just had pictures of product boxes, disabled filters and got rid of autofill. I don't mind stuff like the wishlist coming, but I expect like 'quick add', 'name of product' to be pretty standard to be honest. As well as sorting options.

I'm sure they'll fix it - who knows the actual PS5 one might be beautiful and have all these features on the console but this is a swing and a miss.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It’s the direction EVERYTHING is going, and it’s horse shit. Hopefully this is not Sony’s long term plan and they add those features to the storefront soon.

The Social Dilemma movie on Netflix opened my eyes as to "WHY" companies are doing this now.

Not only its terrible visually, but I feel like they did this on purpose. By taking away wishlist and search functions, they want people to waste time browsing(window shopping) for their games instead of finding if their game are on discount or not.

Their algorithm will dictate to you which games you should be interested in buying based on your playing habits, the games your friends play, and the videos you watch on Youtube (if your Sony Playstation ID is connected to Youtube directly).

Saber

Gold Member
Their algorithm will dictate to you which games you should be interested in buying based on your playing habits, the games your friends play, and the videos you watch on Youtube (if your Sony Playstation ID is connected to Youtube directly).

Good to know, because I won't log on shit. Probably gonna ignore this function completelly. And if I can't, I'm gonna probably disable it.

Pantz

Being optimistic I think it will get better over time. Maybe it was more work than they expected to completely rebuild the store and they had to rush out a bare bones version for now. Maybe a new wishlist will be added again. To be really optimistic, maybe they will start selling digital PS1-PS3 games on a game by game basis in the compatibility of the new store.

The Silverlord

Neo Member
Damn. I always ordered through the website 'cos my PS4 store runs like treacle. My wish list was chock full of future goodness waiting to come down in price. Crazy I now to use a third party site or a Google Doc to keep track going forward . . .

bender

What time is it?
I cannot open it, i am getting an error saying my browser (safari) is not supported 😐

It's for the best. I was just infected with the new store.

Goodbye Wishlist, my old friend.
Sony really fucked their front end.
Because of next gen slowly creeping.
PS3, VITA and PSP digital sales are sleeping.
A vision of organized DLC planted in my brain.
Still remains.
Within the sound of Tokyo.

Last edited:

N30RYU

Anyone figured out how to access via the new store to see how much someone have left in his PSN wallet?

The old website had issues, but at least it was setup to mainly function as an e-commerce site. This new store, assuming it remains relatively unchanged, is a marketing tool. As someone who generally used the webstore to browse games & DLC, this change will probably cause me to purchase less content for Sony's platform.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Anyone figured out how to access via the new store to see how much someone have left in his PSN wallet?
Hit the user drop down, then select "Payment Management". Sign in (if required) then it should say "Wallet Balance" at the top (if you have one). Another change that requires several more clicks and menus that used to just be right in the drop down.

Agent X

The new PlayStation web store is an absolute mess.

Holy cow, jshackles jshackles isn't just whistling Dixie here.

You did a great job describing many of the upgrades downgrades that the PlayStation Store has undergone. It really doesn't hit home until you've experienced it yourself. My goodness, the store navigation is completely wrecked. It's just a mishmash of icons with prices underneath them--no other helpful context whatsoever.

I don't know what Sony was supposed to accomplish here, other than perhaps to drive people back to using the PS Store within the consoles themselves. If that was their goal, then they have succeeded magnificently.

I just don't understand who looks at this and signs off on replacing their old one with this mess. You shouldn't be coming out with a new store that has far LESS features than your old one had. This makes me want to never use it again and I used the webstore all the time.

dwish

Lol. Looks like they had an icon-loving UX "genious" do the redesign.
"The old store was too cluttered and confused people" /s

I don't get it. It's easy to develop such features. Also, a competent UI/UX designer can easily integrate said features even into a minimalistic, clean looking UI. There's simply no excuse for not having these features on your release candidate/version 1.0 new store. Why is this happening? Not enough time because of Covid?

xrnzaaas

The game pages don't work for me at all. I'm on Firefox and I'm seeing shit like this:

WimUEhV.jpg

Same with owned games. No buttons for downloading them.

Edit: nvm, the buttons started showing up, maybe it was an issue with their servers

Other than that issue (which seems to be resolved now) the store is truly terrible:
- no filters of any kind
- not possible to remove DLC's & microtransactions from search results
- no autocomplete while using the search engine
- game cards are very basic - no trailers or screenshots for the game - how is that supposed to help in making a decision to purchase the game?
- rip wishlist, I'm glad I moved my games to psprices

Last edited:

xion4360

I hate it because there is no way to see just the newest content now, and the game pages are so bare bones no screenshits or trailers, barely a description...wow sony

cicero

I can't even seem to access a full list of my purchased or redeemed titles now. How hard would it have been to still have that? This new store and mobile UI is absolute trash.

Faithless83

Banned
The new PlayStation web store is an absolute mess. We knew about a few downgrades before it rolled out, but it turns out there were a lot of features from the old site that got scrapped in the new design. Here are a few of the downgrades I've found so far:
  • Wishlist functionality is completely gone (we knew about this in advance, at least)
  • The store no longer has PSP, Vita, or PS3 games (we also knew this)
  • Filtering and sorting options are all completely gone
  • DLC is no longer browsable on a per game basis
  • Search box no longer has any form of autocomplete
  • Item names aren't visible while browsing
Want to sort a list of games you're browsing by the least expensive first? Sorry. Want to see a list of all the DLC available for Tekken 7? Nope. Let's take a deep dive on a few of these issues and post a bunch of photos.

Filtering and sorting options are all completely gone

You used to be able to sort lists and filter them based on your preferences. While this did add a bit of clutter to the interface, it was very handy for filtering out stuff you weren't interested in or sorting lists to your liking.

ptcTsUd.png

With the new store, these options are no longer available.

nxHlTyK.png

You get the list they give you, in the order they give you and there is no way to sort or filter it any more.

DLC is no longer browsable on a per game basis

Old store:
GG1KTFC.png

New store:
ZezILxc.png

With the old store page, I could see that characters were $5.99 each and if I wanted to browse them all there is a convenient button right there to do it. With the new store I get two options: the game, or the ultimate edition. If I want to just buy the Leroy Smith character, I need to do a search (remember, no autocomplete) to find him. This isn't just an issue with Tekken 7, all games are like this now.

Item names aren't visible while browsing

This gets to be an issue especially with things that aren't labeled well in their thumbnails. While I imagine it's easy for Sony to point fingers and say it's the publisher's job to make better thumbnails. This might not be as big of any issue going forward (since publishers will obviously have to overcome Sony's shortcomings here) it's a pretty big issue right now.

For example, let's say I do a search for "Rock Band":
Z1ACe8s.png

A few of these items, I can identify based on their thumbnail image, but a lot of them can't be. You would think that instinctually I would at least get a hover tooltip with the item's name, but that's not the case. If I want to see what the second and third items are in the top row that look identical to each other are, I need to click on each of them and load the store page for those items. Turns out, they're "20 free track pack (Unavailable)" and "Rock Band 2 Export (Unavailable)". Yikes.

I hear you saying "well, maybe it's just Rock Band" that's got issues. Let's get a bit more generic.

sYvqATF.png

So there are several problems here, all of which could probably be solved by putting the name of these things below the icon. Like - what is the difference between the first and last items on the top row? One is on sale for $9.59, but the other is free. There are two icons for Dragon Ball Z Kakarot but only one of them has a price tag. There are a total of three icons for Dragon Age Inquisition, but at least they have different banners at the top? It looks like there are two versions of Dragon Quest XI available - why is one $20 cheaper?

Conclusion

Sony essentially discontinued a huge number of older games from their web store, but also felt the need to discontinue a lot of functionality too. There are a few features of the new store I really like, such as curated collections, but overall I feel like the new store is a massive step backwards. What do you think GAF?

I'm with you on this one OP. Missing the names is making my life hell.

So we still have this:

Not a solution per say, but a decent alternative. You can change region, it has alerts for price drops and also price history. More people should know about this site.

eDgz9Nw.png

cormack12

Gold Member
This stores an absolute shitshow from a browser. The new app works quite well, and im sure the ps5 ui will too. But the web/mobile store is hot trash. Just dont publish it if its this bad. Wtf is this shit not refreshing at all to have a buy button or add to cart.

hxw2UmR.jpg

jshackles

Well, it looks like they've added game names back to the PSN web store thankfully.

UwMC014.png

Store still looks generic as fuck but at least it's more usable now.

Top Bottom