• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new Switch Pro will have exclusive games that cannot run on the current model

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
This rumor comes from NateDrake and Pokemaniac, posted on Reee

unknown.png

Random user: Should we expect exclusive games for this new system?
Pokemaniac: Absolutely. Though they'll probably be mostly from 3rd parties at first.

Random user: And why would you think that?
NateDrake: There will be some select exclusives, especially from third-party partners. May not be a big number of them, but I know of at least one.

The leaker says that it will be "mostly from 3rd parties at first" but it does sound like Nintendo will have exclusive too after the release.

Source: here

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Who are NateDrake and Pokemaniac?
NateDrake's been a fairly reliable leaker over the years (I know he's made a few mistakes too). Don't know about Pokemaniac.

But what he's saying makes sense and would be consistent with how Nintendo has historically treated mid-gen refreshes. New 3DS had some exclusives, for example.

What I'm really wondering is the difference in horsepower in the new Switch Pro. Somehow I don't think you can make the jump from "barely 1080p in select games" to "4k machine" without a massive power usage increase, whole new set of thermals, etc. So are we talking a $399 1440p/30FPS machine that occasionally runs indie games in Native 4k? Because if so, "nah I'm good". But if it'd $299.99 and the regular Switch drops to $250 or so, I can see it taking off.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
These exclusive games better have a regular switch version too included, or Nintendo is making a huge mistake.
They probably won't. Like I said in my previous post, Nintendo's strategy in the past has indicated that they'll have some exclusives to entice you to purchase the new hardware. This isn't Microsoft we're talking about here (and that's not an insult to Microsoft, just that they take a different approach).

But it's highly unlikely that they would NOT release all of their flagship franchises (Zelda, Mario, Splatoon, Mario Kart, Metroid) across the entire ecosystem.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I don’t think that make sense so that makes me skeptical. I will not believe this until I see it.

Quasicat

Who are NateDrake and Pokemaniac?
NateDrake has a podcast called Nate the Hate and seems to have some connections. He dropped a hint last week on the Spawncast about the Pokémon Direct before it was announced. The best part about his show is his counterpart Modern Vintage Gamer, who rips on Nate occasionally about his hints and predictions.

HAL-01

NateDrake's been a fairly reliable leaker over the years (I know he's made a few mistakes too). Don't know about Pokemaniac.

But what he's saying makes sense and would be consistent with how Nintendo has historically treated mid-gen refreshes. New 3DS had some exclusives, for example.

What I'm really wondering is the difference in horsepower in the new Switch Pro. Somehow I don't think you can make the jump from "barely 1080p in select games" to "4k machine" without a massive power usage increase, whole new set of thermals, etc. So are we talking a $399 1440p/30FPS machine that occasionally runs indie games in Native 4k? Because if so, "nah I'm good". But if it'd $299.99 and the regular Switch drops to $250 or so, I can see it taking off.
Assuming they’re going to use dlss, switch pro would only need to be about twice as powerful to deliver 4K. Considering we’ve had mobile chipsets as powerful as an Xbox one since 2018, I’d say it’s pretty doable for $329

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
if this thing has ps4 level specs, you will just see ports of cross gen games set for release later this year. no one is launching next gen games on this handheld.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
They’ll probably do a remaster of breath of the wild or odyssey...

But they’ll buy them again guaranteed.

Bridges

I selfishly hope this is not true because I really don't want to shell out cash for another new console right now.

If first parties stay on the original Switch and don't take a massive performance hit then it's fine, but if it ends up like the New 3DS where several games can barely pull it together on the older model (like Hyrule Warriors Legends) this will suck. Feels too soon for this.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
NateDrake is the same guy who said a Call of duty is coming to switch and was also expecting "switch pro" to be twice as powerful and release in 2019.
If this is true this thread should be locked

Trilobit

If true I'd be moderately disappointed, but it would not be something new for Nintendo. As long as Metroid Prime 4 is playable on the original I'm fine.

I'd much rather save my cash for the real sequel console.

Last edited:
Top Bottom