• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new Switch Pro will have exclusive games that cannot run on the current model

UnNamed

Banned
This rumor comes from NateDrake
There is no word from him that proves he isn't speculating.

Considering that:
-Nintendo have a history of mid gen systems on the portable gaming market;
-Nintendo mid gen systems had exclusive games;
-Nintendo and partners are always working on IPs that could reach the current consoles or be moved on the next gen systems.

None of his words are different from those assumptions.

Gloomnivore

The New 3DS exclusives from Nintendo were ports of Xenoblade Chronicles and Hyrule Warriors. Then they lost interest even faster than Sony did with the Vita.

Current Switch owners needn’t worry too much about missing out on Breath of the Wild 2, Metroid Prime 4 or anything like that.

Pejo

Hell yes, give me some power for a change Nintendo. I have my expectations in check here, but hopefully steady 30FPS across the board isn't too much to ask. I just hope by making Switch Pro exclusives, we don't see these NEW games running at 10-26 FPS at 720p instead of 480p.

regawdless

Banned
I bet there'll be some third party ports that'll only run on the more powerful version. Would make sense at least.

Last edited:

McRazzle

NateDrake is the same guy who said a Call of duty is coming to switch and was also expecting "switch pro" to be twice as powerful and release in 2019.
There's reports from others too.

Matt the developer from era also confirmed it, and he stated that people who play in docked mode will want to have it on day one.
That could mean different things, but I think it means exclusive games will only be available in docked mode.

Also, the same Bloomberg reporter that leaked this, stated that Nintendo would be using a customized chip some months ago.

beni12

Neo Member
If this is true this thread should be locked

Ev2DYbl.jpg

All i am saying is that people should keep their expectations in check about how reliable NateDrake informations about nintendo are.

20cent

Banned
Nah. Didn't really work for the DSi or the New 3DS. Same reason why the Wii U didn't sell, general public thought it was just an updated Wii.

A few percentage of that 70 millions are Nintendo collectors.

cireza

Banned
So just like 3DS and DSi.

Just imagine the incredible risks you have to take to predict something like that.

Last edited:

futurama78

Banned
How hard is it to scale it down to the launch model? 4k rendering should offset graphics upgrade. Screen size shouldn’t be anything.

If they pull a "new" on the switch, l just wait for a pro model on their next system. Fool me once.
Isn't the switch like 4 or 5 years old? Certainly at the point at which this supposed Pro model drops it will be. I can't say I feel slighted after gaming and enjoying the system for half a decade after only paying 300 bucks(plus tax of course).

If I had a penny for everytime I heard rumours about switch pro I would've been a billionaire by now .
Nathandrake and pokemon spreading rumours where is mastercheif when we need him

Papacheeks

Banned
If this is a New 3DS situation, seriously go fuck yourself Nintendo. 4 years of support for your original model then you do exactly what pissed a lot of 3DS fans off.

They seriously dont learn as a company. This is why I dont invest in Nintendo anymore.

lifa-cobex

Not a chance.

The Switch has been out for about four years??
The Wii U was five years before the Switch. Even that was a sore spot for fans.
The 3DS thing was bad enough.

If Nintendo decided to have an M O of releasing consoles in that time frame with console exclusives. People would get fed up with them very fast.
Consumers for the most part would just start skipping one cycle of consoles and wait for the next one.

I don't think they are that stupid.

Murdoch

I really dislike mid gen non-cosmetic refreshes. It just confused the market and splits the base whilst adding yet further complexity for developers. Consoles used to be simple affairs with a single SKU and bugger all knowledge for your average consumer.

Ellery

Oh yes please. I kinda doubt it but (as someone who wants to buy the new Switch) I am all for it

This rumor comes from NateDrake and Pokemaniac, posted on Reee

unknown.png

Random user: Should we expect exclusive games for this new system?
Pokemaniac: Absolutely. Though they'll probably be mostly from 3rd parties at first.

Random user: And why would you think that?
NateDrake: There will be some select exclusives, especially from third-party partners. May not be a big number of them, but I know of at least one.

The leaker says that it will be "mostly from 3rd parties at first" but it does sound like Nintendo will have exclusive too after the release.

Source: here
AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA no.

Good luck to the developers for selling switch pro exclusive games to the 3-4 people who will buy this upgrade, if this is real

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Nah. New and more demanding games will still run on the old Switch versions. With exactly 11fps.
I remember someone tinkered with Xenoblade 3DS version to make it run on a regular 3DS. It could run, albeit with very poor performance.

I guess people could adapt - wasn't that basically the launch performance of Cyberpunk on old gen? :messenger_tongue:

Jokes notwithstanding, I don't see why this isn't plausible.
New 3DS did this with a very limited selection of games, but Nintendo was careful to keep compatibility with their bigger games, even if they did have to perform some wizardry with games like Smash Bros.

Third parties of course have a bigger audience elsewhere, but if their games are scalable enough, someone may be tempted to get a ultraportable version like it happened with Doom and Doom Eternal. I bought Doom on Switch on a whim and it was "good enough".
Of course that depends on third parties and their willingness to spend time and resources in Switch ports. The console has had enough success that doing this may turn out to be profitable in the end.

I'd gladly upgrade to a more capable Switch and use my launch unit as an emulation machine.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
The switch barely has any exclusives as it is. Making a new console won't make me upgrade.

Fbh

As long as all the big Nintendo titles still come to the OG Switch and they don't run like crap (cough Age of Calamity cough) I'm fine.

But this wouldn't be surprising. N3DS did have some exclusives.

Interfectum

No idea why people are butthurt over the idea of exclusives. Games like RDR2 are near impossible on current Switch but my be possible on the new one. What's wrong with having that exclusive with the Pro if it means otherwise it wouldn't exist at all?

futurama78

Banned
No idea why people are butthurt over the idea of exclusives. Games like RDR2 are near impossible on current Switch but my be possible on the new one. What's wrong with having that exclusive with the Pro if it means otherwise it wouldn't exist at all?
I’m not sure why it can’t have rdr2 right now. Scale down? Also, I want like toy solider or cartoonified call of duty instead of 1:1 on Nintendo Switch. Or both.

Last edited:
Random thoughts ahead.

Has to be utilising NVidias DLSS to push up to 4K. Logically I would expect roughly a 2x boost to the GPU to get up to 1440p native (~1.77x the pixels compared to 1080p) with DLSS bringing that up to 4K. Otherwise there just isn't any point in the upgrade. If the new switch does indeed make use of DLSS then it no doubt will utilise NVidia Xavier SoC as it is the first of the family to include Tensor cores (required for DLSS 2.0 operation). That chip bottoms out at around 614 GFLOPS and has variations that push higher. A 2x boost to switch gpu would be very feasible if Xavier is planned even in its weakest form.

Mr.ODST

Would make sense, Bowsers Fury struggles to run on the Switch its still an amazing experience but for that 60fps it tried to do there is alot of drops and even worse in Handheld mode.

Breath of the Wild 2 will most likely be an exclusive for the new hardware and potentially Splatoon

Interfectum

I’m not sure why it can’t have rdr2 right now. Scale down? Also, I want like toy solider or cartoonified call of duty instead of 1:1 on Nintendo Switch. Or both.
It's not worth the effort to port something like RDR2 to Switch... could be very costly with the only return being a couple hundred thousand in sales with a very shitty looking version of the game.

If Switch Pro makes it easier to port PS4 level games to the Switch platform I could envision a lot of potential exclusives to the Pro.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Please don’t let the switch version of Minecraft run at 60 FPS on this. I will be forced to buy this for my daughter or face a constant Nintendo Switch version of this
9q300wy.gif

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Every gamer is sitting back saying “hey” Nintendo is living and dying by double screens and they’re hot as hell but the switch has carried them basically two generations. Nintendo thinks their concepts can terrorize Sony and Microsoft and that’s why nobody respects Nintendo are you men or mice? If Nintendo is made of anything of substance than they’ll release a true real next gen 4K powerhouse of a console with a traditional (nes, snes, n64, GameCube) controller.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Isn't the switch like 4 or 5 years old? Certainly at the point at which this supposed Pro model drops it will be. I can't say I feel slighted after gaming and enjoying the system for half a decade after only paying 300 bucks(plus tax of course).
Its 4. Yeah I've gotten some good use out of it, but for me there hasn't been enough games I love on it to not be upset if a slightly upgraded model has a game I would care about.

I guess as long as Monolithsoft's next game or BOTW 2 aren't exclusives, I don't really care. XC2 and BOTW are the only games on the system that I really love.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
New 3DS had exclusives, so I'm sure that the situation will be just the same with Switch Pro
Were the exclusives successful enough to warrant no serving the existing market of 80+ million switches? Just because they did something in the past, does not mean that it was successful enough to repeat. 3rd party only seems weird. 1st party only less so because they could benefit from selling consoles at a profit. What do the 3rd parties get to port a game to a system that is some weird mid-cycle refresh?

Hugare

Were the exclusives successful enough to warrant no serving the existing market of 80+ million switches? Just because they did something in the past, does not mean that it was successful enough to repeat. 3rd party only seems weird. 1st party only less so because they could benefit from selling consoles at a profit. What do the 3rd parties get to port a game to a system that is some weird mid-cycle refresh?
Not saying that there'll be big hitters for it. I can only remember Xenoblade as a big name from the New 3ds exclusives.

It will probably be a situation where Nintendo will force developers to make a Switch and Switch Pro versions for every game, just like Sony did with PS4/Pro

John Day

Nah, if it were to happen, it’d be like the 3ds all over again. No significant exclusive on those. And why would there be? You don’t want to fragment your market.

Top Bottom