• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

The next 007 is a black woman, because of course she is, it's current year after all you racist sexist bigot.

Boss Mog

Dec 12, 2013
She won't actually be James Bond but will be getting his iconic agent number after Daniel Craig's last movie. They could have given her another agent number and it would've been fine and nobody would've cared but obviously then they couldn't virtue signal and the feminist writer couldn't strike a blow to the "patriarchy".

Trey

Mar 3, 2010

Gashtronomy

Apr 19, 2019
What does it matter if a black woman gets a symbolic, fictitious super spy designation?
I don't think it's anything to do with OMG blak wiminz in man role and more about how creatively bankrupt Hollywood are, combined with the double-standards of all white males/ginger females being replaced by POC.

Hollywood could write a spy-story with a black female lead and it could be one of the best or worst films ever. But to tack it onto an established series is lazy and money-grabbing.

James Bond is supposed to be about espionage and spying between a British intelligence service and (historically) the soviet union. As Lana says in archer "How many 6ft tall black women do you see in Russia?"

The whole thing is pure laziness.

Trey

Mar 3, 2010
I don't think it's anything to do with OMG blak wiminz in man role and more about how creatively bankrupt Hollywood are, combined with the double-standards of all white males/ginger females being replaced by POC.

Hollywood could write a spy-story with a black female lead and it could be one of the best or worst films ever. But to tack it onto an established series is lazy and money-grabbing.

James Bond is supposed to be about espionage and spying between a British intelligence service and (historically) the soviet union. As Lana says in archer "How many 6ft tall black women do you see in Russia?"

The whole thing is pure laziness.
Black Women are allowed to be in the Bond franchise. I don't recall this fretting with Halle Berry being a super spy, nor the recent incarnation of Moneypenny. Bond is clearly not replaced by a POC, he retired in this story. And as this Bond continuity established, 007 is a callsign that can go to any spy.

And Craig Bond franchise hasn't dealt with Russia directly in any of its films, so this current 007 should be fine on that count.

Last edited:

Trey

Mar 3, 2010
It takes some mighty mental gymnastics to handwave the political ideology driving yet another identity replacement.
You don't know a single thing about this story other than a black woman getting the 007 designation, and Bond retiring. Seems to me you simply have your own identity politics issues to unpack, where your first reaction to a woman of color getting a role is to think there's an ulterior motive.

Becuase it's a blatant attempt to pander to intersectional feminists. If I wanted to watch propaganda, I'll save 20 bucks, stay home and wacth MSNBC
Less flashy exploding train and helicopter setpieces though.

Last edited:

KINGMOKU

May 16, 2005
I honestly dont care but if I have to suffer thru another feature pretending a female can go head to head in a fight with a 6'2 dude I'll lose my mind.

When women are portrayed realistically in film, and playing to their strengths, it can be amazing. (Linda Hamilton/Sigourney weaver)

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
You don't know a single thing about this story other than a black woman getting the 007 designation, and Bond retiring. Seems to me you simply have your own identity politics issues to unpack, where your first reaction to a woman of color getting a role is to think there's an ulterior motive.
Disgustingly intellectually disingenuous. Like, seriously, disgusting.

Trey

Mar 3, 2010
People who like james bond dont want a girl as james bond. So who is going to show up to watch this?
James Bond is still the lead and the protagonist. He retired from MI6, and this woman has his 007 designation now.

Nobody_Important

Gold Member
May 22, 2018
00 is a status, basically the license to kill part, 007 is the designation for James Bond. There are other 00's but only Bond is 007.
Oh right. It's 00. I forgot. Well now it's 007 apparently instead of just 00. Like Trey said does it really matter? They are not turning James Bond into a woman. They are just casting a woman as the next super spy in the series.

I don't see how this is an issue.

quickwhips

Jan 26, 2009
James Bond is still the lead and the protagonist. He retired from MI6, and this woman has his 007 designation now.
Ok so who is this made for? People who are fans of james bond want to see james bond fuck a hot chick and kick a bunch of ass.

Reactions: Elginer

Trey

Mar 3, 2010
Ok so who is this made for? People who are fans of james bond want to see james bond fuck a hot chick and kick a bunch of ass.
Both will most likely happen, like all the other Craig Bond films. New 007 will probably be similar to how Moneypenny was in Skyfall or Lea Seydoux character was in Spectre.

Nobody_Important

Gold Member
May 22, 2018
After look a little deeper this was done at the request of Daniel Craig who specifically asked for her because he is a big fan of hers.

She has been specifically requested by Daniel Craig, who plays 007, to bring her wit and quirkiness to the screenplay, the Observer has learned.

Craig, who lives in New York with his wife Rachel Weisz, is a fan of Fleabag, which reached the end of its second and probably last series on BBC1 last Monday, and also of Killing Eve, which Waller-Bridge developed.

So no this was not the studio trying to pander to SJWs. Daniel Craig was the driving force behind the decision.

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
Make a rational argument in kind, or talk to yourself. I can't do anything with this post.
Why would i talk to you? You're intentionally being intellectually disingenuous and maliciously dishonest. You're in a thread where they are taking one of the most iconic characters of all time and gender flipping for intersectionalist pander points.

You then smear anyone who tries to have this discussion as having their own "identity politics issues to unpack", aka a sly way of implying sexism.

It's disgusting and dishonest, and your slimy intersectionalist tactics deserve derision and shaming, not honest discussion since you're clearly not here to have that. You're here to set people off so you can show how us crazy fascists can't handle a female Bond, playing coy and acting like it ain't no deal while you wank off hoping Jane Bond will blow you.

Last edited:

OptimusApex

Formerly 'AfricanKing' ... purposely obtuse
Jul 16, 2017
You seem more concerned with identity politics than anyone else. What an ugly thread title.

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
After look a little deeper this was done at the request of Daniel Craig who specifically asked for her because he is a big fan of hers.

So no this was not the studio trying to pander to SJWs. Daniel Craig was the driving force behind the decision.
yeah, trust actors doing their media rounds. You realize they are paid to read scripts, right?

Trey

Mar 3, 2010
Why would i talk to you? You're intentionally being intellectually disingenuous and maliciously dishonest. You're in a thread where they are taking one of the most iconic characters of all time and gender flipping for intersectionalist pander points.

You then smear anyone who tries to have this discussion as having their own "identity politics issues to unpack", aka a sly way of implying sexism.

It's disgusting and dishonest, and your slimy intersectionalist tactics deserve derision and shaming, not honest discussion since you're clearly not here to have that. You're here to set people off so you can show how us crazy fascists can't handle a female Bond, playing coy and acting like it ain't no deal while you wank off hoping Jane Bond will blow you.
If you read the thread and the article in the OP, you would understand James Bond is still played Daniel Craig, he's still the lead and protagonist, and the woman in question is simply a supporting character who now has the 007 designation after Bond retired. There's no race or gender flipping. It's not a smear to call things what they are, like how I'm now saying you clearly don't know what you're talking about because you read the thread title (which was deliberately phrased that way to confuse people in the way you currently are), and seemingly nothing else.

Before you try to call me or anyone disgusting and dishonest, at least understand the matter at hand.

OptimusApex

Formerly 'AfricanKing' ... purposely obtuse
Jul 16, 2017

What do you think will happen in the James Bond Universe when he retires .. his code name gets passed on. It's a extension of the universe .

Reactions: Nobody_Important

MetalAlien

Formerly 'MetalAlien'
Mar 6, 2005
This is damn sure not the first time the 007 designation has been passed on. Funny that at the height of 2019 identity politics it gets passed on to a black woman.. Nope nothing to see here. She got the role because of her wit and acting skill alone... Yep that's exactly what happened. Daniel Craig didn't have any agenda in naming her either.... not at all.

Not my money... no sir.

Nobody_Important

Gold Member
May 22, 2018
What do you think will happen in the James Bond Universe when he retires .. his code name gets passed on. It's a extension of the universe .
You don't understand AK! It's a WOMAN in a James Bond movie and she is BLACK. This is a BIG DEAL because......it's a big deal because......look it's a big deal. You will just have to take my word for it.

Them Ess Jay Dubs can't keep getting away with this.

• LOL
Reactions: OptimusApex

Trey

Mar 3, 2010
I'm sure the revised thread title will give people more clarity on the topic than before.

finowns

May 10, 2009
When Ian Fleming said he didn’t want Idris Elba they were like f this guy.. lollll

Or who was it that didn’t want Idris Elba, Fleming is dead.

Last edited:
Reactions: #Phonepunk#

Fbh

Dec 6, 2013
Bond movies have sucked for a while anyway so who really cares. Let them try something new, maybe it works.

My only issue with this is that, IMO, she isn't hot. And Isn't being hot like half of what makes 007 be 007?

finowns

May 10, 2009
It's not a good one, that's for sure. I mean come on, it's SI... the hottest of the fucking hot babes in the world grace its cover.
I don’t think she’s an ugly women and I don’t know much about SI but it does have Sports in the title not Beauty.

MetalAlien

Formerly 'MetalAlien'
Mar 6, 2005
Why would it bomb? Because there is a new female character?

Have you ever seen a James Bond movie? lol
Well the way they word it it makes it seems like she is the star. Either way I'll read your review when the movie comes out. That's about as close as i'm getting to it.