• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Next 18 Months of Microsoft - The Calm Before the Storm (Massive Info Dump)

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Yep, they've had time and talk, now it's time for results.
I would rather their new studios take their time in making games then to rush and release games to satisfy console war forum posts in the internet.
Speaking of results, Ninja Theory's new IP will probably be shown this E3.

Braldryr

Banned
I would rather their new studios take their time in making games then to rush and release games to satisfy console war forum posts in the internet.
Speaking of results, Ninja Theory's new IP will probably be shown this E3.

Yes it will be as I've stated in the post.

Elenchus

Banned
Yep, they've had time and talk, now it's time for results.

So all of these Japanese games do not count because of...reasons??

Nintendo doesn’t get every third party Japanese release and misses many of the major ones (Sekiro being the most recent).

So this idea that MS’s Japanese support is any worse because it also misses some releases (almost none of which are the major AAA ones) makes no sense.

So Phil has delivered quite a bit already.

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

What 3 years? Studios were purchased last year or so, what are you talking about? Lol.

Right now they're all on a hiring spree..
Spencer has been in full charge for going on two years, and Microsoft has allegedly been righting the ship for at least that long.

How you guys can be so forgiving of a product you paid for with money you probably worked your ass off for is beyond me. I have their product, I gave them my money and I don't want any more excuses or bullshit. I want games. Now.

Braldryr

Banned
Spencer has been in full charge for going on two years, and Microsoft has allegedly been righting the ship for at least that long.

How you guys can be so forgiving of a product you paid for with money you probably worked your ass off for is beyond me. I have their product, I gave them my money and I don't want any more excuses or bullshit. I want games. Now.

No offense dude, but I don't think you know how this business works brother. You could say the same thing about PlayStation 3 when it first came out. How can you guys be so forgiving to Sony for giving you a $600 console with barely any games until late in the cycle and horrific multiplatform inferior releases? Lol.

Bernkastel

Donny was just caring out the orders from Ballmer and Nadella i.e. services. Not sure Phil is cleaning anything up, he is doing what he is told by Nadella, push everyone to services. The issue with that is consumers have limited uses for services in this regard, generally speaking.

Phil has a tough job, convince as many of the remaining Xbox users that Nadella doesn't exist. Nothing has changed and it won't change, Nadella will continue to cloudify the few remaining non-cloudified products.

They are a decade into this, Phil isn't cleaning up anything.

Don Matrick didn't report to Steve Balmer, but to Terry Myerson. Infact, Phil Spencer also reported to him until 2017(that's when he started talks for all his acquisitions), when Xbox was made a separate division
And few months later Windows Device group was dissolved into smaller divisions.
Microsoft was terribly mismanaged by Steve Balmer, who being a businessman himself only put other businessman like Terry Myerson and Don Matrick in-charge of everything who knew shit about the actual product they are managing. But now, Phil Spencer(a gamer himself) is in charge of gaming, Panos Panay(the guy who creates those Surface devices) is in charge of hardware and so on. Heck, unlike before the teams do not act separately but are actually way more open to each other.

There has been a major change in Microsoft management (in a good way). Unlike Balmer, Nadella has repeatedly shown his support for gaming by giving Phil all the support he needs

Revas

They should be aiming to recreate the 360 days of being the machine with the most and best games. Instead every year it's "we made this super powered machine with low support", and "we bought these studios". They've been treading water for about 3 years, since Phil righted the ship. And they still havent got real, proper, full on Japanese dev support.

It takes time to do things the right way. Super consoles with low support isn't really MS' calling card like you're describing.

DanielsM

Banned
Don Matrick didn't report to Steve Balmer, but to Terry Myerson. Infact, Phil Spencer also reported to him until 2017(that's when he started talks for all his acquisitions), when Xbox was made a separate division

Xbox was never a separate division within Microsoft, it was part of the "The Other Computing" division, now its not even in one division... its spread out over multiple divisions. Not sure what Donny not directly reporting to Ballmer has to do with anything, Microsoft has been transitioning into a cloud services company for a about a decade, and it will probably take another decade to finish up.

Donny was just doing what he was told as is Phil. Phil has a tough job, convince the remaining Xbox customers that Nadella doesn't exist. Microsoft will continue to cloudify their remaining products and transition those users over to cloud services over the next decade.

There has been a major change in Microsoft management (in a good way). Unlike Balmer, Nadella has repeatedly shown his support for gaming by giving Phil all the support he needs

Who said he didn't give Phil money, he finally did last year, but that is pretty much meaningless for Xbox as a Hardware. It might mean something for Xbox as a Service Platform, idk. To Nadella, the hardware devices are optional. He is running his mobile strategy over again i.e. smart phones, tablets, and watches. Nadella did not abandon the mobile market, on the contrary, he just ditched their own devices and now provide the services on multiple hardware platforms i.e. Android and iOS.

“I voted no,” Nadella writes. “I did not get why the world needed the third ecosystem in phones unless we changed the rules … But it was too late to regain the ground we had lost. We were chasing our competitors’ taillights.”

The differences between the Microsoft Band and Window Phone, is Xbox users can be moved to cloud services.... nobody needed a virtual phone, it doesn't make sense to have a virtual phone, but you can have a virtual Xbox.

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

No offense dude, but I don't think you know how this business works brother. You could say the same thing about PlayStation 3 when it first came out. How can you guys be so forgiving to Sony for giving you a $600 console with barely any games until late in the cycle and horrific multiplatform inferior releases? Lol.
Playstation 3 was a disaster, and I beat the fuck out of them every chance I got. Next point?

EDIT: my loyalty is to my wallet. You sell me a product that is inferior or doesn't live up to its potential, you better have damn good reasons for that happening. Thus far, Microsoft's reasons for the lack of content have been shit. "These things take time" has gotten real fucking old man.

Last edited:

Braldryr

Banned
Playstation 3 was a disaster, and I beat the fuck out of them every chance I got. Next point?

PlayStation 3 may have been a disaster but they made up later down the road within 8 years time and made it right with the PlayStation 4 and now the same thing is happening with Microsoft/Xbox.

I am pretty positive next gen they will be in a lot better shape. That is my point is that shit happens and you have to roll with the punches. Beating the fuck out of someone repeatedly is not gonna change anything or make things go quicker lol.

HeresJohnny

PlayStation 3 may have been a disaster but they made up later down the road within 8 years time and made it right with the PlayStation 4 and now the same thing is happening with Microsoft/Xbox.

I am pretty positive next gen they will be in a lot better shape. That is my point is that shit happens and you have to roll with the punches. Beating the fuck out of someone repeatedly is not gonna change anything or make things go quicker lol.
Think what it could have been. Think about all the wasted time waiting when it could have been a fitting successor to the PS2.

I don't have to roll with any punches. If you fuck up, and I don't think you're doing enough to not fuck up again or fast enough, I'm not giving you any more money. Microsoft has shown no contrition about their current standing. They've released hardware revisions that cost more than the mass market cares to pay and talked and talked and talked and made promised on how just you wait and see, it's gonna be so much better. 2 years under Spencer, what was in the pipes, NOTHING? How can you not have content after two years? What were they doing all this time? How much bigger of a FUCK YOU do you need from them?

Last edited:

Braldryr

Banned
Think what it could have been. Think about all the wasted time waiting when it could have been a fitting successor to the PS2.

I don't have to roll with any punches. If you fuck up, and I don't think you're doing enough to not fuck up again or fast enough, I'm not giving you any more money. Microsoft has shown no contrition about their current standing. They've released hardware revisions that cost more than the mass market cares to pay and talked and talked and talked and made promised on how just you wait and see, it's gonna be so much better. 2 years under Spencer, what was in the pipes, NOTHING? How can you not have content after two years? What were they doing all this time? How much bigger of a FUCK YOU do you need from them?

Wow. 😂😂😂😂😂

Bernkastel

Xbox was never a separate division within Microsoft, it was part of the "The Other Computing" division, now its not even in one division... its spread out over multiple divisions. Not sure what Donny not directly reporting to Ballmer has to do with anything, Microsoft has been transitioning into a cloud services company for a about a decade, and it will probably take another decade to finish up.

Donny was just doing what he was told as is Phil. Phil has a tough job, convince the remaining Xbox customers that Nadella doesn't exist. Microsoft will continue to cloudify their remaining products and transition those users over to cloud services over the next decade.

Who said he didn't give Phil money, he finally did last year, but that is pretty much meaningless for Xbox as a Hardware. It might mean something for Xbox as a Service Platform, idk. To Nadella, the hardware devices are optional. He is running his mobile strategy over again i.e. smart phones, tablets, and watches. Nadella did not abandon the mobile market, on the contrary, he just ditched their own devices and now provide the services on multiple hardware platforms i.e. Android and iOS.

The differences between the Microsoft Band and Window Phone, is Xbox users can be moved to cloud services.... nobody needed a virtual phone, it doesn't make sense to have a virtual phone, but you can have a virtual Xbox.
It seems like you always reply with the same template in every Xbox thread.

DanielsM

Banned
It seems like you always reply with the same template in every Xbox thread.

Why would it change from thread to thread, most of this was more or less set in stone years ago just like many of Microsoft's other products/services. Windows Phone was dead man walking for the same period of time, I would have told you Windows Phone was going to eventually die out 8+ years ago and exactly why. Microsoft is a cloud services company, the remaining products will be cloudified in part or mostly in whole.

The console warz are over and Microsoft as a consumer device maker (they never really were, but) is coming to an end, generally speaking. I would expect them to become more of a traditional publsiher and game developer at this point while trying to offer their services to everyone and their mother just like they do other tech companies. You guys are still fighting console warz that really don't exist, so you get mad. That doesn't mean that Microsoft can't make and release games, or provide some of their tools/services to other companies. Xbox users are actually kind of lucky (I guess for the time being) as Phil had to convince Nadella Xbox customers were important, if he wouldn't have done that he might as well left everyone out in the wind without support fairly quickly see Games for Windows Live, Windows Phone, Microsoft Band, Kinect, Groove Music (formerly Xbox Music), etc.

For me personally, if Microsoft can release good games that I might be interested in on my hardware platform of choice (interesting enough I still have two original Xboxes and two Xbox 360s hooked up righ t now in the house), I would look to possible be a customer, again, but I have no interest in cloud gaming or virtual xbox of any kind..... or anything to do with their Platform services.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Hello everyone,

It's that time of the year again (E3) but most importantly it's also the time of a new Powerful, Magical, and Thrilling Brand New Era of Video Games - A New Generation is upon us. While a new generation may be exciting and full of hype everywhere, it's also full of worry, concerns, expectations and many many questions that many of us here have and across the world of video game industry. Today is the day where I'd like to shine down some light and possibly let us have a peek into the future of what we can may or may not expect, what we may hope is true and not true and so on. However, this is also just the beginning, the road is going to be long, but I can assure you there is A LOT of CRAZY STUFF happening in the background.

Before we deep dive into the future I will make a quick disclaimer that things are always subject to change and I tell you may be happening today, may be changed tomorrow, in a week, a month or even a year and shifted around. I am by no means any sort of god or a fortune teller. I am just a person who... let's just say knows many people, some would rather argue that I know TOO MANY people.

I am going to be breaking this thread down into sections to avoid confusion and what is confirmed and not confirmed, what we may see soon and what we may not see soon and things like. The reason I am doing it in such a manner is because I don't want to lead people into FALSE HOPE or give people misinformation or a lie. However, sometimes in this type of work/field it is very hard to do these things perfectly, predict or be sure of and because of that I may come off not genuine to some people. But I assure you that that is NOT my intention here at all, I am only human just like all of you and we can all make mistakes or be misinformed ourselves.

I am not doing this for attention or anything like that, I am doing this because I love this industry and i love video games just as much as all you here - whether you're a Nintendo fan, Sony Fan, Xbox Fan or just a gamer in general who enjoys everything. There are people out there who are super anxious on wanting to know what's happening in the future (including myself) this is 100% for you guys and gals. Ok, I am done mumbling now, let's get to the nitty gritty.

Microsoft E3 2019 Media Briefing

What is Going to Happen - I will do this first - some of the things here are very obvious already to many people, but I am going to put them here anyway for clarity reasons and confirmation. (NOTE - THIS IS NOT IN ANY PARTICULAR ORDER OF THE SHOWCASE)

- Section Start -

Halo Infinite - Info Dump + New Trailer and Holiday 2020 Release (Cross-gen)
Gears 5 - Full Gameplay Reveal/Demo Walkthrough + Multiplayer and September Release Date is indeed real (I knew about this before the leak happened)
Gears Tactics - Info Dump + New Trailer and Release Date for PC Later this year
Ori and the WIll of the Wisps - Final trailer with final release date for Later this year
Bleeding Edge - Ninja's Theory next game (I am hearing 2 conflicting reports, 1 stating that it's a co-op horde-like Sci-fi shooter with aliens across different planets and intense boss fights and another that it's an arena multiplayer PvP game - have no 100% confirmation yet on what exactly it is. One thing for sure that it is indeed a game in a Sci-fi universe and most likely a cross-gen title as well for 2020)
The Outer Worlds - Info Dumb, New Gameplay Trailer and a Release Date
Cyberpunk 2077 - Progress Update/New Gameplay Trailer and a Targeted Date

Age of Empires IV - Info Dump/Gameplay Reveal- 2020 Release

Fable - This is nothing new or real secret at this point. Honestly, worst kept secret, this was leaked back in end of 2017/early 2018 on Eurogamer if I am not mistaken. It was said that Playgrounds is working on a Open World game and then later speculated that it was Fable. However, it was not confirmed if it was 100% Fable but rather just Open World RPG. Some people are hoping that it is not Fable and a brand new open world RPG IP and of course the Fable fans do want it to be Fable.

However, I can now confirm that it is indeed a Fable game. Some speculate it's actually Fable IV, but the reality is that it's a new beginning for the Fable franchise. This game started development in late 2017 and has been in development now for little over 2 years now. It is a next-gen game ONLY and you will most likely NOT see it until 2021 at retail at the earliest. You will see a glimpse of a small teaser trailer most likely at this year's E3 and in 2020 you will see much more of the game.

Sea of Thieves - Joe Neate and Mike Chapman confirmed in one of their recent dev updates on their official Sea of Thieves YouTube channel that they will be in teaser mode for the upcoming Sea of Thieves content at this year's E3.

Battletoads - They were announced last year with a 2019 release date. We will see some gameplay and finally see how the game looks, plays and feels along with a final release target as well.

Project xCloud - Info Dump, Public Test Dates/Rollouts - This will be Microsoft's one of the biggest if not the biggest focus this year prior to next-gen system launches. This is where we will be helping them get ready for a solid year or so before new systems get out in the wild.

Xbox Lockhart/Xbox Anaconda - Scorpio style reveal (Similar to E3 2016's Scorpio/Xbox One X Tease) No physical look of the console, but a baseline of specs including tFlops, Ram, Bandwidth, CPU, SSD and of course Ray-tracing - this is considered a small reveal. Full reveal most likely next year, we're still a year and a half of from the launch of new-gen system and there are still many 3rd party and 1st party title to come out yet on current gen systems, but yes the tease and the obvious semi-reveal at this point is well on its way.

It's Going to be a BIG Party - With Microsoft being the only console manufacturer that's holding a physical E3 conference this year - expect A LOT of NEW 3rd Party Stuff.

- Section End -

What Has a High Chance of Happening (Alright, this is where stuff gets interesting these are things that i'd like to consider rather high probability of happening based on what i heard/saw/conversations had - None of this is confirmed, so take it with a grain of salt)

- Section Start -

MechAssault/Mech Game - Reveal (Microsoft owns the right to MechAssault, for those who do not know. There is a VERY high chance that a new mech game has been in the works and it will be finally revealed here)

Next Forza Motorsport - Reveal (It's been a while since Turn 10 has showcased anything and this year they're skipping Forza most likely to release with next-gen systems next year as a 1st party next-gen racing experience. Very good chance of a tease/reveal)

Capcom Next Big Title - Reveal (Every year and every E3 and honestly this whole generation Capcom has been on an insane roll of satisfying their fans and fulfilling their dreams. Shortly after the release of Resident Evil 2 Remake - rumors of Resident Evil 8 and Resident Evil 3 Remake started to pop around all over the web. However, Capcom has also other titles under their belt and they've recently said that Dead Rising is still an important franchise to them to this day.

While I do not know which game it may be exactly that there are revealing. I do know that they're going to be doing what the fans want and yes they also never ever denied the existence of Dino Crisis and stated not too long ago on their official twitter that they would love to do it depending on how bad the fans want it - here is the link to the tweet. So the story with Capcom is, they're open to many things and the question is rather when to reveal what and where.

I personally doubt it Resident Evil 8, I believe that's still early and if anything Resident Evil 3 Remake will come first as far as the release schedule goes. Now is it Dead Rising 5 or Dino Crisis Reboot? That's really hard to say, Dead Rising has a strong Xbox history, so I could see this as something either for end of 2020 as another launch title or they might want to shock everyone with a Dino Crisis tease (Similar to how they did with DMC 5 last year and Monster Hunter: World in 2017 @ Sony's Conference) or who knows, maybe they're working on something completely new and unexpected)

More Japanese Games/Teams - Last year's E3 Microsoft had quite a lot of Japanese developers at their stage. I expect more of the same this year with a few surprises as well.

- Section End -

What Has a Small Possibility of Happening (Far future projects, tiny chances of being teased either here or most likely next year)

Next-gen Rare IP - According to what I been hearing, the next IP from Rare was described as "If you enjoy a game like Sea of Thieves, then you will be looking forward to their next project" - What do I make of this? Well, this is a tough one, because I am very well aware and I am sure most of you as well that Rare is indeed a much larger company now than they were before and that they have multiple teams working on new projects as we speak.

However, it comes down to this - do we want to see everything Microsoft has to offer? Of course we do. Is it a smart idea for them to do that? Absolutely not, as I've said previously we're still a year and a half away from Next-Gen launch and I believe that this is something I'd rather see at next year's E3. There is a chance of this happening at this year as well, but I honestly highly doubt that it will. Fable, New Capcom Title, Halo Infinite, Forza Motorsport, Mech Game, and other 3rd party surprises that they have up their sleeve honestly should be more than enough for them and for us until next year's E3 imo.

Perfect Dark Reboot - Reboot of the franchise but this time in 3rd person view as opposed to 1st person - not being developed by Rare but supervised by Rare (Remember, Rare DOES NOTwork on old IPs anymore, they hand them over to other studios/teams - Battletoads is an example of that - it's being developed by Dlala Studios under the supervision of Rare as far as I am concerned. This a game you 100% won't see for a long time, but it's happening most likely next year.

Xbox Game Studios

I know of 3 Studios that have been approached at some point in time either for an offer or an actual acquisition that's currently being processed

Approached/Being Purchased

IO Interactive -
Rumors about this started to float around end of last year. Also, apparently not too long ago a letter of intent was already given a few months ago to this particular studio according to some sources. The weird thing is though, IO Interactive actually expanded and did open up a new office in a different country earlier this year in January - so I am kind of confused on what's actually happening with them at the moment or if the source even correct and not misinformed.

Relic Entertainment - Microsoft is speaking to them, they want a studio dedicated to RTS games and they're also the ones making Age of Empires IV for them exclusively as well at the moment. However, Sega is a bit of a barricade at the moment)

Asobo - I don't know much about this studio myself, but heard from sources that they're in the talks

If any of the studios actually do end up getting purchase, I am not sure if all of them would be announced at E3, but I would assume so from personal speculation that it would be the best place to do it if everything goes according to plan. Remember purchases like these are a huge undertaking, take time and may also fall through at the last moment as well for whatever unknown reasons - this is my personal take on that.

Not Happening

2 Studios that I know for a fact that are NOT being purchased/approached

CD Projekt Red
Creative Assembly

There was some speculation around the fans that these 2 particular studios are being approached or talked with for a possible acquisition, that is NOT the case and will NOT be happening.

Rumored

Bluepointe
- Studio that has a long history with Sony. They're mainly responsible for the recently released Shadow of the Colossus Remaster (which I would actually consider a remake honestly, because its extremely well done) Nathan Drake Collection and couple of other very well received ports/remasters. Bluepointe are gifted when it comes to remastering or re-creating certain experiences. Last I heard is that they are currently working on Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater Remaster. However, Microsoft is indeed apparently talking to a Studio that has a strong history with Sony in the past, this particular studio has been rumored a lot across many forums, websites and so on. I personally have not heard anything from my end of things as far as Bluepointe being purchased or approached so I have 0 say, but I can give you my opinion.

I think it would be a fantastic purchase for Microsoft if they do want to have a studio that's dedicated to remastering/remaking certain titles. Microsoft is sitting on a lot of old IPs such as Blinx The Time Sweeper, Conker, Banjo and so on. Many fans have been begging for these games to return in some shape or form and Bluepointe would be the perfect candidate for such a mission.

Platinum Games - This is a very complicated situation. So what actually happened with Platinum games is that during the development of Scalebound Platinum Games was also developing 3 other titles at the same time and think that they could also handle Scalebound as well. Well actually, they ended up failing miserably and kept missing their deadlines and they game did not Microsoft's expectations on both deadline and technical levels. Therefore, Microsoft fired them off the contract and let them go due to their irresponsibility and mismanagement.

Now recently, Platinum Games came out and defended Microsoft after such a long time has passed. It's quite odd that all of a sudden they come out and defend them. But maybe time has just passed and they had the time to think about what happened and wanted to say sorry to the fans and admit to them that it wasn't really Microsoft's fault to why the game never became a final product. Right now, Platinum games is currently working on Babylon Fall for the PlayStation 4 and PC. Despite their bad relationship and breakup over Scalebound they did put out Nier Automata last year and showcased it for the Xbox One X at last year's E3. So maybe the relationship is not that bad as far as business goes? You see. These things are very complex and we will never know what's happening behind the curtains.

This studio is also rumored for purchase simply because Microsoft had an exclusive title being developed for their system and also because Platinum is known to be a very interesting developer with very unique and fun games that fill a certain niche and of course its a Japanese studio. We also all know that there is a Japanese studio that is being approached right now for purchased as well. Could this be one of them? I personally have no idea or any kind of information in regards to Platinum Games, I can only speculate which is what I am doing here.

4A Games
- Russian/Ukraine Developer of the ever-loving Metro franchise. Metro started its strong marketing and fan building since the Xbox 360 days. 4A Games has a long history of working with Microsoft - I would NOT be very surprised if this studio does get purchased at some point in time. Phil has stated many times that they want studios across the world from different countries to add diversity of different art-forms and of course cultures.

- Section End -

This is it folks. But before i leave you will probably ask me who am I or if I am Krobrille because apparently a rumor started going around about that and I will tell you right now I am NOT Krobrille. Who am I then? As I stated previously a person who knows people and some would say too many people both in person and over the web.. (Yes one of those Studios is not around anymore unfortunately, Rest in Pepperonis :( )

If you have questions for the Q and A please DM them to me :)

Have a good E3. Time for bed.

Not gonna comment on the rumormongering, but you do understand that posting a bunch of business cards (why? for validation? Getting business cards of pretty much anyone in the industry is incredibly easy and doesn't really validate anything) with names and all points a giant spotlight in the face of those people, and in the case you happened to get something right, seriously risks to put them in trouble, getting suspected by their employers of having leaked that information?

So much for loving the industry. Usually, people "in the know" also know how to protect their sources.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

The acquisitions didn’t start until Matt Booty became head of Xbox a year ago tho.

Too many folks like to hang off Phil’s dick thinking he did it all when it was his tenure that lead to shutting down a half dozen or so internal studios. Matt is cleaning up Phil’s mess.

Braldryr

Banned
The acquisitions didn’t start until Matt Booty became head of Xbox a year ago tho.

Too many folks like to hang off Phil’s dick thinking he did it all when it was his tenure that lead to shutting down a half dozen or so internal studios. Matt is cleaning up Phil’s mess.

What mess did Phil make if you don't mind going into detail?

Elenchus

Banned

Comes a time at a restaurant when you have to decide to eat the meal presented or to head back to the parking lot to drive to another establishment.

You sir have arrived at that point. Play the available content or sell the console. Either way, STFU. You’re spoiling the dining experience of the other customers.

Thanks 👍

bitbydeath

Software.
Don failed on hardware but performed well on software.
Phil failed on software but performed well on hardware.

It was also Phil who moved Xbox gaming to SAAS stating single player games were too hard to profit from.

DanielsM

Banned

He really didn't make a mess but he didn't exactly clean anything up either, Nadella is the cloud boy and he is calling the shots. Nobody (generally speaking) really wants to hear about Microsoft's cloud crap as far as consumer gaming. I'll probably turn on Microsoft's E3 show, but the first time I hear the "cloud this" or "cloud that", I'm out. Phil has a tough job, keep the users moving to cloud services without them knowing about it in full, but he isn't helping... he's following orders.

If Microsoft wants to release new good games on more hardware platforms, I am all ears especially my platforms of choice. What I don't want to hear is Xbox as a Platform Service, xCloud as a Streaming Service and Xbox as a Hardware.

Just my take. If Microsoft wants me and others to buy their products, they need to come back from where they are, imo.

Braldryr

Banned
Software.
Don failed on hardware but performed well on software.
Phil failed on software but performed well on hardware.

It was also Phil who moved Xbox gaming to SAAS stating single player games were too hard to profit from.

Hmmm..... interesting.

I'll have to look into that.

bitbydeath

Hmmm..... interesting.

I'll have to look into that.

“The audience for those big story-driven games… I won’t say it isn’t as large, but they’re not as consistent,” says Spencer. “You’ll have things like Zelda or Horizon Zero Dawn that’ll come out, and they’ll do really well, but they don’t have the same impact that they used to have because the big service-based games are capturing such a large amount of the audience. Sony’s first-party studios do a lot of these games, and they’re good at them, but outside of that, it’s difficult – they’re become more rare; it’s a difficult business decision for those teams, you’re fighting into more headwind.”

Isa

Gold Member
EDIT - I am dumb, just saw the bloodborne part lol.

Dark Souls II was garbage and I think that was made by the B team right? I know Miyazaki did not direct Dark Souls II which was one of the bigger reasons why it was poo poo.

The C team is the DLC team if I recall correctly. Have they grown since then and added another? I haven't been keeping tabs on them honestly.

So who's up next the B team?

Sorry, it's been a long time.

Ouch baby, very ouch. DS 2 is my fave by far, followed closely by Demon's Souls. I guess its true the 'ol adage about one man's treasure...

I'd love another MechAssault title though. Any ideas or whatnot on Nintendo?

Everything sounds plausible but about that that P* rumor...I hope it fake and it doesn't happen.
I mean. I'm always glad when some company gives those guys some work but they seriously need keep their distance from Microsoft Studios after the mess that was Scalebound (still hoping it will come back as a Switch title).

64bitbros

So you let Ninja Theory, known for their strong narative single player experience, make a multiplayer game?

Ok.....

NahaNago

Outside of the Capcom thing this conference seems kind of normal for Microsoft. I do find this pretty weird since I would think most of the third party games would show up at this conference. Thanks for the interesting possible Microsoft peek.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

So you let Ninja Theory, known for their strong narative single player experience, make a multiplayer game?

Ok.....
Who said they are making multiplayer game ?
Its, a game about melee combat, like those classic beat em' ups in a AAA format.

Braldryr

Banned
Outside of the Capcom thing this conference seems kind of normal for Microsoft. I do find this pretty weird since I would think most of the third party games would show up at this conference. Thanks for the interesting possible Microsoft peek.

I honestly think that E3 2020 will be a lot more interesting than this year's E3 due to simple fact that that will be launch year of new gen consoles and it's the time where most companies will really start showing a lot of their big guns. New gen is unfortunately, always a slow start. You don't see the big titles until like 2 years in sadly.

Romulus

I get what you're saying and I do agree with you for the most part. But you also have to realize Don Mattrick left a huge mess and screwed them over this gen. Phil is left cleaning up his mess. Yeah it's taking a while, but it's starting to get there. I think come launch next year and 2021 Microsoft will be in a much better shape.

The super powered machine came late in the generation. Both of the consoles PS4 and Xbox One were already severely underpowered as it is when they launched in 2013. This gen is very awkward and strange in many ways for both of them despite Sony having major success.

As for Japanese support I think last year was a decent showcase and we have yet too see what is the Japanese studio they are purchasing. I think you need to give it a bit more time. I am tired of waiting myself self as well, but you just gotta accept it for what it is and things are starting too look much brighter for them than it did 2 years ago imo.

It's not going to happen by 2021. We may have the same old gears, halo, forza by then but that's been the huge complaint for 10 years.

I think most of us could care less why its happened, it just is. Sony is the safe bet if someone wants a unique lineup of exclusives. Not only that, how many of these MS exclusives will be on PC?

I'm a big MS fan, been there since day one of the OG xbox. This is their first machine I won't be buying day one, even if they bring 100% more power at a reasonable price and even if E3 shows all sorts of new experiences coming. I just dont trust them anymore. All these years of watching E3 trailers, rumors of supposed new games coming to Xbox, meanwhile I'm actually playing them on ps4. My backlog of ps4/psvr exclusives is more interesting than whatever MS has planned through 2022, I guarantee that.

Thats another point, I doubt MS will be able to compete with psvr2 exclusives next gen. Astrobot, Wipeout, even exclusives VR games like RE7 are better than anything I've ever experienced on a MS platform, and it just came out a little over 2 years ago. It won't stop either considering CPU grunt is a huge point for VR and ps4 was handicapped there.

Braldryr

Banned
It's not going to happen by 2021. We may have the same old gears, halo, forza by then but that's been the huge complaint for 10 years.

I think most of us could care less why its happened, it just is. Sony is the safe bet if someone wants a unique lineup of exclusives. Not only that, how many of these MS exclusives will be on PC?

I'm a big MS fan, been there since day one of the OG xbox. This is their first machine I won't be buying day one, even if they bring 100% more power at a reasonable price and even if E3 shows all sorts of new experiences coming. I just dont trust them anymore. All these years of watching E3 trailers, rumors of supposed new games coming to Xbox, meanwhile I'm actually playing them on ps4. My backlog of ps4/psvr exclusives is more interesting than whatever MS has planned through 2022, I guarantee that.

Thats another point, I doubt MS will be able to compete with psvr2 exclusives next gen. Astrobot, Wipeout, even exclusives VR games like RE7 are better than anything I've ever experienced on a MS platform, and it just came out a little over 2 years ago. It won't stop either considering CPU grunt is a huge point for VR and ps4 was handicapped there.

Hmm fair enough at this point honestly it's to each his own. As a gamer I'll be rocking both for different reasons personally.

Romulus

Hmm fair enough at this point honestly it's to each his own. As a gamer I'll be rocking both for different reasons personally.

I would too if I didn't know a huge % of their games will be on PC. And that's the other thing, I have a fair amount of time to play games but I still have a backlog. I just see it extremely difficult for MS to shift any of Sony exclusives aside in order for me to make time for them, but even in the rare case that happens, I can play it on PC more than likely.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
I would too if I didn't know a huge % of their games will be on PC. And that's the other thing, I have a fair amount of time to play games but I still have a backlog. I just see it extremely difficult for MS to shift any of Sony exclusives aside in order for me to make time for them, but even in the rare case that happens, I can play it on PC more than likely.

I would expect more and more of their titles to be playable on PC either through Steam/Other or Microsoft Store like they are doing with Halo, although the Microsoft Store is dead man walking btw, avoid like the plague, if possible.

Last edited:

Xmengrey

Will we see anything on the PC side like what is Game Core?
How about Game Pass on PC?
Will we see something about Xbox 360, and Xbox OG BC on Windows 10 that Phil Spencer was talking about.

Xmengrey

Insider info in Neogaf? Are my eyes deceiving me??
I'm honestly surprised. Its been a while since the exodus since an insider would share info here(if true).
I think he's someone that does research on these things not entirely an insider but I'm not so sure so far I see nothing on the PC side of things here which Phil Spencer out right stated.

Project xCloud, meanwhile, is Microsoft’s upcoming game streaming technology. Unveiled in October, it runs on devices paired with an Xbox wireless controller via Bluetooth, or it’s playable using touch input. Spencer said xCloud is coming to PC “in a much bigger way this year.”

“[We’re] doing some things we had been talking about for a while for real on PC this year,” he said. “And this is a year where it’s not strategy, it’s we’re gonna roll up our sleeves and show.”

Game Pass stuff is confirmed
Now it's just for the Xbox 360 Emulation, and Xbox Original Emulation which may also lead into Xbox One Emulation as well but that's speculation so far.

Top Bottom