• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Next 18 Months of Microsoft - The Calm Before the Storm (Massive Info Dump)

Braldryr

Banned
Halo Infinite is releasing next year. And they already had a full team working on it when they announced.
Playground Games second studio is not even 100 people yet(they want it to be 200 people) and they are still in pre-production. Phil said they dont want to reveal or tease a game 4-5 years before actual release.

The setting of Fable prevents it from being an open world. But Playground Games project is open world.
Here are some stuffs from the ArtStation profile of Vaigintas Pakenis (Concept Artist at Playground Games)
Title : Summit
vaigintas-pakenis-summit.jpg

vaigintas-pakenis-summit-wips.jpg

The pic is definitely not Fable. This is an open world project inspired from Fable.
You are like Crapgamer who also said that "He is an insider". Lets be honest, you compiled stuffs already posted from the other site with your own wishlist. If nothing from Playground Games second team is announced this E3, I will forever haunt you in this site if you ever call yourself "insider".

Hahahaha that's fine with me dude. Please do hunt me. I don't mind.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
This doesn't have to be art for the new game, they also have SciFi stuff from around the same date .. possibly it's part of the portfolio that got them hired for "historical RPG" - I'd tend to doubt that they are allowed to post current project concept art (yet)..
That historical RPG is not from Playground Games, but supposed to be from Obsidian's Josh Sawyer and its probably not even their next project(under Josh Sawyer), which has already started.

This will come 1-2 years after Playground Games project, but its not the historical RPG similar to Darklands and Ars Magica that Josh Sawyer wanted to work on.
There isn’t a historical RPG in production at Obsidian, but it’s something I’m continuing to push for.
Chris Avellone raged on RPGCodex that apparently Obsidian wants to turn Pillars of Eternity into an action RPG and I am ok with it. A historical RPG with a Game of Thrones like setting(not season 8) will take years of planning, in the meantime they can work on a setting they have already established.

Last edited:

SavageSquirtle

Neo Member
This doesn't have to be art for the new game, they also have SciFi stuff from around the same date .. possibly it's part of the portfolio that got them hired for "historical RPG" - I'd tend to doubt that they are allowed to post current project concept art (yet)..
I second this statement. No artist who's concerned for his/her career would upload concept art of an unannounced project onto ArtStation.

Giacomino1984

Neo Member
As a big fan of AOE franchise i've two questions for you:

1) how many chances about Relic acquisition

2) do you have any info on AOE4 setting?

thief183

I think Microsoft has a good opportunity to show off what they are going towards with the next xbox (as a platform, not as a console) and for some reason I'm an happy PC Gamer.

Braldryr

Banned
As a big fan of AOE franchise i've two questions for you:

1) how many chances about Relic acquisition

2) do you have any info on AOE4 setting?

I think the chances are quite high considering they're already working on an exclusive title. Microsoft is trying to cover every genre possible with Xbox Game Studios.

343 Industries (FPS)
The Coalition (Third Person Action)
Turn 10 (Racing Simulator)
Playground Games (Open World Games and Arcade Racing)
Obsidian (Old school PC-Like Hardcore RPGs)
Rare (New IPs/Games as a Service)
Undead Labs (Zombie Games)
Ninja Theory (Story based games and Crazy intense Action Games)

Relic Entertainment fits perfectly right in as the RTS studio.

No, don't know anything on AoE 4

Last edited:

SavageSquirtle

Neo Member
I think the chances are quite high considering they're already working on an exclusive title. Microsoft is trying to cover every genre possible with Xbox Game Studios.

343 Industries (FPS)
The Coalition (Third Person Action)
Turn 10 (Racing Simulator)
Playground Games (Open World Games and Arcade Racing)
Obsidian (Old school PC-Like Hardcore RPGs)
Rare (New IPs/Games as a Service)
Undead Labs (Zombie Games)
Ninja Theory (Story based games and Crazy intense Action Games)

Relic Entertainment fits perfectly right in as the RTS studio.

No, don't know anything on AoE 4
In your opinion, what's the likelihood that we'll see new IPs from both 343i and The Coalition sometime next-gen? Both studios have expanded considerably over the past year and it would be awesome if they had "B teams" working on new projects. IIRC, wasn't there a rumor about The Coalition working on a horror title?

Also, which studio do you think will be handling the Perfect Dark Reboot? I recall seeing a Creative Assembly job listing that mentioned "sci-fi, first person gameplay, and stealth mechanics". I doubt it's related though.

Last edited:

Braldryr

Banned
In your opinion, what's the likelihood that we'll see new IPs from both 343i and The Coalition sometime next-gen? Both studios have expanded considerably over the past year and it would be awesome if they had "B teams" working on new projects. IIRC, wasn't there a rumor of The Coalition working on a horror title?

Also, which studio do you think will be handling the Perfect Dark Reboot? I recall reading a Creative Assembly job listing that mentioned "sci-fi, first person gameplay, and stealth mechanics". I doubt it's related though.

Perfect Dark Reboot if I had to guess/assume I think The Coalition. Out of all the studios they have the most Third Person Action experience as far as development goes after so many Gears of War titles and plus it would be an excellent new fresh project for them to work under Rare's supervision.

I think 343i will be way to busy with providing live service updates for Halo Infinite throughout the years unless they get another dedicated team going for something else.

Last edited:

urmie

I disagree on the Forza 8 teaser/reveal. Dan Greenawalt only just stated (March) that they are shifting their "weight" towards the next game. No way they have anything ready for E3.
I see Forza Horizon 4 Expansion pack 2 as the "Forza reveal" for E3, nothing more.

FM8 will definitely be a launch title for the next Xbox. I could see them flipping the 8 over to the infinity symbol, to market it in line like Halo Infinite. (if they want to stop numbered titles and transition Forza Motorsport into a continuous loop of updates like Gran Turismo Sport is now)

Link: https://www.gtplanet.net/turn-10-is-transitioning-its-weight-to-next-forza-project/

Braldryr

Banned
I disagree on the Forza 8 teaser/reveal. Dan Greenawalt only just stated (March) that they are shifting their "weight" towards the next game. No way they have anything ready for E3.
I see Forza Horizon 4 Expansion pack 2 as the "Forza reveal" for E3, nothing more.

FM8 will definitely be a launch title for the next Xbox. I could see them flipping the 8 over to the infinity symbol, to market it in line like Halo Infinite. (if they want to stop numbered titles and transition Forza Motorsport into a continuous loop of updates like Gran Turismo Sport is now)

Link: https://www.gtplanet.net/turn-10-is-transitioning-its-weight-to-next-forza-project/

You might be right on this one. Let's change that up then.

I'll update the original post and give you credit. Thanks for updating me on this one.

Alebrije

Does Halo and Gears are still a big thing for MS consumers/consoles? we are at the begining of a new generation so if those franchises are still the best MS can offert is sad.

I want MS to move to new AAA exclusive IPs like Sony did on PS4. that is the future not just reliing on old IPs. So I really hope MS brings fresh new IPs that success because this generation they were bland :

Braldryr

Banned
Does Halo and Gears are still a big thing for MS consumers/consoles? we are at the begining of a new generation so if those franchises are still the best MS can offert is sad.

I want MS to move to new AAA exclusive IPs like Sony did on PS4. that is the future not just reliing on old IPs. So I really hope MS brings fresh new IPs that success because this generation they were bland :

Gears and Halo are Microsofts equivalent of The Last of Us/Uncharted/God of War for sony.

Fable is coming back so now the 3 core franchises are Gears/Halo/Fable.

The new studio purchases and Xbox Game Studios as a whole will be the ones responsible for delivering new and innovative IPs. Particulary The Initiative, Ninja Theory and so on. Rare is also another studio that focuses on new IPs. Microsoft is well aware of lack of new and fresh IPs, hence why they started taking action with Xbox Game Studios.

DanielsM

Banned
Gears and Halo are Microsofts equivalent of The Last of Us/Uncharted/God of War for sony.

Gears and Halo are Microsoft's equivalent of Battlefield and Madden for EA(i.e. multi-platform publisher going forward, generally speaking). - Fixed for correctness

Last edited:

CyberPanda

Banned
Gears, Halo, Uncharted, The Last of US, God of War, Zelda, Mario are all IP's created to make $$$ - Fixed for correctness.

DanielsM

Banned
Gears, Halo, Uncharted, The Last of US, God of War, Zelda, Mario are all IP's created to make $$$ - Fixed for correctness.

Aren't all IPs? Not sure anyone creates them to lose money on purpose, but stranger things have occur.

At this point, Microsoft is the equivalent of any other big publisher that doesn't have a digital store front (well, I sure hope you guys haven't been buying off the Microsoft Store), so I am not sure I would even compare them to EA, they'll have to figure out and compete on the open market and others companies stores / platforms going forward. I wouldn't mind taking a look (at their games again) but they need to get out of their own backyard to ever get a serious look, Halo Steam release is a good start.

Last edited:

Braldryr

Banned
Gears and Halo are Microsoft's equivalent of Battlefield and Madden for EA(i.e. multi-platform publisher going forward, generally speaking). - Fixed for correctness

Oh shit you are 100% right. I forgot that Gears and Halo get released every year and then servers for the previous year get shut down. Damn, my research must have been pretty of lately. Brb gonna fo brush up. Thanks for the help :)

DanielsM

Banned
Oh shit you are 100% right. I forgot that Gears and Halo get released every year and then servers for the previous year get shut down. Damn, my research must have been pretty of lately. Brb gonna fo brush up. Thanks for the help :)

Well, you have a point there.... I don't buy EA games for that reason and many more. :) If Microsoft is to actually sell things, they'll have to compete i.e. sell games people want on multiple platforms and store fronts. If they want to talk about games on my platform of choice, I'm all ears if they have something interesting.... the whole Xbox as a Platform Service or Game as a Service or Xbox as a Hardware... no thanks. Games, yes, anything else, no.

The first time I hear, "we're making a platform", "we're making a service", "we're making yet another digital store front", etc..... I turn off their e3 presentation. Nadella needs to have a serious discussion with Phil.

Games :messenger_horns:
Service or Platform 👎
Hardware 👎👎

If I hear, "we're going to release the most powerful console created since our last most powerful console created".... I turn off the presentation. They have no future there.

Last edited:

Kacho

Gold Member
Bonus

So if I have the story straight, this guy originally posted on GAF, got banned when Evilore discovered he wasn’t an insider, went to Era, got vERAfied, got ousted for being a fraud, banned, and now he’s back on GAF doing the same tired bit?

This guy is approaching Pete Dodd levels of buffoonery. 😂

Braldryr

Banned
Thanks for the info OP. At least Microsoft is finally bringing some 1st/2nd party games. That's all I wanted from them. I hope Battletoads is good, hope Fable is good, and I hope these games aren't all GaaS.

I think Battletoads will look, play and feel awesome. Pretty excited myself too see how that game ends up being. It was also part of my childhood.

Braldryr

Banned
Looks like From Software potential New game announcement is indeed real according to Nibel and other sources like Gametsu will be adding it to the High Chance of happening list.

So if I have the story straight, this guy originally posted on GAF, got banned when Evilore discovered he wasn’t an insider, went to Era, got vERAfied, got ousted for being a fraud, banned, and now he’s back on GAF doing the same tired bit?

This guy is approaching Pete Dodd levels of buffoonery. 😂

Hahahahahaha Pete Dodd. My gosh, I miss that guy. Infinite laughs.

pimentel1

Banned
This thread has been picked up on:

BGR:

Ubergizmo:

Gamepur:

Braldryr Braldryr famous.

Last edited:

This thread has been picked up on:

BGR:

Ubergizmo:

Gamepur:

Braldryr Braldryr famous.

gaf > internet > soon to be gaf

Braldryr

Banned
I mean Sony isnt different either... Another God of War, another Gran Turismo...
Sony isnt any different... there is probably even going to be more Uncharted and TloU games

Quoted for the truth. I personally have no issues with either. It's what both companies are known for and built their brand off. Sure ifs always nice too see new things and I think going forward with Microsoft and even Sony there will be plenty of new IPs to be experienced and ventured into.

Hello!
Is there any chance that Microsoft will release new games like Gears 5 and new Forza in Steam?

Hard to tell. Its difficult to comprehend how they even come to these decisions. Like, why something like MCC goes on steam, but not everything else.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Hard to tell. Its difficult to comprehend how they even come to these decisions. Like, why something like MCC goes on steam, but not everything else.
I think it's like the "canary in a coal mine" deal. If it makes an appropriate amount of money they'll do it again. I doubt they'll do day-1 releases, though.

Teslerum

That historical RPG is not from Playground Games, but supposed to be from Obsidian's Josh Sawyer and its probably not even their next project(under Josh Sawyer), which has already started.

Just to interject here: This doesn't have to be the same/one project (Nor the hystorical rpg). As of writing this there are at least 2 unannounced projects, otherwise the Leads/Directors at the studio don't count up anymore.

Not to mention one of those could end up being a smaller game/DLC.

(In fact I'm somewhat sure the one Kates on isn't necessarly the one started late last year.)

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Just to interject here: This doesn't have to be the same/one project (Nor the hystorical rpg). As of writing this there are at least 2 unannounced projects, otherwise the Leads/Directors at the studio don't count up anymore.

Not to mention one of those could end up being a smaller game/DLC.

(In fact I'm somewhat sure the one Kates on isn't necessarly the one started late last year.)
Tim Cain does not do mythological/historical stuffs. And I think you ignored my Tumblr link, where he said a historical RPG is something he wants but it's not in works. Most importantly, that ArtStation profile was from a guy who works at Playground Games, why would he design concept art for Obsidian ?

Teslerum

Tim Cain does not do mythological/historical stuffs. And I think you ignored my Tumblr link, where he said a historical RPG is something he wants but it's not in works. Most importantly, that ArtStation profile was from a guy who works at Playground Games, why would he design concept art for Obsidian ?

I think we have a misunderstanding here. (I also don't get how we ended up at Tim Cain)

I was replying to this specifically

and its probably not even their next project(under Josh Sawyer), which has already started. + Dollarhyde tweet

And my intent was just to clarify that there are most likely multiple projects by Obsidian in the works.

On that note, here's a short list of current (confirmed) Directors at Obsidian

Tim Cain & Leonard Boyarsky - Outer Worlds

Unknown Projects:

Chris Parker (Semi-recently changed Linkedin to Game Director, would go hand in hand with the owners remark that with less duties they get back into Game Development)
Adam Brennecke (His project started in September last year)
Matthew Perez (Januar 2019, changed his Linkedin around the same time that Kate Dollarhyde put her tweet out, so may be the same project).

Last edited:

Raph64

Looks like they’re might be something Perfect Dark-related set to be announced soon.

2 interesting things to notice here :

- It has been retweeted by Rare
- It is under licence by Xbox Game Studios

And of course there was Walmart’s leak from last year listing a new Perfect Dark game. Nothing happened, but most of the other leaked games turned out to be real

Braldryr

Banned
Looks like they’re might be something Perfect Dark-related set to be announced soon.

2 interesting things to notice here :

- It has been retweeted by Rare
- It is under licence by Xbox Game Studios

And of course there was Walmart’s leak from last year listing a new Perfect Dark game. Nothing happened, but most of the other leaked games turned out to be real

Totaku is just a company that makes figurine statues. They obviously have to get the rights from respective owners to create these things.

They also have other Rare characters as well such as Banjo and even Nintendo's Splatoon. I do not think you should read too much into this personally. It's just most likely a concidence that this was announced prior to E3 and was planned long ago.

Last edited:

Raph64

Totaku is just a company that makes figurine statues. They obviously have to get the rights from respective owners to create these things.

They also have other Rare characters as well. I do not think you should read too much into this personally.

Yeah, you’re probably right.

Anyway, interested to see what Rare is eventually planning to do with all their dormant IPs in the future.

Braldryr

Banned
Yeah, you’re probably right.

Anyway, interested to see what Rare is eventually planning to do with all their dormant IPs in the future.

Rare is not doing anything with their dormant IPs themselves and I know this first hand. They're a new IP studio/factory specifically. They will only let other Studios create games based on their old IPs under their supervision which is what's going on with Battletoads first and then most likely Perfect Dark.

Bernkastel

So, it seems like some journalist thought this is some legit leak.

I told you this guy is no insider. Unless this guy thinks he has more credibility than Klobrille and Jez.

Last edited:
''i know things but i wont tell trrust me im insider follow me on twitter instagran and facebook''

The guy gets invited to see this type of stuff early literally every year just like the guys from ign, gamespot, giantbomb etc do. Its not exactly out of the realm of possibility that hes already seen some games from that showcase thats literally only 2 weeks away.

Top Bottom