• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The next- and new-gen RPG preview megathread

Especially after TGS, I've been pretty excited about the slate of RPGs for next-gen consoles. I think a number of people, myself included, felt the genre was rather weak during the present generation--but RPGs seem to be set for a comeback next gen!

SO ... I decided to write up a little guide to all the next-gen RPGs coming out (or that have already been released). There ended up being a LOT more than I thought ... I hadn't anticipated needing to spend so much time on this >_>. Big ups to Bebpo and jarrod for their list of next-gen RPGs here.

Systems and games are all listed in alphabetical order to avoid playing favorites. (Wii & Xbox 360 games will follow in the next posts to this thread.)

I'm sure I've made plenty of mistakes and left things, so feel free to yell at me and make any additions necessary :). I'm going to bed now and have a busy couple of days coming up, so I don't know when I'll be able to add to this myself, but we can hash things out in the replies, I guess. (Too bad this is isn't a Wii so you could guys could just fix things directly.)

Also, please note that this is a "next- and new-gen" thread, so this is NOT the place to argue about whether the Wii is a "next-gen" system, kthx :)

---PLAYSTATION 3---

THE ELDER SCROLLS IV: OBLIVION
Developer: Bethesda
Publisher: 2K Games
Style: Action RPG
Release Date: November 10, 2006
After a protracted period of rumors, 360/PC megahit Oblivion is now officially bound for the PlayStation 3. The PS3 version, scheduled as a launch title, will be an upgraded port, with a new guild/set of quests, the Knights of the Nine, joining the existing four. (Other assorted new content will also be added.)
Preview: 1Up
GAF Thread: click

ENCHANTED ARMS
Developer: From Software
Publisher: From Software (Japan) / ??? (elsewhere)
Style: Turn-based RPG
Release Date: TBA
From Software's Enchanted Arms--the first JRPG on the Xbox 360--is no longer an 360 exclusive, as From recently a PlayStation 3 port of the game. There's no word yet on whether the PS3 version will have any features or whether Ubisoft, which localized the Xbox 360 version, will also bring over the PS3 version. (See below in the 360 section for my writeup of the original version.)

FINAL FANTASY XIII
final-fantasy-versus-xiii-20060921093409583.jpg

Developer: Square
Publisher: Square Enix
As expected, Final Fantasy trades hands back to the Kitase's team, featuring Motomu Toriyama (FF X-2) as director, Tetsuya Nomura as character designer, and Masashi Hamauzu (FF X) taking over as composer. After the MMORPG-influenced gameplay of FF XII, FF XIII marks a return to the time-honored ATB system, but should feature more cinematic and faster-paced battles. Early screenshots also indicate that actions will now cost some type of "ATB points" rather than simple turns. FF XIII also looks to be the most futuristic Final Fantasy yet. The one character seen thus far is a pink-haired, sword-wielding heroine, but Square insists she might not be the actual protagonist.
Previews: 1Up | Gamespot | IGN
Trailer: click

FINAL FANTASY VERSUS XIII
final-fantasy-versus-xiii-20060508033516887.jpg

The second part of the "Fabula Nova Crystalis" FF XIII games, which despite their shared title, will apparently only feature thematic elements (the crystals) in common, not actual characters or settings. This one is an action RPG by Tetsuya Nomura's Kingdom Hearts team. Will Nomura make something remotely playable out of his penchant for paper-thin button mashers with more zippers than humanly countable? Probably not, but since we haven't actually seen any gameplay yet, I shouldn't rag on it too much.
Previews:
1Up | Gamespot | IGN

GENERATION OF CHAOS VI
Developer: Idea Factory
Publisher: Idea Factory (Japan) / ???
Style: Strategy RPG
The latest installment in Idea Factory's long running Generation of Chaos (Shiten Makai) strategy RPG seres. The series has generally been absent from the US, though NIS is bringing over the PSP remake of Part IV as simply "Generation of Chaos" in the spring -- so I guess VI has some localization chances as well. There don't seem to be any details on this particular installment yet, but previous games have apparently included some Civilization-style kingdom building segments between battles; you can research new technologies, trade and negotiate with other kingdoms, and build up cities. So I guess this might be more a straight strategy game than a SRPG? I really don't know anything about this series, sorry =(

MAKAI WARS
Developer: Nippon Ichi
Publisher: NIS America
Style: TBA
Another NIS strategy RPG, this was apparently moved to the PS3 after originally being in development for the PS2. Nothing has been shown so far, but I'm guessing we can expect an unconvential storyline and stat-whoring that NIS has become famous for--but since when has that been a bad thing?

MONSTER HUNTER 3
Developer: Capcom
Publisher: Capcom
Monster Hunter Freedom proved to be a huge hit for Capcom on the PSP, but the series began on the PlayStation 2 with two home console installments, so it's not surprising there's going to be a third. The Monster Hunter games are all freeroam action RPGs in which you track down and kill various super-monsters (as the title implies). The home console versions all included online play; I don't think it's been announced yet whether MH3 will have online features as well, but it seems pretty likely. Localization prospects for this may be somewhat iffy, though: Monster Hunter Freedom and the original PS2 Monster Hunter were/will be translated, but not Monster Hunter 2.

MONSTER KINGDOM: UNKNOWN REALMS
unknown-realms-20060911103936513.jpg

Developer: Game Republic / Gaia
Publisher: SCE (Japan) / Unknown (USA)
After leaving Atlus, Megami Tensei creator Cozy Okada released Monster Kingdom: Jewel Summoner for the PSP (coming to the US next year via Atlus), and Unknown Realms is the PS3 followup, albeit apparently by a different developer. (I haven't played the PSP game, so I don't know if they're connected in story or anything.) Unknown Realms, at least, looks to be a pretty battle-heavy action RPG. Defeated monsters can be absorbed to collect their powers; the new ability you acquire is then assigned to the four main controller buttons. The game also incorporates tilt control; to absorb a monster, you have to waggle the controller in accordance with on-screen directions.
Previews: IGN | Gamespot

SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI
Developer: Atlus R&D1
Publisher: Atlus
Atlus has announced that there's a MegaTen game in development for the PS3. It might be Shin Megami Tensei IV, or it could be another spin-off -- we actually don't know anything at all about this yet.

WHITE KNIGHT STORY
white-knight-story-20060922003229444.jpg

Developer: Level 5
Publisher: SCE (Japan) / unknown (USA)
Level 5, the developer behind Dark Cloud, Rogue Galaxy, and Dragon Quest VIII's graphics, has another new action RPG franchise in the works: Shirokishi Monogatari, or White Knight Story. Its battle system is apparently similar to FF XII's; you move one character around directly in real-time while issuing commands to the others. The protagonist also has the power to turn into the titular White Knight, a gigantic mecha-like knight that smashes up the enemies. But enough about the gameplay! Most of the attention to WKS so far has gone to its insane graphics.
Previews:
1Up |IGN | GameSpot

---XBOX 360----

BLUE DRAGON
blue-dragon-20060920004554478.jpg

Developer: MistWalker / Artoon
Publisher: Microsoft
Release Date: December 7 (Japan), 2007 (USA)
The first title from MistWalker, a new studio created by Final Fantasy creator Hironobu Sakaguchi after leaving Square when his movie tanked. Sakaguchi reunites with Nobuo Uematsu for the score, and Akira Toriyama (Dragon Ball, Dragon Quest, Chrono Trigger) contributes character designs, which have been rendered in a claymation style. But despite its unconventional graphic style, Blue Dragon is one of the more traditional upcoming next-gen RPG: battles are a pretty standard turn-based affair. (But, as with most all next-gen RPGs, enemies appear on the field map and can be evaded; there are no random battles.) The characters fight via their dragon spirits, which can unleash a variety of elemental and physical attacks. (This feature has brought the game some criticism; attack animations are currently rather long and can't be skipped.)
Previews: IGN | GameSpot | 1Up

CRY-ON
Developer: MistWalker / Cavia
Release Date: 2007
The third of MistWalker's Xbox 360 projects, this is the one we know the least about. Being developed in conjunction with Cavia (Drakengard, Bullet Witch), Cry-On is set in a typical medieval fantasy world, inhabited both by humans and by Boggles, former giants now shrunk down to midget size. The player trades off control between two characters: a Boggle and a young princess named Sally. Play as Sally will be more puzzle-oriented, while the Boggle segments are more combat-heavy -- it can turn into a variety of different giant forms to crush enemies.
Previews: IGN

DIARIO: REBIRTH MOON LEGEND
spectral-diario-20060920020202611.jpg

Publisher: Idea Factory (Japan)
Previously listed as Spectral Diario, this is a remake of the PS2 strategy RPG Rebirth Moon. I couldn't find too much on the original, but I gather it's an anime-themed RPG with item-making features. The game also puts an emphasis on combo attacks -- characters automatically recover health over time, so instead of wearing enemies down with lots of single attacks, you need to hit them all at once with a combo. Idea Factory is a Japan-only publisher, but NIS America has brought over a number of their PSP offerings, so there's some possibility this will be localized.
Previews: 1Up preview of PS2 Rebirth Moon

DUNGEON EXPLORER
Developer: Hudson
Publisher: Hudson
Style: Action RPG / Adventure
Coming out of nowhere was Hudson's announcement of a follow-up to its Duo title Dungeon Explorer -- I don't think we know yet whether this is a remake or a sequel. The original was somewhere around the intersection of Diablo, Gauntlet, and Zelda; gameplay is pretty combat heavy, but there are some items you can pick up to increase stats / levels, and you can choose various character types ... I'm sure there will be some disagreement about whether or not this constitutes an RPG, but, eh, here it is. The original had 2-player co-op; the new version will allow up to 4 players and includes Xbox Live support.

view-from-the-wizards-tower-20060425091747960.jpg

Release Date: Already released
The Xbox 360's first RPG, Oblivion debuted to rave reviews, impressive sales, and a colossal GAF thread. Primary among the game's features are its massive size and open-ended gameplay; the game world is gigantic and offers players substantial freedom in how they choose to play the game. The PC version allowed for even further customization and expansion through substantial mods, but, hey, at least the 360 owners got downloadable horse armor.
Reviews: GameSpot (9.6) | IGN (9.0) | 1Up (9)

ENCHANTED ARMS
enchanted-arms-20060829054304843.jpg

Developer: From Software
Publisher: From Software (Japan), Ubisoft (US/Europe)
A sort of video game pediatrician, From Software more or less specializes in early console life; they've developed a reputation supporting new consoles with releases that would otherwise be pretty average. Critical consensus on Enchanted Arms seemed to indicate that the game was, indeed, pretty average -- a pretty standard RPG that's OK but not great. But Enchanted Arms noteworthy for at least two reasons: it was the first JRPG for a Microsoft console, and it prominently features a gay party member (who, apparently, flirts with the protagonist).
Reviews: GameSpot (7.1) | IGN (7.6)

FABLE 2
Developer: Lionhead
Release Date:p/b] 2007
The Xbox 1's RPG lineup was pretty slender compared to the 360's, but (either in spite or because of this), Fable was a big hit. The 360 sequel is still pretty tightly under wraps, but creator Peter Molyneux promises to follow up on the original's open-ended gameplay and add additional options -- you can now buy property (all the way up to and including a castle), get married, and have kids. You also have the choice of character gender this time. Fable was sometimes criticized for not delivering on all of Molyneux's promised features (including some of the above features now being touted for Fable 2), but hopefully everything will make it into the final game this time.
Previews: IGN | 1Up | GameSpot

FINAL FANTASY XI: ONLINE
final-fantasy-xi-20060508045246793.jpg

Publisher: Square
Style: MMORPG
Marking Square's first release for a Microsoft console, Square's flagship MMORPG has been ported the Xbox 360, in part because Square got pissy that Sony took the hard drive support out of the slimline PS2. (Little did they anticipate the Tard Pack.) Released this past spring, the 360 version includes all three expansion packs currently available for the game.
Reviews: IGN (6.9) | GameSpot (6.0) | 1Up (9.0)

INFINITE UNDISCOVERY
tgs-2006-infinite-undiscovery-first-look-20060920005437918.jpg

Developer: tri-Ace
An RPG so innovative, a new English word had to be invented just to describe it. This is the first game by tri-Ace proper (Star Ocean, Valkyrie Profile, Radiata Stories) that isn't being published by Enix; they're doing this one for Microsoft instead. This is still pretty under tight wraps-- we've only seen a single screenshot--but we know that it will feature action RPG battles (perhaps like Star Ocean) and that discovery is supposed to be a major theme. GAF sez: "Looks hot." Dictionary.com sez: "No results found for undiscovery."

KINGDOM UNDER FIRE: CIRCLE OF DOOM
200609264449661.jpg

Developer: Blueside
Style: Action RPG / Online
Release Date: 3rd quarter 2007 (Japan) / 2nd quarter 2007 (US)
The previous Kingdom Under Fire titles (released on the original Xbox) were RTS games ... however, the first 360 installment has jumped genres and is apparently going to be an action RPG set in the same universe. And the emphasis is apparently on the "action" side of "action RPG," with the game's producer comparing the combat to Devil May Cry. Development has been handed off from original Korean developer Phantagram to another Korean team, Blueside, but Phantagram is supposed to be keeping a pretty close eye on things. 4-player co-op play over Xbox Live will be included and smoothly integrated into the game, so that you can go online and continue playing with the same character.
Previews: GameSpot | 1Up | IGN

LOST ODYSSEY
lost-odyssey-20060920005149485.jpg

Developer: MistWalker
Publisher: Microsoft Game Studios
MistWalker's other big Xbox 360 RPG, this is the more gritty and realistic counterpart to Blue Dragon, with a style somewhat reminiscent of FF VII and VIII and a suitably epic storyline. The protagonist, Kaim, has been sentenced to live for a 1,000 years, and is actually immortal in game terms: fellow party members can be killed, but Kaim resurrects and lives on upon losing all his HP. The battle system in the demos at TGS was a pretty standard turn-based affair, but creator Hironobu Sakaguchi pledges that the final battle system isn't in place yet, so we may see something more distinctive later on. Currently one of the few next-gen RPGs to include random battles. Planned for a simultaneous worldwide release in 2007.
Previews: IGN | GameSpot | 1Up

MAGNA CARTA 2
Developer: Softmax
Publisher: Banpresto
Sequel to Drinky Crow's favorite RPG, a JRPG that's actually a KRPG -- the developer, Softmax, is Korean. While the PS2 Magna Carta was a port of a PC game, my understanding is that this is a brand new, previously unreleased sequel, albeit one yet to be publicly shown. The series is probably known more for its character designs (by Korean artist Hyung Tae Kim) than for actually being worth playing, but maybe Softmax will turn things around with this new installment.

MASS EFFECT
mass-effect-20060512020814732.jpg

Developer: BioWare
Publisher: Microsoft Game Studios
Release Date: 2nd quarter 2007
BioWare (Baldur's Gate, Knight of the Old Republic, Jade Empire) represents for the eastern side of the Pacific with their first next-gen console RPG. Set in a 23rd century interstellar civlization that finds humanity allied with a variety of alien races, the game finds the player as a player-designed starship captain leading a squadron of three against a mechanical alien mechanism. Combat will occur in real-time, with more action than menus, and character growth will occur through refinement of various character skills. The game also seems to boast a large explorable universe; the in-game map of the Milky Way offers many planets to visit. But Mass Effect's most hyped features is probably its conversation trees; thanks to the revolutionary ON THE FLY MORAL SWITCHING, you'll be able to switch between six moral outlooks as you speak to other characters, and the conversation will flow accordingly. As with BioWare's previous titles, your choices will lead to different paths through the game. Downloadable content is also planned for an extensive period of time after the game's release.

OPERATION DARKNESS
tgs-2006-operation-darkness-screens-20060921005542567.jpg

Developer: Success
Publisher: Success (Japan) / ??? (USA)
Release Date: 4th quarter 2006 (Japan) / ?? (USA)
Another one of many 360 SRPGs, but this one stands out with a more modern, realistic military setting. But not TOO realistic ;) -- it's actually an alternate history WW II, complete with magic and werewolves and Nazi vampires (ZOMG BLOODRAYNE). It hasn't been announced for US release, but after getting a fair amount of attention at TGS, it seems like it has a good chance of finding a publisher.
Previews: 1Up

PHANTASY STAR UNIVERSE
phantasy-star-universe-20060822033917241-000.jpg

Developer: Sonic Team
Publisher: Sega
Style: Online / Action RPG
Release Date: October 1 (Japan), October 24 (US)
More or less the sequel to Phantasy Star Online, PS Universe features a similar style of hack'n'slash Diablo-style gameplay, but it supposed to also feature a more substantial offline component. Sonic Team also promises that PS Universe won't fall prey to the same hacking / cheating / duping issues that many say ruined PS Online. Simultaneous release on the PS2.
Previews: 1Up |IGN | GameSpot

SANGOKU FUUGAMI
Style: Card Battle / Online
Boy does Idea Factory make a lot of games. Anyway, I guess this is some kind of online card battle RPG, but I could find barely any info on it, and a Google search turned up mostly GAF threads :p.

SPECTRAL FORCE 3
simjpspectralforce30002.jpg

Release Date: Already released (Japan) / ??? (USA)
HAY GUYZ ANOTHER IDEA FACTORY SRPG WOWZERS. Actually, this one has already been released in Japan; its English release is still up in the air. It takes place in the continous "Neverland" universe shared with the prior Spectral Force games, and you can direct the course of the game by taking different mercenary jobs.

TENGAI MAKYO ZIRIA: TALES FROM DISTANT JIPANG
far-east-of-eden-ziria-tales-from-distant-jipang-20050915001430269.jpg

Developer: Red
Publisher: Hudson
Release Date: Already released (Japan) / TBA (USA)
To date, one of the biggest RPG series never to leave Japan was the Tengai Makyo / Far East of Eden series by Red (Thousand Arms), which are typically set in a skewed version of historical Japan. The Xbox 360 installment (Ziria) is a remake of the first game in the series, originally released on the Duo, and looks to hew pretty closely to the non-linear, traditional RPG gameplay of the original. Hudson is bringing this over to the US, making the series Japan-only no more -- give (GAF poster and Hudson employee) deamentia a thumbs-up if you see him.
Previews: IGN | RPGFan | 1Up

TRUSTY BELL: CHOPIN'S DREAM
eternal-sonata--20060921000359649.jpg

Developer: tri-Crescendo
Publisher: Namco
A colorful traditional RPG with an unusual premise: The characters and game world are all part of a deathbed dream by composer Chopin, whose music provides the game's score. Because Chopin is dreaming the world while dying, the characters in his dream all apparently have incurable diseases, which may prove to be an interesting story element. Trusty Bell is developed by tri-Crescendo, an offshoot of tri-Ace that also worked on the Baten Kaitos series. The battle system is menu-based, but looks to be somewhat more complex than the usual; you choose between various attacks by pressing the different controller face buttons, somewhat like the Xeno games. Trusty Bell has already been announced for Western release under the title Eternal Sonata, with a fictitious composer replacing Chopin for reasons that aren't clear to me.

SUPER ROBOT TAISEN X0
Developer: Bandai
Publisher: Bandai Namco (Japan) / ??? (USA)
Release Date: November 30, 2006 (Japan) / ??? (USA)
Another month, another Super Robot Wars game ... actually, this is a graphically enhanced port of the GameCube's Super Robot Taisen GC, released back in '04. It has, uh, licensed mecha and they fight and stuff. The big news is that this game has an online vs. mode, which is a pretty cool feature for a strategy RPG. The series is usually Japan-only (in part due to all the licensing hassles), which makes it kind of an odd choice for the Xbox, IMO...

---WII---

DRAGON QUEST SWORDS: THE MASKED QUEEN AND THE TOWER OF MIRRORS
wii_dragonquest_qtlowwide_thumb.jpg

Developer: Enix / Armor Project
A few years back, Enix released Kenshin Dragon Quest, a standalone game -- it plugged directly into your TV instead of running off a console -- in which you swung around a sword controller to combat enemies on the screen. It was a natural to update for the Wiimote. Announced at E3 as a launch title but since delayed, DQ Swords is still pretty much under wraps -- it's not really clear if this is even an RPG (Kenshin DQ was pretty much just hack-and-slash). However, with DQ mastermind Yuji Horii and composter Koichi Sugiyama involved, DQ Swords may prove to be somewhat more substantial than its standalone predecessor.
Previews: IGN | GameSpot

FINAL FANTASY CRYSTAL CHRONICLES: THE CRYSTAL BEARERS
One of two new Crystal Chronicles games (the other being on the DS). Like the original GameCube title, this is meant for multiple players, with four characters teaming up for a hackathon, but that's all about we know so far. It looks likely you'll be able to play online, though, making it easier to gather up some friends and make Error2k4 your bucket bitch.
Preview:
GameSpot
Trailer: http://media.wii.ign.com/media/748/748546/vids_1.html

FIRE EMBLEM: GODDESS OF DAWN
fire_emblem5.jpg

Developer: Intelligent Systems
Publisher: Nintendo
Release Date: February 28th (Japan), TBA 2007 (US)
Tenth installment in the pioneering strategy-RPG series is a follow-up to the GameCube's FE: Path of Radiance, featuring returning characters and settings from PoR, much to the chagrin of GAF poster Pellham. Barring any Pegasus Crossing mini-game surprises, it doesn't sound like Intelligent Systems is doing too much different with this one--it uses a conventional control scheme, not waggle--but why mess with success? Development is making a surprisingly quick turnaround and FE should be available not too long after the Wii launch.
Preview: 1Up

POKEMON BATTLE REVOLUTION
pokemon-wii-20060607025342877.jpg

Developer: Genius Sonority
Publisher: Nintendo
Release Date: December 2006 (Japan), TBA 2007 (US)
The first Wii installment in the Pokemon Stadium/Coliseum/XD line. For those who aren't familiar with the series, these aren't really full Pokemon games; they're more like graphical frontends so you can import your Pokemon from the portable games and battle a friend in 3D. (You can also fight against some computer-controlled squadrons.) This will be updated to include the new Pokemon from Diamond/Pearl, and for the first time will include online play -- sure to be a big draw! It's also noteworthy as one of the best-looking Wii games so far on a technical level.
Preview: GameSpot

b]SWORD OF LEGENDIA[/b]
Developer: Namco
Publisher: Bandai Namco
Mysterious Namco title lurking on release lists with few official details; we only know this is an RPG because it was previously listed as an "untitled RPG." However, GAF poster and Tales superfan Kurosaki Ichigo presents good evidence that may be a Tales of Legendia spinoff featuring Legendia's sword-slinging Chloe (see GAF thread below).

duckroll

YOU MISSED OPERATION DARKNESS AGAIN! !$^(*@#^$*@^#*(@

Oh and it's Trusty Bell: Chopin's Dream. Eternal Sonata is the US title.

Amir0x

Banned
Fantastic thread. Actually, I'm a bit surprised so far it seems the RPGs are more limited in nature than I imagined. I hope some big ones get announced soon after the systems launch

tegdf

you forgot Fable 2 for 360

also, Oblivion, Mass Effect and Fable 2 FTW. **** all those JRPG's

ethelred

Missing Sword of Legendia, Super Paper Mario, and Dragon Quest Swords for Wii. And as Ducky said, Operation Darkness for 360.

But quibbles aside, awesome thread.

duckroll said:
YOU MISSED OPERATION DARKNESS AGAIN! !$^(*@#^$*@^#*(@

Oh and it's Trusty Bell: Chopin's Dream. Eternal Sonata is the US title.

Thanks, fixed the Trusty Bell title.

I had the impression that Op Darkness was an RTS or something, but looking at it now, I guess I was wrong -- I'll add it in probably tomorrow.

Are DQ Swords and Sword of Legendia actual RPGs or are they just, like, swordfighting waggle games? I had left them out because I thought they were the latter, but if I'm wrong...

Operation Darkness and Fable 2 will def. get added tomorrow

ethelred

Greenpanda said:
Are DQ Swords and Sword of Legendia actual RPGs or are they just, like, swordfighting waggle games? I had left them out because I thought they were the latter, but if I'm wrong...

They're both RPGs. Sword of Legendia was actually announced initially as "Untitled RPG."

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Greenpanda said:

I think you should just add them because either way all those games have "RPG elements." It doesn't make sense derailing your thread in an argument with ethelred about it. :lol

ethelred

jj984jj said:
I think you should just add them because either way all those games have "RPG elements." It doesn't make sense derailing your thread in an argument with ethelred about it. :lol

True. Why should one think that a game announced as "Untitled RPG" would be an RPG? Silly me.

jj984jj said:

Sure, if people want to see them, I'll add them when I have a chance tomorrow :). I certainly didn't mean to start an argument; I was just inquiring about the games' actual status -- apologies if I came across otherwise.

ethelred said:
True. Why should one think that a game announced as "Untitled RPG" would be an RPG? Silly me.

Well, because I made a mistake :)

Amir0x

Banned
is Dragon Quest Swords an RPG 'cause it has Dragon Quest name? 'Cause as far as I can tell that's, er, going through screens slashing shit waggle wise. I don't know, what other RPG elements are there?

duckroll

Amir0x said:
is Dragon Quest Swords an RPG 'cause it has Dragon Quest name? 'Cause as far as I can tell that's, er, going through screens slashing shit waggle wise. I don't know, what other RPG elements are there?

If the developer says it's a RPG, who are you to argue based on 4 seconds of video and a screenshot? :p

ethelred

duckroll said:
If the developer says it's a RPG, who are you to argue based on 4 seconds of video and a screenshot? :p

He's Amir0x, and he can argue anything.

Nevermind that the video looked identical to all pre-DQ8 Dragon Quest games in terms of a first person attack where the character isn't visible.

Error2k4 said:
god Trusty Bell will make me buy a 360

I'll be grabbing a 360 whenever either Trusty Bell or Blue Dragon get here -- whichever comes first.

Amir0x

Banned
duckroll said:

Does the developer say that? I don't know! But if all you do is waggle slash swords like the ACTUAL DQ swords, to my knowledge, that really...I can't even stretch that over any RPG definition

jj984jj

Amir0x said:
Since DQS is likely deeper than Kenshin DQ, I'm guessing there are also spells and such you get in the game.

DQS and SoL probably could be listed as RPGs, but SPM is a platformer with "RPG elements."

Terrell

Amir0x said:
Your analysis of the 7-second clip that's been released is astounding.

jj984jj

Chiggs said:
Edit: ^^^^^^^^^ ha!

Great thread. Anyone else here surprised by all the RPG titles for the 360?
It used to be shocking, but isn't anymore. Question is, can they can live up to PS3 RPGs like FFXIII and White Knight or will the gameplay of the 360 games seem dated?

Note: Rebirth moon is utter shit

A buddy of mine picked it up when it was dirt cheap on play-asia for ps2. It was worth the 10 bucks for a laugh i guess. It's horribel though. Idea Factory = TRAP

Surreal

jj984jj said:
It used to be shocking, but isn't anymore. Question is, can they can live up to PS3 RPGs like FFXIII and White Knight or will the gameplay of the 360 games seem dated?

With Sakaguchi behind the wheel of the biggest projects?

Let's go to the magic 8-ball...

All signs point to- ah crap it's smudged. Ah well. =P

ethelred

jj984jj said:

Why in the world would they seem dated compared to FFXIII and White Knight Story? White Knight Story looks like it'll be a nice evolution of the Rogue Galaxy battle system... but there's nothing particularly dated about the 360 RPGs overall, or any reason they wouldn't be able to live up to the two titles you singled out.

Chiggs

jj984jj said:

What makes FFXIII and White Knight's gameplay so special? Serious question, btw.

duckroll

ethelred said:
Why in the world would they seem dated compared to FFXIII and White Knight Story? White Knight Story looks like it'll be a nice evolution of the Rogue Galaxy battle system... but there's nothing particularly dated about the 360 RPGs overall, or any reason they wouldn't be able to live up to the two titles you singled out.

I dunno, I think the Mistwalker games at this point ARE extremely dated. I'm interested in the scenarios and the presentation, but the actual gameplay is definitely dated. Trusty Bell is all sorts of hotness though.

Chichikov

Greenpanda said:
The Xbox 360's first RPG, Oblivion debuted to rave reviews, impressive sales, and a colossal GAF thread. Primary among the game's features are its massive size and open-ended gameplay; the game world is gigantic and offers players substantial freedom in how they choose to play the game. The PC version allowed for even further customization and expansion through substantial mods, but, hey, at least the 360 owners got downloadable horse armor.
Reviews: GameSpot (9.3) | IGN (9.0) | 1Up (9)

Your gamespot link goes to the PC review (different score).

Sorry, anal.

duckroll

Chiggs said:
What makes FFXIII and White Knight's gameplay so special? Serious question, btw.

As long as it's not playable and the trailers are cool, GAF *makes* things special. Happened for PS2 games, happened for Xbox games, happened for Xbox360 games, happened for Lost Odyssey, and it's happening again right now! :lol

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
jj984jj said:
what kind of question is that? I mean wow.

ethelred

duckroll said:
I dunno, I think the Mistwalker games at this point ARE extremely dated. I'm interested in the scenarios and the presentation, but the actual gameplay is definitely dated. Trusty Bell is all sorts of hotness though.

I'm not really sure that turn-based RPGs are "dated," per se, as that implies something that has aged past acceptability, and that certainly is not the case with turn-based RPGs. Aside from that basic fact, though, while the PS3 has FFXIII and White Knight Story, the 360 has Infinite Undiscovery and Trusty Bell, so they're both doing just fine.

One could just as easily turn the question around and use the PS3's turn-based RPGs to impugn it versus these two titles -- say, "Shin Megami Tensei 4 sure looks neat, but isn't it going to seem dated compared to Infinite Undiscovery?" It's a silly premise.

jj984jj

Chiggs said:
Did you not watch the videos?

Or Amir0x's overraction to the White Knight video? :lol

Error2k4 said:
what kind of question is that? I mean wow.
What's wrong with the question? BD and LO do look like the standard RPG, which is fine, but are the same people who are complaining about "boring and dated" turn-based RPGs really anticipating these games more than the new type of system we're seeing in FFXIII and WK?

Now I'm thinking about buying a xbox 360 because its getting more RPG. Only one of those Xbox 360 rpg games wont come out to the U.S.

Monk

Banned
Man, the only game interesting me in that list is mass effect. And that is a maybe(i hated Jade Empire).

PC RPG'S are where its at. :p

ethelred

vectorman06 said:
Now I'm thinking about buying a xbox 360 because its getting more RPG. Only one of those Xbox 360 rpg games wont come out to the U.S.

Er... I count five that have little to no chance of US release.

Not that it matters, though, because it's mostly the shitty Idea Factory ones.

rage1973

jj984jj said:
Did you not watch the videos?

Or Amir0x's overraction to the White Knight video? :lol

What's wrong with the question? BD and LO do look like the standard RPG, which is fine, but are the same people who are complaining about "boring and dated" turn-based RPGs really anticipating these games more than the new type of system we're seeing in FFXIII and WK?
Yes because we saw so much innovative game play for White Knight and FFXIII. Keep your fanboyism out of the thread and judge each game on its own merit.

Top Bottom