• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The next BioShock will be an open-world game.

Alan Wake

Might as well make a Super Mario horror game. Or Uncharted Pac-Man. BioShock should NOT be open-world. But this has been rumoured for a while now so I'm not surprised.

"The next BioShock will be an open-world game."

9Pm3S7V.gif

Rockondevil

Gold Member
If it's in Rapture I'll keep an open mind even though I'd rather it be like the first two (I guess kind of open world but not really).
If it's Columbia or even somewhere else I could care less.

Ultra Donny

Bioshock is my favourite franchise of all time, it matters a lot to me. Will hold on to judgment before we see something from this project but initially it sounds odd with open world. Hopefully it will bring something new to the concept.

Last edited:

Doczu

You wanna know why they want to choose for open world? Cause it's easier to make a bland carbon copy of an open world game than a tight, semi-open world like Prey or other games with a Metroidvania type of progression.
No, immersive sims work best if you have levels centered around a hub, not a typical open world.

Shubh_C63

Everyone wants the next thing to be like the first.

They tried with Infinite and even though I liked it, it failed in general.

Open world Bioshock sounds amazing. Don't count it off just because buzz buzz open world buzz.

Laptop1991

i like open world games and i liked all 3 Bioshock's, so it depends how good the open world is for me, i would of loved travelling around Rapture and Columbia where ever and whenever i wanted to, but not if it's boring with nothing really happening and the story suffers because of it, which is happening to quite a few newer open world games recently, i'm on the fence at the moment about Bioshock 4 to be honest, i hope its good.

I'm open to anything but off if it's open world I hope it is very limited bin how open it is.

Don't wants to be play a huge map that takes 60 hours to play.

For the most part it doesn't suit narrative driven games unless it's done impeccably well.

At most they should go Last of Us Open areas.

Shmunter

Fuck, I’m already falling asleep.

Open world has been the biggest scourge on gaming since GaaS. Indeed, they often go hand in hand.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Not surprising honestly considering that the original BioShock idea from Levine sounded much more OpenWorld. Could be that they are aiming towards this.

That being said, I'm not too excited here. Most Open World games have become way too bloated and I have troubles overcoming myself to start a game where I know it'll take me 100+ hours to complete. I have no problem with Open Worlds but I wish devs would stop putting so much content into them. Make the worlds smaller with more quality content. 30-40 hours to complete. That would be something.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
The main thing that interests me is are the skipping the gaas idea from the previous rumors. Fully open world isn't the best choice for a game like Bioshock, but it won't be a dealbreaker for me if the gameplay stayed roughly the same.

Shut0wen

We heard a while back that 2K Games was spinning up a new studio to work on the next entry in the BioShock series, and now some new job listings have provided a few more details about what we can expect when we finally see it. Unlike the BioShock games of the past, the next chapter in the FPS game series will be an open-world game, featuring “character-driven stories” and both primary and secondary missions.

The studio working on the next BioShock game is called Cloud Chamber, and it’s currently hiring for several positions. These include an AI programmer, UI/UX designer, a tools programmer, senior world designer, a senior technical designer, and a senior writer. This last, based in the Montreal office, will be a position responsible for helping to create the narrative content for BioShock 4, and the ad says the studio is looking for someone “who can weave impactful, character-driven stories in an open world setting.”

The senior writer will also be “brainstorming primary and secondary mission content with the design” and helping in “the creation and execution of the core story including the writing of dialogue and other narrative elements as director.” The position reports directly to the project’s lead writer.

Other clues about BioShock 4 can be found in the other job postings. The videogame AI programmer role, for instance, explains that the job will involve developing an “urban crowd system” and “the systemic tribal ecology of a sometimes hostile AI.”

Game designs go through multiple iterations between the initial concepting phase and final release, so everything about BioShock 4 is currently subject to change. That said, it seems clear that Cloud Chamber is planning on something a bit different with the next BioShock – a more open world that’s populated with an AI-driven “ecology” certainly sounds fascinating.

Freeroam as in gta or fallout then a big hardpass but if it was like bioshock 1 without the loading screen then maybe could ve decent, all depends on the setting hopefully not back to rapture or columbia and something new, i cant see it be good though

SkylineRKR

Original Bioshock design was shit too because of the limitations at the time. Ideally I would want a Rapture thats like Talos in Prey. But the bigger since its a city. Depends on how open world is being envisioned here.

I agree with people saying it should be "open world" like Prey. Maybe there should be a new term for that type of enclosed area though? "Open Environment" maybe. It's not a full world, more like interconnected hub areas you can explore at your discretion, so maybe a different moniker could help differentiate it from the bland overbloated worlds we think of normally.

Alright

Banned
Is it time to update the meme of:

2001: complex level design
2011: one straight path with loads of cutscenes
2021: One giant open, empty square?

OT: Can't wait to run around doing fetch quests to unlock a power only slightly better than the one i have, for 120 hours.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Why open world? I wish I could finish a game in less than 25 hours these days... I just finished Mad Max and was all good but going through the endgame I was already feeling burned... At least this game put a lot of action at that phase so it felt good to go linearly even if it took me a little more than expected. Same for other games, I'm enjoying a lot FFX right now mostly because it's very linear, something I think is very rare lately.

Kuranghi

Oh boy. Looks like they’re already missing the point of the original bioshock games.

No GIF

Yeah, part of 'shock games appeal/tone to me was that almost all the (un-monsterized) people are already dead/gone when you get there. I don't think enclaves of small group holed up somewhere like Prey 2017 ruins that, but "character-driven stories in an open world" sounds like it goes against that.

Kokoloko85

If they remake the first game or a prequel and make it larger, more open Id love that. More opportunity to use that atmosphere And see more Rapture And its lore.

Open world doesnt have to mean Ubisoft clutter

Kuranghi

Prey is not open world.

Most of the station is locked away.

It has an open level design similar to something like Dark souls, but that's not open world.

Maybe "hub-based, interconnected wide-linear world" is a more appropriate name but I second it being like Prey.

Regardless of the name, would you like it to be like Prey or something else? Like what open world normally means, large completely open map, or something in between the two.

I just want Prey but with no loading screens at all, even if they are happening during locked-in-a-small-space travel sequences (cable car, space-tram, etc), just give me something nice to look at and/or small tasks I can do during the ride if it has to be more than 30 seconds. I'm happy to just be looking at stuff tbh, show changes in the playing enviroment that have been caused by your progress through the game.

Last edited:
I havent played Infinite yet but Loved 1 and liked 2+DLC.

The world building and story was really what made 1 and 2 special. I just dont see how they can achieve that with an open world game.
Oh wow, I'm envious mate :messenger_beermugs: . I wish that I could play BioShock Infinite again for the first time. It's amazing. Columbia beckons you. Definitely play Infinite when you're next in the mood for it. It has a great soundtrack too (y).

iu

Last edited:

SnapShot

I agree with people saying it should be "open world" like Prey. Maybe there should be a new term for that type of enclosed area though? "Open Environment" maybe. It's not a full world, more like interconnected hub areas you can explore at your discretion, so maybe a different moniker could help differentiate it from the bland overbloated worlds we think of normally.
I think they're called Immersive sims

I actually enjoyed my time with Infinite, levels felt surprisingly open with plenty of areas to explore when I wasn't following the arrow, eventhough it had less RPG elements than the first two games. Columbia will always be one of my fav video game settings, sky hooks were fun and the story (even if a bit flawed near the end) and characters were great.

Last edited:

SoraNoKuni

I don't think Bioshock will benefit from an open world as it's linearity helped with how they delivered the story.

Wish they prove me wrong and create something special.

Good luck making the fans happy. We've waited 7 years for a new Bioshock game and they give the fans this.

The best part about Bioshock games is the fact that they aren't on a handholding level of linearity, it had exploration and maybe an open world could help with that if done correctly.

Dr. Suchong

Is it time to update the meme of:

2001: complex level design
2011: one straight path with loads of cutscenes
2021: One giant open, empty square?

OT: Can't wait to run around doing fetch quests to unlock a power only slightly better than the one i have, for 120 hours.
And all that marvellous Busywork
Game: "Collect 10'000 Acorns"
Me: *Exasperated* "Why?!"
Game: "Fuck you!, that's why!!"

I've been eagerly awaiting a new Bioshock game since Infinite released back in 2013. I know Irrational Games (now defunct) isn't making this entry, but even Bioshock 2 which was made by a separate team was a great experience IMO. It's been over 7 years and these listings make it seem like the game is still in early development phases. I wonder what's going on.

I think they're called Immersive sims

I actually enjoyed my time with Infinite, levels felt surprisingly open with plenty of areas to explore when I wasn't following the arrow, eventhough it had less RPG elements than the first two games. Columbia will always be one of my fav video game settings, sky hooks were fun and the story (even if a bit flawed near the end) and characters were great.
I was under the impression (from other people's opinions) that the Bioshock games weren't "sim" enough to qualify as "immersive sims" so was thinking of a more broad term. It's all semantics really though.

johntown

Banned
Although it will only be Bioshock in name I am not counting it out. It still has potential to be a good game but I have my expectations in check. Who knows it may not be fully open but the levels themselves could be fully open kinda like Dishonored.

Top Bottom