• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The next XBOX really needs to impress me in order for me to buy it

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
No thank you.

I lost all confidence in Xbox.

It was when Xbox 360 give me the death ring red and i change 3 consoles!! but the drop that shed the glass was when this console scratch my Gears of War Brand New of 4 days, that piss me off a lot.

The only thing that would win me back my trust is that Gravity rush 3 was in Xbox or similar game.

kaczmar

So I'm going to throw a wrench this conversation and go on limb say IF Microsoft can pull off streaming games well enough, their next system can be very successful.

I've recently tried out the Nvidia Shield streaming service and it worked very, very well. Full 1080p and solid 60fps 99% of the time. They offer some free games with the Shield and everyone I tried worked almost flawlessly. It was an enticing idea that I could just play a game simply by selecting it.

Mind you, this was with a wired gigabit connection. But my friends have had equal success on wireless connections.

I know the argument of bandwidth caps and internet speeds are a factor - but as far as the technology goes, I do think this can be a viable gaming solution.

Personally, I'm not a fan of a system that entirely revolves around streaming games - but to the average consumer - it's like a Netflix style of gaming.

I am not so sure, if MS can add enough value to their subscription services then even PC gamers will consider paying that monthly/yearly fee. I could see a future where Xbox Live Gold includes online play, games with gold, gamepass, game streaming and other features. Parity across all platforms as far as features and pricing goes.

Emphasis added. I keep hearing/reading about streaming. I'm not convinced that this is actually possible across gaming platforms. Doesn't the XBOX Game Pass service just downloads existing XBOX games wrapped in DRM to compatible XBOX console? You can't develop a single game and have it run optimized on all iterations of hardware. At best, you can have remote connection gaming service where gamers are actually playing in a server in a cloud center and not locally (or at least the "heavy lifting" is not local). IMO, not even Azure can handle potentially millions of gamers playing games on Azure servers.

Pompi

There seem to be no single advantage for a gaming console like XBOX and PS except for exclusives.
And in the case of XBOX, doesn't most exclusives end up on the PC anyway?
Seems like if you don't need to play the newest thing first, and can wait until it reach the PC, it would make no sense to buy an XBOX.
The fact you need all sort of online DRMs to play XBOX, make this console the worst of all worlds.

I think a wise choice would be to settle for PC gaming, there are a bloody tons of games out there anyway.
Also, a switch is still a "real" console as in, you buy a game on a card and it suppose to play without online DRM?(not sure about that). You also have tons of exclusives on the switch.

kaczmar

There seem to be no single advantage for a gaming console like XBOX and PS except for exclusives.
And in the case of XBOX, doesn't most exclusives end up on the PC anyway?
Seems like if you don't need to play the newest thing first, and can wait until it reach the PC, it would make no sense to buy an XBOX.
The fact you need all sort of online DRMs to play XBOX, make this console the worst of all worlds.

I think a wise choice would be to settle for PC gaming, there are a bloody tons of games out there anyway.
Also, a switch is still a "real" console as in, you buy a game on a card and it suppose to play without online DRM?(not sure about that). You also have tons of exclusives on the switch.

Online DRM? What are you referring to?

IMO, waiting for AAA exclusives that eventually make their way to the PC doesn't sound very compelling of an argument. As a console, PC, and a mobile gamer have no shortage of games to play on any platform. How many titles a particular platform has no bearing on anything to me.

Pompi

I think what I meant is... many console games stop being playable after a few decades. Which was not the case for old consoles.
It's true to mobile games as well.
I don't know, feels a bit odd to buy a physical disc that 10 years from now you won't be able to play due to stopping to support it.
Things like social and online micro transactions, might render the game unplayable in the not so far future.

I think the only good thing about XBOX is the exclusives. But, I think most of it's exclusive reach the PC after a year or two?
I am saying, it's better to not buy an XBOX and just wait a year or two for those exclusives to reach the PC.

Edit: I am arguing against the XBOX if it was not clear.

Last edited:

GrybuySlon

Neo Member
I think people in this thread underestimate just HOW MANY consumers don't own a gaming PC nor do they want to own a gaming PC. They want to plug a box in and go...those people will continue to buy consoles.

Pompi

Sadly a lot of people are computer illiterate.
Things like installing a new SSD drive is too much for them. :/
So I think you are correct about that.
Though if you are not computer illiterate, it's probably makes more sense to invest in a PC.
However, I didn't play an XBOX for a long time. So maybe it is still a lot easier to play on an XBOX than a PC just because of simple technical conveniences.
Edit: I think I should stay out of this discussion until I have something to contribute, lol.

Last edited:

Halo0629

It needs to be unique and differentiate itself from pc's to be a worthy buy for me. I would also never bought a ps4 if most of its exclusives have gone to pc. If most of ms next gen exclusives are coming to pc then I might as well just build another rig next gen. Free online alone already makes it way better than consoles.

Last edited:

CeeJay

Emphasis added. I keep hearing/reading about streaming. I'm not convinced that this is actually possible across gaming platforms. Doesn't the XBOX Game Pass service just downloads existing XBOX games wrapped in DRM to compatible XBOX console? You can't develop a single game and have it run optimized on all iterations of hardware. At best, you can have remote connection gaming service where gamers are actually playing in a server in a cloud center and not locally (or at least the "heavy lifting" is not local). IMO, not even Azure can handle potentially millions of gamers playing games on Azure servers.

How many people said X360 BC was not possible on Xbox One? I am sure that if MS say they are planning streaming options for next gen then they can probably deliver that.

As for gamepass, it's available on PC currently with a smaller subset of titles than available on console but none the less still there and with a growing number of titles that will eventually reach parity across devices. It's pretty obvious that MS are converging and aligning their services and features on console and PC. Eventually Xbox will simply be a service that is the same on whatever device you want to use it on.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
It’s the other way around for me. Eventually I get every platform down the line, but the ability to play all my previous purchases and as a person that don’t sell his games then Microsoft has me deep in to ecosystem.

That and their pro consumer path at the moment. Personally I hope that Microsoft will continue to be underdogs next gen, cus that rewards the customers in the end by all the goodwill they make to gain players.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
I think MS has to do lots right to get persons back into purchasing the system, which chief of that is delivering on some stellar singleplayer content....

Get some unique games, like Otogi, Gun Valkyrie, Crimson Skies......Some of the Sega games helped OG XBOX quite a bit and they need to get some of that flowing again...Perhaps they should get J Allard and Robbie Bach on there to get some semblance of sense back there...

Of course, the PC sharing most of XBOX content is a problem for MS, as folk would just stick to PC and buy the games there. I'm not complaining, but PC guys don't pay for LIVE, neither do they rush to buy games at $60.00 especially if they're not highly rated, so MS loses there too....

Last edited:
Top Bottom