• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo 64 Appreciation/Collecting/Emulation Thread.

Seik

Banned
2116573_0.jpg

qq more

People hating on the N64?! Horrible! I had such fond memories of this console as a kid. Even though the library was rather small, a good amount of the games were fantastic if not ground breaking.

I've recently bought a Jungle Green N64 and have complete in box copies of Banjo Kazooie and Donkey Kong 64. I also picked up a neat hori golden N64 controller, it resembles the GC controller in some ways. It's pretty neat.

Mumford

Cool thread. I didn't grow up in the age of the N64 so I'm discovering a lot of these games now. Some of them are just absolutely fantastic, even by today's standards. Can't wait for N64 Virtual Console on Wii U. :)

The focus on multiplayer and especially the four controller ports on the console was a stroke of genius. No stupid "multi-tap" needed and really fun four player games like Mario Kart 64 and Goldeneye made this a winner in the neighbourhood for gaming with lots of friends visiting.

Dereck

Best port of MK4 is on this system.

That's about all I have to say.

Wait, best port of NFL Blitz was on this system.

IrishNinja

awww yisss <3 i swear Seik just does this to show off his fantastic collection, haha

awesome OP as usual man! next week my RGB modded N64 should arrive, i already picked up my old library & then some waiting on it:

OoT
MM (both gold carts!)
Mario 64
Mario Kart
Paper Mario
Smash Bros
Star Fox 64
Sin & Puinshment
Donkey Kong 64
Diddy Kong Racing
Goldeneye
Perfect Dark
Blast Corps
Castlevana 64 (shut up, it was cheap)
Killer Instinct Gold
Banjo & Kazooie
Shadows of the Empire
Wave Race 64
Rampage World Tour
Mischief Makers
Duke Nukem 64
Pokemon Snap
NFL Blitz
WCW/NWO Revenge

+ 4 controllers, memory, rumble & expansion packs! all i need now is the RGB SCART cable, so of course retro_console_accessories is on hiatus till mid-July...which sucks, cause even upscaled this thing looks kinda rough on a plasma (via composhit)

what am i missing? F-Zero X, Goemon, maybe Conker's and a few others on my list at the moment

bigmac996

I love my n64 more than any other console. To hell with haters.

Also, I'll be the first to say that Mystical Ninja: Starring Goemon is my favorite game on the console.

If anyone is looking for a new game, let that be it.

Dereck

BTW this is the only retro console to me amongst every other system that has no appeal to me looking back on it.

Let me try to remember what I liked about this system.

IrishNinja

BTW this is the only retro console to me amongst every other system that has no appeal to me looking back on it.

Let me try to remember what I liked about this system.

for me, Mario 64 blew my mind, as did the Zeldas...then i was caught up in PS1 and kinda slept on it. shortly after getting to college, Goldeneye was the proto-halo and every other room was playing it - it turned into this fantastic multi/shooter box where Quake, Duke Nukem, Doom, all kindsa older PC shit was going on, with new stuff like Perfect Dark in between the Mario Kart matches.

it was weird, i'm playing catchup now (with the Saturn as well) but at the time, i rarely played this system solo, it was often a very social thing.

Seik

Banned
awww yisss <3 i swear Seik just does this to show off his fantastic collection, haha
Oh you! :lol
awesome OP as usual man! next week my RGB modded N64 should arrive, i already picked up my old library & then some waiting on it:

OoT
MM (both gold carts!)
Mario 64
Mario Kart
Paper Mario
Smash Bros
Star Fox 64
Sin & Puinshment
Donkey Kong 64
Diddy Kong Racing
Goldeneye
Perfect Dark
Blast Corps
Castlevana 64 (shut up, it was cheap)
Killer Instinct Gold
Banjo & Kazooie
Shadows of the Empire
Wave Race 64
Rampage World Tour
Mischief Makers
Duke Nukem 64
Pokemon Snap
NFL Blitz
WCW/NWO Revenge

+ 4 controllers, memory, rumble & expansion packs! all i need now is the RGB SCART cable, so of course retro_console_accessories is on hiatus till mid-July...which sucks, cause even upscaled this thing looks kinda rough on a plasma (via composhit)

what am i missing? F-Zero X, Goemon, maybe Conker's and a few others on my list at the moment

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiit, I'd say you're on a good start with this already. XD

Grab both Goemon games, they are delicious!

EDIT: Your list reminds me I still need Blast Corps. D: *Go on ebay*

Thanks for the hype btw! :D

I missed it sorry, but thank you for having already included it. Much appreciated!
My pleasure! :)

Varg

Banned
My favorite console ever created. My parents still have the videotape of me going apeshit when that Christmas morning when there was nothing but clothes under the Christmas tree. All of a sudden my dad pulls out this huge red santa bag with the N64 in it and a ton of games. Literally my happiest moment as a child. 4 player games such as nfl blitz, wcw vs nwo world tour, and nba hangtime still are still legendary status even to this day.

for me, Mario 64 blew my mind, as did the Zeldas...then i was caught up in PS1 and kinda slept on it. shortly after getting to college, Goldeneye was the proto-halo and every other room was playing it - it turned into this fantastic multi/shooter box where Quake, Duke Nukem, Doom, all kindsa older PC shit was going on, with new stuff like Perfect Dark in between the Mario Kart matches.

it was weird, i'm playing catchup now (with the Saturn as well) but at the time, i rarely played this system solo, it was often a very social thing.

It was a very social console! I have the same memories of being many people sitting around the N64 playing.

Will BJK ever be close to perfectly playable on the Wii? Using my N64 is a pain in the ass between the deteriorating joystick and the old cords.

About damn time we got an N64 thread!

Here's my list o' games.

GoldenEye 007
Super Mario 64
Mario Kart 64
Diddy Kong Racing
Donkey Kong Country 64
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Legend of Zelda: OOT
Wave Race 64
Glover
Mario Party 3
Mischief Makers
Wayne Gretzky's Hockey
Pokémon Snap
Pokémon Stadium
Perfect Dark
Jet Force Gemini
Banjo-Kazooie

N64 is one of my systems, along with PS1, that I'm starting to focus on collecting more because I've lost so many of my old N64 and PS1 games foolishly when I was younger.

Also, did anyone else get huge sores on their palms from the Mario Party mini-games that required you to rotate the joystick extremely fast. God I remember my hand killing me. Thank goodness they removed that from future MP games.

One of my favorite N64 games has always been Super Robot Spirits. It is a rather clunky fighter, but there is something about it that makes me love it. It has a fairly lengthy single player mode and the bosses are awesome. I also like the crispness to the flat-shaded polygons. I doubt many others here have played it, but it is an import worth tracking down. Very easy to play w/o understanding Japanese as well.

Gameplay- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6RBSQe0d7U

Also, How can you not dig fighting to catchy tunes like this...

Dancougar Buring Love- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj_ocQtxq9Q

I hope to get all the N64 system colors someday

Only got the standard grey/black and see through DK64 green

I gotta believe, I loved the N64, had so many great games and fun times with friends and family

No mercy B^)

IrishNinja

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiit, I'd say you're on a good start with this already. XD

Grab both Goemon games, they are delicious!

EDIT: Your list reminds me I still need Blast Corps. D: *Go on ebay*

there were 2 of em? crap! and yeah, Classic Game Room sold me on Blast Corps so hard, it's mad cheap right now too.

honestly, it was tricky finding the gold zelda carts and maybe smash bros for less than $30, but most of those games cost me 5-10, a number of which were from an amazing craigslist deal, estarland & another great deal here on GAF. compared to SNES, N64 is a dream to pick stuff up for!

also, anyone know if PilotWings 64 was any good?

It was a very social console! I have the same memories of being man people sitting around the N64 playing.

yup. i dig online play/leaderboards and such but kills me to see the lack of emphasis on split screen or local multiplayer this last gen; i still love having friends over to game, and even walking my dog downstairs i can see so many apts with kids/siblings playing COD and such, i love that shit. N64 was the first time i saw a system with 4 ports in the front, just begging to have everyone join in.

IrishNinja

Glover
Pokémon Stadium
Jet Force Gemini

how are these?

I hope to get all the N64 system colors someday

Only got the standard grey/black and see through DK64 green

maaaan i was bummed when shopping around for a good RGB mod, i so wanted something like that green one but it turns out the best/easiest ones seem to be like plain black launch system i had years back...part of me wishes i could just swap out the shell

Madao

any room for the 64DD? the thing was a failure but at least it gave us the best F-Zero experience currently in existence (track editor is way too good)

Seik

Banned
One of my favorite N64 games has always been Super Robot Spirits. It is a rather clunky fighter, but there is something about it that makes me love it. It has a fairly lengthy single player mode and the bosses are awesome. I also like the crispness to the flat-shaded polygons. I doubt many others here have played it, but it is an import worth tracking down. Very easy to play w/o understanding Japanese as well.

Gameplay- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6RBSQe0d7U

Also, How can you not dig fighting to catchy tunes like this...

Dancougar Buring Love- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj_ocQtxq9Q

Dat 90's anime feel. Guess what...I just made an offer to someone on Ebay for a copy because of you! XD

I still remember the moment when I saw the water in Waverace 64. I imported it and remembered having to carve some plastic off the sides of the cart. The physics in that game were unlike anything I had seen...or felt.

Dat 90's anime feel. Guess what...I just made an offer to someone on Ebay for a copy because of you! XD

Awesome! It's a nostalgia overload of a game.

how are these?

maaaan i was bummed when shopping around for a good RGB mod, i so wanted something like that green one but it turns out the best/easiest ones seem to be like plain black launch system i had years back...part of me wishes i could just swap out the shell

Glover? Meh. It was an impulse buy when I was younger and haven't really played it since.

I friggen loved Pokémon Stadium though. When you could take your GB cartridges and see your Pokémon fight in 3D was mind-blowing. I hear Pokémon Stadium 2 is better though.

Jet Force Gemini is great! At least I think so. I hope MS revives it at some point in the future.

I still remember the moment when I saw the water in Waverace 64. I imported it and remembered having to carve some plastic off the sides of the cart. The physics in that game were unlike anything I had seen...or felt.

First N64 and first true 3D game I ever played. For a short while, I didn't think graphics could get any better.

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
Such an amazing platform. The first time I saw Wave Race and Mario 64 were true next gen moments.

Sadly the emulator scene for the N64 never really hit the quality of the ones available for other systems. This may have changed in the last two years but I recall being disappointed that there were still artifacts and draw errors in some games (on top of inconsistent compatibility).

I still break out a Wave Race session now and again.

Peagles

I love the N64, seriously. Great thread!

Anyone know if any region N64 can be RGB modded? Not sure if it's worth trying on a PAL console but it sure would be cool to make my games look better!

Oh god seeing that Rampage: World Tour box takes me back.

how are these?

Can't speak for the other two, but Glover is outstanding and a highly underrated game. As a platformer I would put it neck and neck with SM64. rich and varied worlds, Glover controls like a dream, and the animation work was amazing for its day.

Teknoman

Wave Race 64 is still really fun. The soundtrack is great, and the graphics actually kinda stand up to the test of time in a strange way.

Also Gameshark 64 should work as an import converter for JP games.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
got pretty much all i want for the n64 minus a handful of games i want to grab

zelda OoT collectors edition
zelda magoras mask collectors edition
castlevania
diddy kong racing
007 golden eye
starwars shadows of the empire
mario 64
jet force gemini
blast corps
bomber man 64
bomber man heros
body harvest
shadowgate 64
crusin usa
perfect dark
doom 64
turok
starwars rogue squadron
load runner 3d
wave race

loose carts
star fox
mario kart 64
killer instinct gold

IrishNinja

^never did play Body Harvest, and the Turok games - like the South Park ones - were never my thing, just something i got stuck playing at my cousin's house in the day

also yeah aside from a japanese copy of Mischief Makers (thanks again McBradders!) all my carts are loose, but look great with box art in universal game cases

The N64 had the best wrestling games. God bless AKI

i don't often do wrestling games but yeah, attitude era roster on N64 + custom wrestlers (my boy would make a fat bloody surgeon and name him MAL PRACTICE) was such hot shit

Can't speak for the other two, but Glover is outstanding and a highly underrated game. As a platformer I would put it neck and neck with SM64. rich and varied worlds, Glover controls like a dream, and the animation work was amazing for its day.

strong praise! gonna look this one up on YT, thanks man

Awesome console, very social I still remember buying extra controllers just to get more people playing. So awesome. The second I saw Mario 64 I went crazy, couldnt bevlieve what I was seeing at my cousin's house...best memories :)

Jyester

I don't think I every enjoyed another console as much as the N64. GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, Mario Kart, Diddy Kong Racing and Smash Bros were such fantastic multiplayer games.

At the time, I loved Rare more than Nintendo. Such a tremendous amount of quality games.

I also love Donkey Kong 64. If only a frame rate steady version would be released on the virtual console, my life would be complete.

IrishNinja

Awesome console, very social I still remember buying extra controllers just to get more people playing. So awesome. The second I saw Mario 64 I went crazy, couldnt bevlieve what I was seeing at my cousin's house...best memories :)

yeah, i too had that "3rd party controller for the least-liked kid" haha, it was usually called a dildo with wings

and Mario 64...okay this kinda thread is made for these stories, right? so, i was a huge sega fanboy who was absolutely broken-hearted that i couldn't afford a launch saturn, so i put in for a PSX and thought that was that. the local Toys R Us had kiosks for Mario 64, and they were open for an hour after my grocery store job was over, so i'd hurry over to the last account on there just to collect more stars & see new levels, the feeling of awe seeing what i considered a flawless (well, beyond the camera) transition to 3D was amzing. i put in for it as soon as they let me.

what sucked was i had a buncha friends over to go with me & get it that day, and when the guy behind the booth with the games insisted i'd need another RF or whatever since the SNES one wouldn't work (even though i think it was Gamepro that assured me it would), my boy called him an asshole for trying to rip me off - it was outta line, but we were such hyped dumb kids i just took my goods and left....boy was that a long awkward walk back to buy the cord, haha

you dont like turok 1? :O

i associate it with spoiled cousins, to be fair...and never got to play the SP campaign. worth revisiting?

At the time, I loved Rare more than Nintendo. Such a tremendous amount of quality games.

only now, with blast corps, perfect dark, diddy racing, KI gold, bajo etc - in addition to the classic 007 - can i finally see why people used to say this...i get it now

Ninja Dom

I was there, Japanese launch day fucking ONE!!!

My personal highlights?? SHINDO SUPER MARIO 64, SIGNED BY SHIGERU MIYAMOTO IN 1999 IN BALL POINT PEN!!!

null_zpsacb219fb.jpg

IrishNinja

^Ninja Dom you motherfucker

while i love the GC controller, if that Z button's not below for Mario/Zelda/Bond etc shit's gonna feel wrong for me. everytime i try a 360 controller for emulation, i just cant map it out nearly the same.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16

Fun fact: Wave Race Blue Storm is actually running on an expanded Wave Race engine. They reused a lot of the same physics (while refining them to make use of the added processing power of the GC)

Fun fact: Wave Race Blue Storm is actually running on an expanded Wave Race engine. They reused a lot of the same physics (while refining them to make use of the added processing power of the GC)

Interesting. I bought Blue Storm a few years ago yet have never gotten around to playing it. I might have to fire that one up soon to experience those awesome water physics again.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Nice thread. Can't imagine anyone hating on the N64. It was the last Nintendo console I truly enjoyed.

IrishNinja

i remember, after the animated series i was hyped for Superman 64! still can't bring myself to play that one yet.

oh yeah, i'd jump at a chance to try Ogre Battle 64 on the cheap, that looks like something id've been all over...i totally missed Paper Mario cause after seeing Quest 64 I assumed PSX was gonna get all the RPGs, heh

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
There was a time when I had to make my distaste with the N64 clear (it was a shocking drop off from the NES and SNES)... But those days are over. Now I tend to reminisce fondly. It's a rather small, but very high quality library.

The game that I most return to on the console is Mario 64. So cliche, but so true: it's an amazing game, and what a revolution for its day.

This is an easy console to collect for, which is good. Small library, most of them big sellers. I have no doubt the prices will go up in about 5 years, though....

i remember, after the animated series i was hyped for Superman 64! still can't bring myself to play that one yet.

oh yeah, i'd jump at a chance to try Ogre Battle 64 on the cheap, that looks like something id've been all over...i totally missed Paper Mario cause after seeing Quest 64 I assumed PSX was gonna get all the RPGs, heh
That's still mostly true though, wasn't it? N64 is chronically under RPGed.

Btw on that XRGB mini tip... I'm really happy with s-video on this system. Not sure if I'll bother with RGB mod.. Not for awhile, anyway.

Seik

Banned

You really need to play Paper Mario, it's the best one, imho!

I have OB64 but it's the jap version, I got it because I won an auction at something around 2$...can't read jack shiiiiit. D:

Ninja Dom

Here are my Nintendo published Japanese games. I missed out on tons though. Perfect Dark JP version had an interesting cover.

In the pic you'll see my signed Shindo Super Mario 64 and Shindo Wave Race (not signed). These versions meant that they worked with the N64 Rumble Pack and had vibrations.

Apologies if the pic is too large, posting all this and taking shots from my phone.

null_zps1b88d16c.jpg

Top Bottom