• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo Switch and it's lack of an achievement/trophy system.

FZW

Its one of the main reasons why I avoid Nintendo consoles. No chat system (to be fair, they had this before but clearly its no longer important to them), No achievements. Just very little effort on the services, and I can't with them. im trying to keep an open mind with them but...

Camwi

Nintendo's reason for doing this is probably that they don't see any value in it, which is silly since there are plenty of people who buy games specifically for achievements.

Do I wish Nintendo would do a system-wide trophy system? Absolutely. In the meantime, I'll continue to buy my multiplatform games on the PS4.

Its one of the main reasons why I avoid Nintendo consoles. No chat system (to be fair, they had this before but clearly its no longer important to them), No achievements. Just very little effort on the services, and I can't with them. im trying to keep an open mind with them but...

You try to keep an open mind, but lack of ACHIEVEMENTS is the thing that stops you from buying a Nintendo console.

"BotW is absolutely amazing"
"No achievements, no buy"

That does not compute.

blazeaire

Reminder: on Xbox and Playstation you can't arbitrarily add post launch achievements to your game unless you attach it to paid DLC.

if DLC has achievements attached to it, it's really hard to make that DLC free afterwards down the road.

Hard but not impossible, Gravity Rush 2 had trophies for the free Raven DLC and some don't even add achievements for paid DLC like the Dark Souls 3 dlc

Achievements as implemented on other platforms are pretty trash, though I think a system-wide implentation of SOMETHING that can track in game progress and connect it to perhaps a system with in-platform "currency" to buy cosmetics for Miis or other games would be welcome (as long as it's able to be turned off).

But "Silver Lynel Takedown - You killed a Silver Lynel" level shit? Keep it away. If it's nothing more than a pop up then I couldn't give less of a shit about it.

Raysoul

That's a pathetic reasoning for being an open-minded person. You judge games because it has no voice chat and achievements? It must be confusing to you how millions of people enjoy Nintendo games.

BTA

I really like trophies/achievements as an incentive to try more stuff in games and challenge myself with things I wouldn't otherwise bother with, Honestly, one of the few things discouraging me from buying certain games on Switch is the lack of them; I wish devs would at least add an in-game menu with all their achievements/trophies from other platforms so they would still be tracked, even if they didn't pop as you got them or anything like that.

Galava

Achievements should be made "in-game", through stamps, trophies, medals... that you get in-game and make sense in the world. Having achiev systems at OS level takes you out of the game tbh.

Some examples:

Pokémon: Medals and ribbons
Zelda: Hinox medals

eXMomoj

Trophies are nice; I hunt them for games that I really enjoy to get a few more hours out of it. But other than that, I couldn't care less about them.

MTC100

Banned
I'd love to have more detailed statistics about the way I play my games and how long I've played them like they managed to impelent on the 3DS. By the way, as a new PS4 owner I was wondering if there was such a function in the PS4, can you check play time of the games if the game itsels isn't keeping track of it?

FyreWulff

Hard but not impossible, Gravity Rush 2 had trophies for the free Raven DLC and some don't even add achievements for paid DLC like the Dark Souls 3 dlc

It helps when you're first party, the rules get eased on you like with Gravity Rush. There isn't a specific rule that paid DLC has to have achievements with it.

Every time Microsoft has increased the achievement total points you can get, for example, it's always been an MS first party game that did it first.

moai

i know people obsessed with achievements, asking for people to play games from 2008 to get that platinum or 1000/1000.

Blam

DTVZWhs.png

Perfect response to that.

Not Drake

Reminder: on Xbox and Playstation you can't arbitrarily add post launch achievements to your game unless you attach it to paid DLC.

if DLC has achievements attached to it, it's really hard to make that DLC free afterwards down the road.

This is false and I got no idea where did you heard about that. There are no rules about DLC and achievements. Some games get new achievements with free DLC and patches and others don't introduce new ones even with paid DLC.

extra work for little to no money...thats not in nintendos handbook, esp as of late with their standing in stockholders eyes

but i do agree. seems very late. even steam has a system implemented. i blame a lot of it on their internet infrastructure and mindset. and not trying to copy/compete and to only be innovative

shanafan

The lack of an achievement system on the Switch never entered my mind until I opened this thread. Guess it doesn't bother me!

TheJoRu

Not sure why they haven't implemented this using My Nintendo yet. They have achievements ("missions") for their phone apps, so the system is basically in place for them to start doing it.

Maybe they'll announce it alongside Switch rewards for My Nintendo. Not holding my breath, though.

jdmonmou

The Switch has got bigger problems than a lack of an achievement system. I don't play my Switch enough to really care about achievements to be honest.

Djostikk

Remember when people used to play games many times just because they had great replayability and just generally fun? I don't think Switch needs achievements. I've suffered enough from PS trophies.

Novocaine

I like achievements/trophies but I rarely make it a thing to get them all. Souls games are the one exception I can think of. I do like the tracking element part of them i.e. How many people managed to beat the game etc.

I know isn't it great. Hope they never waste time on that pointless system and add other features to the Switch instead.

Such as good voice chat functionality?

At first, I was thinking that it was terrible not having it. After playing a while and not having it, I like it not being there. I didn't realize how much attention I paid to trophies until I couldn't. With the Switch I'm just playing the games and not having a trophy system hasn't hampered the experience at all.

Wamb0wneD

Never understood why grown ass people act like boy scouts when it comes to gaming. "Help that old lady over the street batch", "kill 100 enemies batch". When people start buying games they don't care about for easy trophies or don't buy a game because it doesn't have an e-penis system it gets ridiculous.

Honestly, I'm pretty happy that the Switch doesn't have an achievement/trophy system right now. Any time a game has those, I feel the compulsive need to get them. If they seem unattainable, it actively discourages me from playing more.

Strangely, I've found myself compelled to play most games until I beat them and/or hit the "5 hours or more" mark on my profile. Adding other achievements would drive me nuts unless they were just My Nintendo missions.

Meh, trophy system is pretty pointless so I think Nintendo shouldn't bother with it. It would be a nice option but I bet they have other problems on their mind right now.

Novocaine

Never understood why grown ass people act like boy scouts when it comes to gaming. "help that old lady over the street batch", "kill 100 enemies batch". When people start buying games they don't care about for easy trophies or don't buy a game because it hasn't an e-penis system it gets ridiculous

For some people getting achievements is the game. Not sure why it bothers you that much that grown ass people like to do it. Grown ass people like to do a lot of dumb shit, this is pretty low on the spectrum.

I like achievements/trophies but I rarely make it a thing to get them all. Souls games are the one exception I can think of. I do like the tracking element part of them i.e. How many people managed to beat the game etc.

Such as good voice chat functionality?
And Netflix, both 20 times more useful than a point system.

Redd

I never cared about it but I guess it wouldn't hurt as an option.
Yup. Still never got all the achievements or tropies in a single game. Don't care for it and never changed my play style to unlock them. Thought they were dumb then but my opinion of it has mellowed some over the years. So now add them for achievement/trophy hunters so they can find something else to complain about.

Edit- currently playing Fallout 4 with mods. Achievements are locked out because of it. I'll Live. FIGHT ME.

molnizzle

Honestly, I think it's actually a huge relief.

They are constant reminders that I never completed a particular game, and have always bothered me to some degree because of that.

I know it sounds silly, but I love their absence.

This is where I'm at as well, as a long time trophy/achievement hunter on other platforms. At first I missed having them on the Switch, but my opinion changed the more I played.

I have an addictive personality, I can't just ignore them like so many say to do here. There's always a nagging feeling that I haven't "finished" games that I'm done with on other platforms. It's extremely liberating to not feel that compulsion and just play games to enjoy them.

I realize this is a "fault" of my own, but I can't help it... so I'm glad that there's a place for me to play games like this.

The Hermit

It's so liberating when a game doesn't keep reminding you how much you haven't done.

The real question is why do you want that?

And if you think Nintendo cares about it, go read about the reward of finding all 900 korok seeds.

JJH

If this was eight years ago I would care but I'm over trophies/achievements now. I would rather have Nintendo implement something new and different.

It's so liberating when a game doesn't keep reminding you how much you haven't done.

And if you think Nintendo cares about it, go read about the reward of finding all 900 korok seeds.
You don't have to interact with it.

Why wouldn't you want people to have a feature they CLEARLY enjoy, especially when it is completely optional and you wouldn't have to interact with it if you didn't want to?

That's a stranger question to ask.

I've played 120 hours of Zelda, and I'd be way more inclined to go back and find a bunch more things in Zelda if they had an achievement/trophy system. Without one, I've moved on to the next in the backlog.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I've played 120 hours of Zelda, and I'd be way more inclined to go back and find a bunch more things in Zelda if they had an achievement/trophy system. Without one, I've moved on to the next in the backlog.

Odd example as the game does reward you for completing most tasks. And yes, a golden poop is technically just as meaningful as a little pop-up box.

Unless you were hoping for challenges like defeat 999 Moblins.

Can this argument just stop! It's so stupid lol...you can turn notifications for trophies on/off with a simple setting. If you don't like it, you can be just as"Free" as you want by disabling the feature. Why would you want less options. Makes no sense, on top of being insulting to people who like trophies. Like they are shallow or something lol...

Please...cut it out

Mzo

Achievements were ruined long ago by glitched ones I can never finish, poorly thought out goals, and being tied to their online multiplayer component. I mainly ignore them now.

MisterR

Never understood why grown ass people act like boy scouts when it comes to gaming. "Help that old lady over the street batch", "kill 100 enemies batch". When people start buying games they don't care about for easy trophies or don't buy a game because it doesn't have an e-penis system it gets ridiculous.

People value different things differently. There is no reason for all the Nintendo fans to get all upset and throw fits about it. People like what they like.

MisterR

Can this argument just stop! It's so stupid lol...you can turn notifications for trophies on/off with a simple setting. If you don't like it, you can be just as"Free" as you want by disabling the feature. Why would you want less options. Makes no sense, on top of being insulting to people who like trophies. Like they are shallow or something lol...

Please...cut it out

Yep, the constant mental gymnastics and general ass kissing of Nintendo for leaving out stuff a lot of people value is annoying. Especially when you can not participate if you don't like it.

atr0cious

Yep, the constant mental gymnastics and general ass kissing of Nintendo for leaving out stuff a lot of people value is annoying. Especially when you can not participate if you don't like it.
They don't leave it out, if you play their games you know they have them built in. Even splatoon 2 with measuring against monuments. Adding a system level feature forcing their developers to do something rather than letting them come up with it naturally, especially with Nintendo's eclectic group of devs, is how we get stagnation that's pervasive in the AAA space.

I've always looked at achievements as a hardcore gamers checklist. Maybe Nintendo sees it that way as well, and that focus doesn't fit how Nintendo wants their Switch to be portrayed. Maybe they don't want gamers to see locked achievements that a gamer can't unlock, and doesn't want their experience lessened if they can't unlock them. Just a thought.

molnizzle

Please...cut it out

You can disable the notifications but everyone still knows they're there. There's still a trophy list and a number next to your name. The compulsion doesn't go away just because there isn't a pop up.

Malice215

If achievement systems are completely optional, then leave the option up to the developers if they want to add them to their particular game instead of Nintendo forcing an achievement system on everyone at the system level.

Top Bottom