• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Office: Golden Ticket, Gossip, and Scott's Tots

I remember showing my girlfriend Scott's Tots. Always fun to see how people react. I love the episode lol I don't think it's far fetched as far as it being something that Michael would do.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Michael is a jerk for telling everyone about Stanley's affair, but painting Stanley as a victim is straight up bullshit.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
He's really racist to Kelly in the second episode. Is continually racist to Stanley. He's an asshole. The episode where they go to 'Asian Hooters' is incredibly creepy.

The problem is Steve Carell is too good and too funny to be that way. He gradually became sanitised.

VoxPop

I love Scott's Tots. Especially when the kids have somewhat forgiving/curious looks on their faces when he implies he got them laptops. Only to be offered Lithium laptop batteries. Gold.

Car in the lake is probably the actual moment Michael Scott became ruined as a character.

At that point he was just an empty vessel to be any conflicting personalities or actions the writers wanted, so debate over what kind of character he was in other episodes needs to pretty much just be limited to those episodes. There is no consistent character across the show.

MCN

Banned
Michael Scott is generally depicted as a good guy with a big heart who lacks common sense. But there are three episodes of this show that I think betray his character in such a way that he crosses the line from good natured idiot to blatantly inconsiderate or downright mean. He routinely does idiotic shit, but I think these count among his very worst offenses.

That means he's not a two-dimensional character. You know people aren't always entirely good or entirely bad, right? I don't understand some people on this forum who refuse to enjoy a character because they did a bad thing once, therefore they are entirely unlikeable.

There is no consistent character across the show.

Are there any in real life?

That means he's not a two-dimensional character. You know people aren't always entirely good or entirely bad, right? I don't understand some people on this forum who refuse to enjoy a character because they did a bad thing once, therefore they are entirely unlikeable.

Are there any in real life?

The show stopped having any claim on realism when he drove into a lake. At that point they might as well have included a laugh track.

Dinner Party is the pinnacle of Office cringe humor

It is also the official end of the series. Anything that comes after is nothing non canon filler from the followup spinoff, confusingly also called "The Office".

So Scotts Totts, Angela trying to murder Oscar, the on camera abandoning of a baby, tranqing a guy and rolling him down stairs, the whole of season 9, none of that actually happened.

God this thread reminded me that there was an actual plot that involved people thinking Pam was having an affair with one of the camera guys. That went on way longer than just one episode

So, so bad

SilentRob

I actually think Scott's Tots fits his character 100%. It's baaad. Not quality-wise, it's just really hard to watch. But totally fits Michael.

mrmickfran

Michael was fucking infuriating in gossip. Like, holy shit, this is an actual human being.

I'm currently rewatching the series and am currently considering skipping Scott's Tots just because I don't think my body can handle that level of cringe again.

I would also add Phyllis' Wedding to the OP. I think that was Michael at his worst. I definitely skipped that on my rewatch.

jchap

I hated his character. Few villains in fiction have earned my scorn more than Michael Scott.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Surprised at the amount of people who can’t watch Scott’s Tots. I think it was one of the most hilarious episodes and have rewatched it multiple times.

The thing that makes Micheal Scott's character work so well even though he's an awful manager is that throughout the series they will remind from time to time that the dude is a top notch salesman, one of the best... which is probably why he got promoted... and that's the problem, he's a great salesman but a horrible leader. This is reflected a lot in the real world, look at Wayne Gretzky, great player, terrible coach. That's what makes Scott so engaging, he's a horrible boss but you understand why he got the job.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Despite their attempts at softening him, I never saw Michael as anything but the villain of the show. An example of every corrupt, idiotic, incompetent, back stabbing, poisonous, delusional sack of shit that manages to float up to a position he doesn't belong in through chance, connection, or kissing the right ass. He is repulsive and I found myself genuinely angry quite often watching his complete buffoonery.

Salmonax

I hated his character. Few villains in fiction have earned my scorn more than Michael Scott.

Heh.

Yeah, I can’t get through Scott’s Tots. The last arc of the show I enjoyed was Michael Scott Paper Company, but overall it got pretty bad after the Sabre acquisition.

bremon

Dinner Party is the pinnacle of Office cringe humor

The dinner party is probably my favorite episode. People hate that one?

No joke, Dinner Party is definitely top 5 office episodes for me. That one has me rolling every time, there’s just so much going on to laugh at and the situation, while exaggerated, is one people experience to some degree in real life. I don’t even know what my favourite parts are. Probably the combination of Michael bragging up the tv and then wishing Jan “good luck paying for a new tv with a $0/week salary plus benefits”.

Michael Scott paper company and Jim being crapped on by the new boss is also a lot of fun.

coopolon

I have rewatched the office entirely probably 3-4 times (well, not the last few seasons cause those were awful) and I cannot rewatch scotts tots. I skip it every time. His character goes from goofy to downright evil.

Edit: to clarify, Michael usually has some sense of knowing when things have gone too far. When he framed Toby for drugs and realized it was a mistake for example.

Also, Pam having an affair with camera man, wtf? What were they thinking, I hated that so much.

U2NUMB

The thing that makes Micheal Scott's character work so well even though he's an awful manager is that throughout the series they will remind from time to time that the dude is a top notch salesman, one of the best... which is probably why he got promoted... and that's the problem, he's a great salesman but a horrible leader. This is reflected a lot in the real world, look at Wayne Gretzky, great player, terrible coach. That's what makes Scott so engaging, he's a horrible boss but you understand why he got the job.

This is so true.. many moments where they flash his real talent and you are reminded exactly why he was promoted. Very good point. The more I watch this show the more I fall in love with it and I find it brilliant often.

They also use Creed the exact right amount... and he is perfect.

Kalnoky

My wife and I just finished watching through the series on Netflix (she had never seen it, I had never finished it), and yeah, Scott's Tots still holds up as incredibly difficult to sit through.

My biggest complaint with The Office is that there was no continuity in terms of who is writing the characters.

Take for example The Dinner Party and Chair Model episodes. They air back to back, one portrays Michael as a battered domestic partner who has depth, the next one makes him a narcissistic, shallow person who only wants to date someone hot.

They also use Creed the exact right amount... and he is perfect.

Yes. We are currently rewatching it again, and it never ceases to make me laugh when Creed randomly says/does something in an episode. It’s almost like you forget he’s there, until he pops in for a few seconds every few episodes. It’s comedy gold every time he does though.

styl3s

The very last episode of the series, he doesn't even feel like the same character. It's weird.
This exact is happening to Charlie on Always Sunny. He went from being a borderline mental person to now being a normal guy who seems to be smarter than everyone now.

It's insane.

My biggest complaint with The Office is that there was no continuity in terms of who is writing the characters.

Take for example The Dinner Party and Chair Model episodes. They air back to back, one portrays Michael as a battered domestic partner who has depth, the next one makes him a narcissistic, shallow person who only wants to date someone hot.

And then there is Andy...

Choomp

Banned
I remember being so humiliated while watching Scott’s Tots, Jesus, show is really well done. Golden Ticket is hilarious too

ViciousDS

Banned
Isn't the whole point of michaels character to be insanely cringy and disliking at most times? I thought they nailed it perfectly. He's an asshole with no common sense.....the entire show....but he adds to the overall atmosphere of why the employees do what they do and we get the hilarious actions that ensue. Especially with Dwight always trying to be his friend

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I've just started my first rewatch this week and I'm just now realizing how mean-spirited Michael really is. Carell is so damn good in the role that it's easy to forget how big of an asshole the character is.

U2NUMB

I've just started my first rewatch this week and I'm just now realizing how mean-spirited Michael really is. Carell is so damn good in the role that it's easy to forget how big of an asshole the character is.

And it is buried in so many little scenes like when Philis is flashed in the parking lot. When Michael hears this he laughs and said something like "Did he even see pam? Or Karen from behind?" So much mean in that sentence..

1) Discrediting the actual act of being flashed
2) Laughing that Philis is good looking enough to be flashed
3) Throwing pam again into the shes hot and that is all that matter bucket
4) Ripping on Karen I guess basic looks and that her ass is the only thing that matters.

Everything is a joke to him if it did not happen to him.. but if it does happen to him its the biggest event in history and the whole office needs to comfort him. His B Day episode where Kevin was waiting for cancer news is also so full of cringe. So well done..

That is a couple lines of dialog at the very beginning of an episode that is similar to hundreds he said all series. I do not know how he did it but Steve turned a character like this into someone we cared about.

LOL. Serious question, is Scotts Tots hard to watch due to white guilt? This is the first time I'm seeing the "tough to watch" sentiment. I found the episode hilarious.

All of the episodes listed actually do fall in line with Michaels character I think. He does things often times without thinking of the consequences. Factor in his need to be liked and praised, (stated by Michael himself) and you have a recipe for doing something as stupid as promising a class of kids college tuition.

To get this off my chest though the one thing I can't stand is how they utterly destroyed Andy's character in the last part of the show. I wonder if it is because he was absent and the writers did it to get back at him but to go from what he was to zero only to have some mild redemption in the finale is just stupid to me.

Travo

The last episode with Michael Scott Paper company was fantastic, especially when Michael, Pam and Ryan went to negotiate the terms of the sale.
“Our balls are in your court.”

Scott's Tots was hilarious. It genuinely made me uneasy on the level of a brutal horror movie like Hostel or Martyrs. I had to watch through my fingers. I've thought about that episode a lot since Trump got elected, because it just seems like something he would do.

Vengal

Yeah I can't watch soctts tots either. Cringe comedy can he too much for me at times and that episode is just too much.

L Thammy

I never really thought of Michael as a good guy. He's not hostile (well to certain people I guess), but a lot of the time he isn't really sympathetic to other people, and even if he knows what he does is harmful he'll often do it anyway. Kinda the embodiment of casual racism/sexism/homophobia/what have you.

Scott's Tots isn't that special to me because that's just Michael. He saw an opportunity to be loved and respected and went for it without thinking about how it affected anyone but himself. The Gossip again.

Pagusas

Elden Member
LOL. Serious question, is Scotts Tots hard to watch due to white guilt? This is the first time I'm seeing the "tough to watch" sentiment. I found the episode hilarious.

This thread has made me question if I have enough empathy in life, Scott’s Tots is halarious and one of my favorite episodes. So fun to rewatch.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Surprised so few people mentioned him breaking up with Pam's mom. That shit was cold, petty and selfish as all hell. It's intentional too.

Surprised so few people mentioned him breaking up with Pam's mom. That shit was cold, petty and selfish as all hell. It's intentional too.

It also came at a time when he was getting better as a person, then he pulls that shit out of nowhere. It was actually frustrating to watch

Top Bottom