• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Crossdressing and Drag Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dock

Aren't those the kind of uniforms you'd see worn by school girls in Manga and Anime? They are indeed cute, the clothes I mean. Hope you have luck in finding a skirt your size. :)
Thanks! Yes, they are standard uniform in many schools still. The long skirts are old fashioned, but became popular with tough girl 'gang' characters, to be worn with fingerless gloves. There are lots of ebay sellers that do custom sizes, but most do short skirts. I need to ask them to make a long skirt.

Magnus Hirschfeld in Germany was probably the first advocate for gay and transgender rights, there's this movie from him, Different from the Others, which is really surprising to have com from those times.
Thanks for sharing! I'll try to watch this!

Amalthea

Banned
If you are interested into "female impersonator"-history then I recommend the book "The woman I was not born to be", it's the memories of a transwoman who started out as a drag performer in the late 50's.

I think it illustrates kinda how gay drag and drag as a form of survival for transpersons was intersectioned back in the day before the two groups started to break apart and become alienated.

It's kinda interesting when you think about it, a young, modern person like Carmen Carrera basically made her way in a fashion (no pun intended) that is already almost extinct and part of transgender history today, no matter how alive it is still in the Gay community.

Propably it's still better than starting to worship Kybele, cut of your junk in a religious frenzy and throw your genitals into the next best house to blackmail it's inhabitants to give you their female clothing. (I don't expect anyone to understand this) ;)

^^^^
We've still got a long way to go, but the fact that a good chunk of trans people don't need to do drag in order to survive and express themselves tells you how far we've come as a society.

At this point though, drag is probably still the best way for effeminate boys/men to express their femininity and artistic talents in public without fearing for their safety, fearing for their career, or getting hassled by co-workers and customers.

They looked great back then, I'd love to have a chance to get all dolled up like that! :D So pretty.

Yeah, I'd jump at the chance to dress like that.
The gowns/dresses, makeup, and hair of the 40s-60s have a really glamorous old timey look to them; it's really alluring.

dock

They looked great back then, I'd love to have a chance to get all dolled up like that! :D So pretty.

Nothing stopping you, really!
If you look around there are events where adults can go out dressed to the nines. Any 'vintage' or burlesque themed evenings, for example, or any 'ballroom' events.

The Magic Theatre in London looks like one such place, which I'm still considering at the end of the month.

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2949/15378765081_5782bc69d0_n.jpg

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3879/15195214069_4a8a291c67.jpg

That was a really fun evening! Had make-up done at Inglot, then later when we were ready my gf, a friend and I all went to the club. The club/bar wasn't great to be honest, but we got some fun photos together and I didn't feel super awkward. ^^

Edit: now links instead of inline images

Gurl, GURL...you look SO CUTE! :3

On another note:
Willam Belli, Courtney Act, and Alaska (Three incredibly sickening drag queens for anybody who isn't in the know) are American Apparel ad girls!
(Song) American Apparel Ad Girls with Courtney Act, Alaska 5000 and Willam (Courtney and Willam are bringing a lifetime supply of peanut butter legs, and you better believe they're spreadin 'em.)

Behind the scenes with the "Courtney Chronicles".
Behind The Scenes: American Apparel Ad Girls - The Courtney Chronicles Episode 10

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2949/15378765081_5782bc69d0_n.jpg

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3879/15195214069_4a8a291c67.jpg

That was a really fun evening! Had make-up done at Inglot, then later when we were ready my gf, a friend and I all went to the club. The club/bar wasn't great to be honest, but we got some fun photos together and I didn't feel super awkward. ^^

Edit: now links instead of inline images

Looking cute there :)

If we're posting pics, this is the one of me I've been happiest with recently (or ever, really...)

Reeks

dock

Thank you all! My outfit was pretty comfy, I'd like to wear it again some time.

Android18a, love your photo! Gorgeous hair, it suits you!

I've got a problem...

I'm addicted to bodycon dresses:
2253b585728548ef9c7918999762d31d.jpg

And loubs
:3
In fact, most of my dresses are bodycon minis; form-fitting clothing is so fem, I love it!
I gotta save up to buy a pair of Louboutins though; they're in the rich young white lady price range...and I'm neither rich nor a white lady.

Edit: lol gotta fix the links

dock

There's an event next weekend where I was planning on dressing, but a few weeks of stressful work and bad health have really put me off. I don't know if I have the energy to make plans, or go through with it.

I wish it wasn't such a huge fuss every time I went out dressed up, but unless I make a huge effort I just don't have the nerve.

royalan

lol
I'm actually legitimately surprised that it took you this long to post in this thread royalan.
:3
Haaay gurl, haay.

Heyyyy...

BTW Sis, have you seen the rumored season 7 queens? A MESS.

Anyway, this thread is perfect timing. After years of flirting with the idea, I'm finally doing it: I'm going as STORM for Halloween.

And I'm doing it right. No half-assed shit. I have a drag-queen thread on standby to do my makeup and everything.

My only problem is I don't know WHICH Storm to go as. She has so many iconic looks. :(

And I need to decide and start ordering stuff, like, THIS weekend. :(

Heyyyy...

BTW Sis, have you seen the rumored season 7 queens? A MESS.

Anyway, this thread is perfect timing. After years of flirting with the idea, I'm finally doing it: I'm going as STORM for Halloween.

And I'm doing it right. No half-assed shit. I have a drag-queen thread on standby to do my makeup and everything.

My only problem is I don't know WHICH Storm to go as. She has so many iconic looks. :(

And I need to decide and start ordering stuff, like, THIS weekend. :(

Omg, nope? Spill the Tea.
Are the rumored queens really that bad/bland/mediocre/etc.??? lol

On the subject of going out in drag/en femme as Storm, awesome!
Halloween is probably one of the best times to gender-bend without much hassle.
I hope everything goes well for you!

Agender but male presenting person here. I don't think I could ever get into the glammier side of drag, whether from an outsider's perspective or attempting to practice it myself, but...shit, I've had this random hankering to try on clothes intended for women, if only for wild experimentation. There isn't a huge feminine streak in me, but hey, could be fun.

There's an event next weekend where I was planning on dressing, but a few weeks of stressful work and bad health have really put me off. I don't know if I have the energy to make plans, or go through with it.

I wish it wasn't such a huge fuss every time I went out dressed up, but unless I make a huge effort I just don't have the nerve.

I know what you mean with the effort. Wanting to do it well, do it right, it's quite easy to get self concious about. And I haven't even got a halloween party and thus tenuous excuse this year!

Agender but male presenting person here. I don't think I could ever get into the glammier side of drag, whether from an outsider's perspective or attempting to practice it myself, but...shit, I've had this random hankering to try on clothes intended for women, if only for wild experimentation. There isn't a huge feminine streak in me, but hey, could be fun.

It's fun! I don't go for drag styles either, not for me, just a regular look whenever I have.

An aside - how do people deal with hair? I've worn wigs for some costumes but keeping them fixed/not getting itchy has been a pain, but I can't style my own hair anyway.

Five

Banned
An aside - how do people deal with hair? I've worn wigs for some costumes but keeping them fixed/not getting itchy has been a pain, but I can't style my own hair anyway.

I have a few wigs myself, which were especially helpful when I started cross-dressing, but the best thing I ever did was grow my hair out. It currently falls just past my shoulders.

Anastasia

When I started transitioning I got a pretty decent wig for myself, which is something I'm glad I did. My natural hair eventually got to a length where my wig became unnecessary, but is there more for convenience. I got mine from VogueWigs for around $50. The really nice ones tend to be over $100 from what I've seen.

For my hair it's slightly past my shoulders, and I have it styled with side-swept bangs. I straighten using an Onei MK-1. When I'm feeling lazy though it's easier to just pull out the wig. :p

Kater

Banned
Thought I'd ask here if anyone goes out to Halloween crossdressed. I thought about it myself but all I came up with was Sally from Nightmare Before Christmas* which would be hard to do, I would need to first stitch some dress together and get a red wig and all that. Bit much, as I'm at the moment financially not in a great spot.

*Pictures:
the-nightmare-before-christmas-sally.png

2006_nightmare_before_christmas_in_disney_010.jpg

^^^
I forgot how adorable Sally was; that would be a pretty fun costume to wear!

If I was gonna go out en femme for Halloween I'd probably dress up a Jessica Rabbit.
I've seen some beauty gurus on YT that have manage to create a pretty spot on Jessica face with their makeup (They even get her lips right), and I think it wold be fun to try and create that.
Plus, Jessica's body obviously allows for some fun padding.

Speaking of creating looks
I am going to shamelessly steel this lady's style one of these days; her makeup, nails, hair, and jewelry are perfect!
I'm especially digging that hair...I WANT THAT HAIR!

Rayis

That feel when you want to crossdress and look pretty and fierce but you're a disgusting hairy beast *sobs* I hate testosterone so much

Well I did it, headed down to the thrift shop two days in a row because I got everything too small the first time around and got myself a shirt and skirt combo I'm really happy with. At the very least, it's great not to spend my entire time wearing t-shirts and jeans, but I have to admit a skirt, even this long one, feels nice to wear for whatever reason.

One thing I'll comment on is that clothes designed for women seem a lot more complex in construction. I also have a blouse just lying around. Putting it on is a hassle, but I'm a complete pleb when it comes to clothes, so who knows?

I want stockings soon, I know that much. I think that and some lipstick/makeup and I'd be sated.

Cyberius

Some of these pictures are just wow. I've never been able to pull of super femme and, ultimately, I don't think that's my style. But I have been looking around for better shoes to go with my tights - my normal shoes are just too bulky and don't look right. I have noticed that the tights + converse combo looks real good on girls so I finally bought a pair. And wouldn't you know, tights + converse is super good on guys, too!

That feel when you want to crossdress and look pretty and fierce but you're a disgusting hairy beast *sobs* I hate testosterone so much

Yeah...testosterone can be a pain in the ass.
I mean...I'm very comfortable with my identity, but goodness me I wish puberty stopped at just making me a bit taller.
:/
I envy twinks. lol

dock

Thought I'd ask here if anyone goes out to Halloween crossdressed. I thought about it myself but all I came up with was Sally from Nightmare Before Christmas*]

I've never done it before, but I will be going out on Saturday dressed up for halloween!! :D I'm excited! I've booked myself in for a makeover at lunchtime, and my GF is going to get a makeover too. I think we're going to basically go for gothy girl style, and repurpose a black dress with some gothy accessories. Lazy, but hey!

Any advice on what make-up style to go for?

I've been wearing my stuff for a while now, and I even got the courage a couple of times to go down to the shops in it. No one was outwardly rude, but you could just tell the cashier's mannerisms were not quite natural. Like I care, though. This is great!

I might post a picture in here when I've built up enough courage.

Kater

Banned
^^^
I forgot how adorable Sally was; that would be a pretty fun costume to wear!

If I was gonna go out en femme for Halloween I'd probably dress up a Jessica Rabbit.
I've seen some beauty gurus on YT that have manage to create a pretty spot on Jessica face with their makeup (They even get her lips right), and I think it wold be fun to try and create that.
Plus, Jessica's body obviously allows for some fun padding.

Speaking of creating looks
I am going to shamelessly steel this lady's style one of these days; her makeup, nails, hair, and jewelry are perfect!
I'm especially digging that hair...I WANT THAT HAIR!
What was the movie's name that the character Jessica Rabbit was originally in? I think I saw it when I was very, very young. Long time ago.

Love the look of the lady in that picture, great hair. 😊

I've never done it before, but I will be going out on Saturday dressed up for halloween!! :D I'm excited! I've booked myself in for a makeover at lunchtime, and my GF is going to get a makeover too. I think we're going to basically go for gothy girl style, and repurpose a black dress with some gothy accessories. Lazy, but hey!

Any advice on what make-up style to go for?
Morticia (Addams Family) style, maybe?

anjelica-huston-morticia.jpg

I've been wearing my stuff for a while now, and I even got the courage a couple of times to go down to the shops in it. No one was outwardly rude, but you could just tell the cashier's mannerisms were not quite natural. Like I care, though. This is great!

I might post a picture in here when I've built up enough courage.
Good to hear when someone gets little by little a bit more confident with what they want to do, who they want to be. I wish I were as confident as you (without any help from alcoholic beverages).

What was the movie's name that the character Jessica Rabbit was originally in? I think I saw it when I was very, very young. Long time ago.
She was in the late 80s animated Disney film "Who Framed Roger Rabbit".
It's a great movie, try to watch it again if you get the chance Gato.

Does dressing like Frank N. Furter counts as crossdressing for helloween ? xD

Hahaha
Frank N. Furter probably counts as crossdressing no matter what gender somebody is.
:p

dock

I went to the Halloween party last night, and I had a great time. I got my makeup done and bought a new dress, and a couple of gothy accessories. Not a sensible use of money but I felt fancy :3. Here's a photo.

Does dressing like Frank N. Furter counts as crossdressing for helloween ? xD

Whether or not it counts, it's a perfect excuse.

I went to the Halloween party last night, and I had a great time. I got my makeup done and bought a new dress, and a couple of gothy accessories. Not a sensible use of money but I felt fancy :3. Here's a photo.

You look fantastic! I'd say it's definitely a sensible use of money. A chance to go out, look good and feel it certainly is worth it.

Plus I'd be in no position to criticise.

dock

You look fantastic! I'd say it's definitely a sensible use of money. A chance to go out, look good and feel it certainly is worth it.

Plus I'd be in no position to criticise.

Thanks! It wasn't the best makeover I've ever had, but I was able to get some good photos out of it and I had a great time.

Best of all, halloween has given me the excuse to show this in 'public'. *scary*

So far I haven't had anyone making any weird or rude comments, but it'll be interesting to see what the fallout is in the office I work, where many will have seen it on facebook. There's also the question of whether or not my family members will insult me for it. I'm hoping people don't ask too many questions, heh.

I did a sensible thing today and returned a couple of dresses which I bought and were too long or too short, which made me feel better for the accidental dress purchase, but I definitely want to keep an eye on how much I spend on this hobby in future.

dock

Update: There's been almost no response to my photos at all from coworkers. I guess we often worry more than we need to.

The most I had was "it took me two whole days to realise your photos were of you! good job with the costume!", and one "I wouldn't recognise it was you", but no teasing or joking at all.

Update: There's been almost no response to my photos at all from coworkers. I guess we often worry more than we need to.

The most I had was "it took me two whole days to realise your photos were of you! good job with the costume!", and one "I wouldn't recognise it was you", but no teasing or joking at all.

That's great dock, I'm happy to hear that your dressing hasn't caused any problems so far.
Also yeah, we do worry more often than we need to (I learned that this year when I came out to my brother as Bi) but our cautiousness isn't without merit.

That's awesome news - hope it means you do whatever makes you happy in future. Halloween must help, the ultimate excuse to kickstart. Can always point back to that for looking good and it was fun, why not continue. I guess if I just posted to my Facebook tomorrow a picture of me crossdressing there'd be a few more surprised comments though. Well, maybe not in practice, but hey. At least one person at work would mention it :p

dock

That's awesome news - hope it means you do whatever makes you happy in future. Halloween must help, the ultimate excuse to kickstart. Can always point back to that for looking good and it was fun, why not continue. I guess if I just posted to my Facebook tomorrow a picture of me crossdressing there'd be a few more surprised comments though. Well, maybe not in practice, but hey. At least one person at work would mention it :p
Yeah, I was lucky to post on the narrow window of Halloween, which in my case was posting on Sunday (Nov 2nd). It also means I can legitimately repost photos from that evening so long as I have an explanation (bleh).

I guess cosplay serves a similar purpose for many, but I feel like I missed the opportunity to get into cosplay/crossplay when I could have.

dock

How much do you feel guilty about filtering your photos?
(not that I've seen any of you in photos :eek: starting to wonder whether I should be more careful).

There are a lot of photo apps that make portraits look a lot more flattering, and I'm sometimes able to crop or filter out a lot of qualities in photos that make them masculine. Admittedly I'm just as likely to filter my regular boy-style photos, but somehow it feels more I'm presenting something super false if my girl photos look better.

Well, if people have seen it once, they might not remember to give a damn if they see it happen again. :p
Yeah, I've shared other photos of the evening since then any no-one has said anything, so it seems like a pretty good way of making the topic less taboo. Definitely encourage finding some excuse to try this. Perhaps a group costume?

How much do you feel guilty about filtering your photos?
(not that I've seen any of you in photos :eek: starting to wonder whether I should be more careful).

There are a lot of photo apps that make portraits look a lot more flattering, and I'm sometimes able to crop or filter out a lot of qualities in photos that make them masculine. Admittedly I'm just as likely to filter my regular boy-style photos, but somehow it feels more I'm presenting something super false if my girl photos look better.

Yeah, I've shared other photos of the evening since then any no-one has said anything, so it seems like a pretty good way of making the topic less taboo. Definitely encourage finding some excuse to try this. Perhaps a group costume?
Well, some of us are a bit more identifiable here with their usernames, so that's an added caution stopping photos going in here. Shame. :p

I don't tend to filter at all, but meh! If you do it anyway, why feel bad when doing it here, plus it's no more false than any other girl using makeup and filters to look good for photos. Looking good is fun.

And sod it, you've done it once, one big thing as it'd look good at a Christmas party for fun and then surely are in the world of it's not worth questioning. In an ideal world.

Five

Banned
I lost about 35 lbs of weight this year (186 → 151), and the primary motivation for doing so was wanting to look better dressed up. A lot of people told me I looked better, which was nice, and I felt better too, but mostly I'm thrilled about how some of my clothes feel on me.

There was a dress I bought at the bottom of last year that was probably the wrong size because I could barely get in or out of, but I left it in my closet as a motivator/reminder. Anyway, I tried it on again last night and it was super comfortable, and I slipped right out when I wanted to take it off. It felt amazing.

Has anyone else experienced weight loss to look better in a dress?

dock

There was a dress I bought at the bottom of last year that was probably the wrong size because I could barely get in or out of, but I left it in my closet as a motivator/reminder. Anyway, I tried it on again last night and it was super comfortable, and I slipped right out when I wanted to take it off. It felt amazing.

Has anyone else experienced weight loss to look better in a dress?
Well done on the weight loss! I bet that feels amazing. I have a few items that I can barely zip up, or can't zip up, so I'd love to have the same experience.

My situation was different, in that I didn't try dressing up until after I had lost quite a bit of weight.

I've slowly regained some of that weight and I'd love to slim down again, now that I'm more into this side of me.

I actually put off dressing for a while last year because I was dissatisfied with my weight, but instead I decided to start dressing for my size and just go with it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom