• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Dead Space Extraction Thread of Guided Dismemberment

Can't wait to get this on Monday.

Weird thing though and correct me if I'm wrong.

Anthony from Rebel FM says flamethrower is way over-powered, Mark Bozon says it's super weak.. hmm.

Sadist

DevelopmentArrested said:
Weird thing though and correct me if I'm wrong.

Anthony from Rebel FM says flamethrower is way over-powered, Mark Bozon says it's super weak.. hmm.
Bozon didn't play it vey well. The flamethrower is a bit overpowered, it can roast your enemies with ease. You'll get a lot of ammo for it when upgraded. My favourite gun would be the Rivet gun because it has unlimited ammo and especialy with kinesis it's pretty handy.

I have a question though, what's up with the "perfect reloading"? How do you acomplish that?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Sadist said:
I have a question though, what's up with the "perfect reloading"? How do you acomplish that?

It’s got an ‘active reload’ system like Gears of War. When you hit reload you’ll notice the bar move around the crosshair circle, yet there is a part around the circle that’s shaded in. If you hit the reload button a second time while it’s in this shaded in area the gun will immediately reload rather than having to wait until it goes all the way around.

‘Perfect Reloads’ are thus when you’ve successfully pulled off the ‘active reload’ feature.

And yeah, there’s no way in hell the flamethrower is underpowered. It’s probably overpowered. Not that I mind. On hard I’ve still ran into a number of points where I’ve been close to overwhelmed. Finished Chapter 5 and have died once.

I hope people are considering this game because it really does deliver.

[Nintex]

Wow, just played the second chapter and this game is awesome.
I especially like it that everyone starts freaking out, including your own character. I've played Dead Space but this game actually does a better job with the tension and freaking out, I'm constantly like, Oh god, what's going to happen next. I sure hope it stays that way

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Story Questions (spoilers from this game, the movie, and dead space):
How is it that anyone at the end of the game got infected? I can't remember if their was a note about it in Dead Space, but in Downfall the creatures just appeared from the Hive Mind in the planet. The two men were injured, but the manta Ray wasn't on board of the escape shuttle(if it was, they probably would have died or killed it). If that is indeed the case, does that mean a person would transform from a bite or a scratch?

Also, doesn't this game practically kill off the notion that nicole is even close to being alive at the end of Dead Space? Seeing as though they actually showed how the mind control works in this game. Hive mind as Aizen's hypnosis and uses it thoroughly.

Nemesis_

Oldschoolgamer said:
Story Questions (spoilers from this game, the movie, and dead space):
How is it that anyone at the end of the game got infected? I can't remember if their was a note about it in Dead Space, but in Downfall the creatures just appeared from the Hive Mind in the planet. The two men were injured, but the manta Ray wasn't on board of the escape shuttle(if it was, they probably would have died or killed it). If that is indeed the case, does that mean a person would transform from a bite or a scratch?

Also, doesn't this game practically kill off the notion that nicole is even close to being alive at the end of Dead Space? Seeing as though they actually showed how the mind control works in this game. Hive mind as Aizen's hypnosis and uses it thoroughly.

Where was it ever implied that Nicole was still alive. We were never given a "time" that her video was delivered to Isaac and we were never really told she was alive just before the Kellion boarded the Ishimura. Or am I missing something?

As for the "process"

To be honest I've never really understood how it worked. I just thought that the marker had these crazy powers that could drive someone mad and do something on a cellular level to encourage mutation. Was I wrong? =P

Sadist

Thanks @ Eat Children!

And [Nintex], it will only get better from there :)

About the story:
In Downfall, the two men escaping with the shuttle had one of the guys dead girlfriend with them and she changed in a Necromorph right? When the security force arrived at the crashed shuttle it already had the fleshy substance lying around.

Ricker

I'm getting this game ,it looks great and all I just hope I can get use to Wii controls so I can actually enjoy it...I tried with the Conduit but I just found the game too hard with the shaky aim of the Wiimote(maybe I need to recalibrate with my LCD or be closer to the set,10 feet right now).

The Hermit

Just finished the first chapter and I am now wondering if I should go on or play Dead Space first...

My brother is considering buying a PS3 soon, but it could be next month or in 6 months... will I lose too much of the story if I play Extraction first?

kinggroin

Banned
VOOK said:
Just finished the first chapter, very good - a twist!

Graphics so far have been good, 60fps most of the time with a little dip here and there. Lighting is great.

60fps?

You sure?

From everything I've seen in videos, it's barely 30, with an occasional jump to 60 here and there.

Baiano19 said:
Just finished the first chapter and I am now wondering if I should go on or play Dead Space first...

My brother is considering buying a PS3 soon, but it could be next month or in 6 months... will I lose too much of the story if I play Extraction first?

Isn't this game a prequel?

Sadist

fizzelopeguss said:
Isn't this game a prequel?
Yes it is.

The only real spoiler you'll get is the *WATCH OUT, REAL SPOILER HERE*
suicide video of Nicole when you're nearing the end of Extraction

The Hermit

Whoa, I just found out theres a comic book with the game, how awesome is that?! :D

Apparently the story is much deeper than I though... consider me interested in the movie.
Also, since nobody answered me, I think I´ll watch in the youtube the first Dead Space game.

Minamu

Sadist said:
Yes it is.

The only real spoiler you'll get is the *WATCH OUT, REAL SPOILER HERE*
suicide video of Nicole when you're nearing the end of Extraction
I know it's not really technically possible,
but it would've been kinda cool if the player had to hold the camera & film that message :lol Talk about a mind f*ck :)
I don't have Extraction so I don't know how it plays out. Watch out!

Ricker

Baiano19 said:
Whoa, I just found out theres a comic book with the game, how awesome is that?! :D

Apparently the story is much deeper than I though... consider me interested in the movie.
Also, since nobody answered me, I think I´ll watch in the youtube the first Dead Space game.

Sadist answered you...it's a Prequel so you would actually be playing them in the right order...I wouldn't spoil Dead Space playthrough watching it on YouTube....didn't read his spoiler though but I don't think this would make a huge difference in the continuity.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I would really recommend playing Dead Space before Extraction if you want the proper experience.

Extraction might be a prequel but it's very clear that the original's mood and feel was built in a way that you'd experience it nearly without any knowledge of what had happened. Dead Space is a more personal story. The game centres around Issac and his personal story. The tension and atmosphere, as well as the plot twists, work far better when they're experienced fresh.

Extraction is fantastic, but it works in a way where it's almost like a mini-series. You play as multiple characters thus see things from different perspectives, and also for shorter periods of time. It also looks at the events from an overall second angle, and there are particular set pieces and characters that are relevant to Dead Space but 'spoil' the Issac experience if played first.

The best example I can give, and dont read this spoiler if you haven't played Dead Space, involves
Nicole's inclusion in the plot. You see her kill herself towards the end of Extraction, which is a massive spoiler on Issac's half, even if it is kinda predictable in Dead Space.

Im sure Dead Space would still be a lot of fun playing post-Extraction, but a lot of why I loved the feel of Dead Space was because I had no idea what had happened or what was going on.

maxmars

EatChildren said:
I hope people are considering this game because it really does deliver.

Got it yesterday since I really dig on rail shooters on Wii.. It's very good in that the narrative is spot on, and the gameplay really goes with the game atmosphere. It's probably the only "lightgun" game that you play for the story (or should I say stories), much better than RE:UC in that regard.

lopaz

Banned
I was wondering, does this game have a calibration option to remove the pointer onscreen like other Wii lightgun games?

EatChildren

lopaz said:
I was wondering, does this game have a calibration option to remove the pointer onscreen like other Wii lightgun games?

Not that I've seen.

[Nintex]

Finished it yesterday and damn this game is good.
The game is quite scary too, crawling in the vents and all I was on the edge of my seat most of the time and the visuals and sounds are quite immersive. They nailed the voice acting too. You can actually feel the despair and crazyness in this game and it doesn't feel forced like most other titles. Usually you're just hanging around and suddenly some weird shit happens or you'll have to enter a tube and you just know you're fucked.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I played it for a couple hours and it is indeed a very unique game. I had never played a good story driven light gun shooter, and it's impressive. EA delivers again at exploiting wii strengths to offer a new experience.

Myr

Banned
I love how Visceral again proved the haters wrong, just like they did with the first Dead Space. Awesome.

Kenka

You Dead Space fans are way to few.

The game opened at 16th position in the Wii only chart in the UK this week. Sadly reminds on how the original game did back in the days.

Sadist

Kenka said:

The game opened at 16th position in the Wii only chart in the UK this week. Sadly reminds on how the original game did back in the days.
Fuck.

A Top 40 ranking is out of the question. Way out of the question. I expected it though.

scitek

Wasn't the street date broken by some stores over there? I thought the game hadn't been officially released yet.

[Nintex]

scitek said:
Wasn't the street date broken by some stores over there? I thought the game hadn't been officially released yet.
The street date was broken all over Europe, some stores had it two weeks before launch(october 1st). EA screwed up the launch but if they aren't going to put their marketing muscle behind it the sales won't increase. I sure hope Dead Space Extraction will get a Wii pricedrop bump and who knows maybe it did better in the US...

Sadist

I releases in two days in America, so we'll see.
I still don't understand why the street date was broken in Europe.

Alcibiades

EatChildren said:
I would really recommend playing Dead Space before Extraction if you want the proper experience.

Extraction might be a prequel but it's very clear that the original's mood and feel was built in a way that you'd experience it nearly without any knowledge of what had happened. Dead Space is a more personal story. The game centres around Issac and his personal story. The tension and atmosphere, as well as the plot twists, work far better when they're experienced fresh.

Extraction is fantastic, but it works in a way where it's almost like a mini-series. You play as multiple characters thus see things from different perspectives, and also for shorter periods of time. It also looks at the events from an overall second angle, and there are particular set pieces and characters that are relevant to Dead Space but 'spoil' the Issac experience if played first.

The best example I can give, and dont read this spoiler if you haven't played Dead Space, involves
Nicole's inclusion in the plot. You see her kill herself towards the end of Extraction, which is a massive spoiler on Issac's half, even if it is kinda predictable in Dead Space.

Im sure Dead Space would still be a lot of fun playing post-Extraction, but a lot of why I loved the feel of Dead Space was because I had no idea what had happened or what was going on.

Man I'd really like to get Dead Space hopefully EA gives Wii owners a chance to play it. Despite all the positive buzz surrounding Dead Space Extraction I wouldn't want to play it without the full context given by the first game.

I've seen TV commercials and lots of internet ads so you could tell EA is spending money but the best marketing move (in terms of moving units) they could make is releasing Dead Space which would surely ignite interest in the spinoff.

Sadist

codecow said:
I'm glad you guys like it and that the haters have been silenced.
Spread the good news over there will you :p

Alcibiades said:
Man I'd really like to get Dead Space hopefully EA gives Wii owners a chance to play it. Despite all the positive buzz surrounding Dead Space Extraction I wouldn't want to play it without the full context given by the first game.
So, you're still waiting for an Dead Space (the 360/PS3/PC game) release on Wii?

EatChildren

Kenka said:

Depressing, as this is a game that really deserves to sell well, not just because it's actually really good, but because it also spits in the face of all those who thought this was going to be some cheap franchise cash-in. The whole game is such high quality that it really feels like Visceral and EA gave genuine effort.

Hopefully word of mouth and advertising helps it pick up sales.

This is the game to make me borrow back the Wii that I sold to my mother-in-law. I intend to borrow it, buy this and Madworld and then trade them in to buy her EA Sports Active for Christmas. I'm so excited about this game I cannot tell you.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
kinggroin said:
60fps?

You sure?

From everything I've seen in videos, it's barely 30, with an occasional jump to 60 here and there.
Err, you do realize that 99% of the game videos you'll find around the internet are encoded at 30 fps, right? Even if the game is 60 fps, you wouldn't be able to tell in a 30 fps video.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
EatChildren said:
Depressing, as this is a game that really deserves to sell well, not just because it's actually really good, but because it also spits in the face of all those who thought this was going to be some cheap franchise cash-in. The whole game is such high quality that it really feels like Visceral and EA gave genuine effort.

Hopefully word of mouth and advertising helps it pick up sales.

Alot of people will just see it as "Wii onrail shooter #78" with the excuse that "i won't buy some onrail shooter for full price and wait till it drops to 20$" and just ignores it.

Sadist

Game is getting attention form Metacritic though...

25g5v6p.jpg

Vagabundo

[Nintex] said:
The street date was broken all over Europe, some stores had it two weeks before launch(october 1st). EA screwed up the launch but if they aren't going to put their marketing muscle behind it the sales won't increase. I sure hope Dead Space Extraction will get a Wii pricedrop bump and who knows maybe it did better in the US...

I checked in the biggest Game here in Dublin and it has not been released yet. Very o

I just watched the GT review, I think I'm gonna pick the game up now. Can this be played with a Nyko Perfect shot? Or are there times where that would be awkward, such as pressing A or AB at the same time?

Gattsu25

Banned
VOOK said:
Well here is my video of the first 15 minutes - here. Contains spoilers obviously and maybe even some for Dead Space. Gotta work on my video editing more. Dailymotion Link for all at work
Wow, I had high hopes for this game but that looked even better than I was expecting.

So fucking sexy...the narrative is so well done.

Stink

Gryphter said:
I just watched the GT review, I think I'm gonna pick the game up now. Can this be played with a Nyko Perfect shot? Or are there times where that would be awkward, such as pressing A or AB at the same time?

no, you can pick Zapper mode which puts the A button function on Z. I've played it with my Nyko PS just fine.

Impressions after first chapter:

+ Graphics are very solid, particularly facial animations. Second good-looking Wii game on a big HDTV after Galaxy.
+ Gameplay (shooting mechanics) are solid, Gears style active reload is a great idea.
+ Story and dialogue seems very well-written so far. Huge surprise at end of first chapter.

Just beat Chapter 2. Story gets better, ending was pretty intense. Only 3 stars! Also missed an optional path which sucks...

After 1.5 hours of play.. 8/10 so far. Makes me want to go back after and play DS again.

Sadist

Another question, I picked up several Audiologs, but only one opened itself after retrieving it. The others won't, am I forgetting something?

EatChildren

Sadist said:
Another question, I picked up several Audiologs, but only one opened itself after retrieving it. The others won't, am I forgetting something?

Are you sure your Wii Remote speaker is up? I've had them all open for me. I quite like the way the audio logs come out of the remote, but its annoying when they play automatically and there are enemies rushing you or characters talking.

Would have been nice if it paused like it does with text logs.

codecow

It's a shame this thread is buried down near the bottom on launch day in North America. There is a lot of activity here at the office!

Top Bottom