The Official Dead Space Extraction Thread of Guided Dismemberment

Dec 12, 2006
38,766
1
0
eviloreisarapist
plagiarize said:
Here are some shots I captured from within Dolphin. it doesn't run at full speed for me, though i'm tweaking to see if I can fix that, so I doubt i'll be bothered to play it much other than to get captures, but here is Dead Space Extraction in HD with anti aliasing and all that jazz for anyone that wants to see the great art design that Visceral and Eurocom have put together for this game.

Clearly these shots do not represent what the game looks like on the Wii, but I figured people here may still be interested to see them. Tinypic has downscaled these a tad. Vulomedia my usual image hosts seem to be dead :(
that looks insane. wow.

unrelated to those pictures (honestly) my interest went up reading some various impressions on other forums. Reading more here, 6-8 hours seems long enough.
 
Jun 25, 2005
38,456
0
0
Biggest problems I had:

-No way to check overall stats.
-Logs aren't saved. Once they've finished playing or have been closed, they're gone. Strange decision, considering that several logs are parts of a whole and scattered around different chapters.
-Feels too short. The story could have easily sustained itself for another chapter or two. Like some reviews said, it feels like it's building up to an epic climax, then it just leaves you hanging.


Still a great game though, and I hope that they expand on the concept.
 
Nov 29, 2006
13,597
1
915
Ontario
Finished it, 4 entertaining evenings of play. Probably around 6 - 8 hours, not bad considering the original Dead Space is 10 - 12 hours with backtracking and walking around slowly in fear. :D

How the heck is this "history" thing supposed to work on the Nintendo channel? Says I've played twice for 3hrs 51 minutes, when I've actually played double that. Stupid useless Nintendo channel.

The ending is VERY abrupt, though I like how it ends
exactly where Dead Space begins, and how the garbled spooky radio message you hear at the start of DS turns out to be from Lexine
and then they go and pull out that cliffhanger. They've for sure gone Valve-like with the Half-Life vagueness, the game probably leaves more questions than it answers, but it's set up like they've for sure got more story to tell. I'm looking forward to playing through again, it's just the right length for a play-through and I'll be paying more attention to the detail next time, I'm sure there's more exposition buried in all the weird voices you hear throughout the game.
 
Sep 18, 2005
3,210
0
0
so is this going to cut-it gameplay-wise for someone who doesn't really care that it's story-driven? is the short length going to make for a short game, or is there a lot of worthwhile stuff to go back and play for?

has anyone played through the whole thing co-op? is it basically symmetrical, or does p1 get to do more stuff?
 
birdchili said:
so is this going to cut-it gameplay-wise for someone who doesn't really care that it's story-driven? is the short length going to make for a short game, or is there a lot of worthwhile stuff to go back and play for?

has anyone played through the whole thing co-op? is it basically symmetrical, or does p1 get to do more stuff?

Well the first things you ask are sorta subjective on what you what or expect. As for the co-op. It split. You both get to look around at various points and you have to take turns doing the hacking mini games, and you both work together to seal doors and entry ways off. :D
 
May 16, 2005
4,392
0
0
48
Italy
www.facebook.com
NZNova said:
I love this game! I'm not normally a huge wii fan but I'm having a blast with it. Fantastic stuff. :D
Wii rails shooters get a lot of heat and derision around here but so far they've provided me the best entertainment on the console outside Nintendo offerings and a few selected third party games.
 

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Feb 25, 2006
6,317
0
0
NoVA
Scarecrow said:
So, can anyone explain that last cutscene to me?
1.) Either McNeil or Weller died (though there's no reason they both couldn't have kicked the bucket) and got implanted/infected by one of those flying mantis necromorphs. This would assume that one of the mantis things somehow snuck aboard during the chaos of the escape.

2.) A "full-grown" necromorph snuck aboard at sometime during the escape. I actually favor this interpretation since Lexene appears to be looking at something coming at her from outside of the front crew cabin (where the three of them were gathered when they left the ship, and presumably where they still are, depending on how soon after takeoff this takes place). I actually hope it's Eckhardt since that would round up all the core characters rather nicely.

I didn't pick up all the logs though, so the ones I missed may have had implications for the ending that rule out the above interpretations.

Did they ever give us an explanation about why Lexene is so important? I know that the Unitologists have been looking for her, but why?
 
Why Lexine is so important:

As Eckhardt stated at the ending of chapter eight (When he shot Weller, when Weller discovered him talking with someone from earth) Lexine seems to be the only person who can withstand the effects of the Marker. That's why they want to research her. Another clue for this fact would be in Chapter 5, when Nicole is done with examining Lexine. She says: "You're fine Lexine, but your brain shows abnormal high activity"
 
Jul 24, 2006
7,383
4
0
I rented this game last night and my best friend and I beat it in one sitting. It was so good we decided we're going to buy the game to support the developers. If more on rail shooters was like this, I would be one happy gamer.

I really like this new genre of on rail horror games. I've never seen it done like it is in Dead Space Extraction.

Game was fan-fuckin-tastic.
 

Fantastical

Death Prophet
May 3, 2008
20,549
0
0
USA
maxmars said:
Wii rails shooters get a lot of heat and derision around here but so far they've provided me the best entertainment on the console outside Nintendo offerings and a few selected third party games.
I seriously want this now. My friend and I played HoTD 2&3 all weekend, and now I'm dying for some more on-rails action. I realize that this is much different from HoTD though.

The glow worm stuff sounds the most interesting to me.
 
Oct 19, 2004
32,841
0
0
Los Angeles, CA
Played the first couple of chapters (just got the game finally today), and it's even better than I remembered from E3 :D Having a blast.

But man I hate missing stuff :lol This game sort of kills the part of me that obsessively combed through every room in Dead Space to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

Oh well, short game from all reports, so multiple playthroughs :D
 
Apr 3, 2009
305
0
0
Haven't gotten around to buying this yet. But played the first chapter at a friends house, and it looks awesome. Even on his ridiculously big TV. Best realistic looking game on the Wii by far. Will be picking this up as soon as I finish a couple of other games.
 
Feb 7, 2008
5,962
0
0
Finished the first three chapters in co-op last night, fantastic game. I like how involved the story and characters are with the action. There's no real break between the story and the game, it's been a lot of fun so far. Can't wait to play more.
 
Jan 6, 2007
5,044
53
1,015
41
Canada
I bought this day 1, and waited 'till we could get the family together.(the gamer part of the family) First, this is a nit pick and hardly a real issue so I'll make it brief. Why oh why doesn't the manual have any color on the inside pages? Box art looks good, a little splash on the disk, the manual cover, but nothing inside. And to make it worse, the manual is like-10 pages or something with no screens, character/weapon art, nothing. Drop-kick the Olsen twins you penny pinching pricks!!!!

...Moving on, I only spent 3.5 hours playing this game so far, so my opinions may not be entirely objective, but I'll lay it out. DSE looks really good, I was satisfied with how the game was presented, and despite the limited range of monsters I had a jolly ol' time dismembering them. The "fix the circuit", and "rivet" mini games make things interesting, but hardly add any motivation... no frantic emotion to the game. I was hooked at first to the story/setting immediately because I love sci-fi and horror, I figured this would be sex, but I was surprised at how disinterested I was after the first hour or so. There's waaaaaay too much information to pay attention to when sprinkled throughout the game, I much prefer story segments between action chapters. The story became a huge distraction from monster killing, kinda made it difficult to become immersed in the atmosphere. (you could almost say there was no atmosphere-I'm exaggerating I know)Before long we were talking about other things between zombie killing, just a very disjointed experience all around.

It could very well be that having company over to share the experience killed my enjoyment...but I'm not sure. We had get togethers for RE:UC and had loads of fun, solid-hart pumping gameplay, solid graphics. And again later with HotD Overkill, sure it looks like all kinds of ass, but playing that game was genuinely addictive-pure fun, we couldn't stop playing!!! Not the case with DSE, but we're giving it another shot this week end :) so who knows, maybe my tune will change.
 

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Apr 8, 2005
15,737
1
0
twitter.com
Color me surprised, no wait, shocked.
This game is FUCKING GREAT.

Such a perfect companion to the Dead Space HD experience, now I'm really pleases they went for this kind of game.
The twist they put in, like a moviegame rail shooter, fits perfectly and has me hooked in story mode, I was definitely approaching the game in the wrong way looking at the videos before (I was disappointed when finding out you couldn't aim cursor-less, when this game isn't supposed at all to be played like a lightgun shooter... and now I'm glad that's the case).

It also looks INSANE for a Wii game, the bext case of realistic looking characters in a Wii game and a clever lightin direction to help underline what's best, hide what needed to be hidden and helping out the engine: the awesome animation, mo-cap and camera direction it's the icing on the cake. I think if you could see this game in HD with AA it would be the closest thing to a proper Wii HD game. Probably someone has alreaady toyed with the game with the Dolphin emulator, but I don't have a chance to do it.

I'm also happy that Extraction retained everything that made Dead Space's sound engineering simply amazing and also one of the best experience I had with my HT system.

This is a game that HD-guys usually scoffing at Wii games that are not Nintendo's should really consider buying.

Thumbs up!
 
Feb 7, 2008
5,962
0
0
Finished it over the course of three nights, great game for anyone who wants to experience a very well presented story with some good light gun action.

2 minor gripes I can see with the game though: The story sections aren't skippable, which is a little annoying when combined with the only major gripe below. If you get bothered by story getting in the way of your zombie/monster shooting action, then this might just lean a little too far in to story-land for some players.

Second minor gripe was the size of the aiming reticles. This was the same in Umbrella Chronicles, it's sometimes difficult to tell what you're aiming at when enemies are quite far away, especially in co-op when there's two of those things floating around. At least here they provide you with a well designed reticle complete with ammo counter. Only bothered me on a couple of occasions, but that's why it's a minor gripe.

Major Gripe: Stability. The game crashed on me two times. First time was a hard crash, everything froze and there was a buzzing noise, had to hold the Wii power button to turn the thing off. Then on the last level the camera stopped moving as an enemy crawled along a wall over a bridge, and even though the enemies were dead the game wouldn't move on to the next scene. I was still able to shoot and go into the pause menu which has a restart level option, so that's what I did. I was able to recreate the glitch a second time by shooting that enemy crawling across the wall as quickly as possible, while the camera is still moving. On my third attempt I simply didn't shoot that enemy until the camera had completed it's movement, and continued on my merry way. I also witnessed this glitch in Umbrella Chronicles(on a different console) when a door wouldn't open even after I'd killed all the enemies on the screen, so it might just be a way that developers are loading data for light gun shooters that taxes the system in a different way than most games. Who knows, but it was a little disappointing to have to restart the levels three times, and as I said with minor gripe 1, you can't skip the story sections at all (because they're so well interwoven with the gameplay).

Overall I loved the experience and it's the best thing I've played on Wii this year. Some of the story and action moments in the game are really entertaining and, as others have said, the character models faces are really expressive. This is a step above what we've seen so far from Wii games in the graphics department.
 

modeps

Neo Member
Mar 17, 2008
274
0
0
Connecticut
splitkick.com
Dead Man Typing said:
Finished it over the course of three nights, great game for anyone who wants to experience a very well presented story with some good light gun action.

2 minor gripes I can see with the game though: The story sections aren't skippable, which is a little annoying when combined with the only major gripe below. If you get bothered by story getting in the way of your zombie/monster shooting action, then this might just lean a little too far in to story-land for some players.

Second minor gripe was the size of the aiming reticles. This was the same in Umbrella Chronicles, it's sometimes difficult to tell what you're aiming at when enemies are quite far away, especially in co-op when there's two of those things floating around. At least here they provide you with a well designed reticle complete with ammo counter. Only bothered me on a couple of occasions, but that's why it's a minor gripe.

Major Gripe: Stability. The game crashed on me two times. First time was a hard crash, everything froze and there was a buzzing noise, had to hold the Wii power button to turn the thing off. Then on the last level the camera stopped moving as an enemy crawled along a wall over a bridge, and even though the enemies were dead the game wouldn't move on to the next scene. I was still able to shoot and go into the pause menu which has a restart level option, so that's what I did. I was able to recreate the glitch a second time by shooting that enemy crawling across the wall as quickly as possible, while the camera is still moving. On my third attempt I simply didn't shoot that enemy until the camera had completed it's movement, and continued on my merry way. I also witnessed this glitch in Umbrella Chronicles(on a different console) when a door wouldn't open even after I'd killed all the enemies on the screen, so it might just be a way that developers are loading data for light gun shooters that taxes the system in a different way than most games. Who knows, but it was a little disappointing to have to restart the levels three times, and as I said with minor gripe 1, you can't skip the story sections at all (because they're so well interwoven with the gameplay).

Overall I loved the experience and it's the best thing I've played on Wii this year. Some of the story and action moments in the game are really entertaining and, as others have said, the character models faces are really expressive. This is a step above what we've seen so far from Wii games in the graphics department.
Agree with everything... except it didnt crash at all for me. I loved it and was completely surprised at how much I enjoyed. The reticles were a huge issue in co-op... lots of obscuring far away enemies. Managable, but annoying as hell.
 

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Sep 22, 2005
12,696
1
0
Finally got this last night... and played the first level.

I started the game on Hard. I'm wondering, how hard is hard? I'm kind of OK with railed lightgun shooters... I just assumed that since there was no easy mode, and normal was default, it would be too easy?

I was able to get past the first level without dying too much. Should I restart on Normal? Does it get crazy hard later on hard?
 
FlyinJ said:
Finally got this last night... and played the first level.

I started the game on Hard. I'm wondering, how hard is hard? I'm kind of OK with railed lightgun shooters... I just assumed that since there was no easy mode, and normal was default, it would be too easy?

I was able to get past the first level without dying too much. Should I restart on Normal? Does it get crazy hard later on hard?
Nah, you'll be okay. Maybe later on when you come across a boss you'll die once or twice, but stick with hard.
 
Sep 18, 2005
3,210
0
0
Dead Man Typing said:
The story sections aren't skippable
this is doubly-annoying since (i think) you need to get high scores in the story mode to unlock stuff - *requiring* you to play sections over and over again to get higher rankings.

they should have made everything unlockable in the score-attack mode (which you seem to unlock just by playing through the story). it's not like the story is so good i want to watch it more than once, but i'm sure going to play the shoot-the-monsters levels multiple times.

i'm having quite a bit of fun with it, but it's decidedly un-scary.
 
Oct 13, 2008
3,592
0
0
i think some of us...made mistakes. we may have been too hasty about this game, even if we had good reason to.

what's important now is that we accept we were all wrong in our own way and move on. for the good of the neogaf community
 

modeps

Neo Member
Mar 17, 2008
274
0
0
Connecticut
splitkick.com
stuminus3 said:
How completely random and out of place is that scene? :lol
It isn't really, it fits with the story.... but the ESRB wasn't told about this nooditys! oh noes!

Content descriptors: Blood and Gore, Intense Violence, Strong Language

Rating summary:
This is a first-person shooter in which players lead a group of survivors across a space colony filled with infected humanoids. Players shoot their way through hordes of alien and humanoid creatures while looking for the source of the infection. Players use an assortment of futuristic weapons (a "Ripper," a "Plasma Cutter," "Pulse Rifles," and flamethrowers) against the creatures; most damage results in dismemberment, decapitation, and large spurts of blood. Dismembered humans and monsters are littered across the environment with floors and walls often splattered with blood. Enemies scream and grunt throughout the game from weapon impact or during attacks. Strong profanity (e.g., "f*ck" and "sh*t") can be heard in the dialogue.
 

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Apr 8, 2005
15,737
1
0
twitter.com
Dead Space Extraction has just became my favourite game ever to be played with USB Loader (Prime 3 in second place and Overkill in 3rd)!

What a friggin' awesome app, it just gives this game a much more cohesive experience so that the atmosphere (which plays a major part in what makes this game so good) it's never broken down by the otherwise (a bit too) long disc-loading doors.

The game really benefits a lot from it, I mean the game (suprise!) is very good but with USB Loader it just gained a whole point in a 1 to 10 scale.
Now the doors open instantly, it really benefits the game's flow and emotional tension, especially when there's some frantic escape gamescen; also, the longest loading I had was just a couple of seconds for that one in the mid of the first level (which was 10 seconds circa before, playing with the disc).

The game never crashed on me though, even when playing through disc-loading.

Also, I reduced the camera shaking to less than half and I play with aim assist on (it just makes the reticule turn red when you're above an item/monster), this two little thing are making me enjoy the game even more!
 
Oct 15, 2008
1,287
0
0
NoCal
It is a shame nobody bought this. As much as everyone made fun of Frank Gibeau's "experiment" it will actually influence the SKU plan with respect to the Wii just like he said in his interview.

Glad you fellas liked it though!