• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Dead Space Extraction Thread of Guided Dismemberment

Sadist

2i8hrfn.jpg

The Official Dead Space Extraction Thread of Guided Dismemberment

Genre: Surivival Horror, Guided First Person Experience (AKA, rail-shooter!)
Platform: Nintendo Wii
Developer: Visceral Games/Eurocom
Publisher: EA
Releasedate:
- North-America: September 29, 2009
- Japan: October 1, 2009
- Europe: October 2, 2009

Modes: Singleplayer, 2-Player cooperative multiplayer

Boxart

- Angry North American boxart
2a7eg0g.jpg

- Scared European boxart
25rcolh.jpg

So what’s this all about?

In this thread we will talk about the Wii exclusive game, Dead Space Extraction. Announced at the third quarter fiscal earnings call in February, many thought it would be a port of the 360/PS3 game to Wii. A few weeks after EA revealed Dead Space Extraction to be a prequel. Not only that, since then we know it’s a “Guided First Person” experience. In other words, it’s a more fancy word for rail shooter. Still, with all the news and impressions coming in, the game seems to be very cool.

Looking at the story, the game will take place before the animated movie Dead Space Downfall and focuses on a group of colonists from Aegis VII, who come in contact with the Necromorphs. The cast will obviously try to escape and shoot their way trough the terrible space zombies. The character Lexine seems to play a big role in the game. Players will use the Wiimote to take aim and indeed, dismember limbs and killing off enemies. Sure, it sounds like your average railshooter, but in Extraction you can expect puzzles and branching pathways, so the games seems more like an adventure than a railshooter. Also the Glow-worm will be included, a little lamp which you will use to light up the darkness. You need to charge it up by waving the Wiimote. Sounds silly, but you’ll need it when monsters ambush you in the dark. Features seen in the original Dead Space like zero gravity, stasis and kinesis are also represented in the game. Extraction also has a drop in/out co-op function and features new enemies and weapons.

SCREENS

dead-space-20090217093831088_640w.jpg

dead-space-extraction--20090408021614533_640w.jpg

dead-space-extraction--20090429000841658_640w.jpg

dead-space-extraction--20090525030854130_640w.jpg

dead-space-extraction--20090528105101716_640w.jpg

TRAILERS/Gameplay

Reveal Trailer
Storytrailer
Character video
E3 ‘09 Trailer
Developer Walktrough

REVIEWS

Game Informer - Dead Space: Extraction review

(7-Reiner)

The horror of being hunted in the vacuum of space never quite takes grip in Dead Space: Extraction, a Wii-exclusive prequel to the exceptional Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 space drama. Whether that's due to the perspective switch from third- to first-person, the lack of dynamic lightning, or weaker scripted scares can be debated. One thing is certain: I didn't jump once while playing this game. Without a suspenseful atmosphere, there isn't much to fear, or, conversely, to draw you in.

(8.75-Meagan) Second Opinion

A refreshing surprise amongst a sea of unsatisfying Wii adaptations, Dead Space: Extraction's unfaltering intensity and intriguing storyline makes the game worth of the Dead Space moniker. New monsters, weapons, and characters expand upon the groundwork laid by the original thriller, and the realistic execution and pace of gameplay makes it easy to forget that your are on rails. Responsive controls, stellar voice acting, impressive visuals, and noteworthy unlockables make the game's gravitational pull that much stronger.

Nintendo Power said:
Kudos to EA for bringing this Mature-rated franchise to the Wii and for putting some real effort behind it. Don't let the "guided experience" label scare you. [Nov 2009, p.84] Score: 80

Eurogamer said:
Luckily for a game with such unapologetic cinematic pretensions, Dead Space: Extraction does a fine job of weaving an engaging sci-fi narrative into a slick action game. Far from being a stripped-down side-show to the main event, Extraction provides yet another reminder of how brainlessly entertaining the on-rails shooter can be when it's done properly. Score: 80

Full Review here

Official Nintendo Magazine UK said:
Sure, its very nature dictates it's a dumbed down take on a sophisticated shooter but it's a classy, atmospheric and very exciting action title nonetheless, pipping Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles and House Of The Dead to the Wii's best blaster crown. Score: 84

Full Review here

Computer & Videogames said:
A game that doesn't know what it wants to be and ends up much less exciting than it should have been. Atmospheric but empty. Score: 70

IGN said:
When news first broke that Dead Space Extraction was going to be a light gun game, many fans of the original game (myself included) hoped for the best, but also were saddened a bit to hear that the franchise wouldn’t be a true Dead Space game at heart. After playing every mission, completing every challenge, and maxing out every weapon the game, however, I happily stand corrected. Extraction won’t scare you like the 360 predecessor did, but EA’s new Visceral Studios and Eurocom teamed up to deliver a Dead Space experience Wii fans could be proud of (and franchise fans would actually want to play), and they succeeded in every possible way. The origin story is well executed, the gameplay is frantic and fun, the use of stasis, secondary weapon fire, telekinesis, and zero gravity all make a return, and strategic dismemberment is now the only way to do Wii light gun games as far as I’m concerned.

Extraction isn’t like its 360 brother, but it is a true Dead Space experience, and the game is not only packed with content, but also very polished. If it were up to me I’d change a few of cheesy lines, add some much-needed scares, and rethink some of the bland bosses, but if the question is “Can a light gun game truly feel like a real Dead Space experience” the answer is a resounding “Yes.” If EA doesn’t push the series in a more traditional direction on Wii, hopefully we’ll get a sequel to Extraction that takes the groundwork established here and pushes it even further. If you love Dead Space or fancy a good light gun game now and then you owe it to yourself to pick up Extraction. As far as this reviewer is concerned Dead Space rules the point-and-shoot roost on Wii. I’ve played the hell out of EA’s competition, and Dead Space sits at the top of the pile. Score: 8.5

Full review here

EDGE magazine said:
Dead Space Extraction 8/10

"The title of Best On-Rails Gun Game Ever isn't the most prestigious, so let's try this; Dead Space Extraction is the Citizen Kane of on-rails gun games, or at the very least the Towering Inferno. But where other on-rails games sit comfortably within walls that have existed since Virtua Cop, Extraction thrashes about until the walls buckle. It's better designed, writen, acted & directed than 99% of any genre's games."

"An on-rails shooter it may be, but those rails are a work of art. With barely a pause for breath they plunge, bank and sometimes even break, launching you into the unknown before you crash onto a new, entirely unexpected course."

"Dead Space was a meticulously engineered survival horror, and the creepiest thing about Extraction is the ease with which it pulls that apart and rebuilds it as somthing else."

"Extraction is not just a gun game that happens to work on Wii; it's a gun game that couldn't work on anything else. Meanwhile, it's sharp writing, multinational cast and knockout looks, which owe a lot to some very moody lighting, lend it a multiplex charm that more than makes up for one notable foul-up; a poorly signposted boss battle."

Regarding German, Swiss and Austrian gamers:

- German version is cut, blood, dismemberment and gore are reduced
- Austrian gamers can expect that most austrian shops will offer the uncut PEGI-rated version (easily noteable on the PEGI sticker on cover instead of the butt-ugly and huge FSK sign) and not the cut FSK "Ab 18 Jahre" version. So Austrians should be safe.

Thanks @ iamaustrian for the heads-up!

Special offer for pre-orders:

Gamers who pre-order at participating retailers will receive a special code that unlocks four of the game's 10 unique challenge modes*. These intense, pulse-pounding difficulty levels pit players alone, or co-operatively with a friend against the Necromorph horde, competing for high scores and stylish kills. Players who do not pre-order the game must play through each chapter to earn and unlock the challenge modes.

Other links

Twitter
Official Dead Space Extraction site

* If I missed something important, feel free to add!

GCQuinton

From the comics (including the one coming for this one), movie and the original game, I've become a fan of the Dead Space universe so I'll definitely be checking this out once it releases.

awesome thread(title)

Will buy day one as I
1) love railshooters/lightgun shooters
2) <3 Dead Space Universe
3) really like the gameplay videos. All looks great: grafx sound etc etc

@ Thread Creator
You might want to add to your thread that german, swiss and (partly)austrian gamers should be aware that the version for Germany is cut. Blood, dismemberment and gore are reduced.
important sidenote: (as usual) most austrian shops will offer the uncut PEGI-rated version (easily noteable on the PEGI sticker on cover instead of the butt-ugly and huge FSK sign) and not the cut FSK "Ab 18 Jahre" version. So austrians should be safe

Sadist

iamaustrian said:
@ Thread Creator
You might want to add to your thread that german, swiss and (partly)austrian gamers should be aware that the version for Germany is cut. Blood, dismemberment and gore are reduced.
important sidenote: (as usual) most austrian shops will offer the uncut PEGI-rated version (easily noteable on the PEGI sticker on cover instead of the butt-ugly and huge FSK sign) and not the cut FSK "Ab 18 Jahre" version. So austrians should be safe
Will do, thanks for the heads up.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
noteworthy unlockable

The staple of all good rail shooters, and I'm happy to hear they're worth a mention. I love it when rail shooters throw plenty of reasons to keep at it, Overkill's "Director's Cut" being my favourite.

I look forward to seeing what Extraction has in store.

-MB-

Release october 2?? That is very odd I saw the game in stores here yesterday (Netherlands, at E-Plaza).

Sadist

magicalsoundshower said:
I'm strangely intrigued by the two marginally different box arts. Does anyone know which design they came up with first?
I believe the European was the first to appear.

-MB- said:
Release october 2?? That is very odd I saw the game in stores here yesterday (Netherlands, at E-Plaza).
That can't be right. Maybe they were pre-order boxes or something? The official release here in Holland is the 2nd of October.

-MB-

They definitely eren\t preorder boxes, nothing on it said anything about preorder, and they sat inbetween regular releases.

I like it, but I was really wanting a Dead Space Wii. I'll probably get it. If only because I want to support quality efforts, but there will be a part of me that's fantasizing it's something else.:lol

Dascu

I played and finished Dead Space on the PC a few weeks ago. I thought it was a very good game with excellent atmosphere and sound design. I'm interested in this prequel shooter, but I'll wait for some more reviews and impressions before I buy it.

Meesh

Am I the only guy who thinks there's a helluva lot of the same enemy running around?...at least in the vids?...

Meesh

GrotesqueBeauty said:
I take it you didn't play Dead Space.
No, unfortunately I haven't...I realize it's a sci-fi zombie-esque type game, and there are only so many zombies one can imagine(thinking of RE), but then RE-DSC seems to have a fair variety...really, DSE should have just as many enemy types if not more than RE being that it's creatures are mutations of people by alien technology!!!! Not just dead people/cops/suits ect.( I know there are some mutations as well, large insects and what have you)
Well, it's just a thought...

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Well lookee what we have here...

deadspaceWiiOut.jpg

2 hours until home time BOO

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
That's such bullshit, considering the game isn't due here until the 1st of December (apparently?).

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
EatChildren said:
That's such bullshit, considering the game isn't due here until the 1st of December (apparently?).

1st of October

Hiltz said:
So lucky.

You must tell us. PLEASE tell us your hands-on impressions of the game!

No promises, but I will try and Capture it tonight.

jaydogg691

Oh crap, this game is coming out at the end of the month? Hopefully I can play through the original before this game comes out.

Nemesis_

I've not been following the development of this game much, but so far, here's some of the options available to the player. And some spoilers from the first two minutes of the game (if you can even call them that.)

1.) Story Mode
2.) Challenge Mode (LOCKED)
3.) Bonus Features (which is filled with six/seven "Issues", which are essentially fully voiced comics. I haven't watched all of them yet.)

You can adjust brightness and all the crap you'd expect, but you can also adjust the head shake that the game has, as well as sensitivity. Those who were a huge hater of Umbrella Chronicles "laggy" reticule will be happy to find that it's pretty much perfect 1:1 in Dead Space Extraction.

The game WAS full 60fps at some points but during gameplay it becomes 30fps. Well, I'd be comfortable saying that from what I've played so far there's very little with 60fps. But I thought GAF would like to know that there some occasions where the game does dip into 60fps.

Audio Assets are all lifted from Dead Space keeping the game rather "familiar" to those who've played the other game.

Start off with the Rivet Gun, and I'm fairly certain I'm playing as a male - aren't we meant to be playing as females? >_>

The game itself feels very very fast - it seems as thought it's very easy to miss out on things. It's a nice touch also to pick up weapons with your Kinesis module - it suits this kind of gameplay if that makes sense.

I hate saying "for the Wii" but the graphics are very very nice for the Wii. :D

More proper gameplay related impressions soon ^_^

Nemesis_

Played a bit more. Most of the environments that you will revisit from Dead Space are faithfully recreated (albeit at night time >_>) but yeah, the game is a pretty faithful game and holds up most of the design.

So far the production values are very very nice. The way characters interact, combined with the voice acting is pretty nice (though why is everyone British? >_>) and the mechanic of turning your Wii Remote on the side for Alt Fire is a nice touch.

I've yet to see anything majorly "new" for the genre though. There are moments where your character stops, the framerate gets a bit better and you can "search" your immediate area for items and such to progress.

The shaking to make the glow worm light up is nice, I am a huge fan. ^_^ There are also files scattered about that that add to the story to, so it's not like this is just a generic rail shooter. It really is starting to feel like something a little different.

Oh and I can happily confirm that I just blew off an enemies head with blood and gore intact. Yay! No censored version for Australia

As I said before, I really feel like I'm missing heaps but it could just be ammo pickups I'm missing. There's heaps of destructible stuff that I am missing out on. Oh, and a nice touch, the game adapts the Active Reload system from Gears of War fairly nicely too.

Just finished the first chapter: Fuck that was pretty awesome. This game tells the a story in a very good way. I'm quite impressed so far - Darkside Chronicles has a lot to live up to (and I'm a huge RE fanboy >_>) As for my comments on 60fps, the game has a lot of parts where it runs smoothly. It's only during the action that it drops to around 30ish.

one_kill

Sounds fun :D I'm not sure if I should get it yet though. It's pretty tempting given the fact that it was released early here in Australia.

Wish there was some reviews.

-MB-

Mdk7 said:
Fuck, i thought it was coming out on the 22 in Europe... :(
Day one anyway!

It probably is because stores here in Holland (at least where I live) had copies hof it in the racks.

Nemesis_

The "puzzles" in this game are pretty simple but do a great job at breaking up the shooting segments of the game. There's one where you have to do it while these enemies are attacking you, and it kinda feels like "Operation".

Intense stuff.

I cannot stress how enjoyable this game is becoming.

Animation and facial expressions are top notch too (though I wish there weren't other characters with me, just to make it a little more creepier).

Sadist

Wow, Australia got it first? I never knew that :p

But hearing the first positive sounds makes me happy :)

And the features option has voiced comics?

EatChildren

How do you have a copy, Nemesis556? Cos I kinda want it.

EatChildren

Jocchan said:
We ended up in a bizarro world where Australia gets games first.

I'm in Australia, I just haven't seen it on shelves yet. VOOKs has it to review I assume. If Nemesis556 picked it up off a shelf I want to know so I can go hunting tomorrow.

Nemesis_

VOOK and I both received our copies at the same time. I just gave him my copy now. =D EBGames received their stock today, though my store only received three copies.

And the features option has voiced comics?

Yeah. I'm not sure what the comics are exactly or how they fit into the overall thing, but they are fully voiced. The artwork looks similar to the comics that were around when the first game came out and they were giving them away as pre-order bonuses.

Up to the third chapter now - finally got onto some more....familiar territory. ^_^

Top Bottom