• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Dead Space Extraction Thread of Guided Dismemberment

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I played just a bit of it last night and it seems like it will be a really fun experience. It is definitely more than your typical rail shooter (which, unfortunately, may render additional playthroughs less enjoyable). It also looks insane for a Wii title. It really FEELS like Dead Space, which is quite a feat.

The only disappointment is that the game runs at 30 fps. This is what I expected originally, but a lot of people here on GAF were swearing up and down that it was a 60 fps title. It is most certainly not 60 fps. For games that use the IR pointer the higher framerate REALLY improves the experience.

I was surprised by the amount of things the game allows you to do outside of shooting. i appreciate, for instance, the moments when the game stops and allows you to collect ammo and such while looking around freely (while a timer counts down). They clearly put a lot of thought into the experience. Furthermore, the excellent camera really draws you in.

I'm very pleased that EA did not see fit to simply re-create Dead Space on the Wii. THAT would have been underwhelming and something I wouldn't purchase. This was a much better idea.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'm interested in this game, but since i've never played the original Dead Space, i have a feeling i won't really enjoy it from what i've heard here. And i don't feel like having to buy a 2nd game just so i can enjoy it... or is the game still entertaining even for people who don't know Dead Space story?

Oh yes it is, because it's the prequel to Dead Space. This is how it started happening! :lol

I think the natural course would be playing Extraction and then Dead Space on the HD side :p I know I will be replaying the game once I finish with the Wii version.

By the way, shaky cam can be turned off almost completely in the "visuals" menu settings. That's what I did :0

[Nintex]

Bisnic said:
I'm interested in this game, but since i've never played the original Dead Space, i have a feeling i won't really enjoy it from what i've heard here. And i don't feel like having to buy a 2nd game just so i can enjoy it... or is the game still entertaining even for people who don't know Dead Space story?
Yes it is, the game is a prequel and there's a few references to Dead Space, but you don't need to play Dead Space to understand what's going on in this game. However you should play Dead Space when you get the chance cause it's an awesome game too.

Rrang129

Im really enjoying Extraction - its a great addition to the Dead Space series, it really does "feel" like Dead Space...

But does this keep freezing for anyone else? It just did it for the 2nd time near the end of the game, when it was loading a new room the game just stopped... this happened before too earlier in the game. I hope it isnt my Wii dying :(

MiniDitka

Rrang129 said:
Im really enjoying Extraction - its a great addition to the Dead Space series, it really does "feel" like Dead Space...

But does this keep freezing for anyone else? It just did it for the 2nd time near the end of the game, when it was loading a new room the game just stopped... this happened before too earlier in the game. I hope it isnt my Wii dying :(
Nope, didn't have any problems with the game freezing on me.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Glad the game turned out so well. Really positive impressions! This released a little too close to ODST for me (which I've been absorbed in for over a week) but I'll probably pick Extraction up tomorrow. Think I'll use my $20 Toys "R" Us gift card I got with ODST =P

AniHawk said:
LOLOLOL

LOLOLOLOL

Behold, the reason he's on my ignore list!

Played through chapter three with Zapper controls and my Perfect Shot. Didn't like it at all. The aiming was fine. It just felt weird playing the game as if it were a light gun game.

Does anyone know what the difference is between normal, hard, expert and whattever mode?

I love the game, but the pacing so far has been slow. Sometimes there's an action packed scene, and then I go through with like 3 minutes without shooting a zombie (alien!) at all.

Sadist

Sohter.Nura said:
Does anyone know what the difference is between normal, hard, expert and whattever mode?

I love the game, but the pacing so far has been slow. Sometimes there's an action packed scene, and then I go through with like 3 minutes without shooting a zombie (alien!) at all.
The Necromorphs need more shots to die in hard, expert en impossible.

As a sidenote, the interest for the thread is rising. Wish I had a zombie Reed Richards pic of hum saying "spreading the gospel" :p

i'll be posting emulator shots later if indeed it works and can run at higher than native resolution (due to the lighting/pixel shader effects some games refuse to). reportedly works pretty well but the only captures i saw were native.

i don't know about anyone else, but i'm interested to see how this game looks in HD even if i can't play it that way.

i only played it super briefly to have a quick look, and yeah, easily one of the best looking wii games like everyone has been saying.

that very first moment is super cute and shows that they could have gone 3rd person if they wanted and kept the game looking this good. i still don't mind that they didn't though :)

Just beat it. I am very impressed. It was amazing. I loved the original Dead Space, and this game was on par with it. That's an incredible feat considering how limited your movement is in the game. It is definitely the best railshooter of all time.

Haters should be glad that they were wrong about this game.

I'll post a mini-review later, I just need to take a break. That game blew me away.

Here are some shots I captured from within Dolphin. it doesn't run at full speed for me, though i'm tweaking to see if I can fix that, so I doubt i'll be bothered to play it much other than to get captures, but here is Dead Space Extraction in HD with anti aliasing and all that jazz for anyone that wants to see the great art design that Visceral and Eurocom have put together for this game.

Clearly these shots do not represent what the game looks like on the Wii, but I figured people here may still be interested to see them. Tinypic has downscaled these a tad. Vulomedia my usual image hosts seem to be dead :(

n5pzif.png

xcsmqh.png

2lubki.png

2ztcdmr.png

30ml62r.png

20pd2mp.png

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'll be buying this tomorrow. I was going to buy it today, but I was a bit busy, didn't have time.

I'm jonesing for some more Dead Space

kinggroin

Banned
Sohter.Nura said:

Because it's not a typical light gun game. It's heavily story driven and as a result, allows itself some time to flesh it out. The pacing is very much like the Dead Space original.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
scoozer said:
now anyone who sais "i dont want a wii-hd" can go fuck himself :]

Keep out of the ********** comments section then. Any mention of a WiiHD will get you labled as a "graphics whore".

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
EatChildren said:
Keep out of the ********** comments section then. Any mention of a WiiHD will get you labled as a "graphics whore".
The idiocy runs strong in that website.

scoozer said:
now anyone who sais "i dont want a wii-hd" can go fuck himself :]
while it's true that some wii games really don't look much better in HD, others REALLY shine with the resolution upgrade. anything with good art really makes a big leap forwards. Sunshine, NMH, and this all receive a bigger improvement than say Umbrella Chronicles did.

it's really just a case of having some games where the awful IQ of the wii hides a lot of the hard work the developers have done to make their game. sometimes that awful IQ hides flaws and poor texture work.

i look at it as a posterity thing. sure i'll probably not play Dead Space Extraction on Dolphin right now, but in two years time when i have a new PC and dolphin has seen another two years of developement and i want to play it again, i'll almost certainly take the Dolphin route cause by then stuff like this will probably run without performance issues.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
yeah, +1 for the whole "holy shit that looks amazing" train

big_z

played 3 chapters tonight and it's really good so far. other than some framerate drops the graphics are impressive. looks just like deadspace but in low res.

i have a feeling some people are going to get motion sickness from the camera but i like it. so much better than the standard light gun stuff.

stuminus3

Yeah, I caved, traded a bunch of old junk to pick this up.

It's fantastic so far (played to the end of chapter 3). This is no way a cheap knock-off, it's Dead Space alright. Just a different kind of Dead Space.

Graphics are great for a Wii game, it's obviously not as eye popping as the original Dead Space but they really nailed the Dead Space look. Sometimes I think it's just because it's so dark and the head bobbing camera is so wild that it looks better than most Wii games, then I get to a more open section that makes me say "wow" (the end of chapter 2 was pretty great for this). I don't get where the 60fps thing comes from though, it's clearly locked at 30 with an occasional dip in heavy sections, overall a much smoother experience than HOTD Overkill though.

It also may be a light gun, but it's *not* an "arcade" light gun game. The difference between this and, say, Ghost Squad, is like night and day. There were times I'd be getting so into the story and the action and so hooked on watching events unfold that I'd actually forget I was playing an... *ahem*... "guided experience". It's closest relative is probably Umbrella Chronicles, but even at that it's not really like it, it's a far tighter, more cinematic experience, I really feel involved whereas Umbrella Chronicles was just a bunch of stuff strung together... when they dinged me with that twist at the end of the first chapter, I knew this was the real deal.

Very happy with this. Yeah, it's another winner for John Riccitiello's EA! Thanks John! <3

G.O.O.

Erm... question. Am I the only one who feels it like a movie more than a game ? It's not just about the rails, I played and enjoyed other rail shooters, but I miss some sort of arcadey fun feeling. It's like it has been replaced by movie staging.

That being said, I weren't a huge fan of the first Dead Space, and the experience seems to be pretty close to it.

Just finished the game right now, and I'll be honest, I'm a little underwhelmed with the game.

I mean, it's such a finely crafted experienced, but it ends so abruptely. I was like "what, it's over?"

I think the reviews are spot-on with this, it's an 8 game. It needed more length, and jeez, it needed a final boss. It could have honestly been a 9.5

Overall happy with my purchase, I'll be playing it some eventually.

Still, it doesn't top Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles as far as light-gun shooters go. So far, that game is the heaviest in content and story on the console.

stuminus3

G.O.O. said:
Erm... question. Am I the only one who feels it like a movie more than a game ? It's not just about the rails, I played and enjoyed other rail shooters, but I miss some sort of arcadey fun feeling. It's like it has been replaced by movie staging.
Welcome to big budget video games made after 1998. :lol

Seriously though, yeah I agree with what you're saying, but I think that's kinda the point of it; the story mode isn't built to be an arcade-style shooting game, it's meant to be more of an interactive cinema experience... it's in that respect that it connects so well to the original Dead Space.

The challenge mode seems to be more like the arcade-like experience you're talking about.

Sadist

Sohter.Nura said:
Still, it doesn't top Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles as far as light-gun shooters go. So far, that game is the heaviest in content and story on the console.
Really? If you ask me, Extraction easily tops Umbrella Chronicles in the story department, especialy in characters and dialog.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
It's surprising how well some of the textures hold up when the game's resolution is blown up like that, looks (mostly) great.

G.O.O.

stuminus3 said:
Welcome to big budget video games made after 1998. :lol

Seriously though, yeah I agree with what you're saying, but I think that's kinda the point of it; the story mode isn't built to be an arcade-style shooting game, it's meant to be more of an interactive cinema experience... it's in that respect that it connects so well to the original Dead Space.

The challenge mode seems to be more like the arcade-like experience you're talking about.
I'm still not far into the game, I guess I'll have more to do later. And it's still interesting to see what's going on.

But it really is the first time that I don't really know if I should focus on the ongoing story or on my weapon for the moment when a monster jumps out of an air vent. It's pretty weird.

Should have started in easy and with a less shaky cam, maybe ?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
amtentori said:
He said in terms of content.

And story. The depth of the story is irrelivant. Extraction's use of narrative and characters is told in a far better way. It doesnt just dump a bunch of info on your head, it actually plays the story.

Though I'm probably biased since I consider UC to be not even worth a rental.

I'm actually pretty happy about the extra two difficulty settings that are unlockables. I love how hard HOTD 2&3 are. I even loved Overkill, but it was waaaay too easy. This will give me, and my cuz are a real challenge.

Sadist

amtentori said:
He said in terms of content.
And story. ;)

You know, I kind of liked Resident Evil UC because it is very content heavy (12 normal chapters, plus a ton of side levels) and a buttload of files regarding the RE universe. As a fan, I; ve enjoyed it. But, the game was slowerpaced when compared to Extraction and the gameplay wasn't as smooth when compared to EA's offering. Although I like the RE story and characters, it's still horror pulp at it's finest. Especialy the dialog is proof of that. As much as I like the characters of RE, man that is some corny dialog. And bad if I might add.

Extraction does a far better job of offering believable characters, a good story with a beginning and an end and and some good dialog. It also helps that when looking at the gameplay, the game runs smoother than UC. And graphicly... well, Extraction wins with ease.

Ricker

So I got tired of using the zapper and I stop using it but at the same time the controls have all changed and it's close to the first real boss fight so I couldn't beat him for now,pressing the wrong buttons and all...I already have a real hard time using the Wii controls this sure didn't help. :lol

Speaking of controls and calibration,when you use the in game calibration and they show the circles,one on the top left at first,and they say to point them,I don't have a reticule to aim,I just shoot and the other one appears in the bottom right...is that normal?

Haunted

Finished the game, I admit it was pretty fucking good! Strong beginning, bit of a drop in the middle, but the last couple chapters had me hooked completely again.

It's hard to call this the best lightgun shooter in recent times since - and I know this sounds corny - it really puts its own twist on the genre.

Similarly to the Metroid Prime FPS/FPA discussion, this is definitely not a lightgun game in the traditional arcade sense we know. It feels much closer to an actual FPS set in the Dead Space universe (which they totally, totally nailed), tbh.

But yeah, overall a pretty damn good experience - kudos to Visceral/Eurocom. This one is a definite recommendation for fans of shooters or the original Dead Space. And if you like both (as I do) all the better. :D

Just beat it on hard. How do you find out your end time? Took me approximately 5-6 hours, I'd say.

In general, I dislike rail shooters. I think the only one I've ever really enjoyed was the Jurassic Park arcade one by Sega. But DAMN...this game was just AWESOME. Totally captured the feel of the original Dead Space. As someone said earlier in the thread, it really is a testament to great game design and the uniqueness of the Dead Space universe.

Storytelling was really well-done. Characters were great. Gameplay was pure Dead Space (as in, bloody fantastic). And the ending was even a little bit unpredictable. Despite it's short length and rather abrupt ending I was very pleased with this game. Totally don't regret buying it at full price.

Excellent job, Visceral Games. You've crafted another amazing Dead Space experience. :D

Dead Space 2 can't come out soon enough!

Does anyone have early sales data of this game? I got the sad feeling that DS:E is not selling as it should. I mean this game was barely in the Amazon Top100, not a good sign if you ask me....

As everyone else, I was excited to hear that a Dead Space game was coming to Wii when it was first announced. That excitement took a hit when it was announced that it was a "guided first person experience," which obviously meant on-rails shooter. I just figured that description was just typical PR bull**** to sell the game. While it probably was, that description could not be any more true.

This game really takes on-rails shooters to a whole new level. It's not your House of the Dead or Ghost Squad. This game focuses on the cinematic experience and immersion, as opposed to the arcade-feel of the previous games listed. The game features all your beloved Dead Space weapons and abilities, as well as nice gameplay variations to complement the pacing of the game. In other words, this game shares much more in common with Dead Space than your typical on-rails shooter. Which, in my opinion, is a very good thing. If you loved Dead Space, you're going to love this.

BTW, I suggest playing through it with the lights off at night. ;)

Frencherman said:
Does anyone have early saled data of this game? I got the sad feeling that DS:E is not selling as it should. I mean this game was barely in the Amazon Top100, not a good sign if you ask me....

Yeah I've been watching the Amazon top 100 too. It's not going to do well at all. Damn shame. Did EA even market this game?

Top Bottom