• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Dead Space Extraction Thread of Guided Dismemberment

codecow said:
It is a shame nobody bought this. As much as everyone made fun of Frank Gibeau's "experiment" it will actually influence the SKU plan with respect to the Wii just like he said in his interview.

Glad you fellas liked it though!

Can you clarify that a little? IIRC, you're involved with Visceral so it would be interesting to know exactly what this means.

EDIT:

Ah, you mean this:

EA Games President Frank Gibeau believes that releasing Dead Space: Extraction on Wii "is a gamble", but that there is a market out there that the publisher believes will be "interested in the Dead Space: Extraction experiment."

"There has been some M-rated high-quality games released recently on Wii that we've taken note of," Gibeau said to Gamasutra, "and that's why I think Dead Space: Extraction is a gamble."

"It's a calculated risk. Can a high-quality experience like that that appeals to a more mature audience work on the Wii platform?"

"We spent a lot of research, time, and understanding that the customer dynamics of who's actually playing on the Wii, do they own multiple platforms, are there really gamers on the Wii, or is it mainly families and youth? But we think we've found a market on the Wii that would be interested in the Dead Space: Extraction experiment. We're going to take a gamble and build that market."

So, are you saying that the game hasn't sold well, so Wii gamers can forget any more content like this? Fantastic...

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
codecow said:
It is a shame nobody bought this. As much as everyone made fun of Frank Gibeau's "experiment" it will actually influence the SKU plan with respect to the Wii just like he said in his interview.

:lol :lol :lol :lol

I'm shocked

codecow said:

I don't think many people will cry over less rail shooters on wii, albeit good ones, and I don't think you should be surprised by the sales results.

You guys essentially made the hottest fat girl at a party.
She's really nice and pretty but it's only going to appeal to 2 types of people (gamers). People that can see through the fat (dead space fans) and chubby chasers (lightgun fans) will take her on right away.

Everybody else is gonna wait for the beer goggles to set in (price drop).

How about making a traditional sexy game next time?

Sadist

codecow said:

*Slow clap*

Codecow, I'm not being a dick to you or the guys at Visceral Games and Eurocom. Those guys delivered a great game. Because you're honest and everything, but I'll gladly be a dick towards EA. As much as I like Extraction and wished it would have found an audience, let's be realistic: did they actually expect to sell this game? I mean, Gibeau can tell the press that they researched everything and they calculated the risks, but let's be honest: everyone with half a brain could have seen that a game which resembles (for the not so informed consumer) a railshooter and is a prequal to a game that didn't perform particulary well on the 360 and PS3 (you know, where the hardcore monies at) wouldn't sell. But hey, what do I know right? I guess common sense is a hard concept to grasp.

EA blew it. The streetdate in Europe was broken a weak early and there wasn't any hype to be seen. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. When you compare the hype created for the sports titles, EA Sports Active and others, EA was more willing to support this. Better yet, look at the original on the HD consoles. You pumped in a lot of money, it's not even funny. For Extraction? Oh, why should we? It's there own fault Wii owners heard nothing about the title. I don't know if there will be some evaluation process regarding Extraction, but hopefully somebody will acknowledge the fact that marketingwise, they screwed up bigtime. There is no awareness whatsoever. Personaly, I feel sorry for the guys at Visceral Games and Eurocom who worked so hard on this game and EA didn't have the decency to promote this great game.

EA, the only one you're fooling right now is yourself. You're the perfect example of destroying your own software releases. Bravo. Bravo. Tell the guys at Visceral Games and Eurocom they got fucked by EA and they should be pissed.

As regards advertising in Europe - I've seen more ads in the UK for Cursed Mountain and that Active Life sequel than I have for DS:E (4/7/0, if you're interested). TBH, I don't know if it even got advertised in any significant way over here - I've not seen a single print ad or TV ad, and I don't recall any web ads on any notable UK sites.

There is an audience here in the UK for railshooters (HotD2+3, Ghost Squad, Link's Crossbow Training, RE:UC and HotD:O all performed reasonably, IIRC) so there's no reason why a polished example like DS:E shouldn't have done well - if it had been promoted in any way, of course.

Sipowicz

Banned
codecow said:
It is a shame nobody bought this.

not really. the game's good but it's quite short it doesn't really have any replay value. i rented it myself and i would never buy it at anything close to full price

EA also did a horrendous job with the announcement for this game and the subsequent hype. lies and obfuscation aren't good marketing tools

at the end of the day it cant have cost much either given all the stuff that was reused and the fact it was outsourced

i'd love to see a sequel that was a bit more like system shock, but i dont expect to see one. it seems ea will only release sequels to bombs if the bomb isnt on wii

edit: i agree with sadist, EA made their own bed. the laughable financial state of EA and the poor sales of the game were down to EA's incompetence

Such a damn shame. I saw this coming too.

It's all EA's fault too, and Wii owners will be paying the price again for a 3rd party ****-up. Great.

Edit:

Next up...Call of Duty Modern Warfare Reflex.

codecow said:

Apparently you work at EA?

Even you stick to the claims I wouldn't shed a tear tbh. It's a good game but there are better lightgun shooters out there.

And seeing that pretty much everything from DS was reused I don't think it was a particularly costly adventure. When you make a product for a rather crowded sector (lightgun shooters on Wii) it needs to stick out - either the product itself or the marketing. And as the sales numbers on other platforms have shown DS is not a strong enough franchise (yet?) to garner interest on name alone, unlike Resident Evil for instance and as others have pointed out there hasn't been any marketing at all.

In regards to the product itself: You may call it anything you like (guided first person experience :lol ) but in the end it didn't do anything new for the genre.

Rush2thestart said:
Such a damn shame. I saw this coming too.

It's all EA's fault too, and Wii owners will be paying the price again for a 3rd party ****-up. Great.

Edit:

Next up...Call of Duty Modern Warfare Reflex.
The latter will do just fine, which is a shame. A product like that should bomb to hell and back.

Sadist

Phife Dawg said:
Apparently you work at EA?

Even you stick to the claims I wouldn't shed a tear tbh. It's a good game but there are better lightgun shooters out there.

And seeing that pretty much everything from DS was reused I don't think it was a particularly costly adventure. When you make a product for a rather crowded sector (lightgun shooters on Wii) it needs to stick out - either the product itself or the marketing. And as the sales numbers on other platforms have shown DS is not a strong enough franchise (yet?) to garner interest on name alone, unlike Resident Evil for instance and as others have pointed out there hasn't been any marketing at all.

In regards to the product itself: You may call it anything you like (guided first person experience :lol ) but in the end it didn't do anything new for the genre.

The latter will do just fine, which is a shame. A product like that should bomb to hell and back.
I kind of disagree with you on this one regarding the "it didn't do anything new for the genre" because it does. As a matter of fact, it's the best in it's genre available on Wii. I own Ghost Squad, Resident Evil UC and tHotD Overkill and those three can't compete with the game storywise, it has more believable characters, better voice acting and looking at the graphics/polish, it easily wins.

The problem is what you and others pointed out in the thread, EA did a terrible job of promoting the title.

Rolf NB

Ok.

Plays well. Dismemberment and the stasis stuff are great mechanics. Good challenge, good fun.

Awesome production values. Lots of places to recognize if you've played Dead Space. Love the character voice work and animation in particular. Tense. One of the best-looking Wii games I've seen, for sure.

Still don't like the usual light gun trope of "we'll show you this goody for a split second and then let you wait half a minute for your next attempt to pick it up". Clearing out optional storage lockers in 2 seconds, srsly? I get it, I get it, they want me to memorize the whole level, redo it over and over and perfect it, but I just won't, sorry. Especially not with how long they are individually.

Short. Gone through hard mode in 5 hours 37, say my Wii's automatic "Today" notes.

No regrets, but I'll never boot it up again.

Sadist said:
I kind of disagree with you on this one regarding the "it didn't do anything new for the genre" because it does. As a matter of fact, it's the best in it's genre available on Wii. I own Ghost Squad, Resident Evil UC and tHotD Overkill and those three can't compete with the game storywise, it has more believable characters, better voice acting and looking at the graphics/polish, it easily wins.

The problem is what you and others pointed out in the thread, EA did a terrible job of promoting the title.
Story is forgettable imo, just like the story in the original DS. It's generic as it gets and totally foreseeable. I do like the atmosphere though. Of course the story in other lightgun shooters isn't any better but it's not like the story in Extraction is actually good or anything. The voice acting isn't my cup of tea either - especially Lexine (sp?) got on my nerves pretty fast.

And you fail to mention what it did new for the genre, because having better graphics than the average lightgun shooter on Wii isn't really something new in that regard.

Sadist

Phife Dawg said:
Story is forgettable imo, just like the story in the original DS. It's generic as it gets and totally foreseeable. I do like the atmosphere though. Of course the story in other lightgun shooters isn't any better but it's not like the story in Extraction is actually good or anything. The voice acting isn't my cup of tea either - especially Lexine (sp?) got on my nerves pretty fast.
Point is, it might not be a great story, but it offers more when compared to the others. It's not some pulp-like story. Personaly, I felt the voice acting was pretty good and it never annoyed me in any way. Me thinks we just disagree about this.

Phife Dawg said:
And you fail to mention what it did new for the genre, because having better graphics than the average lightgun shooter on Wii isn't really something new in that regard.
We apparantly disagree about the story, but that's one of the reasons why Dead Space imo is better than other options. It's the whole experience that feels like a movie and doesn't feel cheap when compared to others in the genre. I feel that the narrative makes a huge difference and of course, there are moments of exploration which might be short, but it gives you time to breath. The inclusion of dismembering and using stasis is done well.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
codecow said:

Well boo fuckin hoo. Do not care.

This test game bullshit is played out. There are plenty of other games I can play on the Wii both now and in the future, so if EA doesn't want my money it doesn't matter to me. I'll give it to somebody else.

I mean we're 3 and a half years into the console cycle. The idea that "oh we're gonna make this one side game to decide whether we're gonna do REAL games for the system" is retarded at this point. Shit or get off the pot.

Sipowicz said:
hello i'm daring to post in this thread again and trying to blame ea for bad hype

1etpgw.jpg

Sadist said:
Point is, it might not be a great story, but it offers more when compared to the others. It's not some pulp-like story. Personaly, I felt the voice acting was pretty good and it never annoyed me in any way. Me thinks we just disagree about this.

We apparantly disagree about the story, but that's one of the reasons why Dead Space imo is better than other options. It's the whole experience that feels like a movie and doesn't feel cheap when compared to others in the genre. I feel that the narrative makes a huge difference and of course, there are moments of exploration which might be short, but it gives you time to breath. The inclusion of dismembering and using stasis is done well.
Even then, having a story in a lightgun shooter is nothing new, dismembering has been done before in lightgun games. Stasis I don't know about but in the end it's just slo-mo on single enemies and not something people would be excited about.

I'm not denying it's a compelling package but it doesn't stand out and thus the lack of hype in regards to the gameplay itself. Giving it some sort of marketing "hook" (guided first person experience) doesn't make it a new experience.

scitek

The only ad I've ever seen for the game was the one that thread pointed out on 1up.com the other day. Good game, but I don't know what their expectations for this game could have possibly been. Compared to a game that was released on THREE systems at once, and had the marketing push it did, I don't know how on Earth a game that's in a niche genre and on a single platform without the first game in its library is expected to perform. Just a strange situation all around.

Sadist

Phife Dawg said:
I'm not denying it's a compelling package but it doesn't stand out and thus the lack of hype in regards to the gameplay itself. Giving it some sort of marketing "hook" (guided first person experience) doesn't make it a new experience.
Never said it was ;)

But I guess we disagree about standing out, because I think the game offers you the most fun in the genre when compared to other offerings on Wii. Although, you could indeed argue that for the masses there is no noticable difference between Extraction or House of the Dead for instance.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Codecow, seriously?

I couldn't find the game anywhere for the life of me, in the end I had to order it online from mymemory (£20! great deal!).

Clerks at Gamesrush (Blockbuster) and Gamestop didn't even know the game was actually out, there were no in-store poster or even promo-box on display, and even informed gamers heard of the release a few days after it (apparently) released.
Just look at this thread.

How are games supposed to sell this way?
It's not like the game had a great pick-up cover either (really, who chose that shit?! It boggles my mind) and the IP came from an HD only experience which bombed pretty hard (with an animated movie to boot) despite being well covered on the 1UP Shows and generating hype throughout game forumers at the time.

I, for one, was shocked to hear that this game was good, I actually loved the first Dead Space and only realized it was out and good because of opinions in this thread after the Edge review picked my interest in the game.

I usually like rail shooter and despite having all the consoles I actually enjoy playing Wii games and am an avid fan of Dead Space.
So I think it's fair to say I was your target demography.

A target who didn't know the game deserved a chance, and looked at the game as in a crowed genre and as a derivative experience in comparison with the original game, lacking any kind of good buzz... and when I actually looked past all of that, well I couldn't find the game anywhere.

So, yeah.
I loved the game though, great work!

Sadist said:
Never said it was ;)

But I guess we disagree about standing out, because I think the game offers you the most fun in the genre when compared to other offerings on Wii. Although, you could indeed argue that for the masses there is no noticable difference between Extraction or House of the Dead for instance.
Well you did oppose to my initial thought that DSE didn't bring anything new to the table - not that I think anyone would've taken that PR speak crap seriously, mind you :D .

I still had more fun with HotD but that's another story altogether. And yes, that's exactly what I think, what they lacked in new gameplay ideas they should've made up elsewhere if they expected this to raise some interest. Again, not taking anything away from the game, which is indeed a good one.

Meesh

Just a question, but has anyone actually felt anxious or fear at all in the game? I really want to get into this, but I'm not feeling it...I love sci-fi and horror, fix me GAF!!!!

Sadist

Phife Dawg said:
Well you did oppose to my initial thought that DSE didn't bring anything new to the table - not that I think anyone would've taken that PR speak crap seriously, mind you :D .
Heh, just wanted to point I didn't agree alltogether. I'll take the middle road then. :p

Add me to the "won't cry any tears if we don't see any games like this from EA again" list, what I've seen of the game (a good hour of footage someone posted on Youtube) struck me as an extremely schitzophrenic experience, it felt really weird to see a game that was trying its hardest to tell a deep story, but at heart was nothing but a lightgun shooter with a couple new ideas. I'm not a big fan of rail shooters but I can enjoy them if they're really over the top and frantic, but DSE looked like it was neither. If anything, it reminded me of the story-based FMV games from the 90s and everyone knows they died out for a reason. There seemed to be too much walking around and too much talking when there could be monsters attacking you from all directions. Overall it seemed like the straight-and-serious approach of DSE didn't gel with its rail shooter gameplay at all.

magicalsoundshower said:
Add me to the "won't cry any tears if we don't see any games like this from EA again" list, what I've seen of the game (a good hour of footage someone posted on Youtube) struck me as an extremely schitzophrenic experience, it felt really weird to see a game that was trying its hardest to tell a deep story, but at heart was nothing but a lightgun shooter with a couple new ideas. I'm not a big fan of rail shooters but I can enjoy them if they're really over the top and frantic, but DSE looked like it was neither. If anything, it reminded me of the story-based FMV games from the 90s and everyone knows they died out for a reason. There seemed to be too much walking around and too much talking when there could be monsters attacking you from all directions. Overall it seemed like the straight-and-serious approach of DSE didn't gel with its rail shooter gameplay at all.

You're judging the entire game based off one hour of compressed Youtube footage? :lol

Rush2thestart said:
You're judging the entire game based off one hour of compressed Youtube footage? :lol
Well, if a game is really your thing, seeing a couple minutes of footage taken from it should make you want it, right? I know this has happened with all the games I've bought recently. In DSE's case, the opposite happened. Also, why does it matter if it's compressed or not? If the game's not doing it for me, it doesn't really matter how pretty the graphics are, does it? :/

codecow

Dash Kappei said:
Codecow, seriously?

I couldn't find the game anywhere for the life of me, in the end I had to order it online from mymemory (£20! great deal!).

Yeah it is a bit unfortunate. A co-worker had the same experience in town here. Gamespot guy didn't know what it was, had to look in a drawer for it and was surprised it existed.

The original Dead Space release was also burdened by similar issues. We staggered the release date to try and avoid other titles like Fallout 3 after having marketing information with the release date already sent out to customers. Nobody knew when the game was coming out.

Anyway the point of me posting wasn't to call out anyone on this forum, you're the only ones who even know the game exists. I was a bit disappointed to find out about what would have been cool products coming from EA that will never see the light of day. As a business I understand the decisions but as a gamer and someone who is a lifelong fan of games I have to say it's not good.

When a company can only really get behind a few titles a year and at EA you have to figure FIFA, Madden, and NFS are going to be three of them it doesn't leave a lot of room for people trying to do stuff. If your sales are going to be limited by marketing it also limits what you can make in terms of the game's budget/overall spend.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Evilink said:
Just a question, but has anyone actually felt anxious or fear at all in the game? I really want to get into this, but I'm not feeling it...I love sci-fi and horror, fix me GAF!!!!

At two points: the bit when the
captain's body moves around in the morgue. And then the bit when we see the body with that knife (or pen? yay low-def) stuck in its eye in the captain's chair.
(Wasn't that last bit in the animated movie? I can't quite remember.)

But honestly, most of the anxiousness I felt was in regard to missing a log or weapons upgrade. This is in comparison to the original DS, which had some great "make you jump" moments for me. The first time you have to use stasis in DS to get through that malfunctioning door, for example, was nerve-wracking.

In any case, I'm not going to cry about DSE not doing well. I think the game was fun for what it was, but I want the franchise to stick to the HD consoles. And no rails for DS2! Part of the thing that made the original such a cool experience was getting to wander around a haunted spaceship by yourself. Being rushed through levels is just so annoying, particularly when the environments are part of the reason I'm playing the game in the first place.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
codecow said:
I was a bit disappointed to find out about what would have been cool products coming from EA that will never see the light of day. As a business I understand the decisions but as a gamer and someone who is a lifelong fan of games I have to say it's not good.

This isn't meant towards you at all..but really EA? Really? If Dead Space Extraction was your test case before deciding whether to give the Wii more mature/"gamer" content, then you clearly had little intention or desire to do so in the first place.

Unreal.

Ahh well...they finally gave me a good Tiger Woods after 3 years, so I suppose that's something.

Razien

Banned
Sadist said:
can't compete with the game storywise, it has more believable characters, better voice acting and looking at the graphics/polish, it easily wins.

LOL! Since when those elements are what make a lightgun game better than other?
HotD Overkill is better in everything else, and that is what makes the game a much better game overall. Oh, it sold well, Sega provided other games for the "mature" audience, and they didn't blame the only one that didn't (MadWorld).

Seriously, why would I give a crap? Even if DSE sold incredibly well, until EA starts giving any valuable support, it'd take two, three years. Until then, we'll already be getting major support from publishers that cared before, and they'll get my money (Marvelous, Sega, damn Capcom and Square, and even friggin Activision, which at least gives us Modern Warfare without making it in another genre).

Sorry Visceral and Eurocom, I have to agree with everyone (unless you were the ones that chose to make a rail shooter): EA screwed with us and with you. A year ago, I could see Extraction selling a decent amount, but now the Wii is getting a steady flow of quality games, steady enough to make us not even look twice to DSE unless the rail shooter lovers and Dead Space Wii-owning big fans.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I've played all the rail shooters on the Wii and so far this is the best.

Not the hardest (HotD 2) not the best story (Overkill is hilarious) but so far the best overall game.

Meesh

luxarific said:
At two points: the bit when the
captain's body moves around in the morgue. And then the bit when we see the body with that knife (or pen? yay low-def) stuck in its eye in the captain's chair.
(Wasn't that last bit in the animated movie? I can't quite remember.)

But honestly, most of the anxiousness I felt was in regard to missing a log or weapons upgrade. This is in comparison to the original DS, which had some great "make you jump" moments for me. The first time you have to use stasis in DS to get through that malfunctioning door, for example, was nerve-wracking.

In any case, I'm not going to cry about DSE not doing well. I think the game was fun for what it was, but I want the franchise to stick to the HD consoles. And no rails for DS2! Part of the thing that made the original such a cool experience was getting to wander around a haunted spaceship by yourself. Being rushed through levels is just so annoying, particularly when the environments are part of the reason I'm playing the game in the first place.
I hear ya, I'll continue playing for love of the horror/scifi genre, because what other sci-fi games are on Wii? It is pretty good, there's no denying the hard work and quality of DSE, but at the same time I have yet to be scared or anxious with any part of the game which makes me wonder just what I bought into...I guess the only answer is a solid on rails shooter(?) I've said this so many times about RE and DS, I'm getting sick of posting and reading it but please...EA, make a proper sequel or side story. The on-rails entry will get newcomers involved but you need to think of jorror enthusiasts, you too Capcom, bastards. I'm all for EA supporting the HD consoles with what they do best, but give us Wii gamers our due please. Over the shoulder third person horror...

beef3483

codecow said:

LOL

And everybody said this would happen.

The bottom line is that most people judge rail shooters as an inferior genre to 3rd and 1st person shooters. If this game had started budget priced it would have done so much better.

Me personally, I'm intrigued by all the positive comments, but am dissappointed by how short people say it is. I have nothing against short games, but when you can get 20 hours of greatness compared to 5, then, at $50, it's obvious what you're choice is. I expect around 15 to 20 quality hours for $50. Sometimes I can overlook this if it is in one of my preferred genres (for example, ICO), but this game isn't in one.

Sadist

codecow said:
Yeah it is a bit unfortunate. A co-worker had the same experience in town here. Gamespot guy didn't know what it was, had to look in a drawer for it and was surprised it existed.

The original Dead Space release was also burdened by similar issues. We staggered the release date to try and avoid other titles like Fallout 3 after having marketing information with the release date already sent out to customers. Nobody knew when the game was coming out.

Anyway the point of me posting wasn't to call out anyone on this forum, you're the only ones who even know the game exists. I was a bit disappointed to find out about what would have been cool products coming from EA that will never see the light of day. As a business I understand the decisions but as a gamer and someone who is a lifelong fan of games I have to say it's not good.

When a company can only really get behind a few titles a year and at EA you have to figure FIFA, Madden, and NFS are going to be three of them it doesn't leave a lot of room for people trying to do stuff. If your sales are going to be limited by marketing it also limits what you can make in terms of the game's budget/overall spend.
Again Codecow, it's not you we're criticizing but EA the company regarding it's business plan and marketing department. EA told the press that this game is a "testcase" of bringing more mature content Wii. You think EA would go all out because they could cater to a excisting demographic plus new ones. What they actualy did is destroying their own release. In other words, the failed themselves. You said it yourself, the company only gets behind the usual trio and send other releases to die. Now wonder they are losing money, they allow games to be created they don't actually want to publish.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
I've been kinda interested in this game for a while and just to see what the consensus on this game was I looked it up at gamerankings. Did EDGE give it 9/10? :O

EDIT: Seems it got 8/10, so I guess Gamerankings got that score wrong.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Eh, this 'test' stuff is just bullshit anyway. Publishers either want to throw full weight behind a system now or they wont ever. The Wii's never going to get the kind of support seen elsewhere, simple as that, and publishers will continue to release games with broken street dates, zero advertising, and two-three copies shipped per outlet and claim it's proof these games don't sell.

Sadist

ItsInMyVeins said:
I've been kinda interested in this game for a while and just to see what the consensus on this game was I looked it up at gamerankings. Did EDGE give it 9/10? :O

EDIT: Seems it got 8/10, so I guess Gamerankings got that score wrong.
8/10, a blurb of the review is in the opening post ;)

Minamu

An 8 from EDGE means it kicks all kinds of ass imho :) Still won't pay full price (maaaaybe the American full price, but not the Swedish fullprice). In the end, I'll probably get around to it just before DS2 comes out :p

It's dropped pretty quickly here in the UK. A lot of retailers have it for under £20 now, which is more than half price. I can see it being bought as soon as I finish Uncharted 2.

I think EDGE struck too high with that score, unfortunately. The game is great one time through, but after that... There are branching paths, but they are few in number and they add very little to the experience. The score attack levels are OK, but fairly pedestrian, and the main story levels are so long and relatively slow-paced that they don't invite replay once you've been through them.

I admire Visceral/Eurocom's efforts to bring something new to the table for the genre, but I think this will go down as an interesting experiment that proves ultimately to be a bit of an evolutionary dead-end for railshooters (albeit one with a few innovations that should be adopted by other titles). An 8/10 was too generous - perhaps if the pace had been upped a little, or the levels had been shortened, or there was more incentive to actually replay the game, then I could agree with that score, but as it is it falls short of what I expect from an EDGE 8.

I'm also not as in love with the appearance of the game as some seem to be. When it's good, it's very good, but it's quite inconsistent at times.

Oh, and whoever came up with that awful boss battle
in the waste water section
should be kept well away from that aspect of game design in future...

Vinnk

codecow said:
I was a bit disappointed to find out about what would have been cool products coming from EA that will never see the light of day.

Perhaps if they had released those cool products as the "test",rather than a game that from it's very announcement people loudly and frequently stated they were not interested in, things would have turned out better.

As others have stated, no offense to you. If you are on the team that made this game, it really is good and you should be proud of it. But the thinking behind THIS game being the lone "test" baffles me.

birdchili

it's far too short, with no quality incentives to go back.

the ending is *horrible*. it just stops.

the story is aliens/2001 and resident evil blendered. no good twists or surprises, and absolutely no narrative payoff at the end. you still have no idea wtf is going on, and you're inclined to think there's just a bunch of "magic" here rather than something clever that explains things and ties everything together. va is competent, but that can't save it.

i'm still convinced it's impossible to make a scary rail shooter.

that said, the core gameplay is really fun. there's lots to manage for a rail shooter (stasis, grabbing/chucking stuff, active reloads, (somewhat) limited ammo, etc...) and the game is nicely responsive. in co-op, it's nifty to be shooting for limbs rather than the head, as you can be blasting the same critter, but not aiming in exactly the same place (though i do miss shooting stuff in the head:)

I'm playing through the original Dead Space just now, and I get the impression that DS:E is going to be more satisfying - storywise - when I've completed it. For instance, things like the moment at the conclusion of DS:E
where you hear the transmission from the recovery craft from the beginning of DS
are more effective when you can put them in context.

It's really quite bizarre - DS:E strikes me as a title that works better played alongside a title that isn't even available for the same console, so only multi-console (or WiiC) owners are getting the full experience. In a way, DS:E is more akin to the comic tie-ins or the straight-to-DVD movie that accompanied the first game than it is to something like RE:UC - less spin-off and more tie-in media that only really works in concert with another game.

Joni

codecow said:
Release Dead Space 2 in April 2011. Attention guaranteed. It is after crazy March and before the quiet summer period.

The curse of the test game strikes again.

The test can never be passed, so I can no longer get worked up when a developer says nothing more is coming up because, unless it was a multi-million seller they absolutely could not ignore, they never had any intention of following up in the first place.

It's a real shame.

codecow said:

It's a shame VG didn't make the game Dead Space fans wanted. Do you really think the hardcore owners on Wii want a guided horror experience? It completely removes the horror. So you can blame the customer all you want but the truth is you knew this was coming.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Cosmonaut X said:
Oh, and whoever came up with that awful boss battle
in the waste water section
should be kept well away from that aspect of game design in future...

Wasn't that a homage to the original DS? The whole bit with the
plant monster (or whatever it was) throwing stuff at you in aeroponics
? At least DSE didn't make us
shoot asteroids. Turning off the asteroid gun was perhaps the most satisfying part of the game for me. (Though I liked the bit where you have to saw off your own hand. Took me awhile to realize what the game was asking me to do - only four seconds left on the clock by the time I finished. :lol )

Hiltz

Personally, I really like Dead Space: Extraction. I think it is the best on-rails FPS on the Wii. The story, visuals, atmosphere and gameplay delivered in my opinion. It is unfortunate that the game doesn't offer much in the way of replay value. However, I am still disappointed that Extraction turned out to be a on-rail shooter and not a true full-fledged Dead Space title. Like many people have said before, that is not what Dead Space fans really wanted and it just goes to show that the Wii is still being treated largely as an experimental platform.

I think EA needs to understand that many Wii owners seem to want something more than side/spin-off projects and watered down multiplatform titles. Most of us core gamers seem to have grown tired of this strategy and believe that the majority of the big publisher's out there aren't interested in offering big exclusive titles for the Wii. Of course, that is understandable to an extent given that the the Wii is a risky platform to exclusively support and there is typically more money to be made off of supporting 360 and PS3 with multi-platform titles.

Top Bottom