• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Dead Space Extraction Thread of Guided Dismemberment

Sipowicz

Banned
it's quite a good game. they could do wonders with a sequel that really was a "guided first person shooter". there's definitely a bunch of stuff they could do in a sequel to make it worth the price and add in some longevity

as it was though the game was only worth a rental. once you've unlocked the comics there's nothing else really

the game was pretty much doomed from the start . apart from a few cheerleaders here and there there wasnt much optimism about this game, which isn't surprising based on what we knew

a lot of the criticisms were well founded too. the game has a bunch of problems and like i said it isn't worth buying, even if it were half price

Get this right EA: I haven't bought it because it is on-rails; and it's a shame it's on-rails. (or guided first person, what-ever)

I might get it down the road on the cheap, but because it is on-rails, it's not even on my priority list. I'm tired of onrails, their liberty is limited and the reason to go with it for serious games is cheap, I see it as treating the platform as secondary (umbrella chronicles anyone? anyone wanted a RE like RE4) and I bet Dead Space 2 would NEVER EVER be on-rails... So why making the only Wii game in the series... a on-rails endeavour? YOU SENT IT TO DIE, obviously.

Darkside Chronicles will fare better, if only because of the Resident Evil brand, but I'll bet it'll actually sell worse than Umbrella Chronicles, because then the wii software buble hadn't burst and anything would sell... but now on-rails saturation is really kicking in and if it was up to me to decide, it would flop, so that, maybe then, Capcom would finally look at the numbers RE4 Wii pushed and be obliged to do something like that, because something cheap like on-rails wouldn't suffice anymore.

People are saying "expriment/test-curse" but while I don't give a damn about that (more than testing they should use their brain-cells in the first place) I say "on-rails-curse" why? because nobody asked for them, regular GAMEPLAY WITH WII CONTROLS WORKS FINE AND CAN EVEN BE CONSIDERED AN ENHANCEMENT and yet, on-rails is all we get, so get it right, if there's a next time.

For all BB Rewardzone members, there is a 10 dollar off coupon if you log into your Rewardzone/Gamerzone page and go the special promotions section.

Hiltz

I have to agree with lostinblue's comment. Ultimately, Extraction being an on-rails shooter is not what most Wii owners wanted in the first place.

Dead Space: Extraction is a good game and it's not really the quality of the title that comes into question here.Quite frankly, it's the lack of replay value, the game's price tag and its genre that have lead many more people to choose to rent it rather than buy.

Even great games like MadWorld bombed for a fairly good reason. The quality of the game is good despite some flaws but what killed it from the start was its extremly short length and lack of replay value for a $49 title that lead more people to rent it. The only other thing that hurt Madworld's sales was its stylish monochrome graphics which doesn't appeal to everyone.

Sadist

I think the chances of a Dead Space game in the vein of the 360/PS3 one for Wii have plummeted to oh I don't know... 0%.
Before Extraction "bombing" it was about 4%, so it's not a huge change

Oh well, EA doesn't want my monies. *Hugs RE 4 Wii Edition*

Scrubking

codecow said:
It is a shame nobody bought this. As much as everyone made fun of Frank Gibeau's "experiment" it will actually influence the SKU plan with respect to the Wii just like he said in his interview.

Glad you fellas liked it though!

Wii "tests" can't be passed. They can only be failed.

codecow said:
It is a shame nobody bought this. As much as everyone made fun of Frank Gibeau's "experiment" it will actually influence the SKU plan with respect to the Wii just like he said in his interview.

Glad you fellas liked it though!
Dead Space sold like ass, and it was made on-rails for the Wii.

1. An on-rails game isn't what the fans wanted, so they were alienated from the game.
2. It's Dead Space and wasn't marketed, so noone outside of anyone that was following this online would know about it.

House of the Dead, Umbrella Chronicles, No More Heroes, RE4Wii, Call of Duty make this asinine "experiment" moot point. Mature games can and will sell on the Wii, but if a publisher releases a game under an obscure IP and doesn't bother marketing it, what the fuck is the point of the "experiment"?

Lenardo

Banned
that is one of the main failings i think of the Better Wii games that have not done that well- a lack of Advertising Budget.

madworld being the exception- though i think IT's marketing was a bit off.

of course i follow all the Wii games(and i/my family has over 75 wii games now-my wife is the person who buys the really bad wii games) so know what is good and what is not but, for the most part, even the decent games- that had really good advertising- sold well IF the ad targeted the right audience.

DeBlob- decent ad budget, sold well
Carnival Games- decent ad budget (soso game) sold Extremely well
Boom Blox- good Ad budget (good game) sold well

boom blox -block party- poor ad budget- hasn't sold that well.

deadly creatures- decent game- no ad budget- bombed
mushroom men- decent game- no ad budget - bombed
no more heroes- good game- soso ad budget- best selling suda 51 game ever (~500k+ sold now)

COD:WAW- "bomb" first month, then it got advertised- sold over a million copies

NERF n-strike game- best selling rail shooter on the wii last year- good ad budget- decent game- sequel coming out this month- sold great (around a million probably by now)

look up the sales numbers of the poorer quality wii games that targeted the right audience and had a good advertising budget, pretty much they ALL have sold well to great.

etc..

Here, if anyone else from EA is reading this thread, let me help you guys break it down in layman's terms.

Dead Space: Extraction Announcement: Fuck you, Wii owners!

Wii Owners: Fuck you, EA!

Frank Gibeau: Fuck you, Wii owners!

Wii Owners' Wallets: Fuck you, EA!

Seriously, codecow, I'm pretty sure I remember seeing you in the threads when the game was first announced -- did you not see the amount of anger coming from Wii fans? You seriously thought this game was going to sell with the amount of hate it's been getting?

The day this was announced, everyone and their mom saw a bomb coming. Everyone predicted this to be a test. Everyone knew EA would "cancel" the awesome amazing hardcore Wii games coming. We predicted this months ago.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=352802&highlight=Dead+Space

Here, have fun reading the entire thread.

Within 17 posts, someone already predicted the "test" comment long before EA used it.

Ysiadmihi said:
So the game can bomb and EA can point their fingers at the Wii owners not supporting "hardcore" games.

-Dead Space (a third person shooter) becomes a rail shooter on Wii despite the obvious control benefits.
-Godfather 2 is not coming to Wii, again, despite the obvious control benefits.
-Online EA games disconnect you when you get a low battery warning for the Wiimote...

Great job EA!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14820046&postcount=62

I swear, this is as surreal as if we were to see Nintendo crying that Link's Crossbow didn't sell nearly as much as Zelda Twilight Princess did.
Except this kind of "surreality" happens all the time with third party's and their "secondary" "exprimental" approaches to the wii platform next to their "primary" approaches elsewhere.

Well, duh.

Alcibiades

Considering this cost EA slmost nothing (budget-wise) compared to Dead Space, I doubt this not selling a lot would be that much of a shame from the executive point of view.

Shutting out Wii-only owners (by not releasing Dead Space on the platform) isn't exactly a way to build good faith with the hardcore crowd on Wii and entice them to pick up a spinoff for full price.

No matter how good it is, from the perspective of Wii-only owners, EA is saying "here Wii owners, have a light-gun spinoff that cost us a fraction of what it cost to make the mainline Dead Space game even though we're charging you full price"

It's not to late for Dead Space Extraction to be able to sell well on Wii, but the first thing that needs to happen is a release of a near-identical port of Dead Space so Wii-only owners can have a reason to get excited about a budget spin-off. Not that it will guarantee good sales of Extraction, but it would be a good first step and the most impactful marketing move so far regarding the game.

If EA was even remotely serious about the success of Extraction then it would have allowed for a faithful port of Dead Space and then some time before the release of the spinoff. Wii-only owners don't want a second-rate experience when they play through Extraction. They want to play the game with the satisfaction that comes from having context after having played Dead Space (as many reviews have so far raved about).

Haunted

It's a great game, I'm glad it was almost universally liked among the GAFers who actually checked it out.

Too bad so few besides us (apparently) did. :/

edit: we all knew it was going to end up this way (even though a lot of us were hoping against hope that the game could break out of its niche - lightgun horror without the brand having been established on the platform before), but well, it's still sad to see a good game overlooked.

SuperJay

Wait, an on-rails prequel to a game that released on another system and features low replayability value, a nearly nonexistent marketing campaign, and terrible cover art isn't selling like gangbusters? Color me surprised!

Hopefully DS:E will be one of those slow but consistent wii sellers. But honestly, how are casual shoppers ever going to get past that cover art?

Alcibiades said:
Considering this cost EA slmost nothing (budget-wise) compared to Dead Space, I doubt this not selling a lot would be that much of a shame from the executive point of view.

Shutting out Wii-only owners (by not releasing Dead Space on the platform) isn't exactly a way to build good faith with the hardcore crowd on Wii and entice them to pick up a spinoff for full price.

No matter how good it is, from the perspective of Wii-only owners, EA is saying "here Wii owners, have a light-gun spinoff that cost us a fraction of what it cost to make the mainline Dead Space game even though we're charging you full price"

It's not to late for Dead Space Extraction to be able to sell well on Wii, but the first thing that needs to happen is a release of a near-identical port of Dead Space so Wii-only owners can have a reason to get excited about a budget spin-off. Not that it will guarantee good sales of Extraction, but it would be a good first step and the most impactful marketing move so far regarding the game.

If EA was even remotely serious about the success of Extraction then it would have allowed for a faithful port of Dead Space and then some time before the release of the spinoff. Wii-only owners don't want a second-rate experience when they play through Extraction. They want to play the game with the satisfaction that comes from having context after having played Dead Space (as many reviews have so far raved about).
This.

Although I'll argue if I wanted a port... I'd play it on my PC (and I'm sure there are mods for the Wiimote with RE4 Wii controls?) and that releasing a wii port-job 2 years after the first game would be using the platform as a stepping stone for Dead Space 2, which would be something Wii owners are pretty much sick off; getting dumbed down versions and late. But getting something they didn't ask for isn't that much better (while in this case it's still better)

More than a port they should have done a game that catered to that demographic in the first place; on-rails doesn't cut it, it's niche, and on the Wii... saturated. They say they have a lot to explore on the Dead Space universe, so how about doing it right the second time around?

Plus it has a negative image going for it considering it's not the first time a Third Person game makes the transition to the Wii on the On-rails form. the controls of the original game would be improved by the Wii anyway, so why changing what's not broken for a "guided-experience" one?

Even if it sold, what would we Wii owners have to gain from that? Dead Space: Extraction 2 - here's more on-rails? because that's exactly what happened with darkside chronicles, leaving me gushing about buying umbrella chronicles in the first place; thinking if that sold, Capcom would consider investing more in a proper Resident Evil game with RE4 mechanic.

If it sells we get more of something we didn't ask for in that secondary approach format... and if it doesn't we get blamed... Well, we can't win.

lostinblue said:
Even if it sold, what would we Wii owners have to gain from that? Dead Space: Extraction 2 - here's more on-rails? because that's exactly what happened with darkside chronicles, leaving me gushing about buying umbrella chronicles in the first place; thinking if that sold, Capcom would consider investing more in a proper Resident Evil game with RE4 mechanic.

If it sells we get more of something we didn't ask for in that secondary approach format... and if it doesn't we get blamed... Well, we can't win.
This is absolutely true. The Wii unfortunately carries the stigma of the word "casual," so the marketing dolts at EA, Capcom, and any other company have to make sure that any "hardcore" game also has to appeal to the "casual" gamer, so we just get stuck with on-rails games, despite what fans want. It's ridiculous.
It doesn't help that it's easier to make an on-rails game, as you don't have to plan out hardcore level structure and pacing. Re-working the early RE games into RE4 molds would require some brainstorming that Capcom doesn't seem capable of these days.

Sadist

I feel sad :(

lostinblue said:
The endless cycle that is Wii third party support.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Of course this game was not gonna sell.

First it is on rails....
second it is an unknown IP...
Third it seems like a dumbed down experience catering to wii owners.
It is 50 bucks for a 6 hour game with limited replay value.
no marketing
it is a prequel to a game in a franchise that is on other consoles, but not wii

Who the fuck is the target audience of this game?

360 or PS3 or PC owners who happened to buy Dead Space, who happened to like it, who happen to also own a wii, who happen to like Rail shooters, who are willing to spend 50 bucks on one?

Wii owners could not beat this test...

If it sold well, Wii owners love guided-FPS adventures! More on rails!
If it fails, Wii owners don't want mature games!

Fuck these retarded tests.

will gladly buy extraction when it hits 20 bucks

adama-rama

Neo Member
If the game has sold poorly then that's a damn shame, as it's one of the best rail shooters on the Wii and I'd love a sequel to it in a similar fashion, expanding on the designs and features. Just a shame the ending sucked.

I hated Dead Space but took a chance on DS:E but in the end, Extraction is nothing but a side story that was designed so that even if you miss out on it (like everyone will by choice or chance) you won't miss anything important.

I get the feeling that there was never any intention to follow up on similarly themed games on the Wii and the inevitable outrage over sales from EA will no doubt have been prepared long before the game reached shelves. The latest addition to the 'wii test' series of games.

Such a shame.

amtentori said:
First it is on rails....
second it is an unknown IP...
Third it seems like a dumbed down experience catering to wii owners.
It is 50 bucks for a 6 hour game with limited replay value.
no marketing
it is a prequel to a game in a franchise that is on other consoles, but not wii
And this bombing means mature games aren't worth doing on the Wii apparently. :lol

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Cow Mengde said:
Here, if anyone else from EA is reading this thread, let me help you guys break it down in layman's terms.

GAF =/= the whole market. Sales don't come from people who are there when a game is announced and start hating on it.

But really, the poor sales all boil down to no advertising, early broken release date with poor shipment stocks, franchise where primary fans are on other platforms, watered down entry with extremely little game time and zero replay value, and a niche genre that only appeals to a very select market.

Every game released ever is a test. All games are tests. If a game is developed with a blockbuster budget and tons of content, and is on a platform it's genre or even franchise performs consistently well, and that entry doesn't, developers/publishers will look at it and see what went wrong.

The root of this problem is that it was a shitty test. It was an extremely poor method of trying to find a market on a particular platform, for all the reasons above. Nobody doubts the title is fantastic, and I believe the developers really poured their hearts and souls into it, but the game is what it is; a rail shooter.

What test is that? That rail shooters perform well? They do, as Overkill/HOTD/UC prove. That Wii has gamers that will support higher rated content? They do, as evident by Overkill/HOTD/UC and plenty of other titles.

If anything can be derrived from this 'test' is that if you're going to half-arse the release it will show in sales. If you're going to develop a game that looks like it's going to underperform, it will. Hell, Extraction is the odd one out. There are other rail shooters just as gory, just as obscene, and just as "M rated", and they've performed much better.

As I said previously, this test stuff is just bullshit. All games are tests, and as a test this one was poorly constructed. So badly that I'm convinced there was no silver lining had it performed exceptionally well; EA would still release 'watered down' franchise entries. If they're not investing in bigger games now they never will.

amtentori said:
360 or PS3 or PC owners who happened to buy Dead Space
I did.
amtentori said:
who happened to like it
I did.
amtentori said:
who happen to also own a wii
I do.
amtentori said:
who happen to like Rail shooters
I do.
amtentori said:
who are willing to spend 50 bucks on one?
Well, that's an argument.

I guess it's just about the price, not about the quality of this game. It seems to be quite decent, it's a game of the dead space IP, it surely is a nice game for an evening with a friend, but it's not worth the 50 bucks.

Deas Space is a railshooter, that don't want to be a railshooter. Just try to find an audience for this....

Whatever happens, I highly doubt EA will analyze those sales with their own failure in mind....

Kenka

vodka-bull said:
I did.

I did.

I do.

I do.

Well, that's an argument.

I guess it's just about the price, not about the quality of this game. It seems to be quite decent, it's a game of the dead space IP, it surely is a nice game for an evening with a friend, but it's not worth the 50 bucks.

I don't want to crush this argument but it actually is. And, well, to be honest, I can't wait for
more of the same
. The primary reason being that some of my friends who happen to like horror movies joined the Dead Space Extraction party saying that the controls felt intuitive and left them with a pleasant video game experience.

What does that mean ? Well, surely something that EA's marketing department can dig.

Sadist

Really? 9k?

My god that's one massive fail for the EA marketing department. Well, EA isn't the only one, Capcom made the same fudge up with Spyborgs. Those two marketing teams should meet up and exchange bad ideas.

Kenka said:
I don't want to crush this argument but it actually is. And, well, to be honest, I can't wait for
more of the same
. The primary reason being that some of my friends who happen to like horror movies joined the Dead Space Extraction party saying that the controls felt intuitive and left them with a pleasant video game experience.

What does that mean ? Well, surely something that EA's marketing department can dig.

Sorry, but it really doesn't justify the price tag. I paid - IIRC - £32 for it new over here in the UK and I finished it in two sittings over two nights. I will revisit it, and I will put more time into the bonus content but it certainly wasn't worth as much as I paid for it. Perhaps if there had been more reasons to revisit the story levels or if there had been more unlockables and upgrade options I would have felt a bit better about it, but as it is I feel like I paid around £10 too much for the game.

By contrast, I spent £30 on RE:UC when it came out, £25 for Ghost Squad, £10 for Nerf N-Strike, £20 for HotD 2+3, £30 for HotD: Overkill and £20 for Link's Crossbow Training and I am perfectly satisfied with all of them:
  • RE:UC - delivered in terms of length and unlockables, and as an RE fan the scenario was more appealing, even if the writing was worse. The stages also lend themselves to more replay than DS:E's loooong story stages.
  • Ghost Squad - fast, challenging and fun with oodles of unlockables and leaderboards. Perfect arcade lightgun challenge.
  • Nerf N-Strike - a fairly basic example of the genre, with slightly unsatisfying gameplay, but for £10...
  • HotD 2+3 - loads of content; a pair of fast-moving lightgun titles with plenty of replay value.
  • HotD: Overkill - ridiculous, entertaining story, fast-moving levels and a decent amount of replay value.
  • Link's Crossbow Training - fairly standard, but a reasonable challenge at higher levels, good level length for replay and it came packed with an accessory.
Looking over the list, the one thing that stands out for me is that - in lightgun games - I lean far more toward shorter, or faster-paced stages that can be replayed a lot. DS:E just doesn't offer that with its loooong sections and fairly sedate pace. I understand what Visceral and Eurocom were aiming for, but I think they missed what really makes a lightgun game work.

Still, if it had been £25 brand new (or if I'd decided to wait a few weeks more, I suppose) I would have gone away a lot happier with my purchase.

ShockingAlberto said:
The curse of the test game strikes again.

The test can never be passed, so I can no longer get worked up when a developer says nothing more is coming up because, unless it was a multi-million seller they absolutely could not ignore, they never had any intention of following up in the first place.

It's a real shame.

This.
It could have sold a million copies in a month and you know what EA would have done?
Just used that money for more EA Active games.

Third parties: "Man, why don't Wii owners buy our hardcore games?!"

Wii Owners: "FUCKING ADVERTISE THEM AND DON'T MAKE THEM SPINOFFS YOU ZARKING TURDS!"

Capcom cried about the same thing with Zack and Wiki, when the only retailer they could get to carry it was Wal Mart... I mean, seriously.
It's like, all these companies are run by ignorant 5 year olds that never passed Jr High Business.

birdchili

Cosmonaut X said:
as an RE fan the scenario was more appealing, even if the writing was worse.
neither has good writing, or a story to write home about, but i think that dse was hurt by playing it "straight", which can't hold up as well with a not-great story as the insanely bad cheese and ridiculousness that re pulls off. (though i think a dse drinking game where you imbibe every time someone suggests that you may now have destroyed all of the monsters would be alcohol-poisoning-dangerous).

re also did more interesting stuff with multiple characters and the timeline, sending you back in time to see antagonist actions, and other characters that you cross paths with during the main story. dse is much more linear timewise, and you don't really feel like you're seeing different perspectives, even though you're playing multiple characters.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Alcibiades said:

lostinblue said:

These two posts sum up exactly how I feel about this game and EA's approach to it.

beje

Banned
Game sold bad just because it's bad, period (aside other adjectives such as boring, bland or uninspired). And half a dozen viral marketers talking about "zomg huge production values", a bunch of following corporate drones that will buy anything and some moneyhatted reviews are not going to make me change my mind after suffering renting it.

Easily the worst 2 bucks I've ever spent to try out a game in the last months.

EatChildren said:
GAF =/= the whole market. Sales don't come from people who are there when a game is announced and start hating on it.

That's why I said Wii owners. Say there are 1000 websites out there -- multiplatform or Nintendo centric -- you'll find angry fans on every single one of them.

Of course, we knew they weren't going to advertise it. Everyone knew what would happen 8 months ago -- everyone but EA. It's like EA looked at that thread from 8 months ago and used every single one of our ideas on how this game could fail.

Let me put it this way. I'm buying Silent Hill Shattered Memories because it's a SH experience that I want. If the game were on rails, and I'm sure it crossed their mind, I wouldn't give it a second thought. As fun as on-rail games are, they are just simple diversions void of true depth.

Let me ask you something Extraction dev- how much more effort would it have been to make this game a fully third person adventure?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
evilromero said:
Let me put it this way. I'm buying Silent Hill Shattered Memories because it's a SH experience that I want. If the game were on rails, and I'm sure it crossed their mind, I wouldn't give it a second thought. As fun as on-rail games are, they are just simple diversions void of true depth.

Let me ask you something Extraction dev- how much more effort would it have been to make this game a fully third person adventure?

Actually that's exactly part of the reason why I'm excited for Silent Hill - it's in third-person, and it looks like it's good. How hard is it to do that on the Wii? Seriously?

Hell, I still want to buy Rogue Trooper: Quartz Zone Massacre, a PS2 Wiimake, simply because there's such a lack of these types of games.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Andrex said:
Actually that's exactly part of the reason why I'm excited for Silent Hill - it's in third-person, and it looks like it's good. How hard is it to do that on the Wii? Seriously?

I third this view. A large portion of my interest in Shattered Memories comes from the impression that it's a mainline Silent Hill game. Even though it's a spin-off, it's being built in the same way it would be built for any other system.

Nose Master

It just should have been cheaper. There's no way the same amount of effort went into this as the original Dead Space. And there was about 10x as much game there as there was with Extraction. Definitely more than a $10 difference.

Nose Master said:
It just should have been cheaper. There's no way the same amount of effort went into this as the original Dead Space. And there was about 10x as much game there as there was with Extraction. Definitely more than a $10 difference.
How much was it in the USA? Here in Europe it seems cheaper than normal Wii games (especially those from Nintendo themselves)

stuminus3

Oh good, thread has devolved into this stuff again, now it's got a chance to catch up with the original Dead Space official thread. :lol

Notorious_Roy said:
How much was it in the USA? Here in Europe it seems cheaper than normal Wii games (especially those from Nintendo themselves)

$50, same as a typical Wii game. The only Wii games that cost more that don't include a peripheral are Guitar Hero 5 and Beatles Rock band at $60, as far as I know.

Andrex said:
Day freaking one.

Konami does what Capcom-and-EA-don't.

Dead Space Extraction was very good. It's just that EA completely ****ed up on marketing the game to consumers.

- Lightgun games cater to a niche audience.
- Dead Space was nowhere near a big franchise.
- The first Dead Space is not even on Wii
- It's a spinoff
- No advertising aside from small web ads which even games like Little Kings Story got (as niche as it gets)

They were just hoping to bank on Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles and House of the Dead's success. It's not that Wii owners don't buy M rated games at all OR that the game was bad...it's just that EA completely miscalculated what made the previous two successful.

The least they could have done was advertise the game; most people don't even know it came out/exists

Sadist

beje said:
Game sold bad just because it's bad, period (aside other adjectives such as boring, bland or uninspired). And half a dozen viral marketers talking about "zomg huge production values", a bunch of following corporate drones that will buy anything and some moneyhatted reviews are not going to make me change my mind after suffering renting it.

Easily the worst 2 bucks I've ever spent to try out a game in the last months.
You didn't play the game huh?

Sadist

From the NPD thread:

http://www.edge-online.com/news/npd-dead-space-extraction-sells-9000-in-september

While Extraction hasn’t enjoyed a strong start, EEDAR analyst Jesse Divnich told us that the title’s early sell through wouldn't come as a surprise to publisher EA.

“Electronic Arts didn’t market Dead Space Extraction as much as it does with other titles. And the success or failure of a Wii title usually correlates directly to marketing spend. If Electronic Arts spent little on marketing, I am sure the sell through was no surprise to them. So I do not believe sell through was a disappointment to EA.”

We contacted EA to for comment on the game’s opening week performance, and to find out how the game has been performing at retail during October, but received no response.

“Given Wii games tend to have a flatter sales curve, I don’t think 20,000 plus units is out of the question for October and maybe we get a holiday bump in November and December,” Divnich suggested.

EA said previously that the performance of Extraction would influence the company's decision to create mature-content games for Wii in the future, and Divnich implied that the publisher’s decision not to heavily market the title may have been based on the poor performance of other mature-rated Wii games released while Extraction was still in development.

“Most games have a 12 to 24 month development schedule and over a year ago the industry was under the assumption that mature-rated games could succeed on the Wii. Unfortunately, as we progressed and witnessed the sales results from games such as MadWorld, it became pretty clear the market size for games with mature-content was extremely small, much smaller than any other home platform. The truth is most core gamers who gravitate towards mature content likely own more than just a Wii.”

:lol MadWorld, that's been like what, one of five "Mature games" to come out this year?

Well, try to think about it in a positive way! No more Railshooters from EA.:D

Now let RE DC bomb in a similar way and maybe the evil railvirus is gone.

This does not count for Overkill of course. This franchise DOES know what it is!

stuminus3

"EA said previously that the performance of Extraction would influence the company's decision to create mature-content games for Wii in the future, and Divnich implied that the publisher’s decision not to heavily market the title may have been based on the poor performance of other mature-rated Wii games released while Extraction was still in development."
I don't actually think this is as much of a big deal to me as it was on the N64 and Gamecube. I think we're now past the point where "mature = game, not mature = not game" nonsense we were all brainwashed with this last 10-15 years. Or maybe not maybe I'm just getting more mature with age. :lol

I'd love to see a sequel to Extraction, though.

vehn

What does the NPD say about Extraction's sales volume?

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!

I guess the marketing done for this game in True Blood didn't help much :/

EatChildren

I really look forward to seeing how Konami handle Shattered Memories, and how it sells. Not by itself, but relative to the Silent Hill franchise, especially more recent games like Origins and Homecoming.

It will also be interesting to see how Wii sales compare to PS2 and PSP sales. It's the only fully fledge 'mature' title I can think of coming from a third party developer. It will be hillarious if it sells well.

Top Bottom