• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Dead Space Extraction Thread of Guided Dismemberment

Bizzyb

Banned
Alcibiades,
If EA was even remotely serious about the success of Extraction then it would have given the game a decent advertisement run. The game virtually came out of nowhere [to the general public] but I guess EA is relying on the Dead Space name to help it sell.....which is pretty much sending it to die.

Sadist

EatChildren said:
I really look forward to seeing how Konami handle Shattered Memories, and how it sells. Not by itself, but relative to the Silent Hill franchise, especially more recent games like Origins and Homecoming.

It will also be interesting to see how Wii sales compare to PS2 and PSP sales. It's the only fully fledge 'mature' title I can think of coming from a third party developer. It will be hillarious if it sells well.
You think Shattered Memories? The Silent Hill franchise took a plunge saleswise. Especialy Homecoming, which bombed. But I would love to see this game to sell well.

Same goes for Extraction, but alas...

Sipowicz

Banned
so the game bombed, but we expected that anyway and in my opinion it deserved to

that said IF another developer was going to make another game in a similar vein, what would you like to see from it? what would convince you to buy it at full price?

jay

The problem with this game is that it was clearly designed by a boardroom. Suits said, "how can we make a Dead Space but not spend as much money as it would cost to make a Dead Space?" or at least went to the design guys and said, "Make something cheaper than Dead Space but call it dead space."

On rails games can be great but people get bitter when its obvious a financial decision and not a legitimate design choice. Panzer Dragoon, Sin and Punishment, Rez, House of the Dead, Time Crisis, etc are good or excellent games that were designed for the purpose of being rail shooters and as such most gamers don't harbor any resentment about them (beyond the apparent demise of PD).

Really I'm just trying to figure out why Sipowicz is the most bitter guy in the world and this seemed to make sense.

I think EA are waiting to see how word of mouth affects the sale of Dead Space Extraction. I believe the original Dead Space had quite a long tail thanks to word of mouth from reviewers and players alike, so that it eventually reached really good sales, even if it was blown away by first month sales in comparison to a similar game like RE5.

I enjoyed Extraction as someone who had played Dead Space. In fact, I think I enjoyed Extraction more than the origianl game, but that may be down to it being a co-op experience vs playing the main game by myself. The guy I played it with hadn't played Dead Space and he enjoyed it too, I don't think that from just playing Extraction, there's any way to tell it's a spin off. It's treated as a full story and it feels like the main story in a very fleshed out, if a little cliched, world.

I don't want people to downplay the quality of the game, it's good. it's very good. It lacks replay value, well that's a matter of opinion. It has harder difficulties and challenge modes, there were a couple of times when you chose a different route (although I understand this doesn't make a huge difference to how you navigate the level) in the campaign and it had above average production value on it's voice work and story elements that allow me to play it a second time without being too anoyed about now being able to skip cutscenes. As a straight through one time co-op experience, I think it was worth the £32 I spent on the game. I don't think I'd say the same if I were to only play it solo.

But heck, I only paid £8 for Dead Spce on 360 (brand new from Asda) so buying this at nearly full price is probably just karma evening things out.

birdchili

Sipowicz said:
that said IF another developer was going to make another game in a similar vein, what would you like to see from it? what would convince you to buy it at full price?
a) fix the obvious problems
- give me a story with a beginning, middle, and end.
- let me see which upgrades i've collected from where from the main menu and what's left.
- let me re-play all the text/audio/video logs from the main menu
- allow me to unlock stuff in the score attack mode instead of forcing me to replay story chapters with unskippable cut scenes.
- no "hangs up 3/4 of the way through the chapter" bugs.

b) other stuff
- more branching paths that actually make a difference. give me some info before i have to choose so there's actually some reason to pick one option over another.
- if you're going to have a bad script, don't take things so seriously - cheese it up a bit more. either that or get a really excellent script. i'm ok with either, really.
- more (possibly shorter) levels. less linear narrative that lets me play different perspectives on a story that makes sense when all the levels are complete.
- secrets to discover.
- characters i like.
- let me shoot npcs during cut scenes. have this matter. have npcs react to me if i'm spraying machine gun fire about the room while they're talking.

Sipowicz

Banned
what i'd REALLY like to see is some kind of fps/lightgun hybrid. i found the pacing quite bad and automatically walking from encounter to encounter was quite boring

it would be cool if player could control the pace through the level and also explore a bit and everyone could examine stuff like system shock.

i agree with pretty much everything else you said birdchilli although i would do away with text logs. so annoying. other things i'd like to see

-ability for each player to select seperate weapons
-4 players support
-badass characters (like in aliens)
-proper lightgun controls and NO CURSOR
-make it longer
-replay value
-get rid of the stupid boxes
-fix the godamn camera! (although this wouldnt be a problem if it was an fps)

Tab0203

"There has been some M-rated high-quality games released recently on Wii that we've taken note of," Gibeau said to Gamasutra, "and that's why I think Dead Space: Extraction is a gamble."

"It's a calculated risk. Can a high-quality experience like that that appeals to a more mature audience work on the Wii platform?"

"We spent a lot of research, time, and understanding that the customer dynamics of who's actually playing on the Wii, do they own multiple platforms, are there really gamers on the Wii, or is it mainly families and youth? But we think we've found a market on the Wii that would be interested in the Dead Space: Extraction experiment. We're going to take a gamble and build that market."
Hilarious.

Sadist said:
From the NPD thread:

http://www.edge-online.com/news/npd-dead-space-extraction-sells-9000-in-september

EA said previously that the performance of Extraction would influence the company's decision to create mature-content games for Wii in the future, and Divnich implied that the publisher’s decision not to heavily market the title may have been based on the poor performance of other mature-rated Wii games released while Extraction was still in development.

“Most games have a 12 to 24 month development schedule and over a year ago the industry was under the assumption that mature-rated games could succeed on the Wii. Unfortunately, as we progressed and witnessed the sales results from games such as MadWorld, it became pretty clear the market size for games with mature-content was extremely small, much smaller than any other home platform. The truth is most core gamers who gravitate towards mature content likely own more than just a Wii.”
"mature-rated games could succeed on the Wii"
True.

"it became pretty clear"
:lol

"the truth is"
*sigh*

"MadWorld"
A childish niche beat'em up with mediocre gameplay. He forgot the Conduit...

"most core gamers who gravitate towards mature content likely own more than just a Wii"

PC/Wii/DS. Define "(hard)core" and "mature". The vast majority of users (incl. developers, PR folks/journalists) on this forum are childish 'self-proclaimed hardcore' casual gamers that don't know (or lie) what they're talking about. It's interesting to watch.

I guess it's up to Retro to prove these people wrong. They're working on a quality semi-realistic HL2-esque FPS, right? Right!? :(

basik

I rented this and beat it in 1 day.... I never played the original game so this was my first time with DS. I liked the story elements but the rest of the game was very repetitive since theres only a few different enemies and most of them are annoying as hell because head shots dont kill them. It seemed like a lot of the guns were useless so I just stuck with a few same ones...I hate turning the zapper for alt fire.

out of the lightgun games I own: hotd 2&3,links crossbow,ghost squad,hotd overkill,re:uc... extraction has the least replay value...it just gets old fighting the same enemies over and over and they are annoying everytime. many times I was hit by something offscreen cuz the camera moved thats extremely annoying. having npc's stand in front of items I want to grab is lame...I wanted to shoot them so I could grab items.

I found out in the boss fight in the water with the plant thing if you use the flamethrower right when it tries to hit you, you take no damage, no need to bother shooting its yellow eye things at first phase.

this is a good rental but I'm glad I didnt buy it...they should have strayed farther from the original and added more different enemies.

Sadist

basik said:
I rented this and beat it in 1 day.... I never played the original game so this was my first time with DS. I liked the story elements but the rest of the game was very repetitive since theres only a few different enemies and most of them are annoying as hell because head shots dont kill them. It seemed like a lot of the guns were useless so I just stuck with a few same ones...I hate turning the zapper for alt fire.
Well, that's because shooting of their limbs is more effective.

Meesh

I uh...wanted to say that I was wrong about Dead Space Extraction. It would seem, however certain I was earlier about my reservations, that the intensity and difficulty really spike after the 3.5-4 hour mark...making for some aggrivating bosses and potential near misses when the story branches, throwing necros at you left right and center. My initial impression was that DSE was a little stale, light on horror and scares, (were there any from the start?) and mostly just good solid light gun action. But...things have changed, I'm really digg'n this game...prolly play tonight!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you EA, for not sucking....

...not entirely...

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Yea wanted to say, I picked this game up at launch... been too obsessed with Demon's SOuls to play it/post about it though... finally beat it on Hard today.

I must say, kind of impressed. While the earlier chapters are far more interesting/creepy/suspenseful, the game sure does LOOK pretty sweet on my 42inch LCD with component cables. The voice acting is top notch, love the large international cast. And gameplay is pretty dynamic for a light gun game.

I don't get the lack of bosses or the semi lame endgame, but I will say I think they put a lot of effort into the title and it was worth a purchase.

Apenheul

I finally finished the original Dead Space so now I can start playing Extraction again. I shouldn't have checked the first level before finishing DS though, as a result the ending of the original made no impact at all on me.

I picked up 3 of these with Best Buy's B2G1 and sold 2 on ebay. To my dismay, after all the bullshit fees and shipping, I ended up paying like $40 for my copy! O_O One of the auctions went for $32! failure...

Regardless, I still have a copy of the game and should be firing it up in about 30 min, yay!

This game rocks, I love how well it ties in with the original and the Downfall cartoon. Seeing the area around the marker in the opening level put a big smile on my face, they had it down perfect. I find myself liking weapons that I hated in the original Dead Space, like the Flamethrower (which is my fave here) and the Ripper. I still hate the Force gun and am surprised how underutilized the Plasma Cutter is.

The game cheated me though. It wasn't really a glitch, but I was in an open area with an elevator shaft in the middle. A bunch of the monsters with the 3 tails showed up and starting throwing shit. I killed them all but 1, and my character/the camera automatically moved so that the elevator shaft was between the monster and me, hiding it behind a corner. I couldn't hit it with anything and it wouldn't move from that spot, so I had to hit restart level. When I saw how far back it put me, I turned the World Series on instead. I plan on finishing it tonight, though.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
WTF? Got this from Amazon the other day, was excited to play it today. I was on the first level when I got a glitch and I couldn't progress. He just stood still and there was nothing I could do...

Not a great first impression...

So I've just completed extraction and let me just say one thing before the LTTP threads get their hands on it: this game has more balls than the original game.

As for people having opinions like "but it's on rails": FUCK YOU. This game clearly benefits from being an on-rails shooter and people have obviously not played the game to see that.

This game genuinely deserved better sales.

I've already beaten the game as well. I did it on hard difficulty, and had a blast. The enemies are pretty tough, and the voice acting is definitely good. I like the fact that you play as different characters, and that it isn't afraid of killing people off. I also did not expect to do that to my arm near the end of the game. The graphics were pretty tight, and I had great fun getting on the ishimura. The developers took potential cutscenes, and made the player a part of them. It's another technique reminiscent of Half life. I would definitely recommend the game to anyone who likes lightgun games.

Oh, and those comic extras were definitely a cool addition to the game. I can't wait to get the next dead space comics. They swear like sailers.:lol

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Bought this game last week with the $20 Toys "R" Us gift card I got with Halo ODST. I just beat the third chapter and I have to say, this game is pretty intense. My favorite part so far is
crawling through the air vent, burning up zombie alien things with my new flamethrower... so awesome!

The graphics are pretty good but I feel like the items blend into the background too much. Sometimes it's hard for me to see them unless I happen to move my cursor over them and the little display pops up — I'm even playing this on an HDTV with component cables. It's also really annoying to miss an item because the camera decided to swing away from it. Those are my only complaints, though — I'm otherwise enjoying the hell out of this game.

Apenheul

Just finished Dead Space Extraction (on hard difficulty mode) right after finishing the original. I think Extraction has more of that creepy isolated atmosphere than the original had, but overall I've enjoyed DS just a bit more. I have to say that the stories connect nicely, having played both it feels like the original Dead Space was only a tiny part of the story. Extraction is more interesting storywise but there are more things happening too.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
just beat DSE

wait, so

did Nate turn into a zombie alien monster thing and kill Lexine and Weller? if so, THAT TOTALLY SUCKS, DAMN

Game was very intense. I liked it, even if it was a very nontraditional lightgun shooter — and the genre was main reason I picked it up, considering I've never played the original Dead Space. I definitely want to play DS now, though. DSE had a good story and it seemed to have a lot of details built into its universe.

and I fucking had to cut off my own hand WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK
:lol

The bosses were damn hard, too. And the ninth chapter
is ridiculously long, and its boss is tediously long... it was the only thing I died on in the whole game, which I attribute to it simply wearing me down.

So, is anything extra unlocked if I
beat it on the two hardest difficulties I just unlocked?

P.S.
FUCK ECKHARDT

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Danthrax said:
did Nate turn into a zombie alien monster thing and kill Lexine and Weller? if so, THAT TOTALLY SUCKS, DAMN

No, really, does anyone know this? It's bugging the hell out of me.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
LLaMa-Tech said:
I wish I could find this game on the cheap cheap.

Like I said in an earlier post, I used my $20 TRU gift card I got with Halo ODST on Extraction, so it was $30 for me. 6 hours is a reasonable value to me at that price, and I'll probably play through it again because I enjoyed it so much — and to get more stars (I had 43 out of 50 on my first playthrough).

Anyway, here's a place selling it for $33: http://www.rainbowlightnyc.com/products/Dead_Space_Extraction_Nintendo_Wii-2069-1.html Not sure how legit the place is, though.

Danthrax said:
No, really, does anyone know this? It's bugging the hell out of me.
It certainly looks like it to me. Never watched the animated movie so I don't know if there are any clues hidden there.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Balb said:
Don't worry, it'll be in the bargain bin in no time.

hurr hurr I told him where to find it for $33 two posts above yours

Zeitgeister said:
NO. Because Wii does not have hardcore games!

It's über-hardcore :p

so I went poking around the Internet for answers to this and GameFAQs, of all places, had the most enlightening discussion.

People have basically narrowed the ending possibilities to four theories:

1) Weller got infected somehow, dies in his sleep, turns into a necromorph and attacks Lexine.

2) McNeil got infected from when his hand was punctured by the final boss, dies in his sleep, turns into a necromorph and attacks Lexine.

3) A necromorph (specifically, one of the bat-like ones) stowed away on the ship, McNeil or Weller died in their sleep, the necromorph turned THEM into necromorphs, and one of them attacked Lexine.

4) It was all a dream, probably from Weller's perspective. In other words, the "Link's Awakening solution."

If it's one of the first three theories, there is debate regarding whether Lexine died from the attack or not. She clearly grabs a gun on the ground and fires it, probably at the attacking necromorph's head. People postulate this either stuns it enough to allow her to shoot its appendages — and thus she survives — or it does nothing to stop it and it kills her.

But one hole in the first three theories is the lack of a dude on the ground when Lexine is attacked. No matter whether the attacking necromorph is McNeil or Weller, the other one SHOULD be sitting on the ground on either side of the cockpit. But we don't see anyone on the ground during the attack, besides Lexine when she falls down. So what happened to the other guy? Also, why does Lexine seem completely oblivious to one of the men turning into a necromorph and only notices it when it's right behind her? Heck, why is she standing around in the middle of the hallway at all? These inconsistencies make theory #4 seem more plausible. That, or Visceral Games just got lazy, but considering how much care they seem to take with the Dead Space franchise, that seems unlikely.

So that's what I gathered. I'm really hoping theory #4 is true, mostly because
I worked my ass off to keep those three characters alive and I don't want any of them to die in a shitty way in the end!
>=(

Anony

i finished this a few days ago
i only played 1 chapter a day
each chapter was, i'd say, ~20 mins long
and 10 chapters

it felt incredibly short, and i was even rationed playing it

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
my only ending question was: err, why was Lexine 'the one'? What was so special about her, I don't get why they wanted/needed her specifically. It was never touched upon again after that 1 time it was mentioned as her being special.

Sadist

John Harker said:
my only ending question was: err, why was Lexine 'the one'? What was so special about her, I don't get why they wanted/needed her specifically. It was never touched upon again after that 1 time it was mentioned as her being special.

In the story (I think chapter 8) Eckhart tells some guy from the church via videophone that Lexine isn't affected whatsover by the Marker. She doesn't experience voices in her head, illusion or other effects of the Marker

Sipowicz

Banned
Dascu said:
Maybe it'll be explained in a sequel.

Hahahaha.

lol

it was quite interesting and i would love to see it resolved. it'd be good to see what happened after they got back to earth too (if they did)

it's a shame they fucked up everything so badly this time around. i would have liked to see a sequel that was an fps or something.

Teknoman

Black friday at Gamestop: Dead Space Extraction = $19.99 new.

I'd say thats a good price as any to pick it up. Its a "doorbuster" sale though, so the price is only good from 6:00am to 11:00am.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Teknoman said:
Black friday at Gamestop: Dead Space Extraction = $19.99 new.

I'd say thats a good price as any to pick it up. Its a "doorbuster" sale though, so the price is only good from 6:00am to 11:00am.

Well, this game's definitely worth $20 guys.

Dash Kappei

So, I've beaten the game.
First I have to say: wow, usually when people on GAF say that a title lasts only for X amount of hours it's often 1.5x of that for me, but I guess I didn't consider the fact that for this type of games the time it's fixed :lol
So yeah, short even of the mentioned 6 hours for me (more like 5 and a half), what the hell were they thinking selling it full price?!
Honestly what it's there it's GREAT, but it feels like a couple of levels are missing, there isn't a proper final boss and the last level ended abruptly, like if they wanted to put it out there as is and didn't have time/budget to finish the game.
It bugs me that the technical level is so high and then there are some textures that look like placeholders even if they features prominently in the game and so close to the in-game camera (like your arms and some suits), so that add to my "game wasn't finished" feelings.

The Challenge mode is a joke, as are the "bonus" unlockables, and while this is a game you'll want to play at least twice it's still too little for a whole package.

Can anybody explain to me the meaning of the "visions" you have while playing with the different characters?

Dash Kappei said:
So, I've beaten the game.
First I have to say: wow, usually when people on GAF say that a title lasts only for X amount of hours it's often 1.5x of that for me, but I guess I didn't consider the fact that for this type of games the time it's fixed :lol
So yeah, short even of the mentioned 6 hours for me (more like 5 and a half), what the hell were they thinking selling it full price?!
Honestly what it's there it's GREAT, but it feels like a couple of levels are missing, there isn't a proper final boss and the last level ended abruptly, like if they wanted to put it out there as is and didn't have time/budget to finish the game.
It bugs me that the technical level is so high and then there are some textures that look like placeholders even if they features prominently in the game and so close to the in-game camera (like your arms and some suits), so that add to my "game wasn't finished" feelings.

The Challenge mode is a joke, as are the "bonus" unlockables, and while this is a game you'll want to play at least twice it's still too little for a whole package.

Can anybody explain to me the meaning of the "visions" you have while playing with the different characters?

Not much to "get." One of the the Marker's biggest effects is causing hallucinations in the minds of people around it,
and in the case of Isaac in DS1, using them to manipulate people.

Sipowicz

Banned
it would have been worth full price if there was some form of movement, however limited and a lot more to the gameplay than point and shoot. they also could have put in 4 player support and proper lightgun controls instead of the crappy controls they had + fixed some other stuff.

they should have added more in terms of replayability to and had and option to skip the overlong cutsceney bits. oh yeah and do something about the goddamned camera too, it was as if it was controlled by a meth addict

Sipowicz said:
it would have been worth full price if there was some form of movement, however limited and a lot more to the gameplay than point and shoot. they also could have put in 4 player support and proper lightgun controls instead of the crappy controls they had + fixed some other stuff.

they should have added more in terms of replayability to and had and option to skip the overlong cutsceney bits. oh yeah and do something about the goddamned camera too, it was as if it was controlled by a meth addict

dont post ever

birdchili

definitely the least fun to replay of all of the "big" wii lightgun games: unskippable non-interactive story, overly-long levels and no secrets or anything interesting to unlock.

the shooting is definitely fun (the most important thing, really), but there's a lot that should have been done to give this a bit of longevity.

Dash Kappei

Sipowicz said:

Did you even play the game more than 10 minutes?
There's a specific option with camera shaking's degree to be set as you like it.
Also I was the first to whine about no lightgun controls (look at my post history), as I did with RE:DC, prior to playing the game. I have two Perfect Shots and I play my HotD:2&3, Overkill and Ghost Squad all without on-screen-cursor.
If you still think the same after having actually played DS:E then you've done that for no more than a level: it would make ZERO sense to have this game with lightgun-like "no cursor" controls.
And what does movement have to do with how much a game should cost, unless you're still whining about this being a game that doesn't cater to your taste and not 3rd person (and if that's the case I have to ask what are you still doing in this thread months after release).

Apenheul

Sipowicz said:

Well, there is a lot more to it but I guess you just played the game on a low difficulty setting and went all gung ho at it. It isn't a lightgun game and when you accept that you might actually enjoy the game for what it is and not hate it for what it isn't. I've played DS:E right after the 360 version and thought it was an excellent addition to the Dead Space univere, I even thought it was better than the original in some ways. If you're a Wii-only gamer then I can sort of understand that you've wanted to play the original game (or something very similar) on Wii.

gamingeek

I'm having some problems with the final boss.

Fucking scorpian thing? I'm shooting all the yellow bits and he aint dying.

Apenheul

gamingeek said:

Let's see if I remember it correctly.
First shoot the claws with the gun with unlimited ammo, when inside its mouth I used the flamethrower which automatically destroys all the yellow things. Then when you're spit out I used the gun that shoots horizontal discs to destroy the balls (which is the only 'hard' attack of the boss IMO)
. It took me a couple of tries because I was very low on ammo.

gamingeek said:

Fucking scorpian thing? I'm shooting all the yellow bits and he aint dying.

Bosses are a the only real weak point for Extraction, in my opinion.

As for the final boss (or Dead Space in general): force gun >>> everything.

once you damage the yellow sections enough, it will come closer to the ground and extend some kind of tube over you. In this tube will grow yellow section that you quickly have to deal with (spamming it with the force gun keeps it in check very well). You should only have to do that cycle three times.

Wow, Amir0x was right; this IS one of the best Wii games! I mean, it was pretty good as I was playing it. Good controls, good atmosphere, etc. Managed to hold my interest with the plot. But then along came
The end of my character, where it's revealed that only he had become mutated, and he had murdered his entire team. I suspected that he was going to die, and that he was degenerating, but that this was all his imagination?
Wow.

Top Bottom