• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Dead Space Extraction Thread of Guided Dismemberment

gamingeek

Zeitgeister said:
Bosses are a the only real weak point for Extraction, in my opinion.

As for the final boss (or Dead Space in general): force gun >>> everything.

once you damage the yellow sections enough, it will come closer to the ground and extend some kind of tube over you. In this tube will grow yellow section that you quickly have to deal with (spamming it with the force gun keeps it in check very well). You should only have to do that cycle three times.

This seems to be the problem, I seem to be stuck on an endless loop. I'm not dying but I run out of ammo long before this ass wants to die and I go through the cycle many many more times than 3.

I was wondering if I was missing something.

hitoshi

Killer said:
nvm. i think there's a glitch near the elevator in the second chapter. the door wouldn't open.

Look for the console inside the elevator. Not a glitch, just a poorly set viewpoint. You just have to push it :)

Go this for Xmas :)

I hate missing ammo and such.

I wish it was on rails and had the ability to free look 100% of the time.

With that said, I am enjoying it alot for a Wii game.

Sadist

2DMention said:
Should I play this first, or the original Dead Space?
Start with the original.

Extraction might be a prequal, but it kind of spoils the main element of the story in the 360/PS3/PC game.

jibblypop

Banned
I just started playing this a few days ago and I'm really enjoying it. After the first level I was thinking "this is kinda boring" but after the game really gets going, it gets pretty damn intense.
I'm coming from the background of being a light gun game fan and not a dead space fan.

jibblypop

Banned
Just finished the game. I'm gonna go back and try to 5-star all the missions. This is a really great game. It's too bad it sold poorly because I really love light gun games even if nobody else does.

Bought this just before the end of last year and just finished it over 2 days. I thought it was decent enough, although I think the fact that I love the Dead Space story helped matters.

Had to :lol at Lexine's accent though! Didn't know she was a fellow Northern Irelander :D

Tab0203

I finally finished it (15€ Amazon UK).

"Great game"?!

My goodness. Rail shooters really aren't my cup of tea. This "game" is basically a boring 5 hour long cutscene with unsatisfying shooting mechanics, crappy hit detection, laughable physics (Nintendogs has a better physics engine), unstable frame rate and game breaking bugs and glitches. I encountered two game breaking bugs (no sound, camera stuck) and a very noisy freeze in level 5.

The box says "Prepare yourself for the most cinematic action horror experience on the Wii"

Cinematic experience... it's almost a non-game.

I'm glad it didn't sell.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Tab0203 said:
I finally finished it (15€ Amazon UK).

"Great game"?!

My goodness. Rail shooters really aren't my cup of tea. This "game" is basically a boring 5 hour long cutscene with unsatisfying shooting mechanics, crappy hit detection, laughable physics (Nintendogs has a better physics engine), unstable frame rate and game breaking bugs and glitches. I encountered two game breaking bugs (no sound, camera stuck) and a very noisy freeze in level 5.

The box says "Prepare yourself for the most cinematic action horror experience on the Wii"

Cinematic experience... it's almost a non-game.

I'm glad it didn't sell.

I didn't find any bugs when I played it and the shooting mechanics worked just fine.

You must be very unlucky, or something.

And if you think lightgun shooters are non-games, then yes, lightgun shooters are not your cup of tea.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Are there any reasons to replay levels? I loved how in HotD: Overkill because the missions were short you could easily replay levels multiple times and as a reward would be able to further upgrade weapons and improve your high score. The levels in DSE are so long and consist so heavily of dialog I can't see it having the same appeal. I love how cinematic the game is, but unless there is an incentive for replaying on harder difficulties, I can't see myself going through it again. It seems the game's biggest strength is also it's biggest downfall; it creates a in depth rails shooter that sadly reduces the value of multiple playthroughs.

I'm not sure how challenge mode works but if it's strictly combat without searching for items count me out.

pakkit

Banned
There are several branching paths and hidden rooms that add incentive to play through the game again. Also, the amount of weapons available means you won't be able to max out your arsenal the first time through.

ICallItFutile said:
Are there any reasons to replay levels? I loved how in HotD: Overkill because the missions were short you could easily replay levels multiple times and as a reward would be able to further upgrade weapons and improve your high score. The levels in DSE are so long and consist so heavily of dialog I can't see it having the same appeal. I love how cinematic the game is is, but unless there is an incentive for replaying on harder difficulties, I can't see myself going through it again. It seems the game's biggest strength is also it's biggest downfall; it creates a fulfilling single player on rails shooter that sadly reduces the value of multiple playthroughs.

I'm not sure how challenge mode works but if it's strictly combat without searching for items count me out.

If I recall correctly, unless you haven't unlocked all the extra story scenes, increased difficulty is the only advantage to replaying the game. After a while, I'll get the urge to play the game again but never after I just beat it. You're definitely right about the story presentation hurting replayability.

One of the reasons I liked the Resident Evil shooters so much over Extraction was because I never had issues with replaying the same stages over again right after I beat them. The long story sequences can be skipped and you can always shoot destructible objects to look for items during slow spots.

Challenge mode is indeed pure combat. The point is just to rack up a high score. No online leader boards and ridiculously low default scores make the game mode unappealing if you don't have someone to compete against.

Sipowicz

Banned
pakkit said:
There are several branching paths and hidden rooms that add incentive to play through the game again. Also, the amount of weapons available means you won't be able to max out your arsenal the first time through.

the branching paths are shit, all they lead to is weapon closets or take you to the same place with a few extra enemies. there is no replayability because the levels are 40 minutes long and full of unskippable ingame cutscenes. it simply isn't worth it to play through them again to find the EXTREMELY well hidden weapon upgrades (excpet the flamethrower one)

game is worth playing, just make sure you get the superior and far cheaper version on XBLA/PSN. There is no reason to ever buy any of EA's horrible, low budget, overpiced, worthless shit on Wii. they are the worst publisher on the platform

Sipowicz said:
game is worth playing, just make sure you get the superior and far cheaper version on XBLA/PSN. There is no reason to ever buy any of EA's horrible, low budget, overpiced, worthless shit on Wii. they are the worst publisher on the platform

What the hell? Who's paying you? Are you selling XBLA/PSN point cards out the back of your car or something? There is no XBLA/PSN version that we know of and ICallItFutile just said he beat the wii version.

Sadist

broken_record.jpg

Chopper Dave said:
What the hell? Who's paying you? Are you selling XBLA/PSN point cards out the back of your car or something? There is no XBLA/PSN version that we know of and ICallItFutile just said he beat the wii version.
There's a big chance Extraction will end up on XBLA/PSN because EA had some sort of survey(?) in which they discussed Dead Space 2 extra's like a downloadcode for Extraction PSN/XBLA. If PS3/360 owners would be interested in such an option. As for the rest, it's typical Sipowitz drivel.

scitek

Sipowicz said:

I don't care what your opinion is of EA, or the game itself, but when this game hits $20 on the Wii and its downloadable for around the same price on PSN/XBLA, would the IR pointer not give it a slight advantage over crappy re-rendered 480p graphics with analog stick pointer control?

Sipowicz

Banned
scitek said:
I don't care what your opinion is of EA, or the game itself, but when this game hits $20 on the Wii and its downloadable for around the same price on PSN/XBLA, would the IR pointer not give it a slight advantage over crappy re-rendered 480p graphics with analog stick pointer control?

they'll be supporting it with natal and arc, make no mistake. they'll do a much better job with the game itself too and it'll probably have more content

this is EA we're talking about

Danthrax said:
I didn't find any bugs when I played it and the shooting mechanics worked just fine.

You must be very unlucky, or something.

And if you think lightgun shooters are non-games, then yes, lightgun shooters are not your cup of tea.

I love the game, but it did crash on me at least twice, it might have been 3 times, on my first play through. In fact one of the crashes was a bug I was able to re-create on the last level again and again, there's no way it should have made it through any sort of QA process (maybe it was fixed and the publisher sent the wrong build to be printed, it wouldn't be the first time)

Maybe EA have a fixed version in the second run of discs or something like that. Who knows, but if you got through the game without it crashing or glitching on you, then you were lucky.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I don't mind not having someone to compete against; in Overkill I just competed against myself. The problem is combat alone doesn't excite me because I think Extraction's shooting was compensated from the focus on story presentation. There are parts that the enemies are so far away all you can do is shoot in their general area instead of at their limbs, which is the main draw of the game. I feel I was able to have greater precision in Overkill where as in Extraction the enemies flail around so much shooting in the general area of limbs isn't a guarantee hit. The weapons reflect this with some just having a general damage area of effect and other shooting horizontal and vertical lines. If the challenge mode is just the same long levels levels without item collection it's throwaway for me.

I suppose I'll work on unlocking the rest of the comics and after that be done with it, at least for now. I found the shooting in Umbrella Chronicles to be very imprecise and the general difficulty spiked dramatically early on so I've been weary of trying Darkside Chronicles, but it warrants a rental at least.

EDIT: If the game gets remade for Arc and/or Natal hopefully it will get the sales it deserves. Even without knowing the specific details if it isn't done for Arc or Natal the Wii version will still be superior because of the IR pointer IMO.

gkryhewy

LTTP: just played this off my backlog. What a fantastic game! I loved everything about it. Great graphics (legitimately great, not just great for Wii), great surround sound (even though it's not 5.1 obviously), great voice acting.... Meaningfully expands the story from the first game with a likely lead-in to the second.

I did not want to stop playing; highly recommended for all Wii owners.

Anybody else get this on PSN? My wife and I stayed up til 2 am on a work night playing it. It was a blast. I never played the Wii version but I find the graphics impressive knowing its a port. I didn't see another official thread so I apoligize if the bump of this was not needed.

Way LTTP on this; bought it awhile ago but just played through it on Wii over the last few days because I wanted to finish before starting on DS2. I thought it was damn cool, the graphics are great for Wii, I liked the characters and story, and it gets pretty intense in the later chapters. Anyway, I think it's definitely worth a playthrough on Wii or PS3 before DS2. I hope
Lexine or one of the others shows up in the Sprawl in DS2, my thought is that the end sequence was a dream/hallucination, but who knows

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah, I'm probably 2/3rds or so through the game. I really like it, more than I expected to at least. Most of the console light gun games I've played felt like I was pointing and shooting at an FMV, but the frequent story bits and the occasional free look parts make it feel different to me. If I hadn't played Dead Space, it wouldn't be so appealing, but I enjoy the new perspective of the Ishimura and the standard DS weapons like the Plasma Cutter and the Line Gun.

The first boss (tentacle thing) kind of sucked, especially since I didn't have the right weapons for it, but otherwise I'm having a good time. Move people should get this, for sure.

Yeah, the game definitely benefits a lot from the Dead Space universe. Can't imagine playing it without playing Dead Space first, you'd lose a ton of the meaning and the fun of revisiting areas of the ship under different circumstances.

Grisby

devon the dude said:
should I play this before I start dead space 2's campaign?

There's no need. But the upcoming DLC for it will have characters from Extraction so definitely give it a go sometimes.

That and it's an amazing DS game. I'm almost done with 2 and I still think the story, for the most part, is better here.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
This is pretty fun. I think it's enjoyable. It doesn't really have the tension it tries to portray though. It feels maybe a little too slow. The characters freak out but it's like a series of nice camera pans. I just beat chapter 3 and part of 4.

Bebpo said:
Is the game worth playing (PSN) if your only option is a controller?

No. I played through the first level with the dualshock and it's just not precise enough. I'm not playing it again until I get my move controller.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
No. I played through the first level with the dualshock and it's just not precise enough. I'm not playing it again until I get my move controller.

I was okay till about Chapter 8 or 9... just found it to be too frustrating afterwards. I'm gonna wait till I get a Move to play it again... which sucks, the game is really great, but it's not really meant to played with a controller like that, I guess...

Now that my semester is pretty much done with I was able to finish the last 4 missions of this game. The game was pretty great on the ps3, especially since it was a free with dead space 2. It looks great in hd and it's fun seeing areas from the first game again.

Unfortunately, it was also a buggy experience. The move controller felt off for most of the game, either with my pointer being in a an awkward position compared to my controller or simply moving to the left when I was still. Recalibrating the controller via the xmb worked, sure, but that's more steps than I care for from a move game. Also, the game bugged out on me three times during the game. 2 times it did so near the beginning of the mission so restarting it wasn't terrible. However there was that one time that it bugged out near the end of the chapter, forcing me to replay it in it's entirety. Overall, id say that this game could use a patch ti iron out the kinks. Too bad that'll probably never happen.

Is there any way to skip all the cutscenes/talking bits? My god this is the most long winded light gun game ever made. I just want to shoot monsters.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Game's extremely disappointing so far. Of course, I'm playing with a DS3 so I'm not getting the "full experience" but why the fuck do they put boxes in areas and then the dude's head bobs and throws your aim off? Even with a Move I'd feel I wouldn't be able to grab these and the audiologs in time. Hell, Chapter 6 the Medical Bay chapter has an audio log in the "lounge" area of the tram but you don't enter there and you move past it in all of 10 seconds. HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO HIT THAT/NOTICE THAT in time?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Fuck how the hell are you supposed to get past the sewer boss? I try to shoot the orange glowing things and either don't do enough damage and get hit or miss because it dodges and get hit.

Am I supposed to be using a different gun from the default/Rivet or Line Gun or Plasma Cutter? The one bomb one damages me and does no damage to him. :|

Not worth a lttp thread, but am halfway thru this with my brother. Having a blast, despite the frustrating glitches that necessitate a chapter restart. Wii version via wii u. Definitely worth a shot, and I'm having a lot more fun with it than dead space 3.

Malio

Nice bump, did you finish it?? I did, I'll sing its praises too: I loved Extraction almost as much as the first Dead Space. I suspect this didn't sell worth a shit which is too bad. Now I'm sad about the Dead Space franchise being shelved/on hiatus. :(

Top Bottom