• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Dragon Quest VI Import Thread of DQIX Hasn't Even Been Translated Yet

Kishgal

Banned
ruby_onix said:
The first four Dragon Quest games were directed (under Horii's main design) and programmed by Koichi Nakamura. His company, Chun Soft, gets credit for all the games up to DQV and I&IIr (SNES).

Manabu Yamana was a (Chun Soft?) programmer on the original DQ, but then he was grabbed for programming the English versions of the first four NES games. He also directed the English versions of DQIII&IV (I&II were NOA's Scott Pelland) He was given the big director's chair (still under Horii, also with Nakamura staying on as a "supervisor") for DQV, and his own company, Heartbeat, got credit starting with DQVI, until he and his company quit Enix before they were able to insert the English translation of IVr which was written and finished by Enix America. Yamana and some/most of his people reformed as Genius Sonority to make Pokemon side games for Nintendo.

Arte Piazza is an art design company that, near as I can tell, is made up of about two to five people. They contributed art design (under Akira Toriyama) on various DQ games. They were credited as working on DQVII and DQIVr, but they weren't capable of inserting a translated script into DQIVr. They apparently made DQVr on the PS2 with the help of Matrix software, the guys who are making the DS Final Fantasy remakes. If Arte Piazza is making these DS Dragon Quest remakes "by themselves", I think that's a secret code meant to mean that TOSE is making them, under Arte Piazza's direction.
I am well aware of all of this.

As for your last part, it isn't TOSE that's helping with the DS remakes, it's Matrix. They're not credited directly, but many if their staff are.

Kishgal

Banned
john tv said:
Highly doubtful TOSE's making them...because TOSE is mostly only capable of producing crap, and these DS remakes are VERY polished.

Also, fairly certain DQ4r hadn't even started translation before the PS1 version got canned.
I don't know, I always thought TOSE's DQ work was pretty good. The GBC remakes, and all of the DQ Monsters games.

Celine said:
BTW what was the overall J-GAF consensus on DQIX ?
Varied.

In the "Loved it" camp there was myself, rk, and Jonnyram. In the "ehn" camp, there was Bebpo and duckroll. In the "DNF" camp, there was Aeana.

I think it depends on if you get into the post-game content. If you do, it's fucking great. If you don't, it's arse-short, very easy, and story-lite.

Segata Sanshiro said:
If you don't, it's arse-short, very easy, and story-lite.
This basically, but I'd still give the story 5/5 because they kept it simple and cliche which is what I want in every DQ game.

The main quest is easy unfortunately, but well designed.
I have not touched the extra treasure maps content. (trying to keep it for NA)

VI is an excellent game though, and I still wish they'd make a console version with graphics similar to DQ VIII.

ethelred

Segata Sanshiro said:
Varied.

In the "Loved it" camp there was myself, rk, and Jonnyram. In the "ehn" camp, there was Bebpo and duckroll. In the "DNF" camp, there was Aeana.

I think it depends on if you get into the post-game content. If you do, it's fucking great. If you don't, it's arse-short, very easy, and story-lite.

I thought Ducky really liked it?

ethelred said:
I thought Ducky really liked it?
He was enjoying it then he just kind of stopped and wandered back to Devil Survivor. If questioned on it now I believe he answers with "ehn", but perhaps he will let us know himself in a few posts.

john tv

I put about 90 hours into DQIX, definitely enjoyed it quite a bit. It's not the best DQ by a long shot but it has a lot of great qualities. The post game content is by far the best in the series -- there's almost more to do after you beat the game than there is before. Really excited to play it over again in English, whenever it finally comes out.

Celine

Segata Sanshiro said:

I expected that answer :lol
Thanks everybody for the replies.

I'm not really interested in the overall story in a DQ games what is very important to me is that the little events in every villages/cities are all varied and interesting ( typical DQ charm :) ).
Truth to be told a prefer a 30-40 hour RPG to a 80 plus hours one.

PS:
What means "DNF" ?

Celine said:
I expected that answer :lol
Thanks everybody for the replies.

I'm not really interested in the overall story in a DQ games what is very important to me is that the little events in every villages/cities are all varied and interesting ( typical DQ charm :) ).
Truth to be told a prefer a 30-40 hour RPG to a 80 plus hours one.

PS:
What means "DNF" ?
Did Not Finish.

The vignettes are alright in DQIX. Not the best, not the worst. One of them is a real tear-jerker as usual.

Dr. Chaos

Banned
Really gotta finally finish DWIII before this makes it's way over.

Don't know what it is, I was addicted to DWI&II, put everything else aside for them but I started playing the third installment right after and I keep getting sidetracked from it.

DQ4 was good, DQ5 was godly. I'm sure I'll be all over this.

survivor

Banned
I just finished DQV recently and I gotta say, while the gameplay is solid and fun, I enjoyed the story and characters much more. I actually liked the generations gap especially the transition from Gen2 to Gen3.

So just a question, in terms of story and characters, how does DQVI compare?

neo2046 said:

Its strange no one is giving much attention to the ad but in Spain its starting to be famous because its really pathetic.

And im mean REALLY BAD, but so bad is awesome.
As spanish, Its one of the worst acted commercials Ive seen in my live, its incredibly bad acted. They actors have no soul, the phrases are fucking hilarious, it doesnt make sense and they act as if the were stoned. Its that awesome :lol

This is what they say:
"Who are you?"
"Im going with you!"

(What fucking type response is that :lol its has even less sense because of they way she responds :lol )

"What happened to you?, you were not like that before"
"Im just looking... for what I lost"

*Hilarious bad acted shout*
"run... run..."

(he is not alarmed when he shouts to run :lol )

"This is a dream ofmartialarts!"
(Best phrase of the commercial, he says this like a rural spanish who talks fast, is completly hilarious, the "ofmartialarts" bit is not a typo, he just says it like that :lol )

"VICTORYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!" :lol :lol

"This is..."
"...the realm of dreams"

"Im prepared"
(this "actors" have no soul while saying this, they act like machines, :lol :lol )

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
Spain is laughing their ass watching this commercial. I hope they put it tomorrow in a spanish TV program where they have a humour section were they talk about japanese bizarre TV.

Getting this on release. I'll double dip when it comes out in the West. Somehow, it looks even better than V (my best looking game on DS).

I was really underwhelmed by IX, it is a good game but not a great DQ. It kind of fell short on some elementary aspects and eventually grew tedious.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a DS remake of III. Or even better, a Roto Trilogy cart. I'd buy that 10 times.

Kishgal

Banned
survivor said:
I just finished DQV recently and I gotta say, while the gameplay is solid and fun, I enjoyed the story and characters much more. I actually liked the generations gap especially the transition from Gen2 to Gen3.

So just a question, in terms of story and characters, how does DQVI compare?
Instead of one strong overarching story, DQ6 focuses on smaller vignettes in the locations you come across. It still has an overall story, bit it is much more understated compared to DQ5. it works incredibly well, and resulted in one of the most memorable games I've ever played.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Kinda interesting to hear this is rumored to come out before 9 in the US... still I am hoping it's not that long for the English release, I got my SFC copy in 1997 and never finished it - from what I recall, it's probably the hardest in the series since 2 (though that may just be my lack of Japanese knowledge when I played the game).

Will I beat 7 before a US release of 6? Questions, questions.

River of blood
scenario was amazing. And the village music in the game.

Kishgal

Banned
clashfan said:
Never played any of the DQ games. Only played FF 7 and up. Will I like DQ VI? Is it as epic as the FF series?
There's a significantly different focus between the two series. Final Fantasy has moved toward being very cinematic, but Dragon Quest is like going on an adventure. Like being in a fairy tale.

That said, I think 'epic' wonderfully describes DQ5, as it has a very grand scope, following the hero from when he is born, up through his life as he has a family of his own. It's unique in the series, though.

Found DQIV for pretty cheap, it'll be coming in soon. Now I have a time frame so I tried beating FFIV again, and I realized how goddamn hard (well, at least cheap) it is. So my final question is: are the older DQ's cheap hard or only difficult only if you don't plan ahead? I don't ever remember being challenged too heavily in VIII that a change in strategy didn't fix.

Kishgal

Banned
Alpha-Bromega said:
Found DQIV for pretty cheap, it'll be coming in soon. Now I have a time frame so I tried beating FFIV again, and I realized how goddamn hard (well, at least cheap) it is. So my final question is: are the older DQ's cheap hard or only difficult only if you don't plan ahead? I don't ever remember being challenged too heavily in VIII that a change in strategy didn't fix.
The DQ remakes are all balanced very well. If you didn't have trouble in 8, you shouldn't have trouble with the others.

john tv

No Famitsu review this week, sadly. In typical DQ fashion, they're super late. Hopefully next week.

My prediction: 9, 9, 9, 10

We'll see! SO hyped for this.

mutsu

I am thinking of going out today to get it... Hopefully I will and if I do then I will post something.

(am in Hong Kong so I think it's already out).

john tv

2w6ujy1.jpg

Woot!

Sipowicz said:
i heard that this is the worst dragon quest, is that right?

No way, not even close. It's not my favorite, but it's definitely up there.

Kishgal

Banned
souvlakispacestation said:
Play-asia shipped mine yesterday. I preordered it back in December.
Mine shipped a few hours ago. Hoping for Monday.

And 'worst Dragon Quest' doesn't mean much, since they are all varying degrees of awesome.

Kishgal

Banned
For the record, I frequently consider 6 my favorite. But I flounder a lot between 5 and 6. It's a great game, either way.

Sipowicz said:
i heard that this is the worst dragon quest, is that right?

It's at the very bottom along with 7 for me, but that's because I cannot stand how the job system worked in them.

john tv, as you play the game, if they changed the job system at all, please PM me, as I probably won't be reading this thread much and will most likely miss any revelations.

john tv

Red Scarlet said:
It's at the very bottom along with 7 for me, but that's because I cannot stand how the job system worked in them.

john tv, as you play the game, if they changed the job system at all, please PM me, as I probably won't be reading this thread much and will most likely miss any revelations.
I'm pretty sure it's the same, unfortunately! (Well, for you -- personally I loved it so I don't mind.) :)

Got mine. Not too far in so far, but it really starts with a sense of urgency, which is pretty cool since most DQs have a pretty quiet opening. Reading the manual really makes me excited to play with the job system. No furigana in this one like DQ9 had though so it's taking me a little bit longer to roll through the story stuff, haha.

I've been in a bit of a gaming slump recently, but Dragon Quest can always make me grin ear to ear the minute I hear that theme song. I just know I'm going to have one hell of a great time.

Hobbun

john tv said:

On the left, is that one of those ‘ultimate’ guides released in Japan for the Dragon Quest games? I hear they are like 400+ pages.

Actually, from what I recall, at least DQ V had like two of them, one for the quest/walkthrough and one for items/weapons and other miscellaneous things.

I wish NA would get something like that.

Hobbun

Segata Sanshiro said:
Guides kick so much fucking ass in this country it's ridiculous. They make American guides look like pamphlets.

Yes, from what I have just seen online, I can tell.

:(

Again, I remember seeing people sending pictures of the stacks of guides for DQ V (or was it IV?) and how big they were. Also, it was mentioned that was just one of the guides, there was a supplemental guide to go along with it.

Ledsen

Hobbun said:
On the left, is that one of those ‘ultimate’ guides released in Japan for the Dragon Quest games? I hear they are like 400+ pages.

Actually, from what I recall, at least DQ V had like two of them, one for the quest/walkthrough and one for items/weapons and other miscellaneous things.

I wish NA would get something like that.

I don't think they release the "real" guides (usually two of them( until a few weeks/couple of months after release. At least with DQ9, they first released a kind of beginners guide that only had a couple of hundred pages.

Kishgal

Banned
Ledsen said:
I don't think they release the "real" guides (usually two of them( until a few weeks/couple of months after release. At least with DQ9, they first released a kind of beginners guide that only had a couple of hundred pages.
Yeah, that's usually how it goes with FF and DQ games. Even though western guides aren't as good as the big JP guides, at least they tend to come out with the games. For Japanese games, it can often be quite a wait.

Western guides are usually so superficial that they barely qualify as more than a basic walkthrough, though. Japanese guides are like, hey man, here's the whole fucking works, let's go through this together.

survivor

Banned
I have been looking at the awesome picture john tv posted but something is bothering me. Just how many things is he running on his PC? I can see like 12 windows open but there is probably more.

Hobbun

Kishgal said:
Yeah, that's usually how it goes with FF and DQ games. Even though western guides aren't as good as the big JP guides, at least they tend to come out with the games. For Japanese games, it can often be quite a wait.

I'd be willing to wait. I almost never play my games right away when I buy them, due to my backlog.

Although I never see us getting these kind of guides (unfortunately), anyways.

I guess one good thing is we are getting a FF XIII guide published by Piggyback.

Kishgal

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Western guides are usually so superficial that they barely qualify as more than a basic walkthrough, though. Japanese guides are like, hey man, here's the whole fucking works, let's go through this together.
There is the occasional great guide like DoubleJump's SMT guides, at least. Their SMT3 guide is a translation of a Japanese guide, I believe, actually.

But it's true; Japanese guides usually have way more in-depth information from the developers themselves in some cases. Nothing we'll ever see in English will match the Ultimanias or the DQ guides by SE Mook.

Sipowicz

Banned
two questions.

1. is there any good characters in this like torneko and yangus?
2. why is himuro not allowed in this thread? i thought he really likes RPGs

Sipowicz said:
two questions.

1. is there any good characters in this like torneko and yangus?
2. why is himuro not allowed in this thread? i thought he really likes RPGs
1. I'll let you know as I get to them. Hassan seemed pretty likable from my brief time with him.
2. Himuro is not allowed in this thread because he sucks.

Top Bottom