• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official E3 2009 Prediction Thread

Since this E3 will be the first full E3 that I will be in attendance and since most of GAF knows me as the guy who always has a ton of predictions, I figured it would be fun to create the Official E3 2009 prediction thread. If you guys aren't exactly sure how these work, check the GDC 2009 prediction thread (also created by me) that we had going before GDC. Basically, what do you guys think we'll see from the big three at GDC this year and what sort of surprises might blow everything else out of the water?

Here are my guesses as to what we'll see from the Big 3:

Microsoft:

-Alan FUCKING Wake. This is literally its do or die year. If we don't see it at this year's E3, then I would be willing to bet that we will not see its release this generation.

-2K Boston's next title will revealed and it won't be X-Com. Shawn Elliot has hinted at it a ton on his Twitter and they have been pretty under-wraps with info. Also in 2K news, 2K Marin's Bioshock 2 will have an enormous presence during Microsoft's show and some sort of exclusivity will be announced for the 360 SKU.

-Halo 3 ODST and Halo Chronicles are going to be shown, both possibly demoed, during MS's press conference. As Halo Wars has proven to the people who didn't think an RTS could really sell on a home console, THE HALO BRAND WILL SELL ANYTHING. Bungie knows this, Microsoft knows this and the people want Halo games. And hell, let me throw this out there too, another Halo game will be hinted at during E3 at some point.

-Mass Effect 2 BLOWOUT. No more needs to be said, it will be huge.

-Rare is going to have, at least, one big game for the fall. And, I'm guessing that game will either be Perfect Dark Zero 2 or Killer Instinct 3. Nuts and Bolts, despite major GAF support, did not sell well and the last Viva Pinata game on 360 didn't even launch in the Top 20 on the NPDs so I'm willing to guess that there won't be any announcements in those franchises. Also, whatever happened to that downloadable racing game using avatars that Rare was making?

-Probably goes without saying that we'll see upgrades to NXE and the Party features announced at the show. However, I think a big surprise will be the first back room rumblings of the Xbox 720's tech. It's too early to show the masses the next hardware since 360 is doing quite well at this point but an unveiling in 2010 does not seem that out of the ordinary.

Nintendo:

-Kid FUCKING Icarus. If we don't get it now, then we won't this generation. This is Nintendo's Alan Wake.

-That said, if we don't get Icarus then we will get the announcement of ONE of these two games for this holiday season: Zelda Wii or Super Mario Universe, (Nintendo would not show both a new Mario and a new Zelda so fanboys don't get your hopes up, if we se any, it will be one or the other). Iwata said at E3 LAST year that the Zelda and Mario teams are hard at work (the Zelda: Spirit Tracks team is not the core Zelda team, by the way, so we still haven't seen the next core Zelda) and Gamestop has been told to reserve store space this holiday season for a big game. One of these two is that game. Or maybe that game is the next guess...

-Wii Fit Plus. This is already on Gamestop reserve list despite never being officially announced and the title is already floating around out there. Is this a full-blown sequel to Wii Fit or a version 2.0 with Wii Motion Plus? We'll find out at the show I'm sure and Nintendo loves showing the big casual games.

-Nintendo will announce at their conference and, possibly same day release, the GB and GBA Virtual Console on DSi. This has been rumored at ever since the announcement that the DSi would have an SD slot for external memory but it will actually be shown for the first time at E3. Also, I mentioned this in the Pokemon Platinum thread but I'll mention it again here as it is the only "insider info" I've heard at the moment. Apparently, Pokemon Red, Blue and Yellow will be launch titles for the GB VC service on DSi and Nintendo is also currently hard at work on having Pokemon Stadium available on Wii's VC service by the end of the year. Can you say "Connectivity 2.0"?

-Modern Warfare 2 will be confirmed for Wii. Call of Duty 3 and World at War both sold relatively well on Wii, just not anywhere close to their other console counterparts though, and Modern Warfare skipped Wii for some reason. However, if Activision is really serious about trying to make this the greatest-selling game of all time, there will, undoubtably, be a Wii version.

-A version of Super Smash Bros. will be announced for DS. It seems like that is the one huge blockbuster series that Nintendo has left to make a DS iteration for. Of course it would be huge, of course everyone wants it, so why not do it?

-Wii Motion Plus BLOWOUT. On-stage demos of Sports Resort, Wii Fit Plus, Red Steel 2, and, if it is announced, Zelda Wii, to show just how precise the new add-on really is and how it is incorporated into this year's big games. Also, I'm sure that Nintendo will use Red Steel 2, Rabbids Go Home and Modern Warfare as their 3rd party showcase titles like they did last year with Clone Wars, Rabbids TV Party, and World at War.

-New Wii channels will be shown, one of which will be the US version of Nintendo streaming video service that is coming to Japan next month. Nintendo has already stated showing interest in porting that over here and my guess for some of the programming that will be available on the service would be Pokemon and Kirby: Right Back at Ya!

Sony:

-Team FUCKING Ico's Next Game. If we don't get it now, then we won't this generation. This is Sony's Alan Wake and Kid Icarus. We should AT LEAST expect footage.

-Despite this practically being confirmed in the 1UP story, PSP Go! will be revealed, announced for an October release in America and will have LBP PSP and Motorstorm as launch titles. None of this is really any big shock but I'm sure it'll be a major push at this year's show.

-Kojima's Next Game will be shown. He already confirmed that we'll see it at E3 so no doubt its presence will be felt during Sony's conference and throughout the show. My guess? It's not a Metal Gear game.

-A lack of PS2 presence. Sony has probably realized by now that one of the many things holding back PS3 from selling is that PS2 is still going well. With the recent price-drop though, things have finally hit the floor and Sony seems to realize that its time to focus on solely the PSP and PS3 now because those are the systems that truly are in need of help. That said, I am expecting an announcement of PS2 on PSN for PS3. Launch titles? Shadow of the Colossus, God of War, and MGS 2 would be my best bets.

-The first 3D compatible PS3 games will be shown. Sony demonstrated true 3D compatibility for titles like WipEout and MotorStorm at GDC this year so I'm sure something big is in the works. Not only do I think Sony will announce downloadable 3D patches for these games but I also think some titles will be announced that are being developed from the ground-up for the idea. I'll bet Starhawk is one of these big 3D push titles.

-God of War 3, MAG (Hopefully it's been renamed), Uncharted 2, Starhawk, and Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time will all be demoed and will all be announced for Fall/Winter 2009. Sony is going to do all they can to make this the second year of the PS3.

-A PS3 Price Drop. It will happen, I would almost 100% guarantee it. If not, I'll have the mods change my tag to "I eat my own fecal matter for pleasure" if it doesn't happen.

Well those are my predictions, what do you guys think we'll see?

P.S.: These threads are always fun to come back to after the show is over to see just how wrong we all were. :lol

wRATH2x

Banned
Whoa E3 is just one month away right, for some reason I don't give a shit. I expect disappointment on all 3 fronts.

Oh and awesome avatar Wii Will Rock U.

Wrath2X said:
Whoa E3 is just one month away right, for some reason I don't give a shit. I expect disappointment on all 3 fronts.

Oh and awesome avatar Wii Will Rock U.
Yeah, I know, I can't believe it's only a month away. That's why I made the thread now. I think this gives people enough time to come up with good predictions.

And thanks for the compliment, I love my avatar too. :)

UraMallas

Wii:
Hopes center around a better performance than last year with more focus
on games that I would be interested in. It wasn't even that Nintendo didn't
cater to me but their line-up and showing was abysmal. I hope that Nintendo has
seen the error of their ways and has a conference with more substance. I felt a
lot of last year's show was fluff segments for mainstream media that didn't show
off enough content. Even on the show floor, where Nintendo usually shines, they
were lacking in every genre.
Fears that I have tie in to my hopes. I fear the idea that Nintendo may
continue the trend they started last year of making their E3 about fluff pieces
for mass media saturation. I get the general idea behind it but I think they've
seriously mistaken the audience of the trade show. Also, I fear for the Wii that
sits in my living room if Nintendo doesn't show me big name franchises with big
budgets. Which leads me to...
Dreams that I have revolve around the "Big 3" that were shown in 2002. I
want a repeat of that formula. I want a sequel to Mario Galaxy, a sequel to
Twilight Princess (or shock us again and give us Wind Waker 2!) and a new
trilogy of Metroid games in classic 2D announced. Those would be my big dreams
for Nintendo this year. I would also like to see Pikmin Thwii and a God damned
new IP for the Wii generation that doesn't have "Wii ____" as it's tag line.
Wii Probables:
PunchOut!! Wii playable.
New Play Control-centric part to presentation and a designated booth with the
Metroid Primes, Resident Evils and Super Mario Sunshine.
At least one truly great Wii third-party game that comes out of the show as a
contender for Wii GotY.
At least one of the "Big 3" in my dreams sections is a reality.

Xbox 360:
Hopes are about keeping up the pace. My 360 gets some serious use and I
hope Microsoft comes to play with a big reveal or two. Maybe not FFXIII-big but
at the conference try to steer clear of You're in the Movies-type disasters.
Lips did moderately well but the rest of "casual" games bombed pretty bad.
Unless your casual offerings are better than last year, MS, don't waste the
stage time with demos of the games.
Fears include the lingering feeling that, perhaps, MS can't keep
up the pace. Have they played the majority of their hand or are they holding
their release schedule close to their chest like in years past? My biggest fear
as that this year they roll back the current and we picked the donkey. Is it a
legitimate concern? I, myself, go back and forth on that issue. I'm leaning
towards this fear being unfounded, though.
Dreams have to do with a couple of things but let me start with Rare.
Killer Instinct 3 (which is almost a given) isn't enough for me, I dream of a
Perfect Dark 2 being released by year's end that is far superior to PD0 because
of it's extended time to bake in the oven. I want it to blow me away and be the
premiere November shooter. I also want Perfect Dark Arcade to be a
surprise release, the day of the show. I dream of a big exclusive "should tap"
announcement where a big name game for the fall comes exclusive to 360. How
about Mass Effect 2?
360 Probables:
Another version of Box Office Smash, another version of Lips and a new "casual"
game series.
Unveiling of the newest features being added to NXE, including the 1vs.100 and
game trivia challenges, live and in real-time while other Live users can watch on.
Killer Instinct in some form, either an Arcade release or Killer Instinct 3 on 360.
Halo 3: ODST is the main focus of the show with a live demo on stage. September
release at a discounted price and can be downloaded through Live or picked up,
in-store.
GTAIV 2nd DLC unveiling.
Forza 3, but this one is probably a 50-50 for me.

PS3:
Hopes include a price drop and a big surprise or two. Sony,
traditionally, puts on my least favorite shows at E3 but last year's was
considerably better than usual for them. Continue the positives of last year's
show and show games, games, games. I hope they play to their strong suit which
is their exclusive first-party line-up which is second to no one.
Fears are mostly that they shoot themselves in the foot. Outside of a
"hit the weak point for massive damage" type debacle we should be all set.
Strangely, I'm rather confident in what I'm going to see from Sony this year.
Usually their conference has me the most worried. But with their game line-up
for the second half of 2009, it would almost be impossible to screw this up...
so I guess my biggest fear Sony shows so much incompetence that they somehow
totally blow the awesome set-up they have for this year's E3.
Dreams include a big time 360 exclusive coming Sony's way. Something like
BioShock 2 exclusivity, that would be HUGE. I also secretly hope and dream that
FFXIII vs. is better than FFXIII proper. I also dream of the time when I can
finally use Sony's free online service as easily and cohesively as I use Live.
This year could be the year. Oh, and the new PSP model is probably going to be
there but I'll put it in "Dreams" for now.
PS3 Probables:
God of War III playable.
Ratchet and Clank playable.
Uncharted 2 playable.
MAG in some form at the conference.
New PSP shown.
At least one new internal project will be unveiled for 2010 release.
GT5 shown and dated for Fall 2009 or Spring 2010

Wii Will Rock U said:
-Nintendo will announce at their conference and, possibly same day release, the GB and GBA Virtual Console on DSi. This has been rumored at ever since the announcement that the DSi would have an SD slot for external memory but it will actually be shown for the first time at E3.

I'll go one better and predict that they will announce NES/SNES virtual console for it too.

a new PS3 sku, not a real price drop as usual.

maybe a sp ed ps3 'red' with Kratos face or the God of War emblem on the console.

LCfiner

I don't have too many unrealistic expectations. with that said, here's what I'm thinking:

Itagaki comes out of hiding and has a new game published by MS. no gameplay trailer. just a tease. it's bloody, bouncy and badass.

2K Boston shows their next game. no idea what it is but there's a level called "tunnel full of dicks"

Mass Effect 2 blowout, absolutely.

Jackson's "Halo Chronicles" disappoints (whatever it is).

Sony shows off an insane first party lineup.

Team Ico's next game gets a beautiful, haunting trailer that revels nothing of what we'll actually be controlling or doing in the game. it doesn't matter. pants are soiled.

MAG is Meh

God of War 3 blows off faces

Brutal Legend rocks our socks off

Nintendogs Wii will devour our souls.

Manbabies fall to their knees and cry when Zelda Wii is announced. Regardless of whether it's a hardcore Zelda or a fishing minigame, there will be tears.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I predict bitching and depressed forum goers no matter what happens.

Anyway, personal expectations with my slant on it.

Nintendo: One "core" game announced. Some more 3rd party "efforts" shown but nothing truly exciting. They will shove sales numbers down your throat. DS line up will look good for those who care.

Microsoft: Sequel madness. some exclusive, some not. More XBLA pushing, Alan Wake? Who cares. Will push XBLA numbers and avatars on us. Halo ODST stuff.

Sony: PSP Iteration, oddly surprising PSP line up, PS3 line up. Maybe Team ICO game? Talk about PlayStation family. More PSN games. Surprising 1st party line up. People will bitch because Sony showed stuff before E3. Bitch about UMDs is in/out. Bitch, bitch, bitch.

PC: Will reign surpreme with 3rd party ports and tons of original content. None of it will get covered because gaming media still thinks PCs are $2,000 and will shove pencils up their asses.

iPhone: More spooging over iPhone games no one gives a fuck about.

Sadist

Microsoft
- Alan Wake will finally be there
- Some casual game nobody cares about (maybe some Lips reboot)
- New Avatar feature for Live
- Bioshock 2 Exclusive DLC
- Something big from Capcom regarding Lost Planet 2

Sony
- Enormous PSP showing, including new model
- And a few new software surprises (new God of War)
- Showing of new feature for PSN
- A lot of time for Gran Turismo 5, God of War III and Final Fantasy XIII
- And of course Uncharted 2

Nintendo
- Jokes about last years show by Reggie
- Graphs
- Introduction of several DS titles like Mario and Luigi 3, Dragonquest IX and Zelda ST
- Wii Motion Plus blowout: Grandslam Tennis, Red Steel 2 and one all new third party title
- Big Nintendo title using MP will be Wii Sports Resort and Pikmin 3
- Third party reel: all games we know about

Third parties
Capcom: big PSP title and Onimusha 360/PS3
EA: several bigger Wii titles

That's all I got.

Microsoft
Forza 3, and Please have dirt courses with rally cars!
Perfect dark 2, hopefully living up to big expectations.

Sony
I hope to see the "new" handheld.

D-Pad

Wii Will Rock U said:
-Nintendo will announce at their conference and, possibly same day release, the GB and GBA Virtual Console on DSi. This has been rumored at ever since the announcement that the DSi would have an SD slot for external memory but it will actually be shown for the first time at E3. Also, I mentioned this in the Pokemon Platinum thread but I'll mention it again here as it is the only "insider info" I've heard at the moment. Apparently, Pokemon Red, Blue and Yellow will be launch titles for the GB VC service on DSi and Nintendo is also currently hard at work on having Pokemon Stadium available on Wii's VC service by the end of the year. Can you say "Connectivity 2.0"?

THIS! YES!! Please, please, please, please, Nintendo?

Didn't Iwata mention somewhere that some titles were going to be announced this year that would boost the Wii's library to be like PS2's? Or something like that, I can't remember how it was put...

Jaruru

these predictions are pretty optimistic. (although they're very welcome)
but nothing SURPRISE there. should we predict anything NEW? :D

Lakitu

st5fu
Microsoft: A new "Home" type interface, new Casual Games and Interfaces, XBLA stff, Forza 3, Alan Wake, Halo 3: ODST, something from Rare possibly Perfect Dark 2, GTA IV: 2nd DLC, and a couple of exclusives / new franchises we don't know about.

Sony: They will try to appease to the casual side, I don't know how though. Also, they'll have God of War III, Uncharted 2, MAG, Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time, Starhawk, Heavy Rain, Gran Turismo 5 and the new Team Ico game unveiled. Also, PSP2 announcement.

Nintendo: Not been paying much attention to them this gen, but obviously stuff on Motion+. Maybe Kid Icarus, Zelda will be announced along with a new Retro Studios game.

Konami: Kojima's new title (Metal Gear Solid 5), Pro Evolution Soccer 2009

Codemasters: Dirt 2, F1 2010, Overlord II, Operation Flashpoint 2

Capcom: Spyborgs, Lost Planet 2 (and demo), Dead Rising 2, Dino Crisis 4 maybe and another announcement.

EA Games: A new game by Criterion, Mass Effect 2 blowout plus new ME DLC on Xbox Live announced via Microsoft conference, Dragon Age: Origins, Dante's Inferno, Dead Space 2 teaser, Bourne teaser, sports line-up, The Saboteur, Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Rock Band.

Ubisoft: Assassin's Creed II blowout, Beyond Good & Evil 2 teaser, Splinter Cell: Conviction unveiling, Ghost Recon 3.

Activision: Guitar Hero, Modern Warfare 2 blowout

Rockstar: GTA IV: DLC 2, Red Dead Redemption and Max Payne 3 trailers.

Square-Enix: Final Fantasy XIII US Demo Playable at convention plus new trailer, Project Rapture mmo, Star Ocean PS3

Eidos: Deus Ex 3

Bethesda: Fallout: New Vegas teaser, Elder Scrolls V teaser

Sega: Alpha Protocol, Aliens vs. Predator 3, Aliens: Colonial Marines, a couple of announcements

2K Games: Bioshock 2, 2K Marin's new game, Borderlands

Valve: Half-Life 2: Episode Three teaser

LiK

MS:
FFXIII Versus

Sony:
PS2 Games for PSN

Nintendo:
Another shitty press conference with Dunaway

HUELEN10

All I know is that the first real details about DSi Cards from Ninty will be revealed, I mean they have to with Ubisoft's my healthy cooking coach coming out soon on a DSi Card.

As for my hopes and dreams, they will announce NEW PLAY CONTROL! Paper Mario The Thousand-Year Door, Game & Watch Gallery 5, Mario & Luigi: Vore Of The Worlds for USA release, Layton 2, and one last thing....

If indeed a smash bros for a handheld is in the works, it shall be a DSi Card it shall be released on, this will push the rest of the core audience to buy the system.

Also, not Nintendo related-but it needs to be released...
11v1x03.png

Make it happen Dimps!

Jaagen

HUELEN10 said:
As for my hopes and dreams, they will announce NEW PLAY CONTROL! Paper Mario The Thousand-Year Door

What would NPC add to Paper Mario? Point and click?

I hope we'll see both "ICO 3" and whatever Retro's working on. If I get that, E3 will be complete for me(and a Fallout: New Vegas teaser wouldn't hurt too)

Sony

- LBP 1.5 ps3 and LBP PSP
- Final Fantasy XIII gameplay of outside of the city
- Final Fantasy vsXIII gameplay
- Z.O.E 3

Big N

- new Mario DS
- new IP from Retro Studios
- NMH 2 gameplay with wiimote+

Xbox

- Taking more sony games
- Stoping PC game to make you buy 360
- Wii mote rip off like they did with Mii's

sorry for last one its a joke i dont care what they show

LCfiner

jump_button said:
Sony

- LBP 1.5 ps3 and LBP PSP
- Final Fantasy XIII gameplay of outside of the city
- Final Fantasy vsXIII gameplay
- Z.O.E 3

Big N

- new Mario DS
- new IP from Retro Studios
- NMH 2 gameplay with wiimote+

Xbox

- Taking more sony games
- Stoping PC game to make you buy 360
- Wii mote rip off like they did with Mii's

sorry for last one its a joke i dont care what they show

wow... bitter much :lol

thaOwner

Sony
-'Updated' PSP
- New PS3 SKU
- Secret PS3 Game Unveiled
- Scret PS3 game from Secret developer
- FAT PRINCESS
- TRINE
- WKS release date.
- Demon Soul's release date

Microsoft
- Splinter Cell
- Secret Xbox 360 game uneveiled.
- Xome Unveiled
- Exclusive arcade titles
- Next release of something news goes exclusive
- MGS4 revealed for 360 with Otacon and everyone else playable plus a new chapter

Nintendo
- Something
- Anything

-

Sibylus

Banned
Half-Life 2: Episode Three

Valve's confirmed as showing up, they said they might show something at the end of last year and it's been a while since then. All the pieces are in place.

Gbeav

Banned
I hope Forza 3 is announced with 4 dvd's and 3 have to be installed.

Tired of this lack of tracks shit.

Dante

I'll keep it simple the three big things everyone will talk about:

Sony: Team Ico

MS: MGS4 Port

Nintendo: Some sort of add on to the Wii.

Sin

Wollan said:
Microsoft shows off this falls multiplatform titles so Sony can focus on their 1st party line up.

:lol

I don't think I will be spoiling anything more this year, let people enjoy the event.

LiK said:
MS:
FFXIII Versus

Sony:
PS2 Games for PSN

Nintendo:
Another shitty press conference with Dunaway
I know it sounds right in terms of what's happened in thew past, but for the same reason it's wrong. They announced 13 acquisition last year but only in NA and Europe, they didn't say anything about VS 13 and it would have made sense if the game was available to them to announce it at the same time as a "one-two" type of thing. Never mind the amount of stupidity that followed after the announcement and Sony's recent hard push in the gaming division. Let alone the fact that MS secured several exclusive RPG's from SE that were never released on PS3 and it's safe to say Sony can do the same with the change of management.

Also the recent Advent Children release specifically said "Only on PS3" or something like that at the end of the trailer. Now the 13 trailers also said the same thing, but It would make zero sense for Square to keep it up if any deal had been made in regards to VS13 at this point in the cycle and do the same thing they did with 13 all over again.

I'll take a permanent ban if it does come out for 360(And no I don't mean a year later port).
We've all seen how Microsoft works in this regard, either they go day and date with PS3 or they really don't care about that game at all to warrant a late port when they could be securing other titles. There's many example of this including 13 itself but not one that I can think of where a late port came in for 360 from PS3.

Sin said:
:lol

I don't think I will be spoiling anything more this year, let people enjoy the event.
But you're an insider :p I hope we get new firmware though, love the added features/improvements.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
I think we will see something from Ruffian games at the Microsoft conference. Something to do with Crackdown, or something similar to it.

HUELEN10

Jaagen said:
What would NPC add to Paper Mario? Point and click?
It could at that, it could also make the Art Attack work better, make tattling on thing in the overworld better, have 16:9, motion controls for the hammer, etc.....

Basically, it would add the bare minimum, like in DK Jungle Beat or possibly Chibi Robo.

Top Bottom