• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official E3 2009 Thread (June 2-4) of Everything's already leaked ;)

OmniGamer

Pardon my ignorance...but why isn't the coverage on the G4 HD channel actually in...HD??? I finally got the HD flavor of this channel and was hoping to finally see it put to good use, and the damn coverage is in letterboxed SD...except for the white stripe at the bottom for the news crawl...THAT actually utilizes the full 16:9 frame. Are the conferences only in HD via the Gametrailers site? I have a beefy CPU, but i have ass for an internet connection(1.5mbit/s DSL), so i'm sure i wouldn't be able to stream it in HD.

Somebody has said to me

there will be TWO Mario games and a Metroid tomorrow. I personally suspect Zelda in place of Metroid if Retro's spin-off project really existed and never really got cancelled.

So here's hoping said person isn't yanking my chain!

I have to wake up early at a relatively decent time tomorrow to catch Nintendo's presentation. Ugh, it better not disappoint. The past 2 years have sucked ass. Third time's a charm?

Scrubking

radioheadrule83 said:
Somebody has said to me

there will be TWO Mario games and a Metroid tomorrow. I personally suspect Zelda in place of Metroid if Retro's spin-off project really existed and never really got cancelled.

The internet would explode.

Scrubking said:
The internet would explode.

If it's Mario Galaxy 2 and NSMB:2 I would forgive Nintendo for the past 2 years

If it's just Mario and Luigi 3 and Mario & Sonic @ the winter olympics, I will eat 3 babies

seat

Anyone know if Ubisoft is hosting an official live stream of their presentation tonight? It seems to imply it on their site, but I don't think it's totally clear.

CrisKre

posted it elsewhere, but will repost here:

I JUST came from my badgeholder pick-up at e3, and managed to get into the expo while they where prepping. Things i saw at the nintendo booth:

Sin and punishment 2 huge banner + endless ocean 2 huge banner.

The rest of the wii section banners where covered so as to have no leaks i suppose. I could make out without a shadow of a doubt through the sheets Luigi + a mario bros brick square + a coin lol. I think new super mario bros. wii will be there. There was A LOT more covered i couldnt see.

Also im concerned because the capcom reel didnt have anything on monster hunter tri. =[

Fireflu

Hey guys, does anyone know if IGN are going to be doing anything similar to the live lounge thing they did last year??

Tiktaalik

Folks are starting to write their conference summaries it seems. GameSetWatch has an absolutely glowing writeup of Microsoft's event.

http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2009/06/e3_analysis_this_year_microsof.php

E3 Analysis: This Year, Microsoft Lived Up To Its Own Hype

[We're covering E3 en masse, of course -- go check out Gamasutra news for the full skinny - but we'll feature the top analysis pieces on GSW too.

Here, Leigh Alexander reflects from Los Angeles on the major takeaways of Microsoft's E3 briefing -- why the company's real killer reveal will see the least buzz, and what announcements like Project Natal and MGS Rising could mean for the industry.]

When it comes to presentations, Microsoft hasn't exactly got a reputation for austerity, so it was fitting that the company's press event (also covered in liveblog form by Gamasutra for the raw announcements) should be the one to kick off the "new" E3.

The enormous packed amphitheater awash in drifting green light patterns, flecked with gold strobe and decked out with enormous display screens, throbbing power-pop and strange honeycombed stage architecture was exactly what you'd expect from a company that feels like it's number one at the event of the year.

E3 press conferences are usually well-choreographed, hype-heavy events; one can expect a few nice-looking trailers, a few surprises, and perhaps one or two real kickers -- like last year, when the company announced it had finally broken Square Enix's Final Fantasy PlayStation exclusivity for the thirteenth installment, at least in the U.S.

This year, it's been easy to dismiss Microsoft's promises that it would "completely transform how people think about home entertainment" as more of the company's usual aggressive bravado. But the company's E3 media briefing wasn't just talk.

Microsoft brought it. Formidably.

Beatlemania!

Early on in the conference, the company brought the Beatles on stage -- Paul and Ringo, the Beatles -- to thunderous cheers, joined by Yoko Ono and Olivia Harrison, to lend their support for Rock Band: Beatles, whose cheerful opening cinematic saw its first debut at the event.

"Who'd ever thought we'd end up as androids?" McCartney joked. "We look great," said Starr.

That moment of genuine joy was further warmed by the announcement that proceeds from Xbox 360-exclusive downloadable track 'All You Need Is Love' will all go to Doctors Without Borders.

The Stuff You Expected

Other than that, a cameo from skating legend Tony Hawk, the exclusivity of a surprisingly creative-looking Splinter Cell: Conviction, the impressive vividity of Modern Warfare 2, the revelation of a new Halo in Reach were all the sort of things you might expect.

Microsoft's vaunted entry into the racing space with Forza Motorsport 3 -- complete with shiny red Audi on stage, fog machine, and promises of "the definitive racing game for our generation," and "the best looking racing game on any console" of course -- was flashy, but a logical move.

Incidentally, that the company that owns the Windows OS made it through an entire two-hour presentation without once mentioning the PC platform is strange, but not too surprising, either.

The Obvious Coup

"But we're not done yet," Xbox senior VP Don Mattrick said. "It seems we're missing one crucial piece of the puzzle."

Enter Hideo Kojima.

Last year, the announcement of FFXIII for Xbox 360 in the U.S. was Microsoft's best card. This year's defection of a formerly PlayStation-associated franchise was not the biggest announcement -- in fact, it was something like one more stone in an avalanche of eyebrow-raisers for Microsoft this year.

The news that the forthcoming Metal Gear Solid Rising will come to Xbox 360 represents Microsoft robbing its rival of one of its few remaining third-party exclusive franchises, and certainly its most desirable one. The company didn't need Metal Gear to give a dominating presentation -- but it had it anyway.

The Quiet Triumph

Microsoft's real killer reveal will likely receive the least amount of press and buzz from the hardcore gaming community -- Xbox Live's integration with Facebook and Twitter.

Xbox Live users will be able to invite their friends on the service to become their Facebook friends, and vice versa. In the near future, starting with Tiger Woods PGA Tour 09, gamers will be able to post screenshots of favorite gaming moments to to their Facebook pages for all their friends to see.

This means Xbox Live as a community will be exposed in a huge way to Facebook's massive 200 million userbase -- not only will the Xbox Live network effectively join the webbing of an existing mainstream social network, but it's likely that Facebook users will be pulled in. The company gains free marketing at the same time it provides a much-needed service to its users. Brilliant.

And if that's not enough, the company's also partnering with super-sticky, explosive web app Twitter -- by integrating Xbox Live seamlessly with both of these powerful mainstream social networking platforms, Microsoft is proving that the Xbox 360 can be one, too.

And, Of Course, Natal

Strange that they should pronounce their gesture-based control project Na-TAL, because the company's clearly birthing something major here.

Although at the event Stephen Spielberg called video game controllers "a barrier separating video game players from everyone else," it's likely there's a significant portion of the gaming audience that isn't ready to put down their controllers yet -- or ever.

Project Natal, then, is significant more for what it means to "everyone else." Though it's hard not to share Peter Molyneux's palpable excitement for the lifelike interaction the technology can enable, the concept of a television display that recognizes and greets you when you walk by, that allows users to control downloadable film menus by waving a finger in the air, are even more significant for the impact they could have on modern entertainment.

Microsoft's Winning

Between the social networking integration and the revelation of what could feasibly become a home entertainment mainstay, Microsoft's E3 presentation was so strong not so much because of its video games -- although there were no weak reveals there, to say the least -- but because it's obviously planned ahead to position itself as an integrated entertainment hub in all the ways its competition has only attempted to.

For once, the company lived up to its own hype. And as a legion of dazed media and industry folk filed slowly and quietly out of the amphitheater, one question could be heard on everyone's lips, murmured into cell phones and in curbside chatter in the lines to the shuttles.

It sounded hushed, funereal, sympathetic:

"What can Sony do now?"

I'm unwilling to jump on the "Sony's doomed" train quite yet, but I agree with the tone of this article that Microsoft's conference was indeed superb, and maybe their most impressive ever.

Not back in from work long, trying to catch up on E3 but using GAF today is, well, um.... Let me express my frustrations with a GIF.

darkhelmet500.gif

OmniGamer

OmniGamer said:
Pardon my ignorance...but why isn't the coverage on the G4 HD channel actually in...HD??? I finally got the HD flavor of this channel and was hoping to finally see it put to good use, and the damn coverage is in letterboxed SD...except for the white stripe at the bottom for the news crawl...THAT actually utilizes the full 16:9 frame. Are the conferences only in HD via the Gametrailers site? I have a beefy CPU, but i have ass for an internet connection(1.5mbit/s DSL), so i'm sure i wouldn't be able to stream it in HD.

Anybody???

Kogepan

Tiktaalik said:
Folks are starting to write their conference summaries it seems. GameSetWatch has an absolutely glowing writeup of Microsoft's event.

http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2009/06/e3_analysis_this_year_microsof.php

I'm unwilling to jump on the "Sony's doomed" train quite yet, but I agree with the tone of this article that Microsoft's conference was indeed superb, and maybe their most impressive ever.

...i don't see it at all....yoko ono + tony hawk playing multiplat titles? MGS multiplat? Facebook integration :lol :lol

halo/l4d/crackdown/forza announcements were solid however, but nothing unexpected.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Hey to the mods, the 500's seem to be lower (still around, just not as badly).

All the big stuff is done for the night. Could we maybe post in OT again? Just for the night, then shut it down again in the morning before Nintendo comes on.

Conan's show starts tonight and we wanna discuss it. : (

gdt

omg rite said:
Hey to the mods, the 500's seem to be lower (still around, just not as badly).

All the big stuff is done for the night. Could we maybe post in OT again? Just for the night, then shut it down again in the morning before Nintendo comes on.

Conan's show starts tonight and we wanna discuss it. : (

I'm going through OT withdrawal :(.

So many things to discuss :(.

Mar

radioheadrule83 said:
Somebody has said to me

If they announce a 2.5D new Metroid game, I will buy another Wii.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Kogepan said:
...i don't see it at all....yoko ono

Come on, are you really going to pretend Ringo and Paul weren't there? And they announced downloadable albums for the game.

tony hawk

Agreed. No one really cares.

MGS multiplat?

Wait, so the next MGS coming to 360 isn't a big deal because it's also coming to PS3? And it was the first time it was announced, which is a big deal.

Facebook integration :lol :lol

It's so "pretentious gamer"-like to laugh at stuff like this. They spent a VERY short amount of time on this. 90% of the show was dedicated to gaming.

Facebook integration looked very good. If you care about that kind of thing. And many people do. I got an IM from a friend saying she liked how Microsoft was putting more social features into it. My brother and his friends said it looked fun (they were watching it on G4).

It's a simple and small thing, but when put together with Netflix, last.fm, Twitter, and whatever else, it adds to Microsoft doing a fantastic job of making the 360 a social console. It's based completely around community and something as simple as Facebook adds to it.

You may not care about Facebook, but many do. It's a small, but neat, feature for a lot of people.

halo/l4d/crackdown/forza announcements were solid however, but nothing unexpected.

We also so gameplay of the FANTASTIC looking Splinter Cell, as well as demos for FFXIII and Halo 3: ODST.

And you didn't even mention the technological marvel of what their camera is promising. Whether or not it delivers remains to be seen. But we've never seen a camera with that sort of ability in gaming before and it could open up a lot of possibilities.

ZeoVGM

Banned
radioheadrule83 said:
Somebody has said to me

Could you explain why this person would be credible?

Shurs

Anyone have any suggestions for streaming the conferences? The Gamespot stream looked like ass, the Game Trailers stream was of the same quality, even in "Hi-Res" mode. The IGN stream looked nice but was delayed and started hanging on me when Modern Warfare 2 was shown. The G4TV Justin TV stream buffered too much. Any suggestions? Have I exhausted all of my options?

ZeoVGM

Banned
Shurs said:
Anyone have any suggestions for streaming the conferences? The Gamespot stream looked like ass, the Game Trailers stream was of the same quality, even in "Hi-Res" mode. The IGN stream looked nice but was delayed and started hanging on me when Modern Warfare 2 was shown. The G4TV Justin TV stream buffered too much. Any suggestions? Have I exhausted all of my options?

None of the streams will be perfect. Sucks that you don't have G4. :(

Tiktaalik

The Facebook+Netflix+Twitter stuff is the important stuff, as is EA's and Ubisoft's online integration of their casual kid friendly games into their casual, kid friendly online websites. All of that is more groundbreaking and important to the industry than Halo 4 or whatever other iteration of some hardcore game.

mr_nothin

Banned
Tiktaalik said:
The Facebook+Netflix+Twitter stuff is the important stuff, as is EA's and Ubisoft's online integration of their casual kid friendly games into their casual, kid friendly online websites. All of that is more groundbreaking and important to the industry than Halo 4 or whatever other iteration of some hardcore game.
Sarcasm?

Games dont matter...on a gaming system?

Kogepan

omg rite said:
You may not care about Facebook, but many do. It's a small, but neat, feature for a lot of people.

We also so gameplay of the FANTASTIC looking Splinter Cell, as well as demos for FFXIII and Halo 3: ODST.

And you didn't even mention the technological marvel of what their camera is promising. Whether or not it delivers remains to be seen. But we've never seen a camera with that sort of ability in gaming before and it could open up a lot of possibilities.

Maybe if the 360 had a browser they wouldn't need to waste time with special 'facebook applications'. All the garbage I hear about 'MS better not be wasting time on a useless browser' here on GAF yet some craptastic Facebook app gets kudos??

yeh, SC:C looks awesome, so does forza. Natal stuff not so much...

Niks

Why is it so quiet here?

Where are the Sony and Nintendo fans?? Its their turn to shock us, although the bar has been set pretty high.

Sony had the momentum going into E3, I believe they will have a solid presser... Nintendo hmm, its tough to say.
:D

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I don't think the OT side is going to open up for Conan tonight :(

Rumors for Sony's Conference Tomorrow:

• Rockstar Exclusive Game
  • Square Enix to present something (haha, I know- awesome description)
  • Kojima to make announcement
  • New IP unveiled
  • Old IP shown - not sure what this means
  • New price/sku

Parl

I enjoyed the conference, and there was some interesting stuff to watch around all of the boring crap like Tony Hawk's, Forza, Rock Band Beatles, another poor looking Halo sequel, and some other stuff that was boring that I've probably forgot.

Alan Wake looked fairly cool, though I probably won't get it as it doesn't fit in with me only playing single player games casually. The Splinter Cell title looked at least decent - I paid less attention at this point than I should have. Can't say I'm interested in FFXIII.

There was nearly pointless twoddle like this Facebook and Twitter stuff. Useful for social network obsessed gamers who are on their 360 a lot, even if they're not playing a game, and aren't willing or able to have their PC on and available at the same time as they sit through the day on their 360 - which would be odd if they're social network obsessed; their PC is bound to be on fairly often too.

Natal, interesting, but unproven. Why no big titles announced, why no third parties? Why no target date? Why no price? Wouldn't surprise me if this turn out to be vapourware. It's not worth trusting MS on this until we see the accuracy of the technology and how it stacks up against Wii with motion + with FPSs, racing games, etc, when it comes to accuracy with motion. If it's not very good in this department, it's just a glorified Eye Toy, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's just ridiculous that an Eye Toy can some be the end for Nintendo. Even if it is good with games that aren't flail or big gesture games, it would certainly need to be a good price, be supported by major franchises, or major new IP, and possibly even packed in.

Natal made no sense to me. It's completely unclear what they're aiming to do with the 'product'.

6/10 for entertainment and interest (I use the whole scale) - more entertaining that all 3 of last year's.

Slurmer

Banned
For once, the company lived up to its own hype. And as a legion of dazed media and industry folk filed slowly and quietly out of the amphitheater, one question could be heard on everyone's lips, murmured into cell phones and in curbside chatter in the lines to the shuttles.

It sounded hushed, funereal, sympathetic:

"What can Sony do now?"

give me a break:lol

djblackice said:
Rumors for Sony's Conference Tomorrow:

• Rockstar Exclusive Game
  • Square Enix to present something (haha, I know- awesome description)
  • Kojima to make announcement
  • New IP unveiled
  • Old IP shown - not sure what this means
  • New price/sku
SE rumor is Rapture
And there's Epic PS3 exclusive
And SECRET PS3 GAME

Top Bottom