• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official E3 2009 Thread (June 2-4) of Everything's already leaked ;)

Timbuktu

I've been away for a few days and missed the conferences. All the announcements are a bit overwhelming, but am I right in thinking that Rare and Retro have not announced anything?

w3stfa11

Timbuktu said:
I've been away for a few days and missed the conferences. All the announcements are a bit overwhelming, but am I right in thinking that Rare and Retro have not announced anything?

Correct.

ctalamode

Neo Member
Can we expect anything big from the Square Enix conference tomorrow? If I remember correctly, last year's SE conference was a disappointment with nothing new shown.

ctalamode said:
Can we expect anything big from the Square Enix conference tomorrow? If I remember correctly, last year's SE conference was a disappointment with nothing new shown.

Probably not, but this is GAF. Hope springs eternal.

AniHawk

So we (my coworker and I) got there around 10. Way too damn early, actually. So we waited and waited and waited. We saw Tony Hawk and that was cool, but people kept hounding him and he looked busy, so we didn't want to bother him. I didn't see the press conferences, so the first thing I did was check out the Nintendo booth to see just what Super Mario Bros. game had been revealed.

NSMB Wii was a little disappointing, I have to admit. I was expecting something more oldschool and less like the DS title. The gameplay has the potential to be fun the way Four Swords Adventure was. Since you're ranked at the end of each level, you can be a bastard and throw a friend down a chasm to decrease their score at the end of a level. Some of the power ups are neat. I started filming, but one of the women working there told me the guy at the kiosk had to be in the frame for me to film. There were people from Retro, HAL, and Intelligent Systems wandering the area. That was kinda neat.

So next I went to Rabbids Go Home. I could barely understand the poor guy working the booth, but I made it through the level just fine. The first level is pretty basic; it's the one from the trailer. I can tell the full game will be pretty fun and funny, but probably won't be considered more than a "7" or "8" type of game to most people. Fans of the Rabbids will enjoy it.

I went to the Sony booth next, and played A Crack in Time while the Sony Press Conference played in the background. The level I was playing was somewhere in the middle of the game, and I was having the hardest time controlling it. The level relied on Ratchet's rocket boots, and they required big turns, sometimes towards the camera. There were also some chasms that had Ratchet fall to his death. Probably around my seventh death, I stopped playing (The Last Guardian video came on and I had to stand and watch in awe).

Afterward, I went over to HVS's booth to check out The Conduit. I was very uh, skeptical, of the game to put it in a pleasant way, when I first saw it, but I left the booth impressed. Each kiosk was connected and every person was playing another in a mode called Bounty Hunter. You're given a mark to kill, and if you kill anyone else, it's negative points against you, but if you kill your mark, you gain points. Meanwhile, you're someone else's mark (you can attack back and it doesn't count against you if you kill that person), so you're being hunted while you hunt. The game will support up to 12 people online, and it's pretty much done. The team is also pretty damn young and enthusiastic. One of the guys behind The Conduit told me they have about five games going on right now, and we agreed that he really can't say anything about them. The game controls really well, and you can adjust the sensitivity as you play, apparently (though I didn't). The sensitivity levels were a little off from what I remembered of Metroid Prime 3, but the game was pretty fluid otherwise. I didn't play the single player. It seemed to get some pretty positive impressions from everyone who played while I stuck around there. I was certainly impressed.

I wandered around for a bit. Capcom's booth was kinda full, and I had thought Bayonetta was there (because, well, Kamiya and all and I wasn't thinking). So I went back to the Nintendo booth because I wanted to play Red Steel 2.

Red Steel 2 was close to the least favorite game I played. Switching between the gun and the sword works really well, but it gets very disorienting very often. I imagine it takes a while to get used to the controls since swinging the Wii remote means swinging the sword, and holding B means firing your gun. So a common mistake is to hold B and swing the sword while in a fight. From what I played, it seemed to be only a demonstration of the Wii Motion + controls, so, for the most part, you were just moving from area to area to fight enemies (though some had more armor). It also requires that you really SWING the remote like a sword. The guy I spoke with said that in the Expert levels, you'll really need some strength behind your movements. Considering my arm's been broken twice, and the pain I felt after the five or ten minutes I played, I don't think it's a good thing.

Span Smasher was right next to Red Steel 2, and it's much more my type of game. Using the Motion + controls were meant to give you better control over the yellow round thing, but I couldn't tell. I played for two levels and a boss fight before the end of the demo. If priced right, I can definitely see myself picking it up. It's also supposed to be a multiplayer game. I don't know if it was announced at the conference.

Wii Fit Plus was something I didn't get much playtime on. All I saw was the Mario-like platforming segment, so I had to play it. And, it was pretty good. My coworker said at some point before I got knocked off the platform, Reggie stood behind me and watched as I played. Afterward, my coworker called me over to where he was (he was about to be interviewed in front of NSMB Wii with Matt Cassamina). Everyone was taking pictures, even Charles Martinet (which I thought was a little strange). Geoff Keighley came over and played a little bit later as well.

We went back to Sony's booth one last time, because my coworker told me Ghostbusters was amazing. There were three people playing: two adults, and a kid about the age of 7. And neither one gave up the controller after ten minutes or so. I wound up watching them play and it looked pretty mediocre to me.

We played Uncharted 2: Among Thieves last. It controlled pretty sloppily and it was the least favorite game I played at the show.

On the way to the Microsoft booth, my friend spotted Jack Tretton. I told him they had a good show (we were walking the same direction) and he said thanks. True story.

Once we got to the Microsoft area, I started to crash. I played The Crystal Bearers, and there's no doubt that there was a lot of effort put into this game. The part I played was of the main character controlling this ship, and you had to steer it so it wouldn't crash into the rock walls on either side. Meanwhile, as you crash more and more, this girl becomes more and more frantic, starting off with screaming and eventually ending up with comments like "WE'RE GONNA DIE!" It looks like the Wii remote is there for pointer controls mostly. You pick things (or people) up and throw them. Aaaand that's about as far as I got. Good voice acting, though.

I played Scribblenauts until I got stuck and someone else wanted a shot at it. I saw Steve Wiebe and Walter Day. I played Dead Space Extraction, and I was pretty impressed. Being on-rails is not really a knock against this game, especially since it does it so well.

I wanted to play Bayonetta, but there were too many people and not enough time.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
The Bayonetta demo felt like a mashup of DMC (the original, not 3 or 4) and God of War. I was ready to declare it to be overhyped, but it may actually live up to the forum's ridiculous expectations. It was jawdropping at many points. My only complaint was that it was a tad too easy, but I'm sure that there is a mode for the masochists out there.

The core element of a beat-em up is making the player feel like a badass, and Bayonetta delivers on this in a big way.

strange_booj said:
Will there be any more big annoucements? Have there been other years after the first 2 days?

There's a Square conference tomorrow...there was a rumor about a Kingdom Hearts announcement for Wii, I'm not sure if that's been denied yet.

If not, there's always talk for FFXIII and XIV, KH DS, etc.

Tiktaalik

AniHawk said:
*Impressions*

Thanks for all that. Very interesting. Good to hear that Dead Space Wii is good, and the positive comments about Conduit are, err... well, positive! I feel like I am probably as skeptical of the title as you were before you played it, so it sounds very encouraging that you liked what you played. Hopefully the single player also shines.

Keep us updated about your further E3 adventures if you're going again tomorrow.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I guess I'll talk about some of the DL titles, since they tend to be overlooked.

I played the steam demo awhile back but I was surprised by how good Trials HD was. I don't know how much they've added but it was one of my favorite downloadable games on the floor. I heard it was a part of another 'Summer of XBLA' along with Splosion Man and some other titles.

I played Epic's sidescroller (Shadow Complex) and I see a lot of potential. The intro had a lot of action but the slower paced second half of the demo reminded me a lot of Flashback. It has some adventure elements as well as action. The game takes place on a 2d plane but there are some really interesting 3d elements to the game, such as engaging enemies in the background. There were some strange level design choices but they will hopefully provide better cues on where the player should go in the final version.

I also saw Fat Princess and I have to say that it looks gorgeous in person. I don't know if it was running at 1080p but it looked very sharp and vibrant. I never saw the kiosks empty so I'll have to wait in line to play it tomorrow. The demo appeared to be a bot match.

I played Trash Panic and I don't think I picked up on all the nuances. There seemed to be a lot of depth under the surface but I didn't see how I should strategize so I ended up playing it pretty mindlessly. Maybe a tutorial would help.

New Rumors: (I was told correct info about the Rockstar exclusive - yay!):

Games that could be shown tomorrow:

• Friday the 13th
  • Kingdom Hearts 3 (probably later)
  • "Noose"
  • Mass Effect 2 coming to PS3.
  • GTA DLC - Not Lost and the Damned, but it is called "The Hard Way."

Other info:
  • Syphon Filter definitely a no show.
  • Sucker Punch 100% working on Sly 4 (already confirmed, right?)

Enk

makes good threads.
djblackice said:

Friday the 13th

???

HD Nes remake for online download?

AniHawk said:
We played Uncharted 2: Among Thieves last. It controlled pretty sloppily and it was the least favorite game I played at the show.

If you played wiifit 2 and still uncharted 2 was your least favourite, you should not be saying it that loud here.

harSon

Banned
djblackice said:

• Friday the 13th
  • "Noose"

Other info:

So they're going to revoke The Ballad of Gay Tony and rename/replace it? Makes sense.

AniHawk

Vaandaviii said:
If you played wiifit 2 and still uncharted 2 was your least favourite, you should not be saying it that loud here.

All I played was what amounted to a first-person platforming game you controlled with your feet (It was very similar to Mario in the colors and the like that they used). Yes, it was more entertaining than wrestling with Uncharted 2's controls and ND's bland level design.

Ashour

1cesc said:
This makes no sense. Rockstar isn't even at E3. Plus most of those rumors sound really fake.

I know Rock Star isn't at E3 but what I'm saying is if this was true they wouldn't change the name of the DLC which they announce just a week ago it will be a new DLC, they said they want to let GTA 4 live as long as possible.

Daante

BAYONETTA world premiere Hands on:

http://e3.g4tv.com/videos/38661/World-Premiere-Hands-On-of-Segas-Bayonetta-from-E3-2009/

A LOT OF NEW footage in this video ( i think? )

"I am a little tired from today, but here:

I was at E3 today. The very first thing that I did was walk to the Sega booth. I saw a lot of people stop and start to watch the Aliens Vs. Predator trailer on their big screen, but I personally had only one thing in mind; Bayonetta. I had to wait for one person to finish the game before I got the chance to play it myself, but even that wait was nothing since I could see so many screens of this amazing game. When I got to play it, it was everything I wanted it to be and more. The moves, animations, graphics, framerate, combat depth, and so on and so forth. The game very much will be setting the bar for climax/stylish/over-the-top action games in the coming years. It was the first game I played at E3 and it was almost all I could think about through the whole day. I had to come back later before I left to play again (I even saw Kamiya and the lovely Bayonetta model on my second time there).

Put simply, this game cannot come soon enough"

http://forums.platinumgames.com/showthread.php?t=272&page=2

What happened with the Capcom announcement, has it somehow been buried under the news/pics/vids coming out of E3, or was it simply MIA?

Is there anywhere where we can download all three conferences in HD?

Or just a good streaming feed in HD? I've tried both GameSpot and IGN and don't like either (IGN is too small - not an Insider and GameSpot is just a pixelated mess).

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
djblackice said:

• Friday the 13th
  • "Noose"

Other info:

D:?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
djblackice said:
[*] Kingdom Hearts 3 (probably later)
You know what, DQX before DQIX is out, FFXIV before XIII is out... So yeah, KH3 before VersusXIII and BBS are out. Let's do this shit SE, bring it.

Tucah

you speak so well
sionyboy said:
What happened with the Capcom announcement, has it somehow been buried under the news/pics/vids coming out of E3, or was it simply MIA?

A new Resident Evil for PSP

creamsugar

10026871113.jpg

LegendofJoe said:
Where in the heck is the Nintendo conference thread? The guy who started this thread made a big deal about it and here we are 20 mins prior to the show and he's posted nothing.
WRONG.

I did post something and they locked it so a big WTF to that. :lol

And yeah, I've updated the OP a ton.

Wolfwood0

Neo Member
AniHawk said:
All I played was what amounted to a first-person platforming game you controlled with your feet (It was very similar to Mario in the colors and the like that they used). Yes, it was more entertaining than wrestling with Uncharted 2's controls and ND's bland level design.

Wow...

You are full of shit.

Septimus

There's just no way in hell KH3 will be revealed. I mean, who the hell would be developing it? Put it on hold until Birth by Sleep, not to mention Versus are both done.

Septimus said:
There's just no way in hell KH3 will be revealed. I mean, who the hell would be developing it? Put it on hold until Birth by Sleep, not to mention Versus are both done.

Crazier things have been done and announced. I mean we just got a FFIV announcement yesterday. Square announced IX, X, AND XI all in one day.

It's possible, and to be honest probable.

drkOne

dermannmitdemcolt said:
Hey, how many hours till the SE/Konami Conferences?

SE is 1h from now - 11:00 AM.
Konami is 5h from now - 03:00 PM.

Can anyone confirm that we'll get live streaming from G4? OP says it'll be liveblogs only.

methane47

MMaRsu said:
Are there streams for any of these conferences? or just liveblogs :)
http://e3.gamespot.com/live.html

Damn.. I'm watching Lost Planet 2 right now and it looks awesome... really nice!

Edit: HOLY CRAP.. There's like a huge monster.. during their co/op play and Like 3 guys went INSIDE the monster and were shooting at the weakspot while there was a guy in a mech shooting it from the OUTSIDE.. ALL at the same time... WTF awesome.. All the while the guy was fighting against the current of water which eventually dragged him down and Out of the back of the monster..

This is ridiculous!!

Wii Will Rock U said:
Reminder that S-E conference is in less than a half hour.

I was going to say that there was no news from last year's conference... but that was just a Q & A on FFXIII after the 360 announcement, so the format isn't really comparable. Still, it's generally best to maintain low expectations.

Top Bottom