• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Endless Ocean 2 thread: A humpback whale is about to ram us!

Sweet. I hope you can choose a non-douche character this time.

Unicorn said:
too bad they can't combine this gameplay with the RPG elements of Everblue 2 on PS2.

Studio's older game, but it was a lot more in-depth with gear; if only it had the freedom laden gameplay it'd be my favorite relaxing game.

I just ordered this the other day. I can't wait :D

gamingeek

Did anyone play the first game online?

I tried it a couple of times but without voice chat and with no objectives or real interaction it was a little pointless.

I ended up using the marker to scrawl out rude messages in the ocean. :D

Glad the second game has voice chat.

gamingeek said:
Did anyone play the first game online?

I tried it a couple of times but without voice chat and with no objectives or real interaction it was a little pointless.

I ended up using the marker to scrawl out rude messages in the ocean. :D

Glad the second game has voice chat.
I think the worst thing about it was that you couldn't acquire new fish information online. If they fix it, then it will make more sense going like: "Come here, I'll show you that fish!"

gamingeek

:Motorbass said:
I think the worst thing about it was that you couldn't acquire new fish information online. If they fix it, then it will make more sense going like: "Come here, I'll show you that fish!"

I'd love to be able to trade items and send messages and photos online.

Also maybe have some stuff to actually do in 2 player. Like challenges to take photos with the other character riding a whale or dolphin. Maybe have some sections where you have to weld underwater pipes in a Meroid Prime 3 mechanic.

Or have a random online hookup. So in the first game you gave tours to people? Well in the sequel give actual tours to noobs to the second game and get like a point score for it or cash to buy gear to wear.

GeekyDad

I've still got the first one collecting dust in my entertainment center. I think it received all of about 30 minutes of play. It seems a novel idea, but I just couldn't get into it. It's a game that cries out for achievements.

gamingeek

GeekyDad said:
I've still got the first one collecting dust in my entertainment center. I think it received all of about 30 minutes of play. It seems a novel idea, but I just couldn't get into it. It's a game that cries out for achievements.

You're not going to get into it after 30 minutes. You need to play the game and check your emails. The whole world opens up, you visit new places see new things and the PDA system constantly gives you mini objectives to do.

30 minutes hasn't even begun to scratch the surface.

Haruspex

Banned
I'm glad you don't have to pet fishes anymore, for me it was always jarring to see this white hand on screen start scrubbing away at a fish. I also never liked all the dolphin training/partner aspects of the original, it detracted from the mood but I guess people need the 'game' part in there somewhere.

Bizzyb

Banned
Very relaxing game, I love it. Ca't wait for the sequel which looks to do everything but better. I'm praying they add SOME kind of audio support. Hell even ACC will do.

Tab0203

Someone sent me a PM on youtube with some information I thought I'd share:

First I recommend you visit this website, despite being in Japanese it is easy to navigate:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/r4ej/

Now I will give you some info about the game you probably dont know:

The Arctic Ocean has been confirmed a few days ago, previous videos have shown the Antarctic Ocean (due to the penguins)

A location in the Aegean Sea has been confirmed, I am particularly excited by this news because I come from there, holiday there every year, got by PADI SCUBA certification from there and I am writing this message from there right now.

The abyss has a welcome return to the game (screenshot evidence)

The four confirmed locations on the website are now the Cortica River (Amazon), Arctic Sea, 9 Ball Island (South Pacific) and Ciceros Strait (Aegean Sea) but there are two coming soon slots; one is almost definitely the Southern Ocean (Antarctica) but the sixth is unknown.
Release (Japan): 2009.9.17

edit:
Nintendo's fiscal report also includes a release chart, it says that Endless ocean 2 will be released in 2009 in Europe and 2010 in America! This means that we will get EO2 before Xmas.

Famitsu released a couple of new screenshots on their website and one of them showd the encyclopedia. From this picture we can see it has 79 pages of information and possibly more for legendry creatures. Looks like it is shaping up to be a big game

Well I new about the phot transfer capibalities from the first few videos on the website, but when it comes to music import it is very unlikley, infact more unlikly than it being in. Of course there is three more coming soon slots in the first videos on the website which shows game features. Another cool thing that is in the game, which you probably know about is that there are baby whales, not at all gam changing but I think that is pretty cool.
Mabye it is a good idea to ask for questions from neo gaf and then send them to me to answer, I dont meen to blow my own trumpet but i probably know the most about the game outside of nintendo because of my costant research about the game (i.e) serching "endless ocean 2" every morning and filtering results to only show from the past 24 hours.

I look forward to new questions

Double D

Not trying to start shit here, but as someone who just got really into saltwater aquariums, I'd like to play a game like this. I have all the systems, and would really prefer something in HD.

So, should I get Endless Ocean or import Aquanaut's Holiday? I know literally nothing about these games other than what I've read here and I watched the trailer for Aquanaut's Holiday minutes ago. Thanks in advance.

Zhengi

Nice. Looks better than the first one. Really looking forward to this game.

Edit: That new trailer looks amazing. Wow @ that whale snacking!

gamingeek

Vik_Vaughn said:
Not trying to start shit here, but as someone who just got really into saltwater aquariums, I'd like to play a game like this. I have all the systems, and would really prefer something in HD.

So, should I get Endless Ocean or import Aquanaut's Holiday? I know literally nothing about these games other than what I've read here and I watched the trailer for Aquanaut's Holiday minutes ago. Thanks in advance.

If you prefer to play something in HD then there is only one choice anyway.

Double D

gamingeek said:
If you prefer to play something in HD then there is only one choice anyway.

What I'm saying is that if Endless Ocean is clearly a better game, I'd go with that. If there is little difference between the two in terms of gameplay, fish variety, etc., then I'll go this Aquanaut's Holiday. Thanks

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
From clumping around the Japanese website and videos, it seems that we have:

Six (at least) locations to dive at
- Arctic
- Antarctic
- South Pacific
- Aegean
- Red Sea
- River in Brazil

Six characters (one of which I presume is the player)

Some sort of scoring system

Warning signals on the depth gauge/guage measuring thing

Some 'danger' from creatures

Some on-land stuff (not sure if it goes so far as actually exploring)

General feeling that it is more expansive and a bit more 'gamey' than the first one, which won't please all EO fans but is likely to pull in more people overall. A bit more towards the Everblue feel.

Some localised collectibles as well as random treasure.

Sounds as though Hayley is still in there somewhere

Can't wait - but luckily it won't be that long - pleasure of being European.

BDGAME

OMG, this look so better than the first one. The animals look and move more naturally and has more fishes in the environments.

The "danger" can make it more awesome.

Yes, looks like a must buy for everyone who likes this kind of game (me include)! :D

gamingeek

Vik_Vaughn said:
What I'm saying is that if Endless Ocean is clearly a better game, I'd go with that. If there is little difference between the two in terms of gameplay, fish variety, etc., then I'll go this Aquanaut's Holiday. Thanks

I dont know of many people who have actually played both games. A good indicator would be searching up both official threads here.

From what I've read in the past Aquanaughts sounds a little short. I played EO for 45 hrs and I'm still not done but I guess it depends on if you want to find all the species and nooks and crannies.

If I had both machines I would get both, because if you fall in love with Endless Ocean you will want more, whatever form it might take.

Another thing you should be aware of, EO is no longer being manurfactured by Nintendo and you will have to likely pick it up second hand now. Also Aquanaughts english version you will have to import.

CTLance

2ntzajm.png

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO (Youtube vids are down)

What did I miss? What did I miss?

Gwanatu T

hamzik said:
That was beautiful. The graphics are definitely looking better, especially the animations have been improved. I want this game now!

I'll post these snippets of info from my other thread again.

- Wii Speak support for online diving
- you can dive in rivers and under the polar ice
- "dangerous" situations can now occur underwater
- you can hold on to your dolphin for fast swimming
- search for treasure with sonar tool
- improved graphics overall
- bigger underwater world to explore

Excellent, just about everything I wanted in a sequel. The first was fun, albeit a bit boring after a while. but it is sort of a non-game anyway. Does anyone know if there are more "gamey" elements in this one?

CTLance

Gwanatu T said:
Excellent, just about everything I wanted in a sequel. The first was fun, albeit a bit boring after a while. but it is sort of a non-game anyway. Does anyone know if there are more "gamey" elements in this one?
Look at post #77 above. Seems like they added a number of "game" aspects.

gamingeek

CTLance said:
2ntzajm.png

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO (Youtube vids are down)

What did I miss? What did I miss?

Aw man, it was two new experience videos which was a 50/50 split between footage and some japanese guy on a sofa playing it. There was some good stuff, great whites and whale sharks.

Maybe gametrailers will have them, I will go look now.

EDIT:

No gametrailers dont have them.

Otherwise you might want to check thevgpress.com thread as we post the newest stuff there regularly.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
First game was awesome. I played it just a week ago for old time's sake and it was as relaxing as I remembered.

Sequel looks set to blow the original away.

CTLance

"Hai, Cheez-u!" ... Looks like I'm gonna have to buy one of dem Wii Speak thingamajings.

So awesome. Don't know about the OST though, when the singer uses an understandable language it somewhat distracts from the whole thing IMHO.

Thanks for the links, gamingeek.

gamingeek

CTLance said:
"Hai, Cheez-u!" ... Looks like I'm gonna have to buy one of dem Wii Speak thingamajings.

So awesome. Don't know about the OST though, when the singer uses an understandable language it somewhat distracts from the whole thing IMHO.

Thanks for the links, gamingeek.

You're welcome. I feel the same way about the music. I want it operatic.

gamingeek

Vik_Vaughn said:

I just remembered a long time ago I posted a bunch of metacritic review quotes for Endless Ocean 1.

CRITICAL RECEPTION

NGamer: "A breathtaking experience."

Official Nintendo mag "As freeform a game as you're likely to get, offering depth beyond measure. "

NTSC UK "amongst the violence and destruction found elsewhere in videogames, it will always be refreshing to sit back – cup of tea in one hand, a remote in the other – and simply just relax in the deep blue. "

IGN "Arika has created a very good, albeit different title that centers on the process of exploring the ocean and both seeing and cataloging its inhabitants. There is almost no way to lose (and the aquatic life is all safe, sharks included), but you will have fun all the same simply discovering new things, whether that encapsulates a humpback whale or a long-lost underwater civilization."

1up "Endless Ocean isn't like most games. While others drive tension and excitement to a fever pitch, Endless Ocean's deep-sea visuals and bubbling sound effects slowly dissolve your cares and stresses -- while occasionally eliciting gasps of awestruck disbelief."

G4TV "There’s something pretty telling about a game that can suck away hours of your time before you know it. That’s just what Endless Ocean did to me. Despite not being a game in the classical sense, Endless Ocean is a solid and fascinating diversion. "

Zentendo "A great value with a surprising amount of modes and depth."

Gamedaily "It's strictly a deep-sea diving simulator with heavy emphasis on exploration, treasure finding and aquatic discovery. With that said, it's a mesmerizing experience. Nintendo produces a vivid, wondrous underwater abyss to explore, complete with plenty of missions to fulfill."

Cubed 3 "It's going to last you as long as you want to keep on exploring. There's a lot of sea to explore before you can say you've seen it all. "

Gamezone "A charming and unique experience. Gamers with an open mind toward design will find a lot to admire here. It may even make you question what makes a game a game. "

Gamecritics " tooling around underwater and leisurely unfolding the central events in Endless Ocean remained unexpectedly delightful and engaging until the end—and even a few hours after. "

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
gamingeek said:
I just remembered a long time ago I posted a bunch of metacritic review quotes for Endless Ocean 1.

I just remembered a long time ago I gathered a bunch of forum posts from people playing the game shortly after release

PLAYERS REACTIONS

“Holy crap, that was jaw-dropping. I don't know why, but I was genuinely dumbfounded by this sighting... seriously... that was amazing” (swan3624 on Gamefaqs)

“I just can't believe someone would say all you do is swim in this game. Thats like saying all you do in GTA is drive. There's so much more to it.” (Great_pudding_3 on Gamefaqs)

“Did anybody else scream out loud when XXXXXXXXX” (Maximo37 on Gamefaqs)

“Seriously, I'm totally blown away” (Universal Hamster on Eurogamer)

“I exclaimed a loud "WOW" when I found a XXXXX. Sat and watched for ages and just marvelled” (mcmothercruncher on Eurogamer)

“it was a sort of "holy crap!" moment to be swimming through the dark in XXXXX and suddenly come face to face with this enormous XXXXXX” (Ezekiel_25_17 on Gamefaqs)

“Truly wonderful, I actually let out an audible gasp” (Pac-man ate my wife on Eurogamer)

I'm not quite sure why it works... but the first time you encounter a XXXXX it's really quite breathtaking. (CaptainBinky on Eurogamer)

gamingeek

phisheep said:
I just remembered a long time ago I gathered a bunch of forum posts from people playing the game shortly after release

I did the same with GAF quotes.

"Got the game today. Lost >four hours of my life.
Was able to get away from game when drool shorted out wiimote. So good.

Exactly what I was looking for."

LOL

"purchased 3 new games that all came out today, the first time I've done that when each has been on a different system. I got Ratchet on the PS3, COD4 on the 360 and Endless Ocean for the Wii.

I put on the 'cheap' Endless Ocean for a quick look before moving onto one of the bigger hitters. Suffice to say I just lost 5 hours of my life and the other two remain un-opened."

"just wanted to add more glowing praise for this game. I played it all last night and i got up early today just to be able to play it again!

As had already been noted while the underwater stuff is amazing, the boat and people look pretty crappy on land. "

"bumped into my first whale and I was blown away. I spent about 20 minutes just swimming around with it, completely memorized by the whole experience. A weird feeling to have but it was such a surreal experience. Didn't expect the game to deliver like this, but this one meeting was worth the price of the game for me. "

I didn't realise how perfect the Zora's domain would be till I tried it. Dire dire docks from mario 64 wouldn't play If you set a track on the deck of the ship you can then switch between it and another of your choice from the ingame music. You have to pre-determine that as you descend and cant change that.

But anyhows........ Oh my....... ........ God I just got back from a trip down a deep crevasse with this deep water diving air mixture and....... That one seamless experience will live with me as one of those great gaming moments that you will always remember. Picture it, it's night, blackness and you cling to the wall and get this extremely alien feeling of vertigo as you vertically plunge down into the abyss, the light of your torch illuminating the rock wall as you descend. This choral, godly music echoes gently in the background as you go.

Then out of the dark murk a sperm whale emerges and the music reachesa high pitched crescendo and it drifts by, another tease as you can't track this one and it disappears. Then you submerge deeper and..... well I wont spoil the rest but OMG. Just wow, unlike any other game experience I've had. The whole game feels worth it just for that section.

Kuran

Banned
The new footage looks absolutely incredible, it appears they have gotten a much larger budget then the original game, which is very noticeable.

Two questions:

- Has anyone found out how well Endless Ocean 1 sold overall? I know it didn't do great in Japan, but I read somewhere it did over 500k in Europe or something.

- Will EO2 have those fish from the Amazon that swim up your peehole?

gamingeek

Mr. Pointy said:
Two questions:

- Has anyone found out how well Endless Ocean 1 sold overall? I know it didn't do great in Japan, but I read somewhere it did over 500k in Europe or something.

I know ******** isn't considered reliable but it has the game at close to a million sold.

It must have done well enough considering the impending sequel. I hope more people get it and that more review sites recognise it for what it is. There was this strange disconnect with some sites that generally began reviews with "There's nothing to shoot, nothing to beat, this is not a game" blah blah blah.

Top Bottom