• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Folklore/Folksoul Thread - One fantasy can transform a million realities

Aeon712

Is anybody else getting a slight pause in the action with Keats when he transforms or sometimes picks up a new folk? It keeps happening to me and is getting annoying since it's not happening to Sutdawg.

tehbear

jaundicejuice said:
Not too many folks talking about this game anymore. The only reason I haven't is because I have not had much time to play it. Sat down this afternoon and put a bit of a dent into the game, I got to the third world with Ellen and even completed the three quests she had available at the time.

Still loving it, and each new world makes me wish I had an HDTV to play this game on. Folklore's just so fucking gorgeous.

You really should, besides the occasional HDR darkness issue it's a gem to look at. Hell I take my time in the third world cause it's so pleasing. I must of levelled in the 3rd world twice as long as the 2nd.

klee123 said:
Man, I take back what I said earlier. Ellen's folks are way more fun to play as. With keats, most of his folks acts as an extension of his movement, whilst Ellen actually summons the entire folk with usually a unique attack.

But yeah, having heaps of fun the game. If I had any grips with the game so far, it's probably the average production values, especially with the voice acting.

Keat's supers makes him much easier to use imo. But yeah, Ellen is much more fun to play when you got a handle on things. Sometimes doing a quest with a dozen folks on screen can be a handful :lol

The production value, yeah I don't get that. Argarest Senki was fully voiced and it was all low res sprites and stills.

tehbear

Aeon712 said:
Is anybody else getting a slight pause in the action with Keats when he transforms or sometimes picks up a new folk? It keeps happening to me and is getting annoying since it's not happening to Sutdawg.

Yeah I get a pause too. I also get a slight pause after assigning new folks. HD install for the lose? I dunno.

Kweh

+1 purchase here aswell, and i bumped the wrong topic last night. Oops.

Can you revisit the realms once you leave them? I'm only in the first realm so to speak, with Ellen, but i'm coming up to the boss, and haven't captured all the possible Folk Id's .

klee123

Kweh said:
+1 purchase here aswell, and i bumped the wrong topic last night. Oops.

Can you revisit the realms once you leave them? I'm only in the first realm so to speak, with Ellen, but i'm coming up to the boss, and haven't captured all the possible Folk Id's .

Yes you can.

SaitoH

Aeon712 said:

The game has to load the Folk, so everytime you change them , it'll pause for a sec. It's quicker when installed, but still there.

Nolan.

Ok so decided to start the game after having it for a while and just wanted to know this.
Why did Suzette mention saheim (is it? can't remember how to spell it) which I thought was something the dead did and not known about in the human world. Yet she doesn't seem to know about meeting with the dead etc or did I miss something.?

tehbear

Nolan. said:
Ok so decided to start the game after having it for a while and just wanted to know this.
Why did Suzette mention saheim (is it? can't remember how to spell it) which I thought was something the dead did and not known about in the human world. Yet she doesn't seem to know about meeting with the dead etc or did I miss something.?

People do know about it. They'll mention it throughout the story later. You'll also see what Suzette does at night.

hitmon

I just played through both prologues and must say I am enjoying it so far. The gameplay is fun and I am loving the voice acting.

El-Suave

I bought it, too and am enjoying it very much. I'll be done with the Warcadia world with both characters tonight.
Too bad the game probably won't sell at all though. With Ratchet coming out and Uncharted on the horizon it's going to get buried.
It wouldn't have boosted sales too much, but I don't get why they couldn't have their game fully voiced, especially considering the voice acting they do have is decent. I bet that's what's turning the average gamer off when it comes to first impressions.

Nolan.

tehbear said:
People do know about it. They'll mention it throughout the story later. You'll also see what Suzette does at night.

:O I love this game! honestly any game that has murder mystery/disappearing, a lighthouse and wandering around at night has my attention this is my favourite ps3 game so far.

Dante

I love this game :)

On Chapter 7 now, I do beleive I'm almost done, as I've been alternating back and forth between Keats and Ellen, although I do hope after you beat it you can go back and pick up sould you may have missed.

Nolan.

Dante said:
I love this game :)

On Chapter 7 now, I do beleive I'm almost done, as I've been alternating back and forth between Keats and Ellen, although I do hope after you beat it you can go back and pick up sould you may have missed.

Some of the souls make me laugh and i'm only early in like that caith sid (something like that) I tried catching them so many times with all these strategies planned out. Then all I had to do was sneak up behind. Also I have been trying to release karma for some souls and some just are not releasing even when I reach conditions. And they all seem to surround defeating souls for example I defeated 3 impet exactly with henky and not even one showed up in his defeated list. With the boobrie it keeps saying 1/10 defeated same thing with bugaboo and some other soul that looks like a lion with tentacles. Does anyone else have this problem with some of their souls, or am I doing something wrong.?

this game sucks. i played it upto chapter 2 for ellen and did not like it at all. it was extremely dull. It felt like i was watching the battles rather than participating in them. It also didnt have achievements or rumble but thats understandable i suppose.
anyway i just didnt dig the whole surreal tone of the game. its awkward to play when theres games like halo 3, mario galaxy or eternal sonata. At least you can relate to them.

the loading was bad too, gfx were a mix of good and bad and the weird transitions when you talk to peopel didnt look so good for a next gen game. the story was dull because it doesnt make much sense. People have a netherworld in this village yet noone has heard of it? no reporters?

nofi

Gizmo_Monkey said:
It also didnt have achievements or rumble but thats understandable i suppose.

What a bizarre thing to say. How would achievements make the game any better?

Edit: ah, you're the guy that said Warhawk was boring. I see.

Nolan.

Iv'e also noticed that the demo I played whilst it had things that were in the game didn't follow the storyline which I thought was rather clever more demo's should do that.

^__^ Finally, today i have received Folklore by mail!!! i was tired of waiting. Now i have to wait 6 hours to go back home from my office, can't wait for playing this!!:D

Oneself

Gizmo_Monkey said:
this game sucks. i played it upto chapter 2 for ellen and did not like it at all. it was extremely dull. It felt like i was watching the battles rather than participating in them. It also didnt have achievements or rumble but thats understandable i suppose.
anyway i just didnt dig the whole surreal tone of the game. its awkward to play when theres games like halo 3, mario galaxy or eternal sonata. At least you can relate to them.

the loading was bad too, gfx were a mix of good and bad and the weird transitions when you talk to peopel didnt look so good for a next gen game. the story was dull because it doesnt make much sense. People have a netherworld in this village yet noone has heard of it? no reporters?

:lol WTF DUDE! Worst troll ever. Get out of here man.

klee123

Gizmo_Monkey said:

WTF?

Oni Jazar

Oneself said:
:lol WTF DUDE! Worst troll ever. Get out of here man.

The dude is not a dude and I can totally relate to a fat italian plumber wandering around small planets wearing a bee suit. ;)

I just got Folklore through gamefly and only got past Keats' prologue. I think I'm definitely going to dig this game. I like the laid back style so far.

I dunno my taste in gaming has changed...like 5 years ago i woulda lapped this up but i prefer more instant gratification games now. The slow paced nature just doesnt do it for me anymore unless the game excels in every other aspect. I like game you can jump straight into and have a good time with combos and rare equipment. Like Valkyrie Profile 2. Thats like the benchmark game to compare any rpg's too nowadays.
But anyway yeah the game just feels like a relic that could have come out last gen with little difference. It hasnt moved with the times very well.

tanod

when is my burrito
Nolan. said:
Some of the souls make me laugh and i'm only early in like that caith sid (something like that) I tried catching them so many times with all these strategies planned out. Then all I had to do was sneak up behind. Also I have been trying to release karma for some souls and some just are not releasing even when I reach conditions. And they all seem to surround defeating souls for example I defeated 3 impet exactly with henky and not even one showed up in his defeated list. With the boobrie it keeps saying 1/10 defeated same thing with bugaboo and some other soul that looks like a lion with tentacles. Does anyone else have this problem with some of their souls, or am I doing something wrong.?

Absorbing the souls /= defeating enemies

You actually have to kill folks (deliver the final blow) with the specific folk you're trying to upgrade. I usuially whittle down there health with Poulke and then use the upgrade folk as a finisher.

I just beat the game yesterday, the final boss design was amazing. Overall I had a great time with this game although it did start to taper off a bit towards the end. The story was also a little confusing thanks to the comic book storytelling but it was still good. One thing I want to know is
was Keats the faery Ellen summoned and not Livane or was he something else entirely different? If so then why was he there in the first place?

Aeon712

I beat chapter 2 last night with Ellen and had a blast. The Folks there were awesome and the electric type folk became my favorite.

tanod

when is my burrito
I just started Chapter 2 with Ellen and am up to the end of Chapter 1 with Keats. Damn, this game's story just keeps getting deeper and deeper. Didn't expect this at all. :D

This could end up being my sleeper of the year. I think that from now on though, I'm going to play the rest of the game all the way through with Ellen and then go back and play Keats. The back and forth is confusing me with trying to keep the different powers and upgrade levels straight.

Wish the levels were a little different between the two as well. Still loving it.

Nolan.

tanod said:
I just started Chapter 2 with Ellen and am up to the end of Chapter 1 with Keats. Damn, this game's story just keeps getting deeper and deeper. Didn't expect this at all. :D

This could end up being my sleeper of the year. I think that from now on though, I'm going to play the rest of the game all the way through with Ellen and then go back and play Keats. The back and forth is confusing me with trying to keep the different powers and upgrade levels straight.

Wish the levels were a little different between the two as well. Still loving it.

I'm just about to start chapter 2 with keits and it does confuse me more than help toggling between the two. The story so far though has me gripped I like the whole unravelling mystery. By the way thanks I realised you needed to actually kill them I think I got carried away with the absorbing that I forgot thats not killing them.

How do you capture a bug-a-boo on the fairy realm?
I keep killing it when I fight it. No Id pops out.
And how do you capture the little horse creatures in the fairy realm that shoot pixie dust and dizzy you, the run away at the speed of light so you cant fight it? (Playing as Ellen)

tehbear

Projenitor said:
How do you capture a bug-a-boo on the fairy realm?
I keep killing it when I fight it. No Id pops out.
And how do you capture the little horse creatures in the fairy realm that shoot pixie dust and dizzy you, the run away at the speed of light so you cant fight it? (Playing as Ellen)

You have to use Cait Sidhe (the other thing you are trying to catch) from the Fairy Realm to capture Bug-a-boo. For Cait Sidhe Just run behind it and spam attacks, it doesn't have much hps.

tehbear

tanod said:

That would have been nice. At least the folks are a bit different. Hell in Odin's Sphere you replay levels 5 times through >_<

Dante

Gizmo_Monkey said:

:lol

Nolan. said:
they all seem to surround defeating souls for example I defeated 3 impet exactly with henky and not even one showed up in his defeated list. With the boobrie it keeps saying 1/10 defeated same thing with bugaboo and some other soul that looks like a lion with tentacles. Does anyone else have this problem with some of their souls, or am I doing something wrong.?
You're doing something wrong... As I did before. The condition to fulfill here is to beat the folk, you have to "kill" it without sucking its soul up. Keep smashing them even after their soul is released until they fall, the folk you'll use for the last hit will score the kill.

tehbear said:
You have to use Cait Sidhe (the other thing you are trying to catch) from the Fairy Realm to capture Bug-a-boo. For Cait Sidhe Just run behind it and spam attacks, it doesn't have much hps.

Thanks, finally got the Cait Sidhe because of a glitch..... where it was trying to run away but got caught running in place on a rock.

Nolan.

Is there much point in doing any quests just asking because I feel like just going along with the story for now but I want the cloak in one of them though.

tanod

when is my burrito
Havoc said:
Just beat it, the story is nice.

My play through is on hold as I'm working on Ratchet right now. Hope to get back to it by next weekend but I've really enjoyed Folklore from what I've played so far.

Estival

Systems_id said:
I just beat the game yesterday, the final boss design was amazing. Overall I had a great time with this game although it did start to taper off a bit towards the end. The story was also a little confusing thanks to the comic book storytelling but it was still good. One thing I want to know is
was Keats the faery Ellen summoned and not Livane or was he something else entirely different? If so then why was he there in the first place?

I think the popular theory about the ending is
that Keats was a halflife, created much like Scarecrow or Belgae, with the purpose of being Ellen's companion. I don't think he was created until around the time he got the phone call, because Ellen didn't need him until then. Livane was probably the faery she summoned, putting into motion a plan for a new messenger.

I'm up to Chapter 4 with Ellen and working my way through Chapter 2 with Keats. I want to beat Folklore before I dive into Ratchet & Clank and not just set it asidelike I ended up doing with Heavenly Sword and Phantom Hourglass when a new shiny came along.

Nolan.

Ok so i'm up to chapter 5 now and i'm really liking the story :O actually so much so that I just want to cut out keats and continue playing as Ellen. Though i'm worried I might miss some surprising moments as keats... anyway i'm having a blast with this game the picture book threw me a bit at the endless corridor though I couldn't tell what the first folk was to beat the boss until I went through the list.

Aeon712

Just beat Chapter 3 with Ellen, the ending seemed kinda anticlimatic but gave what seems like some important information. Gonna try and play it tomorrow with Keats before work.

I chose saving the Herve's life over going into the place with the treasure cause it seemed like what Ellen would do. Did I make the right pick?

WYWY

Aeon712 said:
I chose saving the Herve's life over going into the place with the treasure cause it seemed like what Ellen would do. Did I make the right pick?
Doesn't matter since Keats will pick the other path. However Ellen needs to return for the costume - if you feel like getting it. Offers high resistance to water attacks.

Aeon712

WYWY said:
Doesn't matter since Keats will pick the other path. However Ellen needs to return for the costume - if you feel like getting it. Offers high resistance to water attacks.
Crap thought it was something like that, when I tried going there after beating the Folklore the path was blocked off. Guess I can't go there till I start chapter 4 with her.

Finally sat down with this title for a couple days after watching the wife burn through most of it. Man, what an extremely satisfying game. Simple enough gameplay with some really awesome art direction. I'm very surprised at how well this was all put together considering this isn't one of their AAAAAA titles (might as well should be though). The karma unlocking fulfills the completionist in me and the difficulty is amped just right. The third boss was fucking annoying though. Oh yeah, the music continues to play in my head over and over again. I want the OST.

This game deserves sales x 1000, period.

Aeon712 said:
Crap thought it was something like that, when I tried going there after beating the Folklore the path was blocked off. Guess I can't go there till I start chapter 4 with her.

You can go back right after you beat the Folklore before you return to Doolin. In fact, just use the portal to go straight to the Forgotten Palace.

Finaika

I just played this just now and, wow, it was awesome. The localization could be better though, sometimes the English phrases seems a bit weird, not too serious though. I'm playing the Asian version which has English text, is the US version's localization the same?

Top Bottom