• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

GameGamer

I did a search of this thread for "inside buildings" but nothing came up.

So did GTA4 finally get me freedom to roam inside the buildings?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Where do people get that Bitter Sweet Symphony is actually in the game? It was just used in that homemade youtube vid of the commercial, nowhere else

There appears to be no health indicator (unless the ring around the map is your health) and I don't see any cash indicator. Am I missing something?

GameGamer said:
I did a search of this thread for "inside buildings" but nothing came up.

So did GTA4 finally get me freedom to roam inside the buildings?

From OP said:
- Many interiors are fully decorated and have been given a much bigger emphasis and importance on game

Bulla564

Banned
Since yesterday, I'm officially in the hype train. I'm not usually a MP player, but I am actually considering starting with the MP.

This is the worst time for me too. Rehabbing a house, busy at work, in the middle of a good MLB08 The Show season, picking up GT5P today, finally getting into Rock Band, and MGO Beta coming soon. Moreover, all will be set aside by June 12th.

Doc Evils

OPM UK has given the game 10/10 and:

The second review of Grand Theft Auto IV has been published in the UK's Official PlayStation Magazine, which is reaching subscribers today. Importantly, the magazine confirms that the game is compatible with the new Dual Shock 3 controller.

"I'm actually jealous of everyone about to experience it for the first time. The greatest testament to GTA IV's briliance is that I haven't been able to stop thinking about it since putting the pad down."

Also included was a list of EVERY radio station in the game:
We Know The Truth (Talk)
Radio Broker (Alternative Rock, eg LCD Soundsystem)
San Juan Sounds (Latin)
Integrity 2.0 (Talk featuring Lazlow)
Tuff Going Radio (Reggae, eg Bob Marley)
Liberty City Hardcore (Punk/Hardcore)
Electro Choc (Dance)
Liberty City Rock Radio 97.8 (Classic Rock, eg R.E.M.)
Massive B Soundsystem 96.9 (Dance hall)
International Funk IF99 (Funk, eg War)
Public Liberty Radio (Phone in speech)
The Classics 104.1 (Old school Hip hop)
The Beat 102.7 (Contemporary Hip-Hop)
Jazz Nation Radio 108.5 (Jazz, eg Miles Davis)
K108 The Studio (Disco)
Fusion FM (Soul, eg Roy Ayers)
Vladivostok FM (Eastern European)
The Journey (Ambient/Chillout, eg Jean Michelle Jarre)

http://www.gtagaming.com/news/comments.php?i=1290

\o/

Darunia said:
Where do people get that Bitter Sweet Symphony is actually in the game? It was just used in that homemade youtube vid of the commercial, nowhere else

It's just that the trailer was so good, that guy that made it must be so cool

I never said I thought Bittersweet Symphony was in the game. Just that I hope it is and that it fits that trailer's vibe. Reading comprehension FTL.

Felix Lighter said:
There appears to be no health indicator (unless the ring around the map is your health) and I don't see any cash indicator. Am I missing something?
Health and armor is built into the outline on either side of the compass, I believe.

Wollan

Someone know specifically if we can change the 'aim' button? Right now half-press is free aim and full press is lock-on.
Lock-on can scramb imo.

DCX

DCX
I am stoked for this game! I loved II and didn't get to play Vice City or San Andreas much but i'm ready to return to GTA especially after loving Saint's Row.

DCX

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Crushed said:
I keep reading this thread as, "The Official Grand Theft Auto IV Thread: The World Ends With You."
You're back Crushed!

Doc Evils

more stuff from the link I posted:

Here is the new information from the review :

Leave Niko standing there and he'll scratch his balls

Groups include the Irish hoodlums, the depressed ex-cons and a paranoid lesbian coke dealer

One car is called the Corquette.

Two of the girlfriends are called Carmen and Katie.

While dating Press Circle to try your luck or X to say goodnight.

You can hijack a van transporter carrying a convict.

Press L1 to order order a dog about.

Hidden Packages and Stunt Jumps are back

Your Mobile phone starts out with a standard pay as you go model but you can upgrade to fancier models with more features.

The vibrate function in the PS3 version can be felt when the mobile phone rings

You have Frank McReary and Patrick "Packie" McReary and now there is Gerry McReary he is an ex IRA member.

You can call 911 on your mobile phone to get the police to check the crime database

One of the missions is called "Three Leaf Clover"

The phone also lets you jump back into failed missions just by clicking 'Yes'

After killing one of Niko's bosses you can ring his number and you hear an answer machine message from his grieving wife.

You can unlock your friends uniques perks by finding out what they like to eat and drink

A new location is called the Pink Triangle Gentlemen's Club

There is a shootout at the Libertonian Museum

You can blind fire with any weapon except the Sniper Rifle

When you call a taxi using L1, Niko will literally whistle

On the Radio Lazlow says "a penis like a tube of tennis balls".

There is an advert for a website called babiesovernight.com

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
3 talk stations is alot. Isn't that more than any of the other ones have had?

Now I'm upset I didn't call in a rant to the talk station. Wonder if you could see Radio Stations DLC down the line, like extending the radio content.

Madman

You'll likely notice the same graphical "quirks" that the series has dealt with since the jump to 3D. The same filmlike, grainy framerate exists and usually holds steady, but it can momentarily dip when things get frantic. There's some long-distance graphical fade-in as well as some street-level hazards that appear only after you hit them. Traffic will be nonexistent one second, then three cars deep when you rotate the camera back around, and then completely disappear when your wanted level gets to two or three stars (which is oh-so-fun when you desperately need a getaway vehicle).
That is not what I wanted to read. I was really hoping that the gaping holes that were in 3, VC, and SA were gone. Now I am realizing that this will suffer from the same issues of all of the 3D GTAs, right down to the barely-holding-it's-head-above-water framerate. I suspected it, but this all but confirms it. I'm still getting this day 1 and am still hyped, but reading that can't help but take my hype down a few notches at least regarding the game's graphics, which weren't looking too hot in the first place.

Lonestar said:
3 talk stations is alot. Isn't that more than any of the other ones have had?

Now I'm upset I didn't call in a rant to the talk station. Wonder if you could see Radio Stations DLC down the line, like extending the radio content.
i'm presuming WKTT is a spoof of New England's WTKK. i hope so :) i listen to WTKK all the time, though i rarely agree with anything the DJs say... it's certainly very ripe for lampooning.

Wollan

I was to suggest a mod to delete the second post (not from Himuro) as it felt like a leech stuck on me during my wedding or something.
Glad to see it has already been taken care of. This thread is cleansed.

Geoff9920

Madman said:
That is not what I wanted to read. I was really hoping that the gaping holes that were in 3, VC, and SA were gone. Now I am realizing that this will suffer from the same issues of all of the 3D GTAs, right down to the barely-holding-it's-head-above-water framerate. I suspected it, but this all but confirms it. I'm still getting this day 1 and am still hyped, but reading that can't help but take my hype down a few notches at least regarding the game's graphics, which weren't looking too hot in the first place.
Yeah, it's disappointing, but I'm glad we found out now than closer to release.

Firewire

Banned
Madman said:

Yeah that doesn't sound to good. Hope the MP runs along fine though!

Madman said:

Skip commented on this in another thread:

skip said:
I don't know how to say it exactly, and I definitely don't want to get involved with Team Framerate -- how I say it in my mind is "looks and feels like GTA, just a lot better looking." I wish gameplay vids were available, because that would just show what I mean.

maybe the more important question is "was I ever bothered by the framerate?", and the answer to that is "nope."

Then newsguy followed up with: Did it bother you in previous iterations?

And Skip answered:

skip said:
good follow-up. it did, at times in VC and SA -- so I guess that means that the overall graphical upgrade helps make it less of a problem. (to me.)

*hides from frameraters*

So I'm not worried at all.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I can't wait to see the tracklist for the alt rock station... LCD soundsystem has been confirmed already right?

dave is ok said:
I heard
Opie and Anthony
confirm they are on the radio as DJ's in the game.

I heard that as well, they also mentioned
Patrice O'neal and Jim Norton recorded dialogue, and that they are having Lazlow on this Friday

They also mentioned they are getting their copies of the game Friday.

Madman

Felix Lighter said:
Skip commented on this in another thread:

Then newsguy followed up with: Did it bother you in previous iterations?

And Skip answered:

So I'm not worried at all.
Honestly, I think a lot of those previewing the game have been caught up in the hype. That seems like a common thing for game journalists, where they talk about some cool features (that the developer focused on I would guess) and tend to not see the elephant, or elephants, in the room. Another example of this effect would be Far Cry 2. While everyone talks endlessly about the fire, plants, graphics, ect., virtually no one talks about the fact that you will be fighting mutants and that, according to one preview, while you are infected you will occasionally drop to the floor vomiting (or something along those lines). Both of those things sound like they are going to be a huge drag on the game, but it is almost never discussed.

I hope that those previewing are aren't caught up in the hype, but it most certaintly seems like they are.

chubigans said:
Hmmm...I don't see a classical orchestra/opera station on there. :(

Replaced with a jazz station.

Starting now I'm trying to avoid spoilers, and when the inevitable gameplay vids surface I'm gonna try my damndest to resist.

notjackbauer said:
Replaced with a jazz station.
:( :( :(

Running people over in my minivan in 3 while listening to Bach is one of my great video game memories.

Miles Davis will have to do, but he's just too damn cool.

Awesome, I just got the go-ahead for two days off on the 29th and 30th.

The GAF Cops 'n Crooks games are going to be E.P.I.C.

Dibs on the motorcycle.

Vaxadrin

Banned
Himuro, I don't know if you want to include this in the OP or not, but...

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/865/865585p1.html

...is an episode of the Three Red Lights podcast, where they spend literally the entire episode talking about GTA4's multiplayer modes they had played the week prior. It really sheds alot of light on them, and, of course, is told in an entertaining manner. :)

Zaangamer

Banned
The worst thing for the next two weeks for me will be not knowing wether to get the PS3 version or Xbox.

Part of me really needs this game to be on PS, because that's how I've always played GTA(controls of the Trilogy on original Xbox were too loose for my taste. And we all have certain systems we prefer certain gametypes on) but the fact that this one is being built from the ground up, with 360 as lead platform is causing me to lean more and more towards the 360 version.

I don't really care much for DLC, because I rarely ever manage to finish games these days anyway, so why add more content ? So that isn't a deciding factor to me.

I think the only thing that could sway me towards the PS3 version right now is 7.1 LPCM, but I have a feeling that's a no-no.

Jim

dave is ok said:
I heard
Opie and Anthony
confirm they are on the radio as DJ's in the game.

Wouldn't be a modern GTA w/o the boys. Another reason I can't wait. They do far more than DJ stuff though, especially A.

Tr4nce

I hate to nag, especially because Himuro has done a great job in making this thread, but I still think that the subtitle 'The World is Yours' is a bit too much Scarface related. Subtitle should be something like 'Drunk Driving' or something like that.

Bossman

Zaangamer said:
The worst thing for the next two weeks for me will be not knowing wether to get the PS3 version or Xbox.

Part of me really needs this game to be on PS, because that's how I've always played GTA(controls of the Trilogy on original Xbox were too loose for my taste. And we all have certain systems we prefer certain gametypes on) but the fact that this one is being built from the ground up, with 360 as lead platform is causing me to lean more and more towards the 360 version.

I don't really care much for DLC, because I rarely ever manage to finish games these days anyway, so why add more content ? So that isn't a deciding factor to me.

I think the only thing that could sway me towards the PS3 version right now is 7.1 LPCM, but I have a feeling that's a no-no.

You bought the previous GTAs and you will most likely buy GTA 5, so why don't you want the DLC? It's basically a mini-sequel that will keep you busy until the next GTA game.

Zaangamer

Banned
Bossman said:
You bought the previous GTAs and you will most likely buy GTA 5, so why don't you want the DLC? It's basically a mini-sequel that will keep you busy until the next GTA game.

Because I'm never going to finish GTA IV even without the extra content. I have so many games going and new ones added at least weekly over different consoles. I never bother with Expansion packs or stuff like that because I'm having a hard enough time just getting through the main game of most games I want to play.

Hootie

Awesome thread is awesome.

The wait is agonizingly bad right now...

Also, do we know the complete soundtracks for every radio station yet?

h3ro

I wonder if this thread will be able to beat out the Halo 3 thread in terms of length, considering its basically double the audience now...

Great OP Himuro... less than two weeks now!!

Top Bottom