• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock Thread of Superfluous Subtitles

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Six days from release and no official thread? Also, my first official thread. Sorry if it sucks.
35jjjeq.jpg

Developed by: Neversoft

Publisher: Activision/Red Octane, Aspyr (PC and Mac only)

Platforms: Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, PS2, PC, and Mac

Official Site: www.guitarherogame.com
http://www.aspyr.com/product/info/85 (PC and Mac version only.)

Community Site (Score tracking and such): http://guitarhero.com/

Release Dates:

North America
- October 28th, 2007 (Console Versions), November 13th, 2007 (PC and Mac])

Australia
– November 7th, 2007

Europe – November 23rd, 2007

NOTE: US PS3 version is region free if you're playing in high def. US 360 version region free.

Price:
Xbox 360 and PS3 Bundles: US$99.99, CDN$109.99, AUS$169.95, £69.99
PS2 and Wii Bundles: US and CDN$89.99, AUS$159.95, £59.98
PC/Mac Bundle: US$79.99, CDN$89.99, £49.99
PS2 (Game Only): US$49.99, CDN$59.99, AUS$69.95, £39.99
Xbox 360 (Game Only): US$59.99, CDN$64.99, AUS$89.95, £49.99

PC/Mac Requirements:

MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:

* Operating System: Windows XP SP2, Windows Vista
* CPU Processor: Intel Pentium D (Dual Core) 2.8GHZ or AMD Athlon 64 3500+
* Memory: XP - 1 GB RAM, Vista – 2GB RAM
* Hard Disk Space: 5.1 GB + 1GB Swap File
* Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card
* Video Card: 3D Hardware Accelerator Card Required – 100% DirectX 9.0c compatible 128 MB Video Memory
* Video Card (ATI): Radeon X800
* Video Card (Nvidia): Geforce 7600
* Media Required: 4X DVD-ROM drive
* Windows XP/Vista compatible mouse and keyboard with latest drivers
* Guitar Hero 3 Official PC Guitar Controller

This product does not support Windows 98/ME/2000/NT/XP x64/Vista x64.

MULTIPLAYER REQUIREMENTS:

* Internet(TCP/IP) play supported
* Internet play requires a broadband connection

RECOMMENDED SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:

* Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHZ or AMD Athlon Dual Core 4400+
* 256 MB 3D Hardware Accelerator Card
* Video Card (ATI): Radeon HD 2600
* Video Card (Nvidia): Geforce 8800 GT
* 2 GB RAM

Notice: Some Mobile and Desktop 3D accelerator cards with the chipset listed here may not be compatible with the 3D acceleration features utilized by Guitar Hero 3. Please refer to your hardware manufacturer for 100% DirectX compatibility.

Notice: This game contains technology intended to prevent copying that may conflict with some disk and virtual disk drives.

SUPPORTED DESKTOP CHIPSETS:

ATI RADEON X800
ATI RADEON X1600
ATI RADEON X1800
ATI RADEON X1900
ATI RADEON X1950
ATI RADEON HD 2400
ATI RADEON HD 2600
NVIDIA GEFORCE 7600
NVIDIA GEFORCE 7800
NVIDIA GEFORCE 7900
NVIDIA GEFORCE 8400
NVIDIA GEFORCE 8500
NVIDIA GEFORCE 8800

Notice: The Nvidia Geforce 8400 and 8500 cards have known issues on Vista machines with AMD CPUs.

SUPPORTED MOBILE CHIPSETS:

NVIDIA GEFORCE GO 7600 (XP Only)
NVIDIA GEFORCE GO 7800
NVIDIA GEFORCE GO 7900
NVIDIA GEFORCE GO 8400
NVIDIA GEFORCE GO 8600
NVIDIA GEFORCE GO 8700

Guitars:
The EB Games FAQ said:

NOTE: "The new PS3 Les Paul wireless controller will NOT work at all with any of the Playstation2 Guitar Hero titles when played on the PS3."

IGN says: The guitars for Guitar Hero III DO work with Rock Band.

PS3 USB Dongle:
o69pxk.jpg

Box Art:
11t4hma.jpg

2nl7ewi.jpg

Bundles:
PS3 Game and Guitar Bundle:

Xbox 360 Game and Guitar Bundle:

Wii Game and Guitar Bundle:

PS2 Game and Guitar Bundle:

PC Game and Guitar Bundle:

Track List:

Bold denotes master tracks.

Co-op encores can, apparently, only be unlocked in co-op career, which is not online or in single player. Boss battles can only be done in career, as well.

1. Starting Out Small
"Slow Ride" – Foghat
"Talk Dirty to Me" – Poison
"Hit Me with Your Best Shot" – Pat Benatar
"Story of My Life" – Social Distortion
"Rock and Roll All Nite" – Kiss (Encore)
"Sabotage" – Beastie Boys (Co-op Encore)

2. Your First Real Gig
"Mississippi Queen" – Mountain
"School's Out" – Alice Cooper
"Sunshine of Your Love" – Cream
"Barracuda" – Heart
Guitar Battle vs. Tom Morello
"Bulls on Parade" – Rage Against the Machine (Encore)
"Reptilia" – The Strokes (Co-op Encore)

3. Making The Video
"When You Were Young" – The Killers
"Miss Murder" – AFI

"The Seeker" – The Who
"Lay Down" – Priestess
"Paint It, Black" – The Rolling Stones (Encore)
"Suck My Kiss" – Red Hot Chili Peppers(Co-op Encore)

4. European Invasion
"Paranoid" – Black Sabbath
"Anarchy in the U.K." – Sex Pistols
"Kool Thing" – Sonic Youth
"My Name Is Jonas" – Weezer
"Even Flow" – Pearl Jam(Encore)

"Cities on Flame with Rock and Roll" – Blue Öyster Cult (Co-op Encore)

5. Bighouse Blues
"Holiday in Cambodia" – Dead Kennedys
"Rock You Like a Hurricane" – Scorpions
"Same Old Song and Dance" – Aerosmith

"La Grange" – ZZ Top
Guitar Battle vs. Slash
"Welcome to the Jungle" – Guns N' Roses (Encore)
"Helicopter" – Bloc Party(Co-op Encore)

6. The Hottest Band On Earth

"Black Magic Woman" – Santana
"Cherub Rock" – The Smashing Pumpkins

"Black Sunshine" – White Zombie
"The Metal" – Tenacious D
"Pride and Joy" – Stevie Ray Vaughan[(Encore)
"Monsters" – Matchbook Romance (Co-op Encore)

7. Live In Japan

"Before I Forget" – Slipknot
"Stricken" – Disturbed
"3's & 7's" – Queens of the Stone Age
"Knights of Cydonia" – Muse
"Cult of Personality" – Living Colour (Encore)

8. Battle For Your Soul
"Raining Blood" – Slayer
"Cliffs of Dover" – Eric Johnson
"The Number of the Beast" – Iron Maiden
"One" – Metallica

Guitar Battle vs. Lou
"The Devil Went Down to Georgia" – Charlie Daniels Band (Steve Ouimette rendition) (Encore)

Bonus Tracks
"Avalancha" – Héroes del Silencio
"Can't Be Saved" – Senses Fail
"Closer" – Lacuna Coil
"Don't Hold Back" – The Sleeping
"Down n' Dirty" – LA Slum Lords
"F.C.P.R.E.M.I.X." – The Fall of Troy
"Generation Rock" – Revolverheld
"Go That Far" - Bret Michaels Band
"Hier Kommt Alex" – Die Toten Hosen
"I'm in the Band" – The Hellacopters
"Impulse" – An Endless Sporadic
"In Love" – Scouts of St. Sebastian
"In the Belly of a Shark" – Gallows
"Mauvais Garçon" – Naast
"Metal Heavy Lady" – Lions
"Minus Celsius" – Backyard Babies
"My Curse" – Killswitch Engage
"Nothing for Me Here" – Dope
"Prayer of the Refugee" – Rise Against
"Radio Song" – Superbus
"Ruby" – Kaiser Chiefs
"She Bangs the Drums" – The Stone Roses
"Take This Life" – In Flames
"The Way It Ends" – Prototype
"Through the Fire and Flames" – DragonForce

Battle Mode:
(Taken from Wikipedia)
The mode puts a twist on the Pro Face-off mode introduced in Guitar Hero II. Two players will face each other, trying to complete a song while successfully playing Star Power sequences to earn attacks that can be used against their opponents. Players will be able to store three attacks at a time and can activate them by tilting their guitars upward. If neither player fails the song, they will face each other in a sudden death segment.

The attacks will include:

* Broken string: One fret button on the opponent's guitar will not work until it is fixed (by rapidly tapping the button).
* Difficulty up: The opponent will play the song on an increased difficulty for a short duration of time (except for expert difficulty).
* Amp overload: The fret board will shake and cause the notes to blink, making the scrolling notes difficult to read.
* Whammy bar: The opponent will have to use the whammy bar before he/she can play notes again.
* Steal power: This will steal your opponent's power-up (this will be lost if used when the opponent has no power-up).
* Double notes: The opponent will have to play any single note as a two-button chord, and any two-button chord as a three-button chord for a short amount of time.
* Lefty flip: The fret board will be mirrored; the green and orange will swap, same with the red and blue.
* Death Drain: This attack is only available for use in the Sudden Death mode, where all Battle Powers are Death Drain. When a player completes a Battle Power phrase, and unleashes it upon his opponent, this will cause a figure resembling a small winged Grim Reaper to appear at the top of their opponent's note highway. It causes a constant negative influence on the rock meter, and every mistake that a player makes only accelerates their rock meter as it inevitably moves into the failing zone. The position of the Grim Reaper on the note highway directly correlates to the position of the rock meter (i.e. full green = at the top, yellow = middle, failing red = at the bottom, thus covering everything). Eventually, the Grim Reaper will block the player's view of the frets and thus the player will fail since their Rock Meter will have been put past the failing red range. Death drain is irreversible.

Wii Specific Stuff:
(Also taken from Wikipedia)
The Wii version of the game has several exclusive features, since a Wii Remote must be inserted into the guitar controller. The game will utilize the Wii Remote's wireless capabilities and accelerometer, but will also make use of the rumble feature and the internal speaker, adding a unique touch to this version's gameplay. The internal speaker on the Wii remote can also be optionally set to emit an effect when wrong notes are hit. While the Wii version will feature online play utilizing game-specific friend codes, downloadable content will not be available initially.

Xbox 360 Version Achievements:
There's 59, or too many to put here. Here's the link to them, though:
http://www.achieve360points.com/game/guitarheroiii/

Videos:
IGN: (The playing isn't great, but the quality is good.)
Even Flow
Rock You Like a Hurricane
Hit Me with Your Best Shot
The Metal

Screen Shots:
2hy7wd4.jpg

30c0gmq.jpg

Finally an official thread! Demo is great and I am so hype for this game. I still need to preorder it but I want to know the cheapest/best site to preorder it from.

after watching all those crappy YouTube videos over the past three days I'd forgotten how clean the game looks.

Only thing I think you need to add is that the PS3 guitar doesn't work with the PS2 games.

Chris R

would be a day one purchase for me on the PS3 except that the guitar wont work with GHI/GHII/GH80s :(

Anyone know if the PS2's new wireless guitar will work with all four games on the PS3(I'm guessing not...)?

bune duggy said:
after watching all those crappy YouTube videos over the past three days I'd forgotten how clean the game looks.

Only thing I think you need to add is that the PS3 guitar doesn't work with the PS2 games.
Wtf? Why would they do that?

bumpkin

striKeVillain! said:
Finally an official thread! Demo is great and I am so hype for this game. I still need to preorder it but I want to know the cheapest/best site to preorder it from.
I so want to try the demo, but I was planning on getting it for Wii, and seeing how good it looks on the 360 would taint my perspective. :(

Chris R

striKeVillain! said:
Wtf? Why would they do that?
Think it has to do with the fact that the PS3's wireless controller doesn't hijack the controller like the Wii version does. It has a dongle that plugs into the USB port which most likely causes the issues. Again I don't know why exactly, but it is a HUGE letdown.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I was waiting for the official thread too...I almost made one haha.

Anywho...I got the wii version reserved from Best Buy.

btw, in case anyone is wondering the co-op encore songs CAN be played in single player quick play mode after you beat them (i remember someone saying otherwise).

Reposted.

GHIII deals that I know of so far:

RedOctane.com: free 2" wide strap, free keychain, free gig bag, free shipping.
Best Buy: Free Sex Pistols guitar faceplate
Circuit City: Free guitar stand
Costco/SAMs/etc: discounted price (duh)

I don't know if they have Wii faceplates at Best Buy or not. 360/PS3 appear to use the same faceplates, but Wii has that giant cutout where you stick the Wiimote so those are not compatible.

The stock strap is 1" wide, so the bonus strap won't cut into your shoulder as much.

Sharp

I'm almost certain that there's no technical reason, so it's probably just Activision's corporate greed. Anyway, can't wait for this game! By the way, if you all have the chance check out the GH3 cover of Devil Went Down to Georgia. It's all kinds of crazy.
beermonkey@tehbias said:
Reposted.

GHIII deals that I know of so far:

RedOctane.com: free 2" wide strap, free keychain, free gig bag, free shipping.
Best Buy: Free Sex Pistols guitar faceplate
Circuit City: Free guitar stand
Costco/SAMs/etc: discounted price (duh)

I don't know if they have Wii faceplates at Best Buy or not. 360/PS3 appear to use the same faceplates, but Wii has that giant cutout where you stick the Wiimote so those are not compatible.

The stock strap is 1" wide, so the bonus strap won't cut into your shoulder as much.
Dude, " means inches. I think you mean feet (').

Aladuf

Banned
I've got this pre-ordered at Gamestop already... and I've kinda forgotten about it b/c of all of the other games coming out and now that I see the complete set list I'm really back into this game!

Sharp said:
Dude, " means inches. I think you mean feet (').

Dude, you don't know length from width. How the fuck would you have a 2 foot wide guitar strap? Would you cut a big hole in it for your head?

Sharp

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Dude, you don't know length from width. How the fuck would you have a 2 foot wide guitar strap? Would you cut a big hole in it for your head?
Sorry, I was interpreting width differently from the way you intended, which I would probably have called "thickness." My mistake.

PC Guitar is an X-Plorer? Ugh. Never sell 'em separately, but throw them in with the PC one... good going. It'll probly be 360 for me, unless PC is available solo: so I can use my other X-Plorer.

Rodeo Clown

BenjaminBirdie said:
Can you play co-op career online? I'd totally play bass.
No co-op career online. I'm looking into whether or not the co-op encores unlock by beating single player.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Can you play co-op career online? I'd totally play bass.

Career? I know there is co-op but dunno about career. I suck though, I should play bass ;)

So basically you can unlock the co-op encores in online or offline co-op (non-career?) mode, and then they are available in single-player modes.

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Yeah, it can be played online. I suck though, I should play bass ;)

So basically you can unlock the co-op encores in online or offline mode, and then they are available in single-player modes.

Cool.

Bass battle.

:D

Rodeo Clown said:
Co-op encores apparently cannot be unlocked online or in single player. All aboard the fail boat.

Wow, that sucks. I knew there were encores that had to be unlocked in co-op but not that it had to be local co-op. That is beyond absurd. They need to patch that shit. I do have some friends in the area who play GH (even worse than me) but getting them over and making them play the whole game just to give me all the songs is going to be a real feat.

123rl

Is it region-free? Is it region-free? Is it region-free? Is it region-free? Is it region-free? Is it region-free? Is it region-free? Is it region-free? Is it region-free? Is it region-free? etc etc

There's a four week delay for Europe and it's bullshit. I need to know if it's region-free and I'll get a US copy immediately. Waiting a month will kill the hype for me and I'd probably skip it altogether

Cahill

Banned
beermonkey@tehbias said:
Career? I know there is co-op but dunno about career. I suck though, I should play bass ;)

So basically you can unlock the co-op encores in online or offline co-op (non-career?) mode, and then they are available in single-player modes.

There's an achievement for "Completing co-op career"... I'd gather it includes on-line *shrugs*. I'll geek with you guys as well.

Rodeo Clown said:
Noted, not that I'd want to do those in quick play anyway.
final song spoilers:
The last song, Devil Went Down To Georgia, it's pretty much broken up in to the boss battle, and some of the rest of the song. When you defeat Lou, it goes to loading, "now finish him!", and you do the last part of the song, regardless of when you beat Lou. So, there's no way to play that and presumably the other two songs in their entirety, unless people have been wrong so far. I hope so, as that's shite design.
Edit: http://youtube.com/watch?v=_znMI5hRxKY
THIS IS ALL SECOND HAND INFO THOUGH, check Score Hero for the latest info.

jonezer4

Isn't the NA release date 10/28? I about shit myself when I read 10/30 on here because I won't be within 100 miles of the place I reserved it from on 10/30.

Rodeo Clown

123rl said:
Is it region-free? Is it region-free? Is it region-free? Is it region-free? Is it region-free? Is it region-free? Is it region-free? Is it region-free? Is it region-free? Is it region-free? etc etc

There's a four week delay for Europe and it's bullshit. I need to know if it's region-free and I'll get a US copy immediately. Waiting a month will kill the hype for me and I'd probably skip it altogether
PS3 version is region free if you're playing in high def. Play-Asia says 360 version is region free. I'll note it in the OP.

Holy shit I did not know Lacuna Coil is on here, and "closer" at that. Fuck man, I really am considering picking this up. That Flyleaf song has me sold too, but it's only available through the code on the soundtrack, right? I hope it will be DLC later.

I think, though, that I'll wait till after GH3 and RB come out, so that I can see people's impressions of both. BTW, when does Rock Band come out?

Rodeo Clown said:
Co-op encores apparently cannot be unlocked online or in single player. All aboard the fail boat.

So, :lol , basically, holy shit, those songs cost an extra $30.

At least Rock Band comes with the goddamned equipment and it's my own damn fault that I have no friends (and, as far as I know, there's no songslocked in World Tour mode), but a game a like this that a large segment of the populace will ONLY have one guitar for is just ridiculous.

These games are starting to feel like a leper just because I don't know any people in real life who are into gaming and/or my schedule procludes me playing games at any reasonable social hour.

I don't mind a focus on local co-op, but keeping an entire portion of the gameplay behind its wall of accesibility really sucks, whether its this OR Rock Band.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Good job with the official thread, Rodeo Clown. Should probably update with guitar compatibility across the different versions once we have facts instead of speculation.

BenjaminBirdie said:

At least Rock Band comes with the goddamned equipment and it's my own damn fault that I have no friends (and, as far as I know, there's no songslocked in World Tour mode), but a game a like this that a large segment of the populace will ONLY have one guitar for is just ridiculous.

These games are starting to feel like a leper just because I don't know any people in real life who are into gaming and/or my schedule procludes me playing games at any reasonable social hour.

I don't mind a focus on local co-op, but keeping an entire portion of the gameplay behind its wall of accesibility really sucks, whether its this OR Rock Band.

What do you mean? Have the lady play bass on the controller on easy. 2nd guitar, my ass. :p

YOU CAN ONLY UNLOCK CERTAIN SONGS IN LOCAL CO-OP?!

INCLUDING THE SONG I WAS MOST LOOKING FORWARD TO?!

WHO THE FUCK THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA, AND HOW CAN I ENSURE THEY DIE

Rodeo Clown

BenjaminBirdie said:

I imagine that they'll release a code to unlock the songs shortly after release when the community starts bitching loud enough.

123rl

Rodeo Clown said:
PS3 version is region free if you're playing in high def. Play-Asia says 360 version is region free. I'll note it in the OP.

Thanks. I'll be getting the 360 version as I already have the 360 GH2 guitar (otherwise I'd get the PS3 version)
Where does it say it's region-free? All I can see is

Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock
Activision
Compatible with Xbox360™
For US/Canada systems.

Not yet published or released Not yet published or released
In stock on Oct, 2007. We do not charge your credit card before pre-orders are being shipped.

Thanks for going to the effort of making this thread btw. It's got (pretty much) everything that should be here and the layout is great. Good work, Rodeo :)

LakeEarth

Synthesizer Patel said:
YOU CAN ONLY UNLOCK CERTAIN SONGS IN LOCAL CO-OP?!

INCLUDING THE SONG I WAS MOST LOOKING FORWARD TO?!

WHO THE FUCK THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA, AND HOW CAN I ENSURE THEY DIE
Well every GH has an "all songs unlock" code, but the co-op only decision stupid and annoying I agree.

Top Bottom