• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Halo 3 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
meddow said:
am I allowed to request the help of some halo 3 good players to help get my 48 ob up to 50?

I am willing to pay around 5000 M$ points each (need 2 players) apon completion

Don't listen to them, I'll help you get your 50...I have the credentials...I'm a 3 star general and a former 50 in team slayer and am now a 47 (went in alone too many times)...GT: NYSTOFMIND23

Backflip: I wanna play some MLG customs

Kibbles

Halo Wars official box art. Officially official. Plus more screens and a non-3d view at http://www.dailygamerblog.com/new-halo-wars-screenshots-box-art/390/

Flat version: http://www.dailygamerblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/hwboxart.jpg
hwboxart3d.jpg

GhaleonEB

I'm fine with them going for a different look for the Spartans given the time line of the game, but I prefer the sleeker armor in Bungie's games. The Halo Wars design is kind of chunky and mechanical; the Halo trilogy is more streamlined, and very masculine.

I still like the cover overall - the composition, coloring, etc. Great cover.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
The Crawf said:
You're right. The proportions look all over the place.

They played around with the Elite models as well. They're going for a more stylized look. Putting their own signature on it and all that.

GhaleonEB

urk said:
They played around with the Elite models as well. They're going for a more stylized look. Putting their own signature on it and all that.
I wonder if it has in part to do with the perspective. Exaggerate certain attributes to they are more distinguishable from each other in the not-so-up-close-and-personal perspective of RTS games.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Shishka just cleared up some confusion about the DLC Big Team playlist. Looks like we'll still see Valhalla, Sandtrap (tarp) and Last Resort 8v8 :) (If I'm reading it correctly)

Bungie.net said:
Posted by: Knucks
The Update's description reads: "Focused on DLC content (Requires both Heroic and Legendary Map Packs)"

My translation to that is..."This is still just like Social BTB, except the DLC maps have been added to the mix to eliminate the need for the DLC Objective list".

I could be wrong, but I feel pretty confident that my translation is somewhat accurate.

Shishka said:
This is correct.

GhaleonEB said:
I wonder if it has in part to do with the perspective. Exaggerate certain attributes to they are more distinguishable from each other in the not-so-up-close-and-personal perspective of RTS games.
I think in part, I also think its pretty obvious that the increase in the game's stylization (as urk pointed out) and color palette for, say, vehicles is strategic as well. Since you're hundreds of feet off the ground and you've got dozens of units to keep your eyes on, things like shape and color are a big deal.

I gotta be honest though, I have yet to see anything about Halo Wars and its general, overall visual aesthetic which I haven't liked. The exaggerations on Bungie's visual queues are refreshing and exciting to me; I don't find them overbearing in the least. I'd rather see this type of change from a different studio doing a Bungie project than a standard copy/paste - obviously within reason.

I adore Bungie's visual style, but I'm optimistic that there are other flavors to how we perceive the Halo universe that get introduced along the way. As long as they stay true to the vision and quality of the franchise, I'll likely be happy and content with it.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
GhaleonEB said:

Makes a ton of sense.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Dax01 said:
How often I post? That doesn't make any sense.

Don't worry about it, Dax. You can't please everybody.

Actually, to be honest, the necks for certain helmets in halo 3 seem too long as well sometimes, especially the rogue helmet. Without Hayabusa armor on, it looks ostrichey.

Blueblur1

Metroidvania said:
Don't worry about it, Dax. You can't please everybody.

Actually, to be honest, the necks for certain helmets in halo 3 seem too long as well sometimes, especially the rogue helmet. Without Hayabusa armor on, it looks ostrichey.
Depending on the helmet, some of the necks have a flat ugly gray texture while others seem to have some normal or bump mapping on them.

fin

hwboxart3d.jpg

halo.ce.jpg

I actually perfer the Halo Wars version, are these Mark V? Or are they going for a Mark IV?

The Mark V is Halo CE always looked kinda cartoony, Halo 2's Mark VI is when Master Chief starting looking cool.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Just an FYI, Laughtrey was just banned for some stuff he said in this thread, so before some of you speak alittle too freely, just remember that they actually ARE watching.

Well, they were watching because Dax PM'd a mod about Laughtrey making fun of him in this thread. :lol

TDG

Banned
Domino Theory said:
Just an FYI, Laughtrey was just banned for some stuff he said in this thread, so before some of you speak alittle too freely, just remember that they actually ARE watching.

Well, they were watching because Dax PM'd a mod about Laughtrey making fun of him in this thread. :lol
Yes, I have been banned for things in this thread before as well.

The mods leave us alone, and they know that we will summon them when they are needed.

Dirtbag

Kibbles said:
The 4th Halo: Fall of Reach movie concept art.

(Click to Enlarge)

Kind of a weird composition. Not feeling this one.
I'm also starting to wonder the reality behind these "leaked" concept arts. MS would have shut this down after the first one 'leaked'.

Blueblur1

Dirtbag 504 said:
I'm also starting to wonder the reality behind these "leaked" concept arts. MS would have shut this down after the first one 'leaked'.
Yeah, it seems a little odd that MS would let these leak out. But then that wouldn't be new with them. And is that a Heretic Elite to the right?

Chinner

Banned
played a game on last resort two days ago and I made loads of great sniper kills. pros here who claim to be leet should check this video out, and those who are trying to learn should also watch! Theres just so much you can take in!
http://www.gamevee.com/viewVideo/Halo_3/GeeVee/Sniper_skillz/702076

Afterwards once i got a + 20 ratio, frnakie joined my lobby and told me that i was really cool, but i kicked him out of my lobby becuase he would only slow me down

Trasher

Chinner said:
played a game on last resort two days ago and I made loads of great sniper kills. pros here who claim to be leet should check this video out, and those who are trying to learn should also watch! Theres just so much you can take in!
http://www.gamevee.com/viewVideo/Halo_3/GeeVee/Sniper_skillz/702076

Afterwards once i got a + 20 ratio, frnakie joined my lobby and told me that i was really cool, but i kicked him out of my lobby becuase he would only slow me down
:lol
I like how you ended it.

Wow. Nice find Kibbles.

fin said:
I actually perfer the Halo Wars version, are these Mark V? Or are they going for a Mark IV?
Yeah, these are Mark IV, the version used before Master Chief's Halo 1 variant, Mark V.

Spartan.JPG

I definitely think it's sick, but I wouldn't write off Mark V. I actually like it considerably more than Mark VI, which I find too curvy. On the box cover, yeah, it looks cartoony, but I've seen concept art and certain shots in-game which show how awesomely bad ass and angular the Mark V armor really was.

Blueblur1 said:
Yeah, it seems a little odd that MS would let these leak out. But then that wouldn't be new with them. And is that a Heretic Elite to the right?
I don't know if they're "leaks" to be perfectly honest. From what I understand, Stuart Beattie is trying to sway Microsoft while simultaneously convincing studios that this is the approach to go and that he's the man to helm the project.

I can't speak much for his ability, but his choice when it comes to how to handle the Halo fiction is completely broken and I'm hoping Microsoft discards any efforts on his part - either forgetting a Halo film at the compromise and sanctity of the story or finding someone who loves Halo and would stay true to it. In my opinion, any Halo film should do three important things:
  • Follow the basic concept and overarching story presented in Halo: Combat Evolved.
  • Include enough dramatic and action sequences which diverge from the original that makes it compelling, yet simultaneously stay true to the story itself.
  • Create a very solid foundation for future iterations while telling a complete and solid story as though there would be no others.
Of course, the fan boy approach is to throw a thousand teenage Spartans at the big screen and only have a Halo in the last twenty-five seconds of the film. Right?

Kibbles

Dirtbag 504 said:
If you go to the 2nd one on that site he does have a picture of the letter MS sent him, but he is saying it's just art from the guy working on art for the script. Lol, I don't know too busy to go find the link right now.

Dirtbag

Hey guys, to everyone on our PAX meetup thread (at the other place).

I posted some options for breakfast. Please go check them out and let me know.

GhaleonEB

So.

I was trying to explain to my wife that one of the things I like about Halo 3 MP are all the little stories that come out of the encounters. To me, they're often hilarious.

For example: This dude was trying to get into our base on Standoff to steal my flag. I saw him driving for the lower tunnel entrance, so I head over to meet him there. Our eyes lock from either end of the tunnel, and I let my Needler fly. He drops a bubble shield. I back around the corner, we exchange grenades banked around the bend. After a moment, I peek around to try and spot him. The bubble shield has been abandoned. He's clearly going for plan B: the rear tunnel.

Here is his attempt at that route. I picked up a little backup we had handy inside the base.

http://www.gamevee.com/viewVideo/Halo_3/GeeVee/Knock_Knock/702096

I dunno. I find little stuff like this amusing. I suspect I'm the only one. :\

fin

Mr Vociferous said:
Wow. Nice find Kibbles.

Yeah, these are Mark IV, the version used before Master Chief's Halo 1 variant, Mark V.

Spartan.JPG

That looks fucking awesome. Very realistic. I'm not writing off the Mark V, it's just Halo CE never made it look as good as it could. The lime green color dosen't do it for me. Still though, if I could where it everyday to work I totally would!

Anyone down for some games tonight? What happened to the MLG customs?????

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
GhaleonEB said:
So.

I was trying to explain to my wife that one of the things I like about Halo 3 MP

Huge mistake. I couldn't even explain why I liked Tropic Thunder.

Just tell her that her butt looks small in jeans and shut your mouth.

fin said:
That looks fucking awesome. Very realistic. I'm not writing off the Mark V, it's just Halo CE never made it look as good as it could. The lime green color dosen't do it for me. Still though, if I could where it everyday to work I totally would!

Anyone down for some games tonight? What happened to the MLG customs?????
I thought the Mark IV looked alright. The Mark VI made Chief definitely look more badass, though.

GhaleonEB

OuterWorldVoice said:
Huge mistake. I couldn't even explain why I liked Tropic Thunder.

Just tell her that her butt looks small in jeans and shut your mouth.
She asked why I was laughing so hard. I should have told her it's because I was thinking of her in blue jeans and just got happy all of a sudden.

Kibbles said:
The 4th Halo: Fall of Reach movie concept art.

(Click to Enlarge)

Just..no.

The third one was just a bunch of shitty renders and screenshots photoshop'd together. This week looks to be the same thing, except more shitty renders than screenshots.

Look at the Banshee/Sparrowhawk fight up there. It's the SAME EXACT THING from the third one.

The first one was strange, but okay. The second one was actually kind of awesome and believable, but these last two are just complete shit.

Tashi

are gaf halo rooms always that quiet? you'd think someone died...good game to all that played though...i definitely underestimated you guys...you guys are good

Cuckooo

Tashi0106 said:
are gaf halo rooms always that quiet? you'd think someone died...good game to all that played though...i definitely underestimated you guys...you guys are good

it was like 3am when i was playing so i couldnt be loud and troll the lobby like i usually do but gg nonetheless

Kibbles

Ajemsuhgao said:
Just..no.

The third one was just a bunch of shitty renders and screenshots photoshop'd together. This week looks to be the same thing, except more shitty renders than screenshots.

Look at the Banshee/Sparrowhawk fight up there. It's the SAME EXACT THING from the third one.

The first one was strange, but okay. The second one was actually kind of awesome and believable, but these last two are just complete shit.
Well I trust latinoreview, everything they put up is mostly true, plus they got a CAD letter from Microsoft on all of this. It's just quick concept art, sometimes the concept art for movies is just complete shit. Also, it was just said that this was art depicting scenes from the script that the artist made himself, not sure if it's even official concept art made for the movie.

def sim

Tashi0106 said:

The best part is when we sat around the lobby in complete silence for a few minutes.

All awkward turtle up ins that lobby.

Tashi0106 said:
Yo, mind if I add your GT? I want to play a game with you.

Yea but its OK sometimes you can just sit in silence without always flapping the mouths.

After all we were just waiting for more players.

I constantly kept going up against default and you just kept raping me I couldn't get a solid BR down tonite for some reason. Good games, wasn't a fan of those foundry maps though.

Kibbles said:
Well I trust latinoreview, everything they put up is mostly true, plus they got a CAD letter from Microsoft on all of this.
I think the letter is pretty clear that it has absolutely nothing to do with any film at all, but rather with the use of the franchise's IP without authorization or consent. I'm sure Microsoft has no issue with fan's sketching this, that or the other thing for recreational purposes, but the moment someone comes onto the scene in an effort to pitch concept art as though a film's being considered or even worked on, it makes sense for them to step in and drop a CAD on the culprit.

In this case, it's LatinoReview and the site editor has openly admitted that all of this is just an effort to get Microsoft and various film studios interested in the project and not because it's actually in the process of being made. Don't know why Beattie would allow his concept art to even grace the doorstep of LatinoReview after the site's editor went ape shit on MS just a week or two ago. It would seem, to me at least, to be antithetical to any realistic attempt to pitch Microsoft a project.

For me, it's pretty clear. Make a Halo film right or not at all. Based on the CAD and a number of other things, it looks very much like certain people at Microsoft are very intent on maintaining that ideal.

Tashi

xxjuicesxx said:
Yea but its OK sometimes you can just sit in silence without always flapping the mouths.

After all we were just waiting for more players.

I constantly kept going up against default and you just kept raping me I couldn't get a solid BR down tonite for some reason. Good games, wasn't a fan of those foundry maps though.

That Pit CTF game was epic. Even though we were supposed to end it after you guys got the second cap it was still intense. I did pretty shitty :(

fin

joystik said:
Remember back in February when Gearbox Software big boss Randy Pitchford teased his studio's next project as something "big"? Well, not just "big" but something that was "even bigger" than anything Gearbox is currently working on? Well, the kids at OXM sure remembered and they sent their spies deep undercover into Gearbox territory and came back with one heck of a rumor for their October issue: Gearbox is working on Halo 4 as a launch title for the next Xbox (NextBox?).

With Bungie admittedly uninterested in creating Halo games ad nauseum, and Gearbox one of the industry's top FPS developers, we've certainly heard crazier rumors. And there are few licenses that would get a studio chieftain to inadvertently slam his own games in development. Whatever the project is, Pitchford has said he'll be directing it himself, adding, "When you find out what this is, you'll likely agree that I can't oversell this one." Nope, you probably couldn't Randy. Overselling Halo is Microsoft's job anyway; you guys just make with the shooting of the aliens ... no, the other aliens.

discuss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom